Obituaries in 1914

JACOB ABRAHAM, believed to have been the first professional cricketer Northampton produced, died in March, at the age of 82. From 1856 until 1868 he was coach at Exeter College, Oxford. He appeared once or twice for XXII of Northamptonshire against the England Eleven, but without pronounced success. He was married four times, and his widow has lost four husbands.

THE REV. JOSEPH MOULD ADCOCK, formerly identified with the game in Warwickshire and New Zealand, died on January 24 of typhoid fever, contracted whilst in Switzerland. He was Rector of Willesborough, Kent.

THE 9TH DUKE OF ARGYLL ( JOHN DOUGLAS SUTHERLAND CAMPBELL), who was born in London on August 6th, 1845, died on May 2. Whilst Marquess of Lorne and Governor-General of Canada, he watched the English team play at Toronto in 1879, and had a long conversation with Richard Daft. He was patron of many cricket clubs.

MR. CHARLES HITCHEN ASHLEY, part proprietor of The Sportsman, died at Roehampton on April 26, in his 81st year. Between forty and fifty years ago he played occasionally for the Sporting Press.

CAPT. DANIEL GEORGE HAROLD AUCKINLECK, of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, was killed in action on October 21. He was born on September 18th, 1877, and was in the Winchester XI in 1894 and 1895 when, in his two matches against Eton, he scored 23 and 28 not out, 14 and 0. He was a useful batsman and a fair bowler.

THE 2ND LORD BELPER (HENRY STRUTT), who was born in London on May 20, 1840, died at Kingston Hall, Kegworth, Derbyshire, on July 26th. He was in the Harrow XI of 1859, when he played an innings of 33 against Eton, and stumped R. A. H. Mitchell twice. At Cambridge he appeared in some of the Trial matches, but did not obtain his blue, though he subsequently played for the Quidnuncs. In Lillywhite's Companion for 1860 he was described as A fine hitter, with fair defence; kept wicket well to slow bowling, but was not up to Lang's pace, which required a Lockyer. He was President of the M.C.C. in 1882, and of the Notts County C.C. in 1885 and 1886, and had been a member of the former since 1863. Mr. Haygarth records that, In December, 1865, when travelling in Greece with Lord A. Hervey and--Coore, Esq., he was taken prisoner by brigands, and had to pay (as well as the other two) £1,000 as a ransom for his release.

MR. MORTON PETO BETTS, who died on April 19, was a very useful cricketer, although he did not succeed in obtaining a place in the Harrow XI. In 1872 he appeared for Middlesex against Surrey at Prince's, and played once for Kent the same year and again in 1881, scoring altogether 83 runs with an average of 27.66. From 1887 until 1890 he was Secretary to the Essex County C.C. In club matches he made many good scores, playing frequently for Bickley Park, Streatham, the Incogniti, etc., and was very well known in the Association football world, first as a player and afterwards as a referee. He was born in London on August 30th, 1847.

MR. CHARLES ELLIOTT BLADES, who died in Brooklyn on November 25, was born at Barbados, September the 4th, 1882. He played for several years for the Pickwick C.C., and represented Barbados in the Inter-Colonial matches of 1905-6, scoring 40 in the second innings against Trinidad. Subsequently he appeared for the Beaconhurst C.C., playing in the Metropolitan District Cricket League of New York. He was a very free bat and a good slow left-handed bowler.

MR. GEORGE BORTHWICK, who died in London on April 22, aged 70, was in the Uppingham XI in 1860 and two following years, being contemporary with C. E. Green and J. G. Beevor. In 1862, when he was captain, it was said of him: Under him the Eleven had a most successful season, winning all their matches. An excellent bat, hitting well all round, and generally safe for runs; was very useful as long-stop. In 1861 and 1862 he headed the batting averages. It was on his suggestion that a professional--R. G. C. Armstrong, of Kent--was first engaged at Uppingham. Throughout his life he remained in close touch with the School, being a member of the Governing body, and for over a quarter of a century was President of the Uppingham Rovers. In 1864 and 1865 he pulled in the Cambridge boat. He was called to the Bar in 1868, and at the time of his death was a member of the Bar Council.

2ND, LIEUT, THE HON. VERE DOUGLAS BOSCAWEN, of the Coldstream Guards, who was killed in action near Ypres on October 29, was the third son of Viscount Falmouth and was born in 1890. In 1909 he was in the Eton XI, and in the drawn match with Harrow took three wickets for 21 runs in the second innings.

SIR EVELYN RIDLEY BRADFORD, 2nd Bart., Colonel of the Seaforth Highlanders, was killed in action in France in September. Born on April 16, 1869, he was thus in his forty-sixth year at the time of his death. He was a fine batsman with good defence, a safe field and a fast bowler whose action was not approved by several first-class umpires. Whilst playing for Hampshire in 1899 he was no-balled by White and Pickett in the match with the Australians at Southampton, and by A. F. Smith at Leicester. In the last-mentioned game, however, he scored 102, the next highest score in the innings being only 39, and this was his best batting performance for his county. Against Essex at Southampton three years before he had taken six wickets for 28 runs in the first innings and five for 40 in the second. In military matches he was a heavy run-getter, and as recently as May, 1913, had played an innings of 251 for Shorncliffe Garrison against Folkestone. For Aldershot Command v. Incogniti in May, 1895, he scored 248. His father, the Chief Commissioner of London Police, married twice, his first wife being a daughter of Edward Knight, of Hampshire and Kent, and his second a daughter of William Nicholson, of Harrow and M.C.C. Through his grandfather, Col. Bradford was thus related to a whole host of famous cricketers, including the Jenners, Normans, Nepeans, Barnards, Bonham-Carters, Wathens, and Dykes.

MR. JOSEPH HUGH BRAIN died at his home, Bonville, near Cardiff, after a long illness, on the 26th of June. He was born at Kingswood, Bristol, on the 11th of September, 1863. Mr. Brain will be remembered as a brilliant batsman for Clifton College, Oxford University, and Gloucestershire, but it cannot be said that he ever took quite the place in English cricket that at one time seemed in store for him. He was in the Clifton eleven in 1881-2-3, being captain in his last year, and was in the Oxford eleven from 1884 to 1887 inclusive, captaining the team in 1887. As a freshman at Oxford he shared in the memorable victory over the Australians in 1884--the match in which T. C. O'Brien scored 92 against Spofforth, Palmer, and Boyle. Mr. Brain played for Gloucestershire from 1883 to 1889, and assisted Glamorgan from 1890 onwards. For Gloucestershire, against the Australians at Clifton in 1884 he played an innings of 108. Playing in a free, commanding style, with a very straight bat, he was always good to look at. In 1885 Mr. Brain experienced the most heart-breaking series of failures that one can recall in connection with a batsman of his class. When the Oxford eleven came up to London he scored, in his second innings, 135 against the M. C. C. at Lord's and was obviously in his best form. Following that fine innings, however, he was out for 1 and 0 against Cambridge, and in the Gentlemen and Players' matches he was got rid of for 0 and 2 at the Oval, and 0 and 0 at Lord's. Whether or not these failures affected his nerve, he was never the same batsman afterwards, meeting with little success for Oxford in 1886 and 1887. Still, as captain, he had the satisfaction of leading Oxford to victory at Lord's in the latter year. Apart from the two hundreds referred to, he scored 143 for Gloucestershire, against Surrey at Clifton in 1884. Late in his career he hit up 144 for Glamorgan against the M. C. C. at Lord's in 1896, and 170 in an hour and a half for Cardiff against Clifton in 1899. He had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1885.

CAPT. C. HUNTER BROWNING, of the Eton XIs of 1896 and 1897, was killed in action in August. He was a stubborn batsman, and an excellent wicket-keeper with a quiet style. In his four Public School matches--against Harrow and Winchester--he scored 56 runs with on average of 18.66 and caught 11 at the wicket and stumped three. Among his contemporaries were B. J. T. Bosanquet, C. H. B. Marsham and F. H. Hollins. He had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1898.

MR. WILFRED METHVEN BROWNLEE, son of the biographer of W. G., died of meningitis at Wyke Regis, near Weymouth, on October 12, whilst serving with the 3rd Dorset Regiment. He was born at Cotham, Bristol, on April 18th, 1890, and was thus only twenty-four years of age at the time of his death. For four seasons, 1906 to 1909, he was in Clifton Eleven, for which he showed very good all-round cricket: in 1908 he headed the batting averages with 23.57, and took most wickets (49), and in 1909, when captain, averaged 32.54 with the bat and headed the bowling with 34 wickets for 15.02 runs each. In the latter year also, chosen for the Public School's XI against M. C. C. at Lord's, he took eight wickets for 61. On his first appearance for Gloucestershire--against Worcestershire, at Worcester, in 1909--he played an innings of 64, and if he had been able to play in first-class matches at all regularly he would no doubt have developed into an excellent cricketer. In the second innings of the match with Essex at Cheltenham in 1909 he scored 49 not out, and in partnership with Langdon (38 not out) scored 91 without loss of a wicket in twenty-five minutes: the innings was then declared closed, but Gloucestershire were unable to snatch a victory. Mr. Brownlee was a free hitting batsman, a fast-medium paced bowler who could make the ball swerve and a brilliant fieldsman.

THE 6TH DUKE OF BUCCLEUCH ( WILLIAM HENRY WALTER MONTAGUE DOUGLAS SCOTT) who, was born in London on September 9, 1831, died at Whitehall on November 5. He was one of the oldest members of the M.C.C., having been elected as far back as 1854, and in 1888 he was President of the Club. From 1889 to 1892, and in 1896 and 1897 he served on the Committee, and since the last mentioned year he had been one of the Trustees, succeeding the 4th Earl of Sefton in 1897. Many years ago he presented to the M.C.C. several eighteenth-century bats which had belonged to the 4th Duke, and these are still preserved in the members' writing room. Among his sons are the Earl of Dalkeith, who succeeds to the title, and was the M.C.C.'s President in 1913, and Lord George Scott, who scored 100 and 66 for Oxford in the University match of 1887.

JOHN WILLIAM BURNHAM died at Derby on April 20. He was born at Nottingham on June 6th, 1839, and was thus in his seventy-fifth year at the time of his death. In 1863 and 1865 he appeared for Notts Colts, in 1866 for Suffolk, between 1871 and 1876 in six matches for Derbyshire, and in 1872 for Prince's C. and G. His highest score for Derbyshire was 31 v. Lancashire at Manchester, in 1871. Whilst engaged at Freston, in Suffolk, in 1866, he made 1,060 runs, then a somewhat remarkable feat. He was an all-round cricketer, and in the field was generally long-stop.

MR. LEVI BUTTON, a Vice-President of the Hampshire County C.C., died in Southampton on January 28, at the age of 76.

CAPT. ARTHUR MAITLAND BYNG, of the Royal Fusiliers, was killed in action in France in September. He was one of the best known batsmen in the Army, being very sound, with a free style and plenty of scoring strokes. At Portsmouth in July 1905 he made 204 for Hampshire, Hogs v. Royal Navy, and in partnership with D. A. Steele (180) scored 335 for the first wicket. He was born on September 26th, 1872, and in his two matches for Sandhurst v. Woolwich--in 1894 and 1895--scored 10 and 87 not out, and took eighteen wickets. In 1905 he played in three matches for Hampshire.

MAJOR THE HON WILLIAM GEORGE SYDNEY CADOGAN, who was killed in action on November 12, was in the Eton eleven in 1897, when he was third in batting with an average of 16.40 for an aggregate of 82. He scored 9 and 10 not out against Harrow and 16 not out and 2 against Winchester. He was born on January 31, 1879, and was thus in his thirty-sixth year at the time of his death.

MR. JOHN CARMICHAEL, who played occasionally for Surrey between 1876 and 1881, died in America on August 24 as the result of a motor accident. He was born at Howden, in Yorkshire, on July 4, 1858, and educated at Cranleigh, where he was in the Eleven. Scores and Biographies said of him: Is a promising batsman, bidding fair to become a valuable recruit if he is able to continue the game. He is also a fine field, generally taking cover point or slip. In all matches for Surrey he made 241 runs with an average of 10.95, his highest innings being 47 against Notts at Trent Bridge in 1877.

THE REV. FATHER RICHARD CHICHESTER, of Minehead, died on February 7, in his forty-seventh year. A very keen cricketer, he was for some years captain of the Minehead C.C. and playing member of the Somerset Stragglers C.C.

THE 5TH EARL OF CLARENDON ( EDWARD HYDE VILLIERS), K. G., G. C. B., who died on October 2, was President of the Hertfordshire County C.C. He was born in London on Feb. 11, 1846.

MR. JAMES CLARK, for forty years a member of the Hunslet Club and at the time of his death Vice-President of the Club, died at Hunslet, Leeds, in January, aged 65. In 1878 he played for XVIII of Hunslet against the first Australian team, scoring 3 not out.

MAJOR HERBERT T. CLIFF, of the 3rd Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment, who fell in action on October 13, was a prominent member of the Yorkshire Gentlemen's C.C. He was in his 40th year at the time of his death.

MR. GEORGE COLE, a well-known Sussex cricket journalist, died at Brighton on December 22, aged 73. For 46 years he was an assistant master at Brighton Grammar School. He will be pleasantly remembered by pressmen who have watched cricket at Brighton during the last thirty years or more. He was a prominent Freemason.

LIEUT. ARTHUR EDWARD JEUNE COLLINS, of the Royal Engineers, who was killed in action on November 11, came suddenly into note by scoring 628 not out for Clarke's House v. North Town, in a Junior house match at Clifton College, in June, 1899, when only thirteen years old. During the six hours and fifty minutes he was in he hit a 6, four 5's, thirty-one 4's, thirty-three 3's, and 146 2's, carrying his bat through the innings, and Clarke's, who scored 836, won by an innings and 688 runs. Collins also obtained eleven wickets in the match, seven in the first innings and four in the second, and in partnership with Redfern (13) put on as many as 183 for the last wicket. In 1901 and 1902 he was in the College XI, in the former year scoring 342 runs with an average of 38.00, his highest innings being 112 against Old Cliftonians. He was a free-hitting batsman, but his military duties prevented him from taking cricket seriously: still he made many good scores in Army matches, and for Old Cliftonians v. Trojans at Southampton in August, 1913, he and F. G. Robinson made 141 without being parted for the first wicket in thirty-eight minutes, Collins scoring 63 and his partner 77. His best performance at Lord's was to make 58 and 36 for R.E. v. R.A. in 1913. He was born in India in 1885, gazetted second Lieutenant in 1904 and promoted Lieutenant in 1907.

MR. HENRY COOKE, for many years Treasurer of the Sussex County C.C., and one of the oldest members of the Club, died at Hove on January 21, aged 89.

MR. BRANSBY BEAUCHAMP COOPER, died at Geelong, Australia, on August the 7th. He was born in India on March 15, 1844, and was thus in his 71st year. Mr. B. B. Cooper will be remembered by old cricketers as one of the long line of famous Rugby batsmen that began, perhaps, with C.G. Wynch and culminated in William Yardley. He was in the Rugby eleven in 1860-1861, among his contemporaries being F. R. Evans, C. Booth, S. Linton, M. T. Martin, and E. Rutter. Mr. Cooper made his first appearance at Lord's for Rugby against the M. C. C. on June 27, 1860. On the two following days he was on the winning side against Marlborough, scoring 33 in an innings of 152. After leaving Rugby he did not go to Oxford or Cambridge, but he soon became a prominent figure in first-class cricket, playing for Middlesex from 1864 to 1867 inclusive, and for Kent in a few matches in 1868 and 1869. It is worthy of mention that he took part in 1864 in the first match played by the then recently-formed Middlesex County Club. His fame as a batsman in England rests, however, on what he did in representative matches. In 1865 he was picked for the Gentlemen at Lord's and played a very fine innings of 70 against the bowling of Grundy, Wootton, Alfred Shaw, Hayward, and George Bennett. The match was in two respects memorable. W. G. Grace, then just under seventeen, was, like Cooper, making his first appearance in the match, and the Gentlemen, who had a splendid team, gained their first victory over the Players since 1853, winning by eight wickets. The survivors of the match, now that Mr. Cooper has gone, are W. G. Grace, R. D. Walker, Lord Cobham (then the Hon. C. G. Lyttelton), F. R. Evans, and W. F. Maitland among the Gentlemen, and George Wootton alone among the Players. Mr. Cooper reached his highest point in 1869 when he was associated with W. G. Grace in two notable achievements at the Oval. In the Gentlemen and Players match the two batsmen scored 105 together for the first wicket in the second innings, Cooper making 40 and W.G. 83. Three weeks later, for the Gentlemen of the South against the Players of the South, they set up a record which remained unbeaten for twenty-three years. Going in against a total of 475 by the Players they scored 283 for the first wicket in three hours and forty minutes. W. G. made 180 and Cooper 101, both being caught and bowled by Tom Mantle who, tried for the first time, got the two wickets in six balls. Towards the end of July 1869, the two batsmen took part in a North and South match at Sheffield. W. G. Grace played a great innings of 122, out of a total of 173, against George Freeman--then at his very best--the only other double figure score in the innings being Cooper's 23. The record of 283 for the first wicket was first beaten in a big match when, in 1892, H. T. Hewett and L. C. H. Palairet sent up 346 for Somerset against Yorkshire, at Taunton.

Mr. Cooper left England soon after the season of 1869 and, after a short stay in the United States, settled down in Australia where he spent the rest of his life. He at once took a leading part in Australian cricket, playing for Victoria for several years in the matches with New South Wales. As regards his Australian career, two facts stand out above all others. On December 26, 27, and 29, 1873, he played for Eighteen of Victoria against W. G. Grace's England eleven, and scored 84 out of a total of 266. It was the first match of the Englishmen's tour and the Eighteen won by an innings and 21 runs. A little more than three years later--in March, 1877--Mr. Cooper took part at Melbourne in the first match in which Australians met English cricketers on even terms. Australia beat James Lillywhite's England team by 45 runs, Charles Bannerman's memorable innings of 165 and Tom Kendall's splendid bowling bringing about the unexpected result. Mr. Cooper scored 15 and 3, being bowled by Southerton in the first innings and Alfred Shaw in the second. Mr. Cooper who, like most of the amateur batsmen of his day, played in very attractive style, had no lack of hitting power, but patience and sound defence were his great assets. He was a fairly good wicket-keeper without approaching the front rank.

MR. HARRY CUDWORTH, a member of the Burnley C.C. for twenty years and one of the best-known players in Lancashire League cricket, died at Burnley early in April. In 1900 he appeared in a couple of matches for Lancashire, against the West Indians playing an innings of 102.

THE REV. THOMAS SPENCER CURTEIS died at Brampton Rectory, Suffolk, on June 5, aged 71. He was born at Shelton, in Norfolk, on March 10, 1843, and educated at Bury St. Edmund's Grammar School where, in 1862, he obtained sixteen wickets out of twenty when playing against Norwich Grammar School. He was coached by Baldwin and in the year mentioned was described as A neat bat, but rather too fond of hitting; as a bowler his services are very valuable, for being left-handed and very straight he is exceedingly difficult to play; an excellent field. At Cambridge he was in the Eleven in 1864 and 1865, being contemporary with A. W. T. Daniel, M. T. Martin, the Hon. C. G. Lyttelton, C. Booth, H. M. Marshall, and the Hon. F. G. Pelham. In his two matches with Oxford he scored 13 runs in four innings, twice not out, and obtained nine wickets for 104 runs. In each year was on the losing side, Oxford, under R. A. H. Mitchell's captaincy, being then very strong. In 1865 he was one of the Treasurers of the Cambridge University C.C., and he played for Norfolk between 1864 and 1880 and for Suffolk between 1870 and 1885. When assisting twenty-two of the former county against the United South of England Eleven at Norwich in August, 1869, he took nine wickets in seventeen overs at a cost of only 14 runs in an innings of 33.

THE REV. EDMUND THOMAS DAUBENY died at Southacre Rectory, Swaffham, on August 20, aged 74. He was born in London on July 14, 1840, and educated at Bromsgrove School. At Oxford, where he was contemporary with R. D. Walker, R. A. H. Mitchell, T. P. Garnier and F. G. Inge, he was in the Eleven in 1861 and 1862, in which years, in his matches against Cambridge (both of which were lost by Oxford), he made 14 runs with an average 4.50, and took nine wickets at a cost of 17.55 runs each. Mr. Haygarth has recorded in Scores and Biographies that his bowling was very straight, and on dead ground considered difficult to play. He was, in addition, a severe hitter, though sometimes lacking confidence. In 1862 he assisted Sixteen of his University in their famous tie-match with the All England Eleven on the Christchurch ground, and certainly no-one had better reason than he to look back upon the game with satisfaction, seeing that in the first innings he took eight wickets for 14 runs, and in the second, whilst fielding at first slip, caught out the first three men off Mr. Reade's bowling. His chief batting success was an innings of 78 for XVIII of Lansdown against England in June, 1864. Mr. Daubeny was 6ft. 1½ in. in height, and weighed 12st. 7lbs.

MR. ISSAC R. DAVIS, a great lover of the game, long actively identified with the Young America C.C., died on February 7, aged 50.

MR. CHARLES GERRARD DEANE, who played occasionally for Somerset, died at Multan, India, of fever, in November, whilst serving with the 1st Detachment of the 5th Devon Territorials. He was born at Oakhill, Somerset, in 1885, was educated at Taunton School and played occasionally for Somerset with success. He was a good batsman and a fine field, but could spare little time for first-class cricket.

MR. ROBERT AUGUSTUS DE LASAUX died at Canterbury on December 7, aged 80. He was born at Canterbury, where his father was Coroner for East Kent for 64 years, on November 24, 1834, and was educated at Canterbury and Kennington (London). He was a good fast-medium round-armed bowler, breaking both ways, a fine cutter, and in the field, where he was very smart, either point or long-stop. He was one of the founders of the St. Lawrence C.C. and one of the original members of the Band of Brothers. His name will be found in several matches played by the Gentlemen of Kent, but he appeared only once for the County--against England at Canterbury in 1858--when he was unfortunate enough to obtain spectacles. He was a pupil of Fuller Pilch.

CAPT. GEORGE ARTHUR MURRAY DOCKER, of the Royal Fusiliers, was killed in action on November 17. He was born on November 18, 1876, and was in the Highgate School XI in 1895, when he scored 312 runs with an average of 18.35 and took 44 wickets for 14.43 runs each. Since 1898 he had been a member of the M. C. C., for which he played frequently when military duties permitted, his best feat for the old club in first-class matches being to make 29 and 16 against Kent at Lord's in 1912. He also played for the Free Foresters and Oxford University Authentics, and in 1913 was a member of the M. C. C.'s team which visited the West Indies. He served in the South African War 1899-1901 and obtained the Queen's Medal with four clasps.

LIEUT. PHILIP WALTER RANDOLPH DOLL, of the Charterhouse eleven of 1907, fell in action near Ypres on October 31, aged 25. For the School he had a batting average of 7.37 and took sixteen wickets for 23.56 runs each. Since 1911 he had been a member of the M.C.C. He served in the 8th King's (Liverpool) Regiment.

THE REV. ARTHUR WILLIAM DORMAN, of the Cambridge XI of 1886, died at Hinton Charterhouse, near Bath, on January 7, aged 51. He was educated at Dulwich, where he was in the Eleven in 1879 and 1880, being captain in the latter year, when he was described as A first-rate left-handed bowler, with a high delivery and good break; a good straight bat, playing the ball very hard; a good judge of a run; fields well, especially at slip. His best performance in first-class cricket was to take nine wickets for 103 runs--four for 48 and five for 55--for his University against Yorkshire at Cambridge in 1886. Later in the season he appeared for the Gentlemen at the Oval, where his bowling proved expensive, his one wicket costing 48 runs. He was born on October 24, 1862.

MR. WILLIAM STEWART EADIE, who was born at Burton-on Trent on November the 2nd, 1864, died at Barrow Hall, Derby, on September 20, aged 49. He began to appear for Derbyshire in 1885, but although he continued to play for the county until 1899, claims of business prevented him from assisting the side regularly. It was said of him: At the nets is one of the finest bats in the county, but does not do himself justice in matches, playing quite a different game. His best feats were to score 62 v. Lancashire at Manchester in 1885, and 51 v. Notts, at Trent Bridge four years later.

THE 3RD EARL OF ELLESMERE ( Francis Charles Granville Egerton) who was born in London on April 5, 1847, died in Cleveland Square on July 13. He was an enthusiastic cricketer and arranged many matches at his residences in Lancashire, Cambridgeshire and Northamptonshire, but he was not in the Eleven either at Eton or Cambridge. He was father-in-law of Sir George Kemp, of Cambridge and Lancashire fame, now Lord Rochdale, and father of Viscount Brackley, the new Earl.

MR. ROBERT WICKSTEAD ETHELSTON, a retired Captain in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, shot himself at Malpas, Cheshire, on April 27. He was born on April 12, 1860, and was in the Winchester XI in 1877, when he scored 1 and 0 v. Eton. Since 1888 he had been a member of the M.C.C. He was a well-known huntsman and owned steeplechase horses.

MR. NEWBOLD ETTING, who died in Philadelphia on December 8, visited England as a member of the Philadelphia team of 1889, for which side he scored 175 runs with an average of 10.93. He was born in Philadelphia on August 23, 1893, and was described as: A very hard hitter; a fine field anywhere. For the Merion C.C. he made many good scores, including 113 v. Philadelphia in 1888, 108 v. Belmont in 1890, and 136 v. St. David in 1893. In 1888 he toured the West Indies with a United States team; but met with little success.

THE REV. ARCHIBALD HUGH CONWAY FARGUS, who went down in the Monmouth, Admiral Cradock's flagship, in the action in the Pacific on November 1, was born at Clifton, Bristol, on December 15, 1878, and was educated at Clifton, Haileybury and Cambridge. He left Clifton too young to be in the Eleven, but played for Haileybury in 1897 and 1898, making 7, 78 and 17 and taking eleven wickets for 123 runs in his two matches v. Cheltenham, and scoring 1, 48, 0, and 1 v. Wellington. He appeared for Cambridge in the drawn games with Oxford in 1900 and 1901, in which he made 8 and 17 not out obtained six wickets for 260 runs. He assisted Gloucestershire in 1900 and 1901 and Devonshire in 1904, and had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1901. In first-class cricket his highest score was 61 for Cambridge University v. Sussex at Brighton in 1901, and his best performance with the ball to take twelve Middlesex wickets for 87 for Gloucestershire at Lord's in 1900. He was described as a stout hitter, a good hammer and tongs bowler, and a hardworking field. Since 1907 he had been a Chaplain in the Royal Navy, and in 1913 was appointed Vicar of Askham Richard, York. At the beginning of the War he became temporary Acting-Chaplain to the Monmouth, on which he went down.

ALDERMAN JOHN PARR FORD, the senior member of the Nottingham Corporation, died on July the 2nd. He was manager of the English team which visited America in 1879 under the captaincy of Richard Daft, he then residing in Philadelphia.

MR. WILLIAM FOSTER, father of Mr. F. R. Foster, and one of the best-known members of the Warwickshrie County C.C., died at Mosely, Birmingham, on April 23.

MR. GEORGE WILLIAM FROWD, of Messrs. Lillywhite, Frowd and Co., died at Forest Hill on November 13, aged 70. For many years he was proprietor of James Lillywhite's Cricketers' Annual.

CAPT. OTTO CLAUDE SKIPWITH GILLIATT, who was killed in action on October 30, was in the Eton XI in 1899, when he was second in the averages with 34.36, and scored 52 and 34 v. Winchester, and 53 and 54 not out v. Harrow. He had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1903, and was 32 years of age at the time of his death.

MR. ROBERT GOODWIN, for many years a useful member of the New York Veterans' Association, died at Brooklyn on February 10, in his 71st year.

MAJOR LORD BERNARD CHARLES GORDON-LENNOX, third son of the Duke of Richmond, who was born on May 1, 1878, was killed in action on November 10 whilst serving with the Grenadier Guards. He did not obtain a place in the Eton XI, but was more fortunate at Sandhurst, for whom he played an excellent innings of 80 against Woolwich in 1897. Subsequently he became a member of the M. C. C. and I Zingari, and in 1914 visited Egypt with the latter's team, scoring 119 against All Egypt at Alexandria. For the Household Brigade Lord Bernard was a prolific scorer.

MR. JOSEPH GOTHARD, who died in September, had been for fifteen years a member of the Warwickshire County C.C. Committee.

THOMAS GREGORY, who was on the Trent Bridge ground-staff from 1905 to 1907, fell in action in November. He never played for the county, and subsequently enlisted in the King's Royal Rifles. In military matches his slow left-hand bowling obtained many wickets, and at Aldershot on May 16, 1913, playing for the King's Royal Rifle Corps, he bowled down all ten wickets of the 2nd Worcestershire Regiment at a cost of only 15 runs. In 1913 he appeared for Hampshire against Oxford University but met with no success.

ALEXANDER GUILD, for almost twenty years professional to the Northumberland County C.C., died at Gosforth Park Hotel on March 16. He was born at Pennycuik, in Scotland, on January 16, 1839, and was a useful batsman, a rather fast round-armed bowler, and in the field generally short-slip. On one occasion, when playing for XXII of Darlington against the All-England Eleven, he dismissed Hayward, Carpenter and Parr in four balls.

CAPT. JOHN ALEXANDER HALLIDAY, of the Harrow XI of 1893, died at Le Touquet from wounds received in France on November 13. In his match against Eton, which Harrow lost by nine wickets, he scored 15 and 4. It was said of him: Hits hard, but his batting is utterly devoid of style, though sometimes effective; good field. He was born on April 10, 1875, and threw the hammer for Cambridge in the Sports of 1906 and 1907.

MR. WILLIAM DRUMMOND HAMILTON, who died on March 8, was born at Mellifont, near Drogheda, on May 4, 1859. He was educated at Haileybury, where he was in the Eleven in 1876 and 1877, when he was described as: A thoroughly good left-handed bat, who always plays the game and hits well to all parts of the field; a capital point. In 1882 he gained his blue at Oxford, but in the match with Cambridge (in which he was so nervous that he once started the wrong way when called for a run) scored only 9 and 0. Earlier in the season he had made 53 v. the Gentlemen of England at Oxford, and in 1883 he played an innings of 54 for M. C. C. against University on the same ground.

LIEUT. RALPH ESCOTT HANCOCK, of the Devon Regiment, who was killed in action in November, had appeared occasionally for Somerset. He was in his 33rd year, and was a useful batsman. He was awarded the D.S.O. for conspicuous gallantry.

MR. FREDERICK GEORGE HARDING, for very many years a familiar figure at Lord's, died at Southgate on March 23, in his 84th year. He was for long an active member of the old Islington Albion C.C., and also one of the founders of the Hastings Festival.

MR. CHARLES STEWART HARDY, President of the Kent County C.C. in 1881, died suddenly in London on March 5. He was born at North Bierley, in Yorkshire, on December 18, 1842, and was educated at Eton and Oxford, but did not play in either Eleven. At his seat, Chilham Castle, he had a private ground where a great deal of cricket has been played, especially in the seventies. Mr. Hardy was a nephew of the 1st Earl of Cranbrook, a J.P. and D.L., and High Sheriff in 1874.

MR. NORRIS RHODES HEPWORTH died at Headingley, Leeds, on February 20th, aged 57. He was a member of the Yorkshire County C.C. Committee and founder of the Hepworth Cup Competition for Leeds clubs, and formerly captain of the Leeds C.C.

CAPT. GEOFFREY MAURICE IVAN HERFORD, R.M.L.I., who lost his life on H.M.S. Monmouth during the naval battle in the Pacific on November 1st, was in the Fettes XI in 1900. At Lord's in 1910 he played for The Royal Navy v. The Army, but did little, scoring only 0 not out and 7. He was 32 years of age at the time of his death.

MR. HARRY HILLIARD, one of the oldest Australian cricketers, and the last survivor but one of the first match between New South Wales and Victoria--at Melbourne in March, 1856--died in Sydney (his native place) on March 19. He was born on November 7, 1826, and was thus in his 88th year. Altogether he played in five games against Victoria, with 20, at Sydney in January, 1857, as his highest score. Few men followed cricket more closely, and for very many years he watched the matches between the two States both in Melbourne and Sydney. In 1878 he visited England and saw the Australian team of that year win their memorable match with the M. C. C. at Lord's--an event, almost needless to add, which occasioned him the greatest satisfaction.

LIEUT. HAROLD EDWIN HIPPISLEY, of the 1st Gloucestershire Regiment, was killed in action in October. He was in the Eleven at King's School, Bruton, whose batting averages he headed in 1909 with 62.90, his highest score being 113. The same season he made 40 not out for Somerset against Worcestershire on the Worcester ground. He was born at Wells on September 3, 1890, was a brilliant hockey-player, and was married on the day his regiment was ordered to France. In scoring 150 for Old Brutonians v. Sidmouth, at Sidmouth in July, 1911, he and P. W. Vasey (282 not out) added 396 for the third wicket.

MR. EDWARD THEODORE HIRST, the old Oxford Blue, died at Llandudno on October 26. He was born at Huddersfield on May 6, 1859, and was in the Rugby XI in 1874 and two following years, being contemporary with G. F. Vernon and C. M. Cunliffe. In 1875, when he played an innings of 151 against the Old Rugbeians, he headed the averages with over 31 runs an innings, and in the following season he was captain. During his last year he greatly distinguished himself by scoring 100 not out v. M.C.C. and Ground at Lord's against the bowling of William Mycroft. In his three matches against Marlborough, however, he did little, making only 4, 19, 0, 8 and 0. Proceeding to Oxford, he played against Cambridge in 1878, 1879, and 1880, making in the three matches 114 runs with an average of 22.80. In 1878 he scored 114 against M.C.C. and Ground at Lord's. Between 1877 and 1888 he appeared in 23 matches for Yorkshire, and, with 87 not out against the Australians at Bradford in 1888 as his highest score, made 387 runs with an average of 11.38. He was a free batsman, with good defence, and very useful in the field, and in May 1887, scored 200 for Huddersfield against Leeds Clarendon. From 1877 to 1880 he was in the University XV.

MR. JAMES W. HOBBS, of Norbury Hall, Surrey, died on June 22, in his 72nd year. He was a great lover and supporter of the game and arranged for many good matches to be played on his private ground. In 1888 the Australians played there against Mr. C. I. Thornton's XI, and in 1887 and Gentlemen of Canada concluded their tour there with a match against a side with the same title.

LIEUT. WILLIAM HUGH HOLBECH, of the Scots Guards, died of wounds on November 1, aged 32. He was educated at Eton, but was not in the Eleven, but subsequently appeared with some success for Warwickshire. He was born in Canada on August 18th, 1882, and had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1903.

JOHN HOLLAND, who was born at Nantwich on April 7, 1869, died on August 23. He was a good, steady batsman with a pretty style and many strokes, and played during his comparatively short career for three counties-- Leicestershire, Lancashire, and Cheshire. Probably his best innings was 72 for Leicestershire against Notts at Leicester in 1893: for Lancashire his largest score was 63 v. Essex at Manchester in 1901. As a curiosity it may be recalled that in the Leicestershire v. Hampshire match at Leicester in 1894, he was given out for handling the ball.

MR. SYDNEY HOLLINS, for twenty years a member of the Lancashire County C.C. Committee, died on February 19, aged 63. He was formerly captain of the Cheshire XI, but upon that side being disbanded identified himself with the game in Lancashire.

MAJOR ARTHUR HUGHES-ONSLOW, born in 1862, died on August 17, whilst on service with the British Expeditionary Force. He was in the Eton XI in 1880, when he scored 41 and 0 v. Winchester and 24 and 6 v. Harrow. He was then described as A good bat, hitting well and hard; a fair field. He was also well-known as a steeple-chase rider, an Association footballer, and a rider to hounds, and three times rode the winner of the Grand Military Steeplechase at Sandown. It was while engaged as remount officer at Southampton that he was taken fatally ill.

CAPT. SEYMOUR FREDERIC AUCKLAND ALBERT HURT, of the Royal Scots Fusiliers, was born on October 18, 1879, and was killed in action in France in October. He was in the Harrow XI in 1897 and 1898, and in his two matches against Eton scored 7 not out and 0, and took six wickets for 171 runs. Among his contemporaries were T. G. O. Cole, W. P. Robertson, and E. M. Dowson. He was described as A steady medium bowler. Poor field. Useful bat to fast bowling; very weak to slow.

MR. MICHAEL CHARLES JACOBS, a well-known club cricketer in Natal, died on May 5. He was born at Geelong, Victoria, in December, 1887.

MR. SAMUEL JOHNSON, who died at East Chester, N.Y., on February 7, was President of the Mount Vernon C.C. and Treasurer of the Van Cortlandt Park League. He was born at Otley, in Yorkshire, on January 14, 1856.

MR. LOUIS R. KAYE, a useful batsman identified with the Phoenix C.C., of Halifax, N.S., and later with the Wanderers, died at Halifax on February 5, aged 63. He was also a quoit champion.

MR. CHARLES ROGER KENNAWAY, of the Harrow Eleven of 1898, died of typhoid fever at La Perle, St. Lucia, on November 30, aged 34. In the match against Eton he scored 1 not out and was unsuccessful as a bowler. He was described as A slow right-hand bowler; varies his pace well. Only moderate field.

LIEUT. THOMAS EDWARD LAWSON-SMITH, of the 13th Hussars, who was killed in action about November the 11th, was in the Harrow eleven in 1908, during which season he made 232 runs with an average of 21.09, being third in the averages to G. E. V. Crutchley and the Hon. Rupert Anson. Against Eton he played an invaluable first innings of 79 not out, thereby having much to do with Harrow's success by ten wickets. He batted for just over three hours for his runs, and drove with plenty of power and steadily improved upon a moderate beginning. He was born on March 14, 1889.

THE VENERABLE FRANCIS LEAR, late Archdeacon of Sarum, who died at Salisbury on February 19, was born at Dounton, Wilts., on August 23, 1823, and was thus one of the oldest of cricketers. At Winchester, where he was contemporary with V. C. Smith and Fred Gale, he was in the Eleven in 1841, scoring 0 and 1 v. Harrow, and 1 and 11 v. Eton. In 1843 and 1844 he played for Oxford against Cambridge, scoring 1 and 6 in the former year and 6 in the latter. He lived practically all his life in the Salisbury diocese and served under six Bishops.

SIR JOSEPH FRANCIS LEESE, BART., K.C., died at Sutton Park Cottage, Guildford, on July 29. He was born at Manchester on February 28, 1845, and appeared occasionally for Lancashire between 1865 and 1877. In matches of note his highest scores were 72 for Gentlemen of Lancashire v. Gentlemen of Yorkshire at Manchester in 1867 and 62 for XVIII Veterans v. M. C. C. in the Centenary match at Lord's in 1887. His sons were all useful cricketers, and his brother, Mr. Ernest Leese, also appeared for Lancashire. Sir Joseph was M.P. for Accrington from 1892 until 1909 and was created a baronet in 1908. Since 1878 he had been a member of the M.C.C.

MR. JOHN HENRY LESTER, author of Bat v. Ball, published in 1900, died in London on November 29. His book is invaluable for purposes of reference, but unfortunately it never met with adequate reward. He was 62 years of age.

PRIVATE F. S. LOWE, a promising young fast bowler, was killed in action in September, whilst serving in The Buffs. He did good work for Kent 2nd XI.

SIR NEVILE LUBBOCK, K.C.M.G., the third son of Sir John William Lubbock, Bart, F.R.S., and a member of the well-known cricketing brotherhood, died very suddenly at Oakley, Bromley Common, in Kent, on September 12. Born in London on March 31, 1839, he was in his 76th year. He left Eton too young to be in the Eleven, but was a good steady batsman, and usually fielded at point, and was associated with F. H. Norman as keeper of Six-penny. In 1860 he appeared in two matches for Kent, scoring 24 runs with an average of 8. His life and work were devoted chiefly to West Indian interests.

MR. REGINALD JAFFRAY LUCAS, of the Eton XI's of 1881 and three following seasons--he was captain in 1883 and 1884--died at The Albany, Piccadilly, on May 9. In his eight Public School matches he made 151 runs with an average of 11.61, his highest score being 36 against Winchester in 1881. At Cambridge he played an innings of 82 in the Freshmen's match of 1885, but was not tried in the Eleven. He was born on December 28, 1865, and from 1900 to 1906 represented Portsmouth in the Conservative interest. He had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1885.

MR. S. LUNT, for twenty-five years scorer to the Lancashire County C.C., died at Manchester on March 27, aged 80. He retired three years before his death.

MR. Joseph Makinson died at his home, Roundthorne, Sale, in Cheshire, on the 21st of March. Born on August the 25th, 1836, he was thus in his 78th year. Only a name of the present generation, Mr. Makinson was one of the great cricketers of his day. Had he been able to devote more time to the game he would, beyond doubt, have earned a still higher reputation. Even as it was, he did more than enough for fame. After his school days at Huddersfield College and Owen's College, Manchester, he was for three years--1856-7-8--the bright particular star of Cambridge cricket. In those three years he was only once on the victorious side against Oxford at Lord's, fairly winning the 1856 match by his splendid all-round play. He took eight wickets--three for 4 runs and five for 36--and scored 31 and 64. Cambridge had 123 to get in the last innings and only won by three wickets, no one except Makinson and J. W. Marshall, who made 16 not out, being able to do anything with the Oxford bowling. A score of 64 at Lord's in 1856 was, of course, a vastly greater feat than it would be in these days. It was no fault of Makinson's that Cambridge lost the match in 1857 as he took ten wickets--seven for 38 and three for 65--and scored four and 30, being run out in his first innings. In 1858 he finished his Cambridge career with a failure. It is true that three wickets fell to him, but he was bowled out for six and five, Oxford winning the match in a single innings. Among many good innings at Fenner's he hit up two hundreds, scoring 126 in 1857 against the Gentlemen of Cambridgeshire, with Arnold and Reynolds, and 136 in 1858 against the Professionals of Cambridge with four Gentlemen. This latter innings was the more remarkable of the two, as the professionals' side included the great bowler Buttress, then at his very best. Thirteen years after he had left the University, Mr. Makinson appeared once at Fenner's. In June, 1871, he played for the Gentlemen of Lancashire against Cambridge and, as if to show the new generation how fields were won, scored 64 and 65 against the bowling of Powys, Bray, and Cobden. It is, however, upon two performances against the travelling elevens that Mr. Makinson's fame as a batsman really rests. He was one of the very few men who ever made a hundred against the All England Eleven, scoring, in 1860, 104 on the Broughton ground at Manchester. This was a great feat against the bowling of Jackson and Wilsher, both in their prime. Seventeen years later, also on the Broughton ground, he scored 104 not out against the United South of England Eleven. Mr. Makinson was associated with Lancashire in the earliest days of the county club, and took part in July, 1865, in the first county match at Old Trafford. His scores were 45 and 0, Lancashire beating Middlesex by 62 runs. He played on and off for Lancashire till 1868, and again appeared in the eleven in 1873 and 1874. He kept up his cricket by playing for the Broughton Club, of which he was for years the life and soul. In the Gentlemen and Players' matches he was only seen on three or four occasions. He did well at the Oval, scoring 49 in 1860 and 64 not out in 1864, but at Lord's in 1860 Jackson's bowling was too much for him. W. G. Grace in his book on cricket, published in 1891, and the late Richard Daft in Kings of Cricket, have both paid warm tributes to Mr. Makinson's powers as a batsman. A man rather below medium height--he was not quite 5ft. 7ins.--he was a brilliant player of the forward school, going out of his ground to hit in a way quite foreign to the style of modern players. Of his fast bowling it is said in the Badminton book that he was quite as successful against Oxford as his merits justified. Mr. Makinson was four many years Stipendiary Magistrate at Salford. On retiring from the Bench, he spoke with some pride of the very few cases in which his decisions had been reversed. He never lost his interest in cricket, and was for some time Chairman of the Lancashire Committee.

THE HON. JOHN NEVILE MANNERS, eldest son of Lord and Lady Manners, was killed in action on September 1, near Villiers Cotterets, in France. He was born in 1892, and gazetted to the Grenadier Guards in 1912. In 1910 he was in the Eton XI, and he did well in all the school matches, scoring 4 and 40 not out v. Harrow, 9 and 23 v. Winchester and 36 not out v. Haverford. It was his very plucky partnership with Lister Kaye in Eton's second innings of the game with Harrow which enabled Eton to win in sensational style by 9 runs after following-on. Fowler subsequently carried off the honours of the match with some wonderful bowling, but Manners' fine hitting paved the way. He was an excellent field and in March last won the Singles Championship in the military rackets tournament.

2ND LIEUT. HUGH DAYRELL MCARTHUR, who died as the result of an accident on November 3rd at the early age of 26, was in the Winchester eleven in 1906 and 1907. In the former year he averaged 18.33 and in the latter 33.36. He was a free, hard-hitting batsman, and in his two innings against Eton scored 25 and 58: in the 1907 match, also, he took two wickets for nine runs. Since 1910 he had been a member of the M.C.C.

MR. W. MORGAN, who died at Bath on October 22, aged 52, had played for Glamorgan, M. C. C., and the Lansdown C.C. He was a member of the Somerset County C.C. Committee. Since 1891 he had been a member of the M.C.C.

MR. G. A. MORROW, one of Ireland's best all-round cricketers, died in a nursing hospital in Dublin on November 16th, aged 37. He played in many representative Irish matches, generally with success, although against the South Africans in 1907 he was unfortunate enough to make spectacles. A year later, however, he scored 14 and 49 for Ireland against Yorkshire, who had Rhodes, Brown (of Darfield), Booth and Newstead to bowl for them, and in 1909 was seen at his best when visiting America as a member of the Gentlemen of Ireland's team. His best performance was to carry his bat through the innings for 50 against the Gentlemen of Philadelphia at Haverford, and at the end of the tour he headed the batting with 288 runs (average 32) and was second in the bowling with 12 wickets for 11.50 runs each.

CAPT. THE HON. ANDREW EDWARD SOMERSET MULHOLLAND, eldest son of Lord Dunleath, was killed in action near Ypres on November 1. He was born on September 20, 1882, and was in the Eton XI of 1901, when he made 361 runs with an average of 30.08, but scored only 13 and 18 against Harrow. At Oxford he played in the Freshmen's match of 1902, making 34 and 14, but did not obtain his blue. He had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1908. At Lord's in 1909 he played for Army v. Royal Navy, and in his only innings scored 39.

THE REV. ARTHUR MURSELL, one of the oldest members of the Surrey County C.C., and a life-long lover of the game, died at St. John's Wood on May 23, aged 82. When quite a small boy he was included as a substitute in a local XXII against the All-England Eleven, and distinguished himself by hitting the only ball he received from William Clarke for 4--a feat which so pleased Sir Henry Bromley that he presented him with a half-crown, which was treasured for many years. At the General Meeting of the Middlesex County C.C. in 1913 he made a delightful speech, in the course of which he said that he had visited Lord's ground for over seventy years.

CAPT. ARNOLD STERNS NESBITT, of the 3rd Batt. Worcestershire Regiment, who was killed in action on November 7, kept wicket at Lord's earlier in the season for Worcestershire v. Middlesex. He was in his 36th year, and was a member of the Bradfield XI of 1895.

WALTER NICHOLSON, who was born on April 13, 1861, died at Mexborough on September 18. On his only appearance for Yorkshire--v. Durham, at Darlington in 1892--he scored 48 and 16 and took one wicket for 12 runs; in the previous month he had made 53 and 29 and taken four wickets for 25 for Yorkshire 2nd XI v. Lancashire 2nd XI at Manchester. He was one of the founders of the Mexborough and District Cricket League.

CAPT. FRANK SCOBELL NISBET, of the 2nd Batt. Manchester Regiment, was killed in action in France in August or September, at the age of 35. In scoring 173 for the Battalion mentioned against the 1st Batt. King's Royal Rifle Corps at Portsmouth in August, 1909, he sent up 290 for the first wicket in partnership with C. W. Woods (141).

THE REV. EDWARD WILLIAM NORTHEY, one of the oldest members of the Surrey County C.C., died at Epsom on October 21, in his eighty-third year. He served frequently on the committee, and was an enthusiastic supporter of the game in mid-Surrey. Since 1886 he had been a member of the M.C.C.

MR. LEWIS WILLIAM NOVELLI, of the Rugby XI of 1865 and 1866, died on December 23 after a long illness. In his two matches against Marlborough, at Lord's, he scored 10 runs with an average of 5, and took two wickets. At Cambridge he played for his college--Trinity--but did not obtain his blue. In 1866 he was described as A fair bat, a medium-pace change bowler, and a beautiful field at cover-point, being a sure catch. He appeared at various times for Perambulators, Butterflies, Free Foresters, and Quidnuncs, and since 1871 had been a member of the M.C.C.

LIEUT. WALTER EVELYN PARKE, of the Durham Light Infantry, who was born on July 27, 1891, was killed in action in October. For three seasons, 1907 to 1909, he was in the Winchester XI, being captain in his last. He was very short, but one of the best batsmen turned out by the College for many years. He did not play against Eton in 1908, but in each of the other years greatly distinguished himself against the side: in 1907 he scored 49 and 46 not out, making the winning hit, and in 1909 batted for four hours and a half on a tricky wicket for 33 and 30 not out, almost carrying his bat through both innings, and certainly saving the side from defeat. In military matches he was a very heavy run-getter, and at Lord's in 1913, when playing for Dorset v. M.C.C. and Ground, scored 111 in his first innings and 103 in his second.

MR. GEORGE STANLEY PHILLER, Pennsylvania and the Merion C.C., died on June 30. He was captain of the latter in 1888, the year in which Merion first won the Halifax Cup.

MR. WILLIAM FRANCIS PLOWDEN, J.P., D.L., who died suddenly at Plowden Hall, Shropshire, on July 8, was educated at Stonyhurst where he was in the Eleven. He was born on June 3, 1853.

MR. CHARLES G. PLUMER, a member of the M. C. C. since 1860 who used to play for the Club, died at Cheltenham on March 18, aged 77.

COMMANDER BERNHARD A. PRATT-BARLOW, who went down in H.M.S. Cruiser Hawke on October 15, had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1904.

MR. BENJAMIN PRESTON, who was born at Lowestoft on April 20, 1846, died at his native place on June 4. He was in the Westminster XI in 1861 and 1862, when he was described as A very promising cricketer; has a good defence, and plays forward well; a very good field; bowls fairly at times. Proceeding to Cambridge, he played against Oxford in 1869, scoring 5 and 0. In 1870 he was Treasurer of the University C.C. Between 1867 and 1885 he played occasionally for Suffolk.

CAPT. A. B. PRIESTLEY, of the Dorsets, who died in September of wounds received in France, was a well-known Army batsman.

LIEUT. ROBERT SCOTT PRINGLE, who died of wounds in France in the first week of October, was in the Winchester XI of 1903. He scored 5 and 0 against Eton and during the season made only 34 runs in eight innings. He was born on November 30, 1885, and served in the Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment.

THE REV. CANON THOMAS OSMOTHERLY REAY died at Prittlewell Vicarage, Essex, on June 14. He was born in London on January 24, 1834, and was in the Eton XI, in 1850 and two following years, during which period he scored 222 runs with an average of 24.66 in his six Public School matches and took six wickets. In 1852 his innings were 18 and 43 v. Harrow and 65 not out and 26 not out v. Winchester. He played occasionally for the Free Foresters and in 1863 took part in their famous tie-match against Nottinghamshire. In Surrey Cricket, Its History and Associations he was the author of a very interesting chapter of reminiscences. He was cousin of Mr. O. R. Borradaile, the Essex County C.C. secretary.

FIELD-MARSHALL EARL ROBERTS K.G., V.C.,, who died at St. Omer on November 14, whilst visiting our Indian troops, had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1902, when he was elected by the Committee as one whose membership was specially desirable in the interests of the Club. He never gained any note as a player, but he was an admirer of the game and was occasionally to be seen at Lord's during the Eton v. Harrow match. He was born at Cawnpore on September 30, 1832.

THE RIGHT REVEREND MONSIGNOR WALTER CROKE ROBINSON died suddenly at Brighton on April 17. He was born on June 4, 1839, and educated at Temple Grove (East Sheen) and Winchester. In 1857 he was in the latter XI, scoring, however, only 0 and 3 in the match with Eton. He was the first Catholic Fellow of Oxford since the Reformation, Preacher and Lecturer of the Archdiocese of Westminster since 1892, and Domestic Prelate of his Holiness. Whilst at Winchester he was described as A hard hitter, and a good field at long-leg.

MR. DOUGLAS CLIFFORD CAMPBELL SEWELL, of the 1st Batt. Royal West Kent Regt., died in September of wounds received near Mons. He was in the Wellingborough XI in 1911 and 1912 and was only twenty years of age at the time of his death. In 1912 he was second in the School averages with 47.46 for an aggregate of 617. He was considered a fine natural hitter.

LIEUT. BERNARD HENRY GILBERT SHAW, of the West Yorkshire Regiment, who was killed in action on December 18, aged 21, was the second son of the Bishop of Buckingham--an Oxford Blue of 1882. He was in the Marlborough XI in 1911, when he made 351 runs with an average of 39, his highest score being an excellent 94 against Rugby at Lord's. He obtained the runs in an hour and a half out of 166, made while he was in, driving superbly. After leaving Marlborough he was captain of cricket and hockey at Sandhurst.

2ND LIEUT. CHARLES CALDWELL SILLS, of the South Wales Borderers, who was born on December 24, 1893, was killed in action on September 26th, at the battle of the Aisne. For five seasons he was in the Oakham School XI, being captain in 1911 and 1912, in which years his batting averages were respectively 32 and 52, In 1913 he played an innings of 103 for Sandhurst against Woolwich. He also appeared occasionally for Aldershot Command and was a member of the M.C.C.

LIEUT. R. F. SIMSON, of the Edinburgh Academy XI of 1908, fell in action in September. In 1908 he scored 283 runs with an average of 20.20, his highest innings being 101 not out.

MR. TOM SMITH, who played for Nottinghamshire Colts v. Yorkshire Cots, at Sheffield in 1877, scoring 6 and 13, died at Gringley-on-the-Hill on April 13, aged 68.

MR. EDWARD ALFREE SMITHERS, Treasurer of the Sussex County C.C., died at Hove on February 5, aged 49.

THE REV. EDWARD POPHAM SPURWAY, Rector of Heathfield, Taunton, died on February 11, aged 50. He played only twice for Somerset, but frequently for the Wellington C.C. and the Somerset Stragglers.

MR. ROBERT J. STEWART, for many years a Vice-President of the Manhatten C.C., died at Brooklyn on February 28. He was born in New York City in 1851.

MR. ALFRED HUGH STRATFORD, who was born at Kensington on September 5, 1853, died at Newark, New Jersey, on May 2. He was in the Malvern XI in 1871 and two following years, and played occasionally for Middlesex between 1877 and 1880. For the former in 1873 he made 703 runs with an average of 32.40, scoring 149 v. Cotswold Magpies and 120 v. Rev. H. Foster's XI, and took 62 wickets for under thirteen runs each. Scores and Biographies said of him:-- A good and free hitter, and his bowling is slow and twisting, breaking both ways, being very difficult to operate against at times. In the field he is excellent, generally taking cover-point or long-leg. His highest score in first-class cricket was 55 not out v. Gloucestershire at Clifton in 1879, and his best feat with the ball to take five wickets for 12 runs for M.C.C. and G. v. Yorkshire at Lord's in 1879. In 1876 he took 17 wickets out of 20 for Incogniti v. Ealing, on the Ealing ground, and 18 out of 20 (besides making a catch) for Kensington Park v. Bickley Park at Notting Hill. Whilst in America he played with success for Winnipeg, Pittsburgh, New York and Newark, and when appearing for New York XVIII against the Australians in 1893 scored 25, the only double-figure, in his side's first innings. Mr. Stratford was famous at Association football in the early days of the game. He played for the Wanderers when they won the cup in 1876, 1877, and 1878.

MR. CHARLES ISHAM STRONG, who was born September 7, 1838, died at Thrope Hall, Peterborough, on October 7. He was in the Harrow XI of 1857, and in the match between Etonians under 21 and Harrovians under 20, scored 0 and 1 not out. In other games that season he made 37 v. I Zingari, 22 v. Old Harrovians, and 17 v. M.C.C. and Ground, whose bowling was shared by Dean and Martingell. He was a strong, defensive batsman, and a useful wicket-keeper. In 1860 he rowed in the Oxford boat. He was High Sheriff for Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire and J.P. for Peterborough and Hunts.

MR. HAMISH STUART, M.A., LL.B., a well-known cricket journalist, and a member of the Scottish Bar, died on the S.S. Castello, near Gibraltar in May. He was born at Wick on August 26, 1862 and educated at George Watson's Academy and Glasgow. For several years he had played frequently in Surrey Club and Ground matches.

THE 5TH LORD SUFFIELD ( CHARLES HARBORD) who was born at Gunton Park, Norfolk, on January 2, 1830, died at St. George's Road, S.W., on April 9th. He was one of the oldest members of the M.C.C., having been elected in 1855 and nominated President in 1863. He played a prominent part in the Club's acquisition of Lord's, and himself contributed £100 to the purchase of the lease-hold. Many enjoyable matches were played every year at his beautiful seat, Gunton Park. His father, the third holder of the title, who was killed by a fall from his horse in 1835, was the first President the Suffolk County C.C. ever had.

MR. HUGH N. SUTTON, Vice-President of the Derbyshire County C.C., died on July 16.

THE REV JAMES HENVILLE THRESHER, of the Winchester Elevens of 1860 and 1862, who was born on August the 20th, 1842, died at Winchester on October 16. He was described as A safe bat, playing in a very upright style; should move quicker in the field. In his four innings v. Eton he scored a dozen runs, and in 1862 obtained spectacles. From 1883 to 1893 he was Rector of St. Maurice, Winchester.

MAJOR EDMUND PEEL THOMSON, of the Royal Munster Fusiliers, who fell in action on December 24, played occasionally for the M. C. C., of which club he had been a member since 1910. In South Africa he gained a reputation as a batsman. He was 40 at the time of his death. From 1889 to 1891 he was in the Fettes XI, being captain in 1891 and 1892, in both of which years he headed the batting averages.

THE REV. FREDERIC TOBIN, for thirty years Vicar of Charlecote, Wawickshire, died at Folkestone on September 28. He was born at Liscard, Cheshire, on July 5, 1849, and was in the eleven both at Rugby and Cambridge. At school he was contemporary with Yardley, Francis, Pauncefote, and A. A. Bourne, and was second in the averages in 1867, and third the following year. His chief success for Rugby was a hard-hit innings of 107 against Marlborough in 1868. Proceeding to Cambridge, he scored 40 in the Freshmen's match in 1869, but was not tried for the Eleven until 1870. In the last-mentioned year he was a member of the side which won the memorable game with Oxford by 2 runs, Yardley making 100 in his second innings and Cobden pulling off the match for Cambridge by taking Oxford's last three wickets with consecutive balls. In his three matches against Oxford Mr. Tobin made only 50 runs in five innings, but as a fieldsman he rendered the greatest service to his side, especially as long-stop to Mr. Powys' fast bowling in 1871 and 1872. As a batsman he was ungainly in style, although in 1871 he scored 63 against the Gentlemen of England at Cambridge, and a year later played an innings of 77 v. Surrey at the Oval. In 1871, also, he was a member of the English Twenty v. Scotland in the first Rugby International match.

CAPT. GEOFFREY PERCY ROBERT TOYNBEE, of the Rifle Brigade, fell in action on November 15. He was in the Winchester XI in 1902 and 1903, averaging 18.25 in the former year and 24.30 in the latter. In 1902 he did not play against Eton, and in the match of 1903 he scored only 2 and 9. Subsequently he was a very heavy run-getter at Sandhurst, heading the averages in 1904 with 70.71, and being third in the following season with 42.33. In military matches he made many large scores, and, playing for Green Jackets v. Aldershot Command in July, 1911, obtained 115 in his first innings and 101 not out in his second. Since 1904 he had been a member of the M.C.C.

MR. EDWIN BROOKE CELY TREVILIAN, J.P., born May 11, 1833, died at Curry Rivell, Somerset, on March 24. He was in the Winchester XI in 1849 and three following years, being captain in 1852, when he enjoyed a great personal triumph in the matches at Lord's, scoring 65 and 48 v. Harrow and 126 and 2 v. Eton and leading his side to victory in both games. Altogether, in his eight Public School matches, he made 329 runs with an average of 20.56 without a not-out innings to help him--unusually high scoring in those days by a boy at Lord's, the ground being then very rough. Mr. Trevilian was a rapid scorer, hitting well all round, but especially to the on, and was an excellent field. In 1885 he was Liberal candidate for the Bridgwater Division of Somerset.

MAJOR-GENERAL FRANCIS CHARLES TREVOR died at the Army and Navy Club on March 26, aged 82. He was an Auditor of the M.C.C. from 1895 until 1913.

LIEUT. HERVEY ROBERT CHARLES TUDWAY, of the Grenadier Guards, died of wounds on November 28, aged 26. He was a grandson of Sir F. Bathurst, the famous old bowler, and played frequently for the Household Brigade.

2ND LIEUT. CARLETON WYNDHAM TUFNELL, who was killed in action whilst serving with the 2nd Batallion of the Grenadier Guards on November 6, was born on August the 5th, 1892, and was in the Eton XI in 1910 and 1911. In the latter year, when he contributed 54 to Eton's total of 112 for seven wickets, he clearly won the game for his side. In the game with Winchester, too, he scored 57 at a critical time, and with E. F. Campbell (103) put on 104 after four wickets had fallen for 48. Eton eventually won by 58 runs after following-on, so Tufnell had every reason to recall his year of captaincy with personal satisfaction. In 1910 he had done little in the two matches, scoring only 5 and 7 v. Harrow, and 10 and 16 v. Winchester. Subsequently he was captain of the Sandhurst eleven, and also of the Association team. He was one of the best athletes produced by Eton for many years, for he was keeper of Oppidan, wall and mixed wall, and he won the Viator Ludorum and the King's Medal for the Officer's Training Corps.

WILLIAM UNDERWOOD, who played for the Notts Colts in 1875 and 1876 and once for the County in 1881, was found shot dead at Bradmore, Nottinghamshire, on May 9. He was born at Ruddington on February 26, 1854, and for over twenty years was coach to the cadets on the training-ship Britannia at Dartmouth, thus becoming qualified to assist Devonshire, which he did for many seasons.

LIEUT. J. H. L. WALCOT, of the 2nd Batt. 2nd Gurkhas, fell in action on November 2. In 1910 and 1911 he was in the Christ's Hospital XI, heading the bowling averages in the former year, and subsequently gained his colours at Sandhurst. He was 22 years of age.

WILLIAM HENRY WALL, who was born at Eastnor, near Ledbury, on July 29, 1844, died at Bacup on September 24. He was the first professional to play for Gloucestershire, and was described as a good average batsman, a middle-paced round-armed bowler, and fields well, generally at mid-on or short-leg. He was engaged by many clubs at different times and for thirteen years was coach at Rugby School, retiring in 1906.

THE REV. HENRY JOHN WICKHAM, who died at Winchester on June 20, was born December 24, 1828, and was thus in his 86th year. He was in the Winchester XI in 1844, 1846, and 1847, being captain in the two last-mentioned years. In his twelve innings at Lord's against Harrow and Eton, he made only 56 runs, but he fielded brilliantly and took eleven wickets. He did not obtain his blue at Oxford, and after leaving New College, returned to Winchester where he remained for 37 years--1851 to 1888--as tutor and first house-master.

LIEUT. THE HON. ARCHER WINDSOR-CLIVE, second son of Lord Plymouth, died on September 1 of wounds received at Mons whilst serving with the 3rd Batt. Coldstream Guards. He was born at Hewell Grange, Worcestershire, on November 6, 1890, and was in the Eton XI in 1908 and 1909. In the former season he scored 10 and 38 v. Harrow, and 105--a sound innings--v. Winchester; in the latter, 14 and 1 v. Harrow, and 44 v. Winchester. Proceeding to Cambridge he scored 12 and took seven wickets for 49 runs in the Freshmen's match in 1910, but did not obtain his blue. He was a good batsman and a useful medium-paced left-handed bowler. In 1908 his name will be found in the Glamorganshire eleven.

MR. J. WISHART, a left-handed bowler who met with success against Major Warton's team in South Africa, died in South Africa in March.

THE RT. HON. EDMOND ROBERT WODEHOUSE, P.C., who was born on June 3, 1835, died on December 14. He played for Eton in 1852 and 1853, but in his four Public School matches did very little, scoring only 24 runs in eight innings, both Harrow and Winchester winning in each season. He did not obtain his blue at Oxford. From 1880 to 1906 he was M.P. for Bath.

CAPT. CECIL STRACHAN WOOD, of the East Yorkshire Regt., fell in action in November, aged 40. He was in the Tonbridge Eleven in 1891 and 1892, in the former year making 119 runs with an average of 9.91 and taking 29 wickets at a cost of 15.62 runs each, and in the latter showing such a marked improvement in batting that he headed the averages with 32.77. In 1892 he also obtained 31 wickets for 17.83 runs apiece. He was described in 1892 as An excellent slow bowler (right hand), breaking both ways; keeps a good length and uses his head well; a fine hitter, but lacks defence, and should therefore play a forcing game. He was a younger brother of the Hon. J. B. Wood, C.I.E., of the Oxford Eleven of 1892 and 1893.

MR. ROBERT WALTER WORDSWORTH, born July 30, 1849, died at St. Leonards-on-Sea on April 27. He was in the Winchester XI in 1867 and 1868, when he scored 25 runs in his four innings against Eton and was on the losing side each year. He was described as A very pretty and effective bat, though scarcely so cautious as formerly, owing to a dangerous tendency to lift leg-balls; a capital field anywhere. In 1868 he was second in the average with 22.46, his highest score being 106. For thirty years he was agent for Earl Manvers. He was a son of Charles Wordsworth, Bishop of St. Andrew's, who captained Oxford in 1827 and 1829 in the first two inter-University matches with Cambridge.

MR. EDWARD HENEAGE WYNNE-FINCH, who played for XIII of Cambridge University against Surrey at the Oval in 1864, died in January.

LIEUT. W. S. YALLAND, who was killed in action on October 25, played once for Gloucestershire in 1910. Although a very useful cricketer, he did not obtain a place in the eleven whilst at Clifton. He was born in 1889, and served in the Gloucestershire Regiment.

JAMES YEADON, who kept wicket for Yorkshire in four matches in 1888, was born at Yeadon on December 11, 1861, and died there on May 30.

Particulars of the following Deaths were not received in time for inclusion in WISDEN'S ALMANACK for 1914:--

MR. CHARLES ST. GEORGE GORE, for several years one of the most useful batsmen in New Zealand, died at Wellington on December 11, 1913, at the early age of 42. His highest score in a match of note was 57 for Wellington v. Canterbury at Christchurch, in January, 1897.

MR. HENRY ANTHONY HARRISON, who was born in 1834 and died on November 27, 1913, was in the Harrow XI in 1852, being contemporary with Messrs. R. A. FitzGerald, S. Austen Leigh, K. E. Digby and A. H. Walker. He did comparatively little in his two Public School matches, making only 7 and 15 v. Eton, and 1 and 1 v. Winchester. For many years he was in the Bengal Civil Service, and when he retired in 1887 was Senior Judge of the North-West Provinces.

MR. FREDERICK E. M'EVOY, a Victorian State Player, died at Brighton (V.) on November 5, 1913. On his only appearance against New South Wales--at Melbourne in December, 1877--he opened the innings and scored 5 and 16. He was regarded as a good batsman but slow in the field.

JAMES MIDDLETON, the leading South African left-handed bowler from 1894 until 1906, died at Newlands, Cape Town, on December 28, 1913, aged 48. He was born at Chester-le-Street, Durham, and was bought out of the Army by the Cape Town C.C., who engaged him as their professional. Against visiting teams from England and in Currie Cup matches he obtained many wickets, his best feat being to take 12 for 100 for Western Province v. Transvaal at Cape Town, in 1897-98. In 1894 and 1904 he toured England with the South African teams of those years. In the former season, when he took 83 wickets for 15.79 runs each, his best analyses were for 45 v. Surrey, twelve for 83 v. M.C.C. and Ground, and eight for 48 v. Leicestershire, against whom he and F. Rowe were on unchanged throughout. Ten years later, when he was over-shadowed by Schwarz, Kotzé, Sinclair and White, he obtained only thirty-five wickets and at a cost of 24.97 runs apiece.

MR. CHARLES TREVOR ROLLER, who was born at Clapham Common on February 28, 1865, died at Eastbourne in November, 1912. He was in the Westminster XI in 1881 and 1882, and in 1886 played for Surrey v. Middlesex at Lord's, scoring 14 and 1, and in both matches v. Essex, making 4 at the Oval and 10 not out and 7 not out at Leyton. In his last year at Westminster it was said of him:-- Having a good reach, plays forward straight, hard, and well-timed; rather slow between wickets. Good long-stop.

MR. CHARLES ALURED LAMBERT SWALE, captain of the Settle C.C., and a prominent member of the Yorkshire Gentlemen's C.C., was found drowned in a pond on his estate--Ingfield Lodge, Settle--on November 26, 1913. He was only 43 years of age.

MR. WILLIAM HULBERT WATHEN, who died on March 29, 1913, played for Kent against Sussex at Brighton in 1863, scoring 5 and 38. He was born at Streatham on May 5, 1836, and educated first at Brighton College and afterwards at Rugby, but was not in either eleven. He was a moderate batsman, and sometimes obtained wickets, though at a somewhat heavy cost, and generally fielded in the slips. For Gentlemen of Kent v. Gentlemen of Sussex at Brighton in 1863 he scored 53, and in the corresponding match of 1855 took five wickets for 21 runs. For many years he played regularly for the West Kent C.C.

© John Wisden & Co