Obituaries in 1926

AKROYD, MR. BAYLY NASH, born at Streatham on April 27, 1850, died in London on November 24, aged 76. He was in the Radley Eleven in 1866 and two following years, when it was said of him: Is a steady batsman, and a difficult wicket to obtain, though not possessing an elegant style. Is a capital field at point, and bowls occasionally slow round-armed. In 1872 and 1873 he appeared in six matches for Surrey. He was brother of the late Mr. S. H. Akroyd.

BAYLEY, MORTON, who was born at Mitcham on May 7, 1843, died at his native place on March 6, aged 82. He was nephew of the far better-known John Bayley, and Scores and Biographies said of him: A fair bat, a middle-paced round-armed bowler, and fields generally at mid wicket. In his one match for Surrey--against Lancashire, at the Oval, in 1866--he carried out his bat for 8. At various times he had engagements with the Herefordshire County C.C., Pembroke College (Oxford), the Marquess of Ely, and in Ireland.

BENJAMIN, MR. R. B., who died in San Francisco in the first week of March, was Manager of the Australian Team which visited Fiji, the United States, Canada and Bermuda in 1913.

BERENS, MR. ALEXANDER AUGUSTUS, who died in London on May 31, aged 83, appeared occasionally for Northamptonshire.

BOOTH, MR. CHARLES LANCELOT, born on June 11, 1862, died suddenly in London on November 10, aged 64. He was a member of the Marlborough College XI of 1879. The year before, he had played against Rugby as twelfth man. In the Freshmen's match at Cambridge, in 1882, he made 31 not out and 3.

BOOTH, MR. CLEMENT, born at Friskney, Boston, on May 11, 1842, died at Hundleby, Spilsby,Lincolnshire, on July l, aged 84. He was a sound free batsman, with strong back play and a fine cut, and an excellent field at long-leg and cover. At Rugby, where he was coached by Diver and Haywad and was contemporary with Messrs. E. Rutter, F. R. Evans and B. B. Cooper, he played in the Elevan in 1860 and 1861. In the latter year, when there was no match with Marlborough, he scored 63 v. Free Foresters and 30 v. M.C.C. Proceeding to Cambridge he obtained his Blue as a Freshman, playing against Oxford in 1862 and three following years. In 1864, when he captained the side, and made 3 and 22 and took a couple of wickets, Cambridge were beaten by four wickets. In his four University matches he made only 66 runs and was dismissed eight times. In his second innings in the game of 1865 he hit a ball from E. L. Fellowes to square-leg over the grand-stand, and in the same match he caught R. A. H. Mitchell, left-handed on the ropes at square-leg, after running from twelve to fifteen yards. It was a glorious catch, and Booth, as he held the ball, overheard a spectator ejaculate: 'Ow could'e miss it?'E's got'ands like a'ip-bath! For the University in 1864 he scored 106 v. Norfolk at Cambridge and 64 and 76 v. Surrey at the Oval. He played county cricket for Lincolnshire, Hampshire and Huntingdonshire, being Honorary Secretary of the first-named Club 1867-71 and of the Hampshire C.C.C. 1874-79. Among various good innings for which he was responsible may be mentioned 78 for M.C.C. v. Oxford University at Lord's in 1876 and 77 for Hampshire v. Kent at Canterbury a year later. He never assisted the Gentlemen, but he took part in two games of much note at Lord's--that between M.C.C. and the first Australian team in 1878 and the Veterans' match of 1887. It may be added that in both 1864 and 1865 he represented Cambridge in the Athletic Sports.

BOWBANKS, MR. JOHN S., who died on March 29, at Toronto, aged 66, was a good steady batsman, making many runs for the Rosedale C.C. He represented Ontario against Lord Hawke's team in 1891, v. Australians in 1893 and v. Philadelphia in 1894. For some years he acted as coach at Upper Canada College.

BOYSON, SIR JOHN ALEXANDER, born on September 21, 1846, died in Kensington on March 15, aged 79. In 1865, when in the Harrow Eleven, it was said of him: Is a fair change bowler and first-rate field; weak in batting through most of the season, but improved at the end, and played well at Lord's. In the match with Eton he went in last and scored 17.

BRAY, HIS HONOUR SIR EDWARD, County Court Judge of Bloomsbury and Brentford, died in London on June 19, aged 77. Born at Shere, in Surrey, on August 19th, 1849, he was descended from Sir Thomas More, Chancellor of Henry VIII. A capital slow bowler, he played for five years in the Westminster Eleven ( 1864 to 1868), and in 1871 and 1872 gained his Blue at Cambridge, taking in the two games against Oxford ten wickets for exactly twelve runs each. Between 1870 and 1878 he assisted Surrey on fourteen occasions, doing little with the bat but obtaining forty-eight wickets at a cost of 15.45 runs apiece. In the Westminster v. Charterhouse match at Lord's in 1867 he took as many as seventeen wickets--nine of them for 26 runs in the first innings, and on the same ground four years later had the great satisfaction of getting W. G. Grace caught for four in each innings in the game between Cambridge University and M.C.C. One of his sons was a Cambridge cricket Blue of 1896 and 1897.

CAMPBELL, COL. FREDERICK, late R.A., born at Edinburgh on June 15, 1843, died at Sydenham Hill on September 13, aged 83. A useful all-round cricketer, he had played for M.C.C., I Zingari, Royal Artillery and Gentlemen of Hampshire. For sixty seasons he was a member of the M.C.C., and he was also one of the oldest of IZ.

CARPENTER-GARNIER, MR. JOHN, born on February 28, 1839, died on October 5, aged 87. It was said of him whilst at Oxford: A steady and good bat, and an excellent field; will make, with care, a capital cricketer. At Harrow, where he was coached by Wisden and Reynolds, he was in the Eleven in 1857. That year's match with Eton, at Lord's, was not one of the regular series, the title of it being Harrow (Under 20) v. Eton (Under 21). In it, Carpenter--it was not until 1864 that he assumed the additional name of Garnier--by scoring 41, played the highest innings for either side. Arkwright and Linton, bowling unchanged, dismissed Eton for 70 and 59, and Harrow won by ten wickets. Proceeding to Oxford, he obtained his Blue as a Freshman, being a member of C. D. Marsham's side of 1858. Oxford won by an innings and 38 runs. After leaving the University he appeared occasionally for Devon, Cornwall and the Gentlemen of Hampshire. He was M.P. for South Devon, 1873 to 1884, and High Sheriff for Hampshire in 1890-91.

CHALMERS, MR. THOMAS, born at Glasgow on March 20, 1850, died there, in a nursing home, on May 25, aged 76. He was an excellent batsman with many strokes, a useful medium-paced bowler, and a good field either at cover or at the wicket. Besides playing for Glasgow Academy, West of Scotland, Glasgow Academicals and the Caledonian C.C., he appeared in matches of a representative nature, doing well against the All England and United South of England Elevens, M.C.C. and the Australians. For the West of Scotland in 1878 he played a good innings of 38 against the bowling of Spofforth, Garrett, Allan and Boyle. Five years earlier he had scored 157 for Glasgow v. Edinburgh at Partick. As a Rugby footballer he also gained considerable fame, playing for Scotland in 1871, in the first of the series of matches against England and keeping his place in the Scotland Twenty for the next five years. He married a sister of Messrs. John and Stewart Carrick.

CHARLESWORTH, ALBERT P., born at Morley on February 19, 1876, died at Hull in May, aged 50. A free-hitting batsman, he appeared occasionally for Yorkshire in 1894 and 1895 and in the latter year played an innings of 63 against Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge, Altogether he scored 258 runs for the County with an average of 19.84.

CHICHESTER, 6TH EARL OF (JOCELYN BRUDENELL PELHAM), born on May 21, 1871, died at Stanmer Park, near Lewes, on November 14, aged 55. Ill-health, which caused him to leave Eton early, interfered with his play, but at his best he was a good right-hand medium-paced bowler, with a run up to the wicket like that of Mr. C. A. ( Round-the-Corner) Smith. In 1892 he played at Cambridge for First XII v. Next XVI. He also took part in the Seniors' match of 1894.

CHILSTON, 1ST VISCOUNT (ARETAS AKERS-DOUGLAS), P.C., G.B.E., J.P., born at Malling Abbey, Maidstone, on October 21, 1851, died suddenly in London on January 15. President of the Kent County C.C. in 1885, he was raised to the Peerage in 1911.

CHUTE, THE REV. THEOPHILUS DACRE, who died at Great Moulton, Norfolk, on June 15, aged 74, played with his brothers with the The Vyne and Hackwood Park Clubs in Hampshire, and in 1881 his name will be found in the Essex team.

CRAWFORD, MR. ANDREW, born at Edinburgh on January 27, 1825, died at Wimbledon on May 31, in his 102nd year. Although never gaining note as a player, he was a useful club cricketer, especially as a bowler. He was father of the Rev. J. C. and the late Major F. F. Crawford, and grandfather of Messrs. V. F. S., R. T., and J. N. Crawford.

DASTUR, MR. M. P., one of the most gifted of Parsi cricketers, was killed in a motor-cycle accident at Karachi on November 2, aged 30. Only a few days before he had appeared in a couple of matches against the M.C.C. Team, scoring 32 and 38 for Parsis and Moslems, and 1 and 61 for All Karachi. In representative Parsi games he had made 157 not out v. Rest, at Karachi, in 1920, and 142 v. Europeans, at Nagpur, two years later.

DELITTLE, MR. ERNEST ROBERT, born in Melbourne on June 19, 1868, died at Caramut, in Australia, on October 1, aged 58. He was a useful fast right-handed bowler, a fair batsman and a hard working field. After being at Geelong Grammar School, he came to England, and obtained his Blue for Cambridge in 1889. On his only appearance against Oxford, he scored 4 runs and took three wickets for 18. In the autumn of the same year he visited India as a member of the late Mr. G. F. Vernon's Team, having a batting average of 15.81, and taking forty-nine wickets. He had an analysis of eleven for 79 v. Lucknow, and one of five for 20 v. Behar Wanderers.

DRAPER, THE REV. WILLIAM HENRY, who died at Hayward's Heath on January 24, aged 90, played a few times for Oxford University in 1857 and 1858, and appeared subsequently for Herefordshire, Norfolk, Buckinghamshire, Gentlemen of Sussex and Free Foresters.

EALES, CYRIL C., who died at Northampton on August 16, aged 57, was a fast right-handed bowler and a hard-hitting batsman: also a very good field at point. Although a member of the Surrey County C.C. ground-staff at the Oval in 1888, he played his county cricket for Northamptonshire.

EWBANK, THE REV. THOMAS CRANMER, born at Richmond, in Surrey, on October 17, 1847, died on July 16, aged 78. He was educated in Brighton and, being a useful wicket-keeper, appeared for the Gentlemen of Sussex. For thirty years he was Rector of Sedgebrook, Grantham.

FOLEY, CANON THE REV. JOHN WINDHAM, born on November 22, 1848, died at Bangalore, in India, on May 10, aged 77. As a member of the Eton XI of 1866, he scored 49 and 4 not out v. Winchester and 1 and 5 v. Harrow. He was elder brother of C. W. Foley and a distant cousin of H. St. G. and C. P. Foley, all of whom played for Eton. His name will be found in the Gentlemen of Kent's team on a few occasions.

FOX, MR. HERBERT FRANCIS, who died in London on January 20, aged 67, was a steady batsman and in 1877 made 312 runs with an average of 26.00 for the Clifton Eleven, under the captaincy of Mr. A. H. Evans. At Oxford he scored 2 and 25 in the Freshmen's match of 1878. He played for three counties-- Somerset, Oxfordshire and Suffolk. He was born on August 1, 1858.

GILLETT, THE REV. EDWARD ALFRED, born at Waltham, Leicestershire, in 1842, died at Islip, Oxford, on November 13, aged 84. He was in the Radley XI in 1859 and two following years, leading the side in 1860 and 1861, when he was described as: A fast and dangerous bowler, very good field, fair but uncertain bat. At Oxford he took part in the Freshmen's match of 1862. He appeared in some county cricket for both Leicestershire and Norfolk.

GLENNIE, CANON THE REV. HERBERT JOHN, born on January 22, 1860, died at Wokingham on October 18, aged 66. A member of the Marlborough XI of 1879, he was descried as: A good cover-point, rarely misses a catch, rather erratic in throwing-in; bats fairly, good change bowler on a wet ground. He played some county cricket for Shropshire.

GREENHILL, MAJOR HUBERT MCLEAN (Dorsetshire Regt.), born on September 18, 1881, was found dead on January 22, in a small wood at Bockhampton, near Dorchester. He was a hard-hitting batsman with a long reach and a good style, and a useful left-handed medium paced bowler. Educated at Wimborne Grammar School and Sherborne, he was in the latter Eleven in 1898 and two following years, having in his third season a batting average of 20.14, besides heading the bowling with twenty-nine wickets for 11.48 runs each. For many years, commencing in 1900, he played for Dorset, and he also appeared for Hampshire in 1901, besides taking part in much Regimental cricket.

HARDY, MR. WILLIAM EBEN, President of the Notts. County C.C. in 1924, died suddenly at Bramcote Hills, near Nottingham, on July 4.

HARGREAVES, MR. REGINALD GERVIS, born at Oak Hill, Accrington, on October 13, 1852, died at Lyndhurst on February 12, aged 73. He was described as: A good hitter, fields well at cover-point, and bowls slow under-hand. He appeared for Hampshire, commencing in 1875, and was always interested in the welfare of the County Club, of which he was a Vice-President at the time of his death.

HARRIS, MR. STANLEY SHUTE, born at Glenavon House, Clifton, Bristol, on July 19, 1881, died at Farnham, in Surrey, on May 4, aged 45. A batsman who could hit all round hard and clean, he was second in the Westminster averages in 1899 with 41.62, his highest innings being 111 v. Incogniti. At Cambridge he played for the Freshmen in 1901 and for the Seniors in 1902 and 1904, but was not awarded his Blue, although tried in the Eleven in 1902 and two next years. He appeared, however, for Gloucestershire and Surrey, though very seldom, and at the Crystal Palace in 1904 scored 76 for London County against the South Africans. He played most of his cricket with Old Westminsters, Butterflies, Free Foresters, Quidnuncs, Incogniti and Crusaders. Better known in the world of Association football, he was a great forward, playing for Cambridge in 1902 and two following seasons--he was captain in 1904--for the Corinthians, and for England on two occasions each against Scotland, Wales and Ireland. Since 1904 he had been Headmaster of St. Ronan's Preparatory School, West Worthing.

HILL, MR. H. JOHN, father of the well-known Australian cricketing brotherhood which included Clement Hill, died in Adelaide on September 18. A good player in his day, he will be remembered chiefly for having been the first batsman to play a three-figure innings on the Adelaide Oval--102 not out for North Adelaide v. Kent C.C. on January 26, 1878. A trustee of the South Australian Cricket Association for many years and vice-president of that body since 1893, Mr. Hill was also a famous whip and in 1874 he drove W. G. Grace's team to Kadina in one of his four-in-hands. Born in Adeladie on March 16, 1847, he was, at the time of his death, in his 80th year.

HINE-HAYCOCK, MR. RALPH WATSON, a member of the well-known cricketing family, died at Core Hill, Sidmouth, on August 12, aged 70. His name will be found occasionally in the Devon Eleven, commencing in 1880.

HORNSBY, MR. JOHN HENRY JAMES, who died at Cuckfield Park, Sussex, on July 9, aged 66, was a good field, a safe catch and a useful slow bowler. He was in the Fettes Eleven in 1878 and 1879, being captain the latter year, and in 1893 played for Middlesex v. Gloucestershire at Lord's. He took part in three tours abroad, visiting India with Mr. G. F. Vernon's team in 1889-90 and with that of Lord Hawke three years later, and also being a member of the latter's side to the United States and Canada in the autumn of 1891. His bowling proved very successful during his two trips to India. In 1889-90, when he took most wickets (69) and headed the averages, he had an analysis of 13 for 78 against Bombay Gymkhana. In 1892-3 his victims numbered 120, at a cost of 11.23 runs each. During the latter tour he obtained eight wickets in an innings for 27 runs v. Bangalore, bowled unchanged with C. Heseltine against a Native Eleven in Madras, and had an analysis of 15 for 86 in a match with the Parsis in Bombay which the visitors won by seven runs. In America he did not meet with such outstanding success, but in the game with the Boston A.A., at Longwood, he and S. M. J. Woods bowled unchanged through both innings, one of his analyses being four for 9.

HOTHFIELD, 1ST LORD (SIR HENRY JAMES TUFTON, 2ND BART.), born on June 4, 1844, died on October 29, aged 82. He belonged to a family associated prominently with Kent cricket for almost 150 years, and in 1877 had been President of the County Club. His eldest son, the Hon. J. S. R. Tufton, who succeeds to the title, played for Kent in 1897 and 1898.

HUGHES, MR. HERBERT GEORGE SALUSBURY, born at Offley Place, Herts., in August, 1853, died at Hitchin on June 5, aged 72. Educated at Rugby, he played against Marlborough at Lord's in 1872, coming into the match in place of C. W. Crosse, who retired ill after Marlborough's first innings. While a steady batsman with a forward style and a good long stop, he failed to obtain his Blue whilst at Oxford. In 1876--the year of the County Club's formation--he began to assist Hertfordshire, for which he made several good scores, including 99 v. Bedfordshire at Luton in 1878 and 60 v. Northants at Hitchin in 1880. At times he captained the team. He also played for Bullingdon, M.C.C. and Free Foresters. He was son of G. E. Hughes and nephew of Tom Hughes, both Oxford cricket Blues.

HYMAN, THE HON. CHARLES SMITH, born at London (Ontario), on August 31, 1854, died on October 9, aged 72. He was a prominent member of the local club for a number of years. His highest innings was 128 for London v. Forest, in 1895. From 1905 until 1907, when he retired owing to ill-health, he was Minister of Public Works in the Laurier Cabinet.

INGLEBY, MR. HOLCOMBE, born on March 18, 1854, died at Sedgeford Hall, Norfolk, on August 6, aged 72. Described as A fair all-round cricketer, hits hard and well to the off; is a good field near the wickets, and is a fair lob-bowler, he was in the Malvern Eleven in 1870 and three following years, being captain in 1873. At the age of Seventeen he played for 22 of Worcestershire against the United South of England Eleven, but at Oxford he did not distinguish himself at the game.

IREDALE, MR. FRANCIS ADAMS, the famous New South Wales cricketer, died at North Sydney on April 15. As he had been born on June 19, 1867, he was in his fifty-ninth year at the time of his death. A resourceful batsman, he combined sound defence with good hitting; he could also cut gracefully and vigorously, while in the long-field he was excellent, covering much ground and being a sure catch. He made his first appearance for New South Wales at the age of twenty-one, but it was not until the season of 1894-5 that he began to make a name for himself. Then he did very well against Mr. Stoddart's team, and, maintaining his form, was one of the first men chosen for the trip to England in 1896. Until the latter part of June he did not during that tour perform up to his reputation, but then in quick succession he scored 94 not out v. Notts, 114 v. Yorkshire, 106 v. Hampshire, 171 v. Players, 108 in the Test-match at Manchester, 73 v. Derbyshire and 62 v. M.C.C. During the tour only S. E. Gregory, Darling and Hill had better records, his average for 1,328 runs being 27.32. Coming to England again three years later he made 1,039 runs and averaged 29.68, his largest innings being 115 v. W. G. Grace's XI at the Crystal Palace and 111 v. Middlesex at Lord's. In all Test-matches, both at home and abroad, against England he scored 807 runs with an average of 36.68, his highest effort being 140 against Stoddart's Team at Adelaide in 1894-5. In Australia he made six centuries in big matches, the largest of them--both for New South Wales--being 196 v. Tasmania in 1898-9 and 187 (he scored 80 not out in his second innings) v. South Australia in 1895-6. Playing his last game for his State in 1901-2, he had a short though brilliant career in great matches. From early in 1922 until his death he was Secretary of the N.S.W. Cricket Association, and he also did much journalistic work besides being the author of a very interesting book entitled Thirty-three Years' Cricket. At Sydney in February, 1922, a match between The Australian Eleven and the Rest of Australia was played in his honour, and it brought him in £1,740 10s. 9d.

LANCASHIRE, THE REV. PHILIP, who died at Southport on February 13, aged 73, was in the Rossall XI in 1868 and three following years, being captain in 1870 and 1871. He could cut well and drive hard.

LATHAM, MR. THOMAS, born in London on June 22, 1847, died at West Folkestone on January 13. He was a sound batsman with a pretty style and a good field at long-leg. As a member of the Winchester Eleven of 1865, he scored 17 not out in the drawn match with Eton. Proceeding to Cambridge, he obtained his Blue, and in his two games against Oxford made 0 and 48 in 1873 and 1 and 4 in 1874. Later he played some cricket for Cheshire.

LE MESURIER, COL. FREDERICK AUGUSTUS, who played for many years for the Royal Engineers, died at Oxford on June 9, aged 87.

LEWIS, THE REV. GEORGE ALFRED, born at Putney on August 9, 1853, died at Folkestone on January 22, aged 72. A useful wicket-keeper and a batsman who could cut prettily, he was in the Felstead Eleven, and during the latter part of his last season ( 1872) there captained the side. Later, commencing in 1875, he assisted Suffolk. At Cambridge he did not distinguish himself as a Cricketer, but he represented the University at Rugby Football against Oxford four times and in the three-miles race in the Athletic Sports of 1875.

MACLAGAN, MR. WILLIAM EDWARD, born on April 5, 1858, died on October 10, aged 68. He was a member of the Edinburgh Academy Eleven in 1874 and two following seasons, being captain in 1876. As a Rugby Footballer he was very famous, playing for Scotland in twenty-five International matches, between 1878 and 1890.

MARSH, MR. EDWARD CALDECOT, who died at Kendal on November 27, aged 61, was useful batsman with strong strokes to leg. Obtaining a place in the Malvern Eleven in 1883, he was second in the averages with 28.58. In 1885 and 1886 he appeared on a few occasions for Somerset, but in 1887 began to assist Devonshire, which side he captained for a time.

MARSHAM, THE REV. THE HON. JOHN, born at Boxley House, Maidstone, on July 25, 1842, died at Roehampton on September 16, aged 84. A fast bowler, he played for Kent in two matches in 1873.

MILLER, MR. JAMES H., born on February 3, 1868, died suddenly in Glasgow on April 23, aged 58. He was for a long period associated prominently with the West of Scotland C.C., of which his father was for many years Honorary Secretary. A good hard-hitting, left-handed batsman, he often headed the Club's averages, and once played an innings of 167 against Edinburgh Academicals. His bowling, too, proved useful on occasion and he gained some distinction from the fact that he got C. B. Fry out twice in the match between West of Scotland and Sussex in July, 1903. His name will be found several times in representative Scottish teams.

MITCHELL, MR. ROBERT, who died in September, was for long a familiar figure in Melbourne cricketing circles. A member of the Fitzroy C.C. for 26 years, he joined Northcote in 1907, and he served on the Victorian Cricket Association. Several times he played for Victoria, and among his best innings for the State were 52 v. West Australia in 1892-3, and 92 v. Tasmania in 1899-1900.

MURDOCK, MAJOR E. G., born on November 14, 1864, died in his flannels in the Bristol pavilion in the third week of May. A good wicket-keeper, he played for both Somerset and Gloucestershire, and was associated prominently with the Bedminster C.C.

NELSON, MR. GEORGE HERBERT, who died in London on March 23, was in the Radley Eleven in 1883 and two following years. A useful wicket-keeper and a hard-hitting batsman with weak defence, he appeared for Hertfordshire in 1896.

PACEY, JOHN, a Nottinghamshire man by birth, died at Philadelphia on June 22, aged 65. After being engaged with the Skegness C.C., he settled in America and became professional to the Belmont C.C. He and the late George Bromhead, of Germantown, were considered the two best coaches in the United States and Pacey was undoubtedly the best all-round professional in that country.

PARFITT, HIS HONOUR JUDGE JAMES JOHN, K. C., born at Slwch Villa, near Brecon, on December 23, 1857, died at The Grange, Wimbledon, on May 17, aged 68. He was educated at Prior Park College, Bath, and London University, and whilst playing for the former side on May 20, 1874, he and his brother, John Parfitt, dismissed Downside for 9 runs, which included a leg-bye. A good fast bowler in addition to being a useful batsman he, on his first appearance for Surrey--against Yorkshire at the Oval in 1881-- bowled Ulyett with the first ball he delivered. In 1883 he began to assist Sommerset, and later played occasionally for Warwickshire. He was County Court Judge on the Leeds and Wakefield Circuit from 1918 until 1921, and since the latter year had presided at Clerkenwell.

PARKYNS, SIR THOMAS MANSFIELD FORBES, 7TH BART, born on April 30, 1853, died in London on February 2, aged 72. Regarded as a fair bowler and a good bat, he gained a place in the Eton Eleven of 1872, scoring 20 against Winchester and 26 and 28 v. Harrow. In the latter game he also had an analysis of three for 31, so enjoying no small share in Eton's success by six wickets. His county cricket was played for Suffolk.

PARRY-OKEDEN, MR. WILLIAM EDWARD, I. S. O., born at Monaro, New South Wales, on May 13, 1841, died in Brisbane on August 30, aged 85. He played an important part in the early days of the East Melbourne C.C., and in. December, 1860, when elected President, was the Club's most successful bowler. His father was the last survivor of the Battle of Navarino.

PEDDER, MR. FREDERICK, who died at Moonah, near Hobart, on March 5, aged 85, played in representative matches for Tasmania, one of these being against the English Team of 1873-4.

PELHAM, THE REV. CANON SIDNEY, born on May 16, 1849, died suddenly in Norwich on July 14, aged 77. A steady slow round-armed bowler with plenty of spin, he was in the Harrow Eleven in 1867 and 1868, being captain (a very good one) in the latter year, and an Oxford Blue of 1871. He did little in his two matches against Eton, but in 1868 he had the satisfaction of seeing his side win by seven wickets. In 1867 be took thirty-six wickets for the School for 9.38 runs each and in the next year twenty-eight for 9.67. In his one inter-University game Powys bowled him before he could score, and his one wicket cost 31 runs. His name will be found occasionally in the Norfolk Eleven, commencing in 1871.

In games of less note he took eleven wickets for 18 runs for R. G. Barlow's XI v. XXII of Blackpool and District in 1889, and (in conjunction with F. Martin, of Kent) obtained eight wickets in nine balls for Mr. W. W. Read's Team v. XXII of the Country Clubs at Cape Town in 1891-2, each player taking four in succession. In a twelve-a-side match, too, at Streatham in July, 1892, whilst playing for M.C.C. v. Streatham he took all eleven wickets for 37 runs.

For Leicestershire he made many good scores, including 109 v. Essex at Leyton in 1894, 102 not out v. Warwickshire at Leicester and 114 v. Derbyshire at Derby in 1896, and 104 v. Surrey and 106 v. Yorkshire both at Leicester, in 1899. From 1887 until 1909 he was a member of the M.C.C. ground-staff at Lord's, and he took part in two tours overseas, visiting Australia with Shrewsbury's Team in 1887-8 and South Africa with Mr. W. W. Read's in 1891-2. His only appearance for the Players was at the Oval in 1895. He received reward for his service to the game in two benefit matches-- Leicestershire v. Yorkshire at Leicester in 1900 and Middlesex v. Kent at Lord's in 1910. For many years he had kept the Old Cricket Ground Hotel, Aylestone Park, Leicester.

QUILL, LIEUT.-COLONEL JOHN JEROME, born at Tralee, Co.Kerry, Ireland, on December 18th, 1849, died at Harefield, Walmer, Kent, on January 15, aged 76. He was a good free-hitting batsman, a medium paced bowler, and fielded well at short leg and mid-off. At Plymouth on July 29, 1885, he played an innings of 247 not out in a match between the Plymouth Division of the Royal Artillery and the 2nd Batt. of the Gordon Highlanders, while at Woolwich on August 10, 11, the same year he made 184 and 62 not out for Royal Marine Light Infantry v. Royal Artillery. He played for Devon County.

QUINTON, BRIG.-GEN. FRANCIS WILLIAM DRUMMOND, born in India on December 27, 1865, died on November 4, aged 60. A free and effective hitter, and a good field at a distance from the wicket, he was in the Marlborough Eleven in 1882 and 1883, and in that of Woolwich the two following years. In his matches against Rugby he scored 43 not out and 1, 39 and 5. He had played for Devon as early as 1882, and later he performed well for Hampshire, and against Leicestershire, at Leicester, in 1895, made a score of 178. The highest innings of his career, however, was 216 not out in a match between Royal Artillery and Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, on May 17, 1892.

ROBERTSON, LT.-COL. FRANK MANSFIELD BOILEAU, D. S. O., born on July 4, 1876, died at Warnham, Sussex, on February 27, aged 49. He was described as A good but nervous bat; cuts well and has good stroke off his legs. Fair bowler and field. He was in the Eton Elevens of 1894 and 1895, and in the latter year scored 15 not out v. Winchester and 33 and 25 not out v. Harrow.

ROSSER, MR. JOHN, who died in Queensland in January, was a free bat and excellent field, but did not meet with much success in matches of note: he played first for Victoria and later for Queensland. From 1879 until 1884 he assisted the South Melbourne C.C., and in the 1882-3 season averaged 60 for the Club for twelve innings. In the match against St. Kilda on January 27th and February 3, 1883, he scored 192 and with J. Slight (279) made 395 for the first wicket.

RUNDALL, MR. GEORGE WILLIAM, who died at Worthing on February 13, aged 74, was a useful batsman and wicket-keeper who gained a place in the Clifton College Eleven in 1869 and two next years, being captain in 1871. At Oxford he took part in the Freshmen's match of 1872, but did not obtain his Blue. He played some cricket for Wiltshire. He was an Assistant-Master at Marlborough 1877-91 and Head-master of Newcastle-under-Lyme High School 1891-1900.

RUTTER, MR. EDWARD, born at Hillingdon, near Uxbridge, on August 3, 1842, died at Shepperton-on-Thames on February 4, aged 83. While a free right-handed batsman, he will be better remembered as a slow round-armed bowler with much break. At Rugby, where he was coached by Alfred Diver, he was in the Eleven in 1859 and two following years, among his contemporaries being C. Booth, B. B, Cooper, and G. P. Robertson. In the one match against Marlborough during his time--that of 1860-- Rutter took six wickets in the first innings and three in the second. He appeared for Middlesex from 1862 until 1876, and against Kent at Gravesend in 1868 had an analysis of eleven for 123. It was for the county that he also obtained his highest score in a match of note--64 v. Oxford University at Prince's in 1872. One incident in his career that he was fond of recalling was that, when playing for the Veterans against M.C.C. in one of the Centenary games at Lord's in 1887, he clean bowled W. G. Grace for 24 with the first ball he sent down. He was for very many years a most prominent member of the Free Foresters as well as their Honorary Secretary, and for that Club did many noteworthy things. Against Southgate on the latter's ground in July, 1868, he took as many as seventeen wickets for 161 runs, although one man was run out; in the match with Gentlemen of Notts, at Beeston in August, 1871, he obtained all ten wickets for 99; and when, aged nearly 52, he carried out his bat for 41 against Mr. C. T. Hoare's XI at Bignell, in July, 1894, he and the Rev. J. H. Savory (125) put on 165 for the tenth wicket. For Hillingdon v. I Zingari in August, 1869, he took seven wickets in the first innings and ten in the second, the game being twelve a side and one batsman being run out. For over fifty years he had been a member of the M. C. C. and the Middlesex County C.C., and had served on the Committee of both Clubs. He was the author of Cricket Memories. Although known mainly in connection with cricket, Mr. Rutter was leader of football at Rugby in 1861. Late in the sixties he played for Richmond and rendered especially useful service by his skill in dropping goals with the left foot. He was a member of the first Committee of the Rugby Union to whom was entrusted the drafting of the laws of the game.

SCOTT, THE REV. HENRY VON ESSEN, who died at Eastbourne on July 17, aged 69, had been associated most prominently with cricket there for many years. After receiving his early education in Canterbury, he proceeded to Cambridge. In 1876 he scored 13 not out and 16 in the Freshmen's match, and in the following year made 12 and 37 in the Senior's and 13 and 12 for Next XVI v. The XI. Two of his sons played for Marlborough--J.G.C., who was captain in 1906, and H.S.

SENKLER, MR. JOHN HAROLD, K. C., who was born at St. Catherine's (Ont.) on July 24, 1866, died in Vancouver (B.C.) on March 4, aged 59. A free bat and splendid field, he assisted the Vancouver team and in 1888 and 1890 played for Canada against Philadelphia. At the time of his death he was President of the British Columbia Cricket Association. An all-round athlete, he was considered the best half-back Canada ever had at Rugby football.

SHORE, MR. GEORGE ROBERT EATON, born at Haslington, Cheshire, on February 23, 1884, died on January 20, aged 41, as the result of a motor accident at Vancouver (B.C.). He was educated at Queen's College, Taunton. Regarded by some people as the best batsmen ever seen in British Columbia, he had since the war played as many as fifteen three-figure innings, the highest being 154 not out for Civics v. Denman in 1923. The same year he scored 124 for British Columbia against Manitoba.

SMITH, MR. ALLAN RAMSAY, born on January 10, 1875, died suddenly at Musselburgh on March 31, aged 51. He played cricket for Loretto, but was far better known as Rugby footballer, being an Oxford Blue 1894-97 (captain in his fourth season) and a Scottish International 1895-1900 (captain in 1897). Since 1908 he had been Head-master of Loretto.

SPENCER, MR. RALPH, who was born at Newburn, Northumberland, on April 14, 1861, died at Netherwitton Hall, Morpeth, on August 23, aged 65. A useful bat and fast bowler and a good field at slip, he was in the Harrow Eleven in 1878 and 1879 and a Cambridge Blue in 1881. In 1882 he began to assist Northumberland.

In Tests against England he obtained 94 wickets for 18.41 runs each. In his own country he represented both New South Wales and Victoria, the former by birth and the latter by residence, and in really big cricket, both at home and abroad, took 1,146 wickets with an average of 13.55.

In minor matches he naturally did many very remarkable things. Thus, in an up-country game in Australia, in 1881-2, he bowled down all twenty wickets of his opponents; for the Australian team of 1878 he took nine wickets in twenty balls against XVIII of Hastings, and for that of 1880, twelve in eighteen against XVIII of Burnley; while twice for Hampstead he obtained all ten wickets in an innings of Marlow on his opponents' ground--for 20 runs in 1893, and for fourteen a year later. In the game of 1893, his day's figures were seventeen for 40. When he made his first appearance for Hampstead he was in his thirty-eighth year, yet he took as many as 951 wickets for the Club for 7½ runs each. In 1894 he claimed 200 wickets for the side for an average of 5.90.

SPRING, MAJOR TREVOR COLERIDGE, D. S. O., who died suddenly in London on March 13th, after an operation, at the age of 44, made many good scores in Army cricket and for United Services and Devon Dumplings. His name will be found occasionally in the Devon, Somerset and Northumberland Elevens.

SWEET-ESCOTT, MR. WILLIAM SYDNEY, who died at Penarth, South Wales, on October 29, aged 59, was a member of a well-known cricketing family. He played for Glamorgan in the County's second-class days.

SWIFT, MR. J. S., who died on February 28, aged 74, was at one time regarded as one of the fastest run-getters in Victoria, in addition to being a good wicket-keeper and a sure field generally. In his two matches against New South Wales he scored 39 runs in three completed innings. In club cricket--chiefly with the Melbourne, South Melbourne, Yarra Bend and Kew Asylum Clubs--he was much more successful. During the season of 1877-8 he made five hundreds in succession, and for the Asylum team, which he captained, he scored 1,200 runs with an average of 92.30.

SWINSTEAD, MR. GEORGE HILLYARD, R. I., who died at Hampstead on January 16, was a well-known batsman in Metropolitan cricket circles, especially for the Hampstead C.C. He had played for Middlesex 2nd XI, and was the author of a pamphlet entitled The New Cricket. An artist of repute, he designed several cricket menu cards much prized by collectors.

TINDALL, MR. E., born March 31, 1851, died at Tempe, Sudney, N.S.W., on January 15, aged 74. He was a useful batsman and a good right-hand medium-paced bowler with a high delivery. Among his best figures for New South Wales were six for 31 v. Victoria in 1877-8 and six for 80 v. Lord Harris's Team a year later--in each case at Sydney. Against Victoria at Melbourne in 1879-80 he played an innings of 52.

TOSSWILL, MR. ALICK CHARLES, born on January 21, 1845, died on November 1, aged 81. Scores and Biographies described him as A good average bat, and a very active field, though he generally takes the wicket. In 1864 he was a member of the Rugby School Eleven. He had the satisfaction of firing the winning shot for his school the first year the Ashburton Shield was shot for at Wimbeldon. Subsequently he appeared for Devon at cricket. In the inter-University Sports of 1868 he won the Long Jump for Oxford, clearing 21ft. 0¼in. For many years he was an Assistant Master at Harrow.

TURNER, MAJOR C., who died on May 21, had been Honorary Secretary of the Berkshire County C.C. since 1904.

ULLATHORNE, THOMAS, who kept wicket for some years for Northumberland, commencing in 1906, died at Edgbaston on March 5, aged 47. He had been trapped in the upper part of a burning house and was unconscious when removed to hospital. He was son of Charles Ullathorne, a former member of the Yorkshire Eleven.

WAAD, MR. RUDOLPH, JUN., born on July 30, 1886, died in Philadelphia on July 11, in his fortieth year. Associated with the Frankfort C.C. he was a prominent figure in American cricket, and played against many visiting teams, including the Gentlemen of Ireland in 1909, the Australians in 1913 and Incogniti in 1913 and 1920. In 1922, when Frankfort won the Halifax Cup, he was awarded the Childs Cup for heading the bowling averages. During the tour of the Frankfort C.C. to the Pacific Coast in 1911 he took twenty-nine wickets for 9.9 runs each, and in gaining an analysis of 9 for 40 for the club against Morreston in 1913 he obtained four wickets in four balls.

WAKEMAN, MR. EDWARD MALTBY, born on November 19, 1846, died at Coton Hall, Bridgnorth, on March 18, aged 79. In 1865, when he was in the Eton Eleven, it was said of him: A good bat, with rather too much flourish; a good field, and successful with lobs at times. Against Winchester he took five wickets for 52 in a total of 242, and against Harrow three for 43 in one of 248. He played for both Shropshire and Worcestershire.

WALLROTH, MR. CONRAD ADOLPHUS, born at Lee, in Kent, on May 17, 1851, died at Compton, near Godalming, on February 22, aged 74. He was a steady batsman with good style and an excellent field, especially at long stop. As a member of the Harrow Eleven of 1870, he scored 30 and 0 v. Eton, and during the three years, 1872 to 1874, that he played for Oxford he made 15 and 1, 0 and 4, and 44 against Cambridge. He was probably at his best in 1873 when he played an innings of 109 for the University v. Middlesex at Prince's and scored 72 not out and 40 for XVI of Brasenose College against the United North of England Eleven. His county cricket was very restricted, but he appeared for Kent in 1872 and for Derbyshire in 1879.

WESTON, SIR JOHN WAKEFIELD, 1st BART., born on June 13, 1852, died at Kendal on September 19, aged 74. Coached at Rugby by Alfred Diver and Luke Greenwood, he was described as A very neat and steady player and a rare long stop. He was in the Eleven in 1871 and in the match with Marlborough scored 17 and took one wicket. At Oxford he took part in the Freshmen's match and appeared for XVI Freshmen against the Elevan in 1872. He played against Cambridge in the first inter-University Rugby Fooball match--in February, 1872.

WILLIS, MR. HENRY, who was born on March 17, 1841, and died at Horton Lodge, Epsom, on September 29, aged 85, played for Surrey v. Yorkshire, at the Oval in 1868. For some years he captained the Epsom Eleven.

WYATT, MR. GEORGE NEVILE, born at Chumparum, in Inida, on August 25, 1850, died at Clifton, Bristol, on February 16, aged 75. He was a good, free batsman, an excellent field at long-leg and cover-point, and a useful medium-paced change bowler. Whilst at Cheltenham, where he was in the Eleven in 1869, he was coached by James Lillywhite, senr., and when captain of Sandhurst, in 1870, he scored 62 and 9 v. Woolwich at Lord's. After playing for Gloucestershire-- 1871-75--he went to India for three years with his Regiment, and, on his return, appeared for Surrey in 1877 and 1879, and in 40 matches for Sussex between 1883 and 1886. The great event of his career was to play an innings of 112 against the Australians at Hove in 1884, when he and Harry Phillips (111) put on 182 together for the eighth wicket. Other good scores made by him for Sussex were 62 v. Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge in 1883 and 65 v. Surrey at Hove two years later. On his one appearance for the Gentlemen v. Players--at Prince's in 1875--he made 0 and 11.

The following particulars were not received in time for inclusion in the Almanack for 1926:--

AMPHLETT, HIS HONOUR JUDGE RICHARD HOLMDEN, K. C., who died on November 23, 1925, aged 78, did much to keep the Worcestershire County C.C. in existence. From 1891 until 1908 he was Recorder of Worcester, and in the latter year became Judge of the County Court of Birmingham.

BELK, MR. OSWALD, who died on October 3, 1925, aged 62, played for Durham County.

COLTHURST, SIR GEORGE ST. JOHN, 6TH BART., born in 1850, died at Blarney Castle, near Cork, on December 25, 1925, aged 75. An enthusiastic cricketer, he did much for the game in Ireland, as his father, who died in 1878, had done. For the Vice-Regal Lodge against Cavalry Brigade in Dublin on May 11, 1876, he and H. W. Renny-Tailyour scored 225 together for the first wicket. In 1879 he went with the Gentlemen of Ireland's team to the United States and Canada. For many years he was President of the Cork County C.C.

HARDING, MR. W. E., Headmaster of King James I Grammar School, Bishop Auckland, died there suddenly from a heart attack on December 27, 1925, aged 32. He played for Kings's College, Cambridge, where he gained his College colours for tennis, cricket and football. He was an Association Blue and an amateur international.

HOSKYNS, THE RT. REV. EDWYN, Bishop of Southwell, born on May 22, 1851, died on December 2, 1925, aged 74. Educated at Lancing and Haileybury, he was in the latter's Eleven in 1869 and 1870, being a fair slow round-armed bowler, a useful bat and a good field near the wicket. He rowed for Cambridge in 1873.

KIERNAN, MR. CHRISTOPHER, who died at North Fitzroy, Melbourne, in December, 1925, was a good batsman, a useful change bowler and a brilliant field at cover and mid-off. His chief scores for Victoria--all made in Melbourne--were 58 v. Tasmania in 1912-13, 61 v. New Zealand in 1913-14, and 59 v. Tasmania in 1914-15.

MAURICE, COL. DAVID BLAKE, born on December 24, 1866, died at Reading on December 4, 1925. A member of the Uppingham Eleven of 1884, he was described as A useful bat, but very wild; keeps wicket fairly well. In later years he played occasionally for Berkshire. In the South African War he served as Major in the 1st Royal Berkshire Regiment: Mounted Infantry on Staff, and was awarded the D.S.O. in 1901 and the Queen's Medal with five clasps. In the Great War he acted as G.S.O. in France, received the C.B.E., and was Mentioned in Dispatches.

MICHELL, MR. WALTER GORDON, who died suddenly at Rugby on December 12, 1925, aged 71, was in his young days a useful batsman (though rather too fond of hitting to square leg), and a good field, throwing-in particularly well. In 1872 and 1873 he was a member of the Wellington College Eleven, averaging 13.70 in the former season and 22.00 in the latter. Between 1884 and 1886 he appeared on a few occasions for Warwickshire, making 75 runs in seven completed innings. At Cambridge he devoted but little time to the game, preferring the football-field and the river. He played back against Oxford for the XX in 1873 and for the XV in 1875 and 1876, and in 1874 was a member of the VIII. He also played Rugby for Richmond. For 35 years he was a Master at Rugby School.

OATLEY, MR. JAMES N., who died in Sydney in December, 1925, aged 80, played against the second English team which visited Australia, in 1863-4, and for many years was identified with the Warwick C.C. He was described as: A very fair bat with plenty of style and wrist play, but wants confidence: is a good long-stop and fair field. He appeared twice for New South Wales v. Victoria.

SEWELL, MAJOR HUBERT WOODVILLE, who died suddenly from heart failure at Stanwix, Carlisle, on December 19, 1925, aged 53, was in the Sedbergh XI in 1888 and three following years, being captain in 1891. He was captain of the Carlisle C.C. 1907-1911.

SHAW, MR. DAVID BRUCE, born on August 15, 1907, died of pneumonia on December 31, 1925, at the early age of 18. A member of the Marlborough College Eleven of 1925, he took part in the sensational finish of the match with Rugby at Lord's. He was the slow bowler of the team and he went into bat last when his side were a long way behind and half-an-hour remained for play. He and F. G. Philpott, however, stayed together and saved the match. Just over a month before his death, Shaw was given his Rugby Football XV colours.

TABOR, MR. ALFRED, born at Trent, in Middlesex, on February 24, 1850, died at Eastbourne on December 16, 1925. Scores and Biographies said of him: As a batsman, he is a steady and careful player, remaining a long while at the wickets for his runs, while in the field he is good everywhere. He took great pains while at Harrow, and paid every attention to his instructors, improving rapidly under able tuition. He was a member of the Harrow Eleven in 1868, when, by his innings of 38 (top score) and 14, he contributed much to his side's success over Eton by seven wickets. In 1866-7 he was in the School Football XI. He did not obtain his Blue for Cambridge, although quite a useful player, but, appearing for Middlesex against Surrey at the Oval, in 1872, he scored 7 and 42. His career in important cricket was very short, as from 1873 until 1890 he was coffee-planting in Ceylon. For many years he scored well for Dikoya and Up-Country teams, and he also captained the Ceylon sides which visited Calcutta in 1884-5 and played Mr. G. F. Vernon's team in 1889-90. He was brother of Mr. R. M. Tabor of the Eton XI of 1864 and of Mr. A. S. Tabor who played three years (1869-71) for Eton and three (1872-74) for Cambridge.

TAYLER, MR. ALBERT CHEVALLIER, born on April 5, 1862, died in London on December 20, 1925, aged 63. A well-known artist, he will be remembered by followers of the game on account of his series of drawings entitled The Empire's Cricketers, published in 1905.

TIPLADY, HENRY, born at Welburn, near Castle Howard, in Yorkshire, on September 16, 1841, died at his native place on December 25, 1925, in his eighty-fifth year. Scores and Biographies said of him: Is a local celebrity, being an average batsman, a fast round-armed bowler, and in the field is often wicket-keeper, but can take any place. For several years he kept wicket for the Scarborough C.C., and he also played for the Castle Howard, Welburn and other local teams.

TOOMER, LT.-COL. CHARLES REYNOLDS, who died in 1925, played in turn for Northumberland, Wiltshire, and Durham.

VERNON, MR. AUGUSTUS LEVESON, born at Clifton, Bristol, on September 20, 1836, died at Hilton Park, Wolverhampton, on December 9, 1925, aged 89. A right-handed batsman and a left-handed medium-paced bowler, he played for Essex, Suffolk, Staffordshire, M.C.C. and I Zingari. For over sixty years he had hunted with the South Staffordshire and the Albrighton Hounds.

© John Wisden & Co