Obituaries in 1932

BEATTIE, MR. GEORGE N., who died in September in his sixty-fourth year was one of the founders of the Scottish Cricket Union. He played in turn for Clydesdale, Pollok and West of Scotland, for which last-named club he was at various times secretary, treasurer and director. He acted as hon. sec. to the Western District of the Union and established the Western Charity Assn., whilst he arranged the visits to Scotland of the Australian Teams of 1905, 1909, 1919 and 1921.

BLACKHAM, MR. JOHN MCCARTHY, in the opinion of many people, the finest of all wicket-keepers and unquestionably a player who, in that capacity, had no superior, was born at Fitzroy, near Melbourne, on May 11, 1853, and first played cricket with the Carlton Club at Melbourne. At different times it has been urged on behalf of Blackham that in standing up to fast bowling without a long-stop he set a new fashion--indeed that he first taught Englishmen what wicket-keeeping really could be. This claim is incorrect. Several English wicket-keepers-- George Pinder, of Yorkshire, Tom Plumb, of Buckinghamshire and, most notably, Dick Pilling, of Lancashire--were always prepared to stand up to fast bowling without a long-stop, and often did so, but on the rough wickets of 60 years ago or more the ball flew about to such an extent that the practice of doing without long stop was, generally speaking, ill-advised.

As a matter of fact Blackham, when he first came to England in 1878, had no really fast bowling to take except that of Spofforth, and Spofforth was more often fast-medium than really fast. Incidentally it may be recalled that, whereas Blackham, when Spofforth bowled his fastest, went back, Pilling used to say he himself could not stand back and in no circumstances did he do so. Still, as Blackham's greatness there can be no question whatever: as to whether he was really of higher ability than Pilling, who died when only 35 years of ago, opinions differed. Certainly both men were beautifully neat in all they did, and wonderfully accurate in stumping as well as in catching. Blackham stood exceptionally close to the wicket, was marvellously quick and in what was practically one action gathered the ball and whipped off the bails.

Blackham came over here with every one of the first eight teams from Australia and was captain of that of 1893. Outside his superb wicket-keeping he was a very useful bat. Like most of the early Australian batsmen he had no pretentions to style but was strong in unorthodox hitting and a very difficult man to bowl out. His highest score in England was one of 96 against Warwickshire at Birmingham in 1888.

In view of the fame to which he quickly attained after his arrival in England it is worthy of mention that previously W. L. Murdoch, the great Australian batsman, was generally regarded as the superior wicket-keeper. Indeed, Scores and Biographies in its remarks on what is now classed as the first Test Match--that at Melbourne in 1877 when Australia won by 45 runs--states that Spofforth refused to assist because his own wicket-keeper, W. L. Murdoch, did not play. Incidentally it may be mentioned that England--strictly Lillywhite's team--had no wicket-keeper on that occasion, Pooley, consequent upon some fracas, having been detained in New Zealand. An account of the game states that Selby and Jupp `kept' in turn, but neither proved equal to the job. The generally accepted belief that at the start of the tour of 1878 in this country Murdoch ranked as the leading wicket-keeper of the side is strengthened by the fact that, in the match in which the Australians made their first appearance at Lord's and proceeded to establish their fame by beating with nine wickets to spare in the course of a single day's play a most powerful team of the M. C. C., Murdoch found a place in the eleven and Blackham was left out. Blackham's first appearance at Lord's was in the match against Middlesex in 1878, when, although the Hon. Edward Lyttleton made 113--the only hundred hit against the Australians that year--the Australians won by 98 runs.

In the course of the memorable tour which opened at Brisbane on November 10, 1877, and closed at Inglewood on January 10, 1879--period of 14 months-- Blackham played 90 innings and, if he averaged less than 13, only one member of the team-- Charles Bannerman--averaged over 20, the average of Horan--second on the list--being 18. One of Blackham's most notable performances as a wicket-keeper was against an Eighteen on a rough, bumpy pitch at Stockport in 1878 when he stumped six and caught four.

For many years a clerk in the Colonial Bank at Melbourne, Blackham was 5ft. 9½ ins. in height and in his early manhood weighed only 10st. 6lb. Like several other members of the first Australian Team he wore a beard as a young man of 23 and kept to it all through life.

He died at Melbourne on December 27, and so was in his 80th year.

BROWNLOW, LIEUT.-COL. HON. JOHN RODERICK, who died suddenly at Folkestone on August 6, at the age of 66, was a successful bowler for Eton in 1882, under H. W. Bainbridge and, though on the losing side in a low scoring game, took seven wickets for 46 runs in Winchester's only innings. He served in the King's Royal Rifles in the South African War and rejoined on the outbreak of hostilities in 1914.

CAUSTON, REV. FRANCIS JERVOISE, who died on December 11, aged 89, figured in the Bradfield College XI. of 1862. He was Hon. Canon of Winchester and formerly Master of St. Cross Hospital.

COBDEN, MR. FRANK CARROLL, Who died at Capel Curig, North Wales, on December 7, was the hero of perhaps the most sensational piece of bowling in the history of cricket.

In the Oxford and Cambridge match of 1870, Oxford, set 179 runs to win, had made 175 for the loss of seven batsmen and thus, with three wickets to fall, wanted only four runs for victory when Cobden began the over which will be for ever memorable. The first ball was hit by F. H. Hill for a single, the stroke being one which would certainly have sent the ball to the boundary had it not been brilliantly fielded by mid-wicket--as to whether this was mid-off or mid-on even those taking part in the match differ. S. E. Butler was caught off the second ball, T. H. Belcher bowled by the third, and W. A. Stewart by the fourth, with the result that Cambridge snatched an extraordinary victory by two runs.

Born at Lambley, Nottinghamshire, on October 14, 1849, Mr. Cobden was in the Harrow XI. in 1866, and in the match against Eton, which Harrow won by an innings and 136 runs, he took five wickets for 37 and three for 10, or eight wickets in all for 47 runs. In the same match, W. B. Money ( Harrow), afterwards captain at Cambridge, in the year Cobden accomplished his memorable bowling feat, performed the hat trick. Included in the Eton Eleven on that occasion was C. I. Thornton, the famous hitter, who in the first innings scored 46 not out. Before going to Harrow in 1864, Cobden was at Brighton College (1860-1863) and at Highgate School (1863-1864). He left School early, and going up to Trinity College, Cambridge, was given his Blue in 1870 and in the two following years taking, on the occasion of his great triumph, eight wickets for 76 runs. He was an excellent fast round-arm bowler and very straight, spoken of 60 years ago as one of the best who has appeared in any eleven and described as being a better bowler at school than at any time afterwards. He stood nearly 6ft. high, and weighed 12st. He generally fielded at mid-on and was a free and powerful hitter.

COCHRANE, MR. CHARLES WALTER HAMILTON, who died on October 26, in his 57th year, was a younger brother of the Oxford University cricketer, A. H. J. Cochrane, and figured in the Repton School XI.'s of 1894 and 1895.

COLLINS, MR. W. E. W., born in 1849, died at Heacham, Norfolk, on January 7, 1932, at the age of 83. Of this player, Mr. A. J. Webbe, the famous Oxford and Middlesex batsman, wrote in a letter to The Times. A very fine left-handed bowler, essentially the man for a hard wicket, as he was very fast off the pitch and came a lot with his arm. Also a great hitter. He was five years in the Radley XI., captain in 1866 and 1867, at the same time being Head of the School. He then went up to Oxford, where he failed to get his Blue, but at that time the Oxford XI. was mainly composed of Brasenose men, and Collins was at Jesus. In August, 1874, when playing at Freshwater, in the Isle of Wight, Collins actually hit up 338, not out, in about four hours, and all run out, as there were no boundaries! "Buns" Thornton had a great opinion of Collins as a cricketer, so in 1886 he invited him to play for Lord Londesborough v. the Australians at Scarborough. Out of the huge score of 558 made by the English XI., Collins, who went in last, made 56 not out, scoring, I believe, off every ball he received. In 1888 he was invited to play for Oxford Past and Present v. the Australians at Leyton, and in the first innings took six wickets for 35 runs, he being then 42 years of age. What a pity that he played hardly any other first-class matches but these!

Mr. Collins appeared at times for Shropshire and the M. C. C. He was an able writer on a variety of subjects, being for many years a frequent contributor to Blackwood's Magazine on cricket, animal life and other subjects. He also wrote a large part of Annals of the Free Foresters, published in 1895. Extremely popular and known to his intimate friends as Colenso, Mr. Collins was a man of most generous disposition.

CONWAY-REES, MR. JOHN, died on August 30, aged 62. He was educated at Llandovery School, tried in the Oxford Freshmen's Match of 1891, and assisted Carmarthenshire. He secured greater prominence, however, as a three-quarter back at Rugby football, gaining his Blue at Oxford 1891-3 and International honours for Wales.

CRESWELL, JOSEPH, born at Denby, near Derby, on December 22, 1866, died in July last. A medium-paced bowler for Warwickshire in the nineties when the county secured promotion to first-class rank, he assisted that county from 1889 until 1899, his most successful season being that of 1890 when he took forty wickets for 13 runs apiece.

CROSBY, MR. ARTHUR BURGESS, born on July 5, 1858, died at Collins Close, Norton, Stockton-on-Tees on May 28, in his seventy fourth year. He was Town Clerk of Stockton for 14 years. Educated at Sherborne, where he was a member of the Cricket XI in 1875 and two following summers and captain in his last year, Mr. Crosby had been associated with the Durham County Cricket Club since its inception fifty years ago. He captained the side in 1892 and played frequently from 1882 to 1898. Altogether he scored nearly 1,000 runs, his highest innings being 103 v. Lincolnshire. He also rendered good service with the ball.

DOWDING, MR. ARTHUR JOHN CASWALL, headmaster of St. Ninian's Preparatory School, Moffat, 1879-1897, died in London on March 2, at the age of 83. He played in the Winchester XI of 1867. Proceeding to Oxford, he represented his University against Cambridge in the Mile in 1870 and in the Quarter the following Spring.

DURY, MR. THEODORE SETON, late Chief Master of the Supreme Court (Taxing Office) died on March 20 in London. Born on June 12, 1854, he appeared in the Harrow eleven against Eton at Lord's in 1870 and six years later played for Oxford against Cambridge. He also represented Oxford in the Rackets singles in 1876, and, partnered by Mr. A. J. Webbe, in the doubles in 1875-76. From 1878 to 1881 he played occasionally for Yorkshire. He was a free hitter, an admirable field at either long-leg or cover-point and a medium-pace round-arm bowler. His grandfather, the Reverend Theodore Dury, was in the Harrow team of 1805 that opposed Eton in the first match between those schools.

FERNANDEZ, REV. PHILIP HOSKEN, born at Madras, February 20, 1854, died at Bath on August 13. Educated at Winchester, he played against Eton for the team decisively defeated in 1872. He was a member of the Dark Blue XI victorious over Cambridge at Association football in 1875.

FORD, VERY REV. LIONEL GEORGE BRIDGES JUSTICE, Dean of York since 1925, died on March 27. Born on September 3, 1865, he was educated at Repton, finding a place in the eleven in 1882, 1883 and 1884, and being captain in the last year. The youngest but one of seven brothers, he represented Cambridge against Oxford at golf in 1885. He was Headmaster of Repton School 1901-10 and for the next fifteen years of Harrow.

FULLER-MAITLAND, MR. WILLIAM, at the time of his death the oldest surviving Oxford Blue, was born at Stansted, Bishop's Stortford on May 6, 1844, and so, when he passed away at Brighton on November 15, had completed his 88th year. A hard hitting batsman, an excellent field and a remarkably fine slow bowler, he stood out among the leading amateurs of the day in the later sixties. Going up to Oxford after four years in the Harrow Eleven, he, as a Freshman in 1864, obtained a place in the University team. In that same season he appeared for the Gentlemen against the Players at the Oval and in the following summer he assisted the Gentlemen at Lord's. Indeed for some six years he was a fairly regular participant in the great match of the season but, after the summer of 1869, when he once again figured in the Gentlemen's team at the Oval, the cricket field saw him no more. Thus his career was almost as brief as it was brilliant. In answer to an enquiry early last year as to the cause of retirement from the game when, with his fame solidly established, he was at the height of his powers, Mr. Fuller-Maitland wrote One reason was that I always suffered badly from hay-fever in the months of June and July. Another reason--that I had a great wish to see as much of the world as I could. In my travels I spent three years in America, India and Spain and had no hay-fever at all. When three years more were over, I went into Parliament.

At Harrow, where he first secured a place in the Eleven in 1860, he had among his colleagues I. D. Walker, for so many years captain of Middlesex, and in the opposing Eton team of that year was James Round, the best amateur wicket-keeper of his day, who, when up at Oxford, was not given his Blue and yet in the same year appeared for Gentlemen against Players at Lord's. Fuller-Maitland apparently developed his bowling only towards the close of his school-days, four wickets for 52 runs rewarding his efforts in the first innings of his last match against Eton, but in 1862, although on the losing side, he put together a score of 73. Strangely enough, considering the fame he afterwards obtained as a bowler, Fuller-Maitland's association with the Harrow Eleven was identified with the first three unfinished Eton and Harrow matches.

Fuller-Maitland had a happy experience of the University match as, with eight wickets for 53 in 1864 and eight wickets for 76 in 1865, he took more wickets than anyone else on his side and in the two subsequent years, with scores of 51 and 45, he proved to be the most successful run-getter. In all he obtained twenty-one wickets for Oxford against Cambridge at a cost of ten runs apiece and in six completed innings registered 157 runs with an average of 26. His personal success, however, was discounted to some extent by the fact that while during his first three-years in residence--the first two under R. A. H. Mitchell-- Oxford gained the victory, Cambridge won when Fuller-Maitland was captain in 1867. In 1864 against Surrey--a most formidable combination at that time--he secured twelve wickets for 138 run and in the following summer twelve wickets for 135 runs.

He first appeared for Gentlemen v. Players at the Oval in 1864 and at Lord's in that contest a year later. The match in which he assisted the Gentlemen at Lord's in 1865 was that in which W. G. Grace first appeared for the Gentlemen. E. M. Grace taking eleven wickets and F. R. Evans seven, Fuller-Maitland enjoyed little opportunity on that occasion of displaying his abilities as a bowler.

A very slow bowler, Fuller-Maitland added to a fine command of length and skill in flighting the ball--what Scores and Biographic described as a great curve, getting many wickets"--a fine leg-break and, at times, according to a famous old enthusiast, a phenomenal one. This admirer of Fuller-Maitland remembered that in the University match of 1867 J. S. E. Hood was bowled by a ball which came right round his legs. The ball pitched so wide that Hood left it alone, only, much to his chagrin, to find himself bowled. The enthusiast used to say that in the course of half a century, he had seen, only three other balls which did so much. According to the same authority, Fuller-Maitland was the best slow bowler that had ever appeared in the University match except A. G. Steel as that great cricketer was in 1878. He further insisted that, with the exception of V. E. Walker, there was no one so clever in making a catch off his own bowling. Mr. Fuller-Maitland had been a member of the M. C. C. since his days at Harrow--nearly seventy years ago.

An all-round athlete, Fuller-Maitland showed great ability at the High Jump as well as at the Long Jump and took part in the University Sports from 1865 to 1867. In 1866 he appeared for Oxford at Racquets in both the Singles and Doubles. He entered Parliament as member for Breconshire in 1875 and held the seat until 1895 when he retired.

GAME, MR. WILLIAM HENRY, a famous Oxford and Surrey batsman in the seventies, died at Brancaster, Norfolk, on August 11, in his 79th year.

Mr. Game enjoyed the unique distinction of having hit a ball from Spofforth, the great Australian bowler, out of the Oval. The occasion which furnished this memorable feat was the match between Surrey and the Australians early in the tour of 1878. The Australians, a week or two earlier, had made their name in sensational fashion by beating in the course of a single day's cricket at Lord's a most formidable team of Marylebone, so Surrey's defeat by five wickets occasioned no surprise. Game was dismissed without getting a run in the first innings and in the second made only 10, but that small score included the mighty square-leg hit off Spofforth.

A fine free hitter, if rather lacking in defensive skill, and an exceptionally brilliant out-field, W. H. Game was born at Stoke Newington on October 2, 1853. Educated at Sherborne, he captained the eleven there in 1871 when reached three-figures upon four occasions, his great triumph being an innings of 281, put together against Motcombe School, in four hours and a half. Three years later at the age of 20, when in residence at Oxford, he hit up, for Wadham against Oriel, a score of 234, not out, in two hours and a quarter. He first appeared for Surrey in 1871 when only 17 years old.

Going up to Oxford in 1873, Game was in the Eleven four years, captaining the Dark Blues in 1876 when in the second innings he made 109. For all that, Oxford suffered defeat by nine wickets, Game's hundred--the first ever hit for Oxford against Cambridge--having been preceded by a score of 105, not out, on the part of W. S. Patterson in the first innings of Cambridge. Prior to that year the only three-figure scores registered in the Universities' match had been those of William Yardely, the great Cambridge batsman, who made 100 in 1870 and 130 in 1872. These four innings, together with 117, not out, by F. M. Buckland in 1877 and 107, not out, by W. H. Patterson in 1881, were the only individual hundreds recorded in the course of the first forty-seven matches between Oxford and Cambridge. In the same season that he enjoyed his notable success against Cambridge, Game made 141 for Oxford against Middlesex. He did not play a great deal for Surrey, but in 1875 averaged 22 runs an innings--no small achievement in those days.

An all-round athlete, Game not only distinguished himself on the cricket field but, in 1873 at Cambridge and the two following years, when Oxford and Cambridge tried conclusions at Rugby football on the Oval, he formed one of the Dark Blues' team. At that time twenty players figured on each side. The varying formations which then obtained are strongly emphasised by Game's records, which show that in the match decided in February, 1873, he was one of the two backs, in that of 1873-74 the one three-quarter, and in the contest of 1874-75, one of three backs.

In the Oxford University sports of 1873, when 19, he threw the cricket ball 127 yards 1 foot 3 inches and, at the Oval in 1875, after throwing the cricket ball 111 yards he at once threw it back the same distance.

GIBSON, SIR HERBERT, BART, President of the Incorporated Law Society in its Centenary year (1925), died at Great Warley, Essex on September 7 in his eighty-second year, having been born in July 1851. He played in the Uppingham XI in 1870 and also for Oxford University Authentics and Free Foresters.

GODLEY, JOHN ARTHUR(1ST BARON KILBRACKEN), died at Malvern on June 27 aged 85, having been born in London on June 17, 1847. He was in the Rugby School XI in 1866. From 1883 to 1909 he was Under-Secretary of State for India.

GREAVES, MR. WILLIAM ARNOLD, a very capable cricket and football journalist, born at Sheffield in 1894 and associated for several years with the production of Wisden's Almanack, died on December 23 at the age of 38. Taken prisoner early in the war he suffered severely from lack of reasonable food and although on his return to England early in 1919 he was apparently in good health his constitution had been seriously undermined. For two or three years he battled on in Fleet Street, with extended intervals for rest and treatment, but for a long time past ever-increasing weakness had prevented him from attempting any work. Indeed for nearly eighteen months, nursed with untiring devotion by his wife, he had been confined to bed. A man not only of much ability and sound judgement but of high character, he possessed, in addition to those excellent qualities, a natural kindliness that rendered him widely popular.

GRIMSTON, MR. WALTER EDWARD, was born on May 16, 1844 and died on July 28. Like his father, the late Rev. and Hon. Edward Harbottle Grimston, he secured his flannels at Harrow and appeared v. Eton not only in 1862, but in 1863, when he and C. L. Hornby figured in an excellent first-wicket partnership. He played for both Essex and Suffolk and was Master of the East Essex Hunt.

GUY, CANON THOMAS EDWARD BARLOW, who died at York of May 7, had just entered his 80th year, having been born on May 2, 1853. He was in the Lancing College XI 1868-72, being captain the last two years. He played for Oxford v. Cambridge at Association football in 1875-6. He was Head master of Forest School, Walthamstow 1876-86, and Canon and Prebendary of Strensall in York Minster from 1923.

HANCOCK, MR. WILLAM CHARLES, who from 1902 to 1912 inclusive, acted as honorary secretary to the Staffordshire County Cricket Club, died on March 26, at the age of 71.

HARDSTAFF, RICHARD GREEN, who was born on January 12, 1863, at Selston, Nottinghamshire died there on April 18. A left-arm medium-pace bowler, he rendered good service to Rawtenstall, the Lancashire League club, for several years and between 1893 and 1899 he played occasionally for his county. Altogether he took 99 wickets for Notts at an average cost of 19. He put together his highest score in 1896 in W. Chatterton's Benefit match at Derby when Notts made 466 runs, of which W. Gunn obtained 207 not out. Going in last Hardstaff hit up 60 before being run out and taking eight wickets for less than seven runs apiece, was mainly responsible for Derby's small total of 93. In the Notts Colts' match at Trent Bridge in April, 1896, he disposed in the course of one day of 14 batsmen at a cost of only 38 runs. In the same year on the same ground he took for Notts against Yorkshire ten wickets for 94 runs--seven in the first innings for 44 runs.

HEARNE, GEORGE GIBBONS, the eldest of three brothers--Frank and Alec were the others--all of whom played with much distinction for Kent, was born at Ealing on July 7, 1856, and derived his qualification for Kent through his father having charge of the Private Banks Ground at Catford Bridge. George Hearne's chance of appearing in the county ranks was, no doubt, materially increased by the fact that in 1875--the first year of Lord Harris's captaincy--all Kent's home matches with other counties were contested at Catford Bridge. Playing first for Kent in that summer of 1875 when less than nineteen years of age, George Hearne kept his place in the eleven for twenty-one seasons. Primarily a bowler, left-hand round arm, fast medium in pace, he afterwards developed into a capable left-handed batsman. He used to get on a decided natural break and off his bowling manly catches were given in the slips where C. A. Absolom seldom missed a chance. He always batted in correct style and, improving as he increased in strength, played many fine innings, some of which, as Lord Harris wrote, would have been larger but for his captain running him out so often. Smart if not brilliant in the field, George Hearne, as a rule, stood point or mid wicket. Following upon his first season for Kent, he was engaged at Prince's and in 1877 began a connection with the M. C. C. which continued for nearly half a century.

G. G., as he was known to all cricketers, took in the course of his twenty-one seasons of county cricket, 577 wickets for Kent at a cost of 16½ runs each and scored 7,344 runs with an average of 18. As a result of his labours as bowler in 1877 and 1878 he had 201 wickets for 12 runs apiece and in 1886--his most successful season as a batsman--he made 987 runs for the county with an average of 41. His aggregate in all first-class matches that year was 1,125, among his big performances being:--126 against Middlesex at Gravesend, when he and his brother Frank shared in a partnership of 226, and 117 against Yorkshire at Canterbury, where he and Cecil (afterwards Bishop) Wilson added 215 while together. Three years later at Gravesend he put together 103 against Sussex, a stand with Frank Marchant, who scored 176, producing 249 runs.

Among George Hearne's bowling feats were:--eight wickets for 46 against Lancashire at Old Trafford, when he performed the hat-trick; four for nine against Hampshire at Winchester; fourteen for 130 against Derbyshire at Derby; thirteen for 75 against Hampshire at Southampton; fourteen for 45 against M. C. C., at Lord's, and eight for 53 against Lancashire at Canterbury--all in the seventies.

In 1889, When Notts, Lancashire and Surrey tied for the Championship, Notts entered upon their concluding engagement apparently assured of first honours but in this match--at Beckenham--they were dismissed in their second innings for 35. Kent, set 52 to win, lost six wickets for 25 but hit off the remaining run without further loss, George Hearne batting with rare skill on a diabolical pitch for an hour and three-quarters and being not out 14 at the finish.

Hearne participated in May, 1878, in the match at Lord's which established the reputation of Australian cricket, the tourists on that occasion, after dismissing a most powerful M. C. C. team for 33 and 19, putting on 41 and 12 for one wicket and finishing the game off in a single day.

Of the Kent Eleven that defeated the Australians in 1884--Lord Harris, F. A. MacKinnon, W. H. Patterson, Cecil Wilson, M. C. Kemp, Stanley Christopherson, F. Lipscombe, George Hearne, Frank Hearne, Alec Hearne and James Wootton-- George Hearne was the first to pass away--more than forty-seven years after that memorable triumph. He died on February 13.

HEARSON, MR. HENRY FRANCIS PENGELLY died at Cannes of January 14, aged 48. He was in the Uppingham Cricket XI's of 1903 and the following year and appeared twice in the Cambridge XV v. Oxford. He also assisted Kent at Rugby football.

HILL, MR. VERNON TICKELL, the Oxford University, Somerset, and Glamorgan cricketer, died on September 29, at his home near Weston-super-Mare. Born at Llandaff, South Wales, on January 30, 1871, he was in his 62nd year.

A left-hand batsman who drove with tremendous power and a man who could throw a cricket ball over 120 yards, Hill was a useful cricketer in the Winchester eleven in 1887 and the two following years. At Oxford he gave a remarkable display of hitting in the Varsity Match of 1892. When, on the opening day of this fixture, Hill joined M. R. Jardine, Oxford had lost half their wickets for 157, but the two men stayed together for an hour and forty minutes and added 178 runs. Hill scored 114 of these, the style of the two men affording a very strong contrast. Jardine played a sound game, running no risks, while his partner hit with a freedom that was amazing. Hill's straight drives were admirably kept down and 72 of his runs came from strokes to the boundary.

A batsman who by his free hitting often completely altered the fortunes of a game, Vernon Hill put together many useful scores for Somerset, whom he assisted from 1890 to 1902 and also in 1908. Against Kent at Taunton in 1898 he made 116. Later on he appeared in the Glamorgan eleven.

He visited America twice--in 1895 with Frank Mitchell's team and three years later with the side led by P. F. Warner--and in 1922 played for the M. C. C. team in Denmark.

Although over age, he joined the Army during the Great War and served in France, receiving promotion as Major in the King's Royal Rifles. He was president of the Somerset County Cricket Club in 1930.

HORTON, MR. THOMAS, who died at Bilton House, near Rugby, on June 18, at the age of 61, was born on May 16, 1871. A member of the Repton School XI in 1889 and 1890 and in his playing days a fine forcing batsman and keen fielder, he captained Northamptonshire in 1905 and 1906--the first two seasons of their career as a first-class county. From 1921 to 1924 he was President of the County Club.

HOWELL, HARRY, a famous fast bowler, died at Birmingham on July 9. Born at Birmingham in November 29, 1890, Howell first played for Warwickshire in the season of 1913 when, at the age of twenty-two, he appeared for the county in three matches. A year later he had fully established himself as a member of the team, participating in seventeen matches and helping to form, in company with F. R. Foster, F. E. Field and P. Jeeves, as strong an attack as that of any first-class county. Taking a fairly long run and bowling with a nice easy action, Howell was distinctly a fast bowler, without, however, possessing the special gift of extra pace off the pitch.

After the War, he met with much success for several years. In 1920, he obtained 161 wickets in all matches for just under 18 runs each and in 1923 he secured 152 wickets for Warwickshire for less than 20 runs apiece. In the latter season he enjoyed the distinction at Edgbaston of taking all ten Yorkshire wickets in the first innings of that county for 51 runs. A year later on the same ground he and Calthrope between them dismissed Hampshire for 15. Howell in the course of four overs and five balls, took six wickets for seven runs, the other four falling to Calthorpe for four runs. This was one of the most amazing of matches, for Hampshire, after following on 208 in arrear, hit up a total of 521 and in the end won by 155 runs.

Howell played four times for England against Australia--twice at Melbourne and once at Adelaide for the team led by J. W. H. T. Douglas in 1920-21, and also at Nottingham in the first Test match of 1921. He accomplished nothing of note in these matches, but must have had a very different record had he been given proper support in the field. From all accounts the slip fieldsmen, early in each of the three matches in Australia failed him wretchedly. Chosen to assist the Players against the Gentlemen in 1920, he secured six wickets for 40 runs in the second innings of the Oval match and at Lord's took six wickets in all for 13 runs apiece. He dropped out of first-class cricket in 1929.

As an Association football player he appeared at times for Wolverhampton Wanderers, Port Vale and Stoke.

JONES, MR. WILLIAM ROBERT, died in Sydney on June 25, at the age of 60. He represented North Sydney District on the New South Wales Assn. (1908-16), was a member of the Executive Committee (1911-16) and of the Board of Control (1913-16). He became a Vice-President in 1920 and remained so until his death. A useful bat and left-arm bowler, he assisted North Sydney D.C.C. His opinions on cricket matters were greatly respected.

KEY, SIR KINGSMILL JAMES, BT., died on August 9, at his residence Wittersham, Kent, from blood-poisoning, the result of an insect bite. An Oxford double Blue and captain of Surrey from 1894 (when he succeeded John Shuter) until 1899, he was born at Streatham on October 11, 1864, and so at the time of his death had not quite reached the age of 68.

He first made his name by a notable performance which he achieved in company with W. E. Roller. Tried for Surrey in 1882 at the age of 17, he had accomplished nothing of special note up to the time he and Roller found themselves engaged in August, 1883, in a match against Lancashire. Surrey were set 234 to make against Crossland, Watson, Barlow and Nash, and late on the second afternoon had lost seven wickets in putting together a score of 122 and so looked doomed to defeat. At that point, Key joined Roller and so ably did these two young men bat that before the drawing of stumps 56 runs had been obtained without further loss. Next morning Key and Roller, with 56 more still required, again played with such skill and confidence that, without being separated, they hit off the remaining runs and so not only gained for Surrey a notable victory but established their individual reputations. Key made 60 and Roller 55. Key in later year had many fine batting performances to his credit but nothing was more remarkable than this memorable display at the age of 18.

Educated at Clifton, Key was in the Eleven there from 1881 to 1883. As a boy he not only showed much promise as a batsman but, as a slow bowler with an off break, met with considerable success. Indeed, in his last year at school he scored 90 and one and took five wickets against Cheltenham and against Sherborne, in addition to making 59, secured in the first innings five wickets for 31.

At Oxford he obtained his Blue as a freshman and played four times against Cambridge. His great triumph in the University match was an innings of 143 in 1886, when he and W. W. Rashleigh put on 243 for the first wicket. Another memorable performance was his partnership with H. Philipson in a match between Oxford University and Middlesex at Chiswick Park in 1887. Key made 281 and Philipson 150, the partnership of 340 being at the time the largest on record in first-class cricket.

Key's connexion as an active player with Surrey extended altogether over 17 years before D. L. A. Jephson succeeded him in the captaincy. During this period he scored 12,928 runs in first class matches with an average of 26. He appeared for Gentlemen against Players between 1885 and 1889 and, while making in club games several scores of over 200, had one of 179 against Kent in 1887 as his highest in county cricket. He went to America with E. J. Sanders's team in 1886 and with Lord Hawke's team in 1891 and himself captained a side of Oxford Authentics in India.

A fine, free, powerful batsman, Key also possessed a very strong defence and had at his command all sorts of strokes. He played back with a dead straight bat and could force the ball away with great power. He was never more in his element than in times of difficulty. Indeed, a position of anxiety or disaster brought out his highest skill. Finally, he was a man of most original views, an always philosophic cricketer and an imperturbable captain. As the years rolled by he put on much weight and turned slow in chasing the ball, yet he could generally be trusted to bring off anything which came his way in the shape of a catch.

In addition to the distinction he gained at cricket Key attained some excellence as a Rugby football player and appeared for Oxford against Cambridge in 1885 and in 1886. On the first occasion he figured as one of the three three-quarters and in the following year he filled the post of full-back.

KIRK, MR. ERNEST CHARLES, who, from 1905 until the outbreak of the War, played for Surrey whenever he could find the time and also appeared on a few occasions in 1919 and 1921, was a skilful left-handed bowler rather above medium-pace. He kept a good length, often made the ball go with his arm and kept the batsman constantly playing at him. Of his work in 1908 when, among other performances he dismissed six Worcestershire batsmen for 41 runs, Wisden said of him: In E. C. Kirk, who could only spare time for half a dozen matches, there was found possibly the left-handed bowler Surrey have been waiting for for so many years. Exception was taken to him by some critics on the ground that his delivery was too low, but he made the most of his limited opportunities, taking 30 wickets for little more than 14 runs each. Bowling at the Oval in fine weather is such thankless work that these figures are much better than they look. Born on March 21, 1884, Mr. Kirk died in a London hospital after an operation for appendicitis on December 19 and so was in his forty-ninth year.

LEACH, MR. WILLIAM EDMUND, who, born on November 7, 1851, died on November 30, was one of ten brothers who were at Marlborough. Eight of them appeared in the Eleven during a period--1863-1879--and another was 12th man. W. E. secured his place in 1868 and following season and was a good all-round player combining fast scoring with sound defence. He was a destructive lob-bowler and could field well anywhere. He assisted Lancashire in one match in 1874.

LEATHAM, MR. GERALD ARTHUR BUXTON, was born at Hemsworth Hall, Pontefract, April 30, 1851, and died at Padstow on June 19, aged 81. Although he failed to secure a place in the Uppingham XI and was only a moderate batsman, he developed into a fine wicket-keeper and played for Gentlemen v. Players at Lord's in 1882. He made occasional appearances in the Yorkshire team between 1874 and 1886 and in other first-class fixtures.

LOCKWOOD, WILLIAM HENRY, the famous fast bowler, died at his home, Radford, Nottingham, on April 26, at the age of 64. He had been in failing health for about five years. On his day one of the finest fast bowlers the game of cricket has ever known, Lockwood had a somewhat chequered career. Born at Old Radford, Notts, on March 25, 1868, he was given a trial for Notts in 1886, but accomplished nothing of note and in the following year he accepted an engagement on the ground staff at Kennington Oval. He duly qualified for Surrey and although Notts were anxious to secure his services in 1889, he preferred to stay with his adopted county, and that season signalised his association with Surrey by an innings of 83 against Notts in the August Bank Holiday match at the Oval.

Not until two years later did he make his mark as a bowler, his great performance that summer being eleven wickets for 40 runs against Kent at the Oval, but in 1892 when Surrey had George Lohmann and Tom Richardson as well as Lockwood, the last-named headed the averages for all matches, taking 168 wickets for less than twelve and a half runs apiece. Lockwood continued a great bowler during the next two seasons but, going out to Australia in 1894-95, he failed deplorably and, on his return home, went down the hill so steadily that in 1897 he lost his place in the Surrey team.

Happily in the ensuing winter he was at great pains to get himself fit, and in 1898 obtained 134 wickets and scored nearly a thousand runs in first-class matches. He remained a splendid bowler for several years after this, but finally dropped out of the Surrey team in 1904.

In 1902 he appeared for England against Australia in four of the five Test matches, and in the contest at Manchester, securing eleven wickets for 76 runs, accomplished one of the greatest bowling performances ever witnessed. To begin with, the pitch proved so soft that not until the score reached 129 was Lockwood given a trial but still, in an innings of 299, he disposed of six batsmen for 48, the last five wickets falling for 43 runs. In Australia's second innings Lockwood got rid of Trumper, Hill and Duff while the score was reaching 10. Fred Tate, at deep square leg, missing Darling off Braund the fourth wicket, which should have gone down at 16, did not fall until 64. For all that Lockwood dominated the game, taking five wickets for 28 and the tourists were all out for 86. England had only 124 to make but a night's heavy rain placed batsmen at a big disadvantage and Australia, despite Lockwood's magnificent work, won by three runs.

Lockwood took no such long run as his famous colleague, Tom Richardson, and did not appear quite so fast through the air, but when he was at the top of his form, no one ever came off the pitch much faster than he or--with his off-break also a distinguishing quality of his bowling--was more difficult to play under conditions favourable to batting. He had, too, at his command a slow ball which in his early days he sent down without any perceptible change of delivery. After he came back in 1898 he did not bowl this ball quite as well as before but it was still a very useful part of his equipment.

In addition to being one of the most famous bowlers of his generation, Lockwood was also a first-rate batsman and, had he not been compelled to concentrate his energies upon the taking of wickets would, no doubt, have gained high rank as a run-getter. Among his many triumphs was one for the Players against the Gentlemen at Lord's in 1902, when in addition to taking nine wickets for less than twelve runs apiece, he put together an innings of 100.

MANSFIELD, HON. JAMES WILLIAM, son of the first Baron Sandhurst, died on June 17, at the age of 70, having been born on February 12, 1862. He played three years (1879-81) in the Winchester XI., being captain on the last occasion; his best score against Eton was 49 in 1880--the highest in the match which Eton just won by a margin of nine runs. In his second year at Cambridge he figured in the victorious Light Blue side led by C. T. Studd; also in 1884 in the defeated team under J. E. K. Studd. In addition, he appeared for Norfolk from 1882 onward. His highest innings in a match of note was 117 for Cambridge University against the Orleans Club at Twickenham in June 1883.

MARTIN, MR. T. R., for many years head groundman at Kennington Oval, for the Surrey County Cricket Club, died on May 21.

MATTHEWS, MR. THOMAS GADD, probably the last survivor of that famous band of amateurs-- W. G. Grace, E. M. Grace, G. F. Grace, J. A. Bush, W. O. Moberley, Frank Townsend, R. F. Miles, W. R. Gilbert, F. G. Monkland and C. R. Filgate--who gained the Championship for Gloucestershire twice during the first seven years of the existence of that county club, was born on December 9, 1845, and died on January 6, at the ago of 86. He first played for Gloucestershire in 1870, and a year later, making 201 against Surrey on the Clifton College Ground, enjoyed the distinction of being the first player to put together a score of over two hundred in county cricket. Like many of his contemporaries, Mr. Matthews excelled in the big square leg hit over the ring--a stroke so rarely attempted in these days. In what may perhaps be described as his finest display of batting--an innings of 76 against Yorkshire--he hit Allen Hill, a very fast bowler, high over the square-leg boundary and right out of the ground. He was eventually stumped off Hill by George Pinder who, on the the dangerous wickets of those times, used to stand close up to the fastest of bowling and on one occasion stumped A. W. Ridley of a leg-shooter from Hill. Mr. Matthews made his last appearance for Gloucestershire in a match against Surrey at the Oval in 1878. Until over eighty he hunted regularly with the Badminton and the Berkeley Hounds.

MCELHONE, MR. WILLIAM PERCY, who died in Sydney on April 21, at the age of 61, having been born on December 22, 1870, was an outstanding personality in Australian cricket. He joined the New South Wales Association in 1896, was a member of the Executive Committee (1904-1914) and chairman after the first two years. Appointed a Vice-President he, in 1920, succeeded Mr. J. H. Clayton as President, resigning in September, 1931, on account of ill health. Mr. McElhone was one of the founders of the Australian Board of Control in 1905 and remained a member until 1914. He was the first secretary, afterwards also becoming treasurer and chairman in 1911-12. A high-minded sportsman, he had also a distinguished civic career, being a member of the Sydney City Council from 1912 till 1927 and Lord Mayor in 1922.

MILLS, MR. JOHN, born at Coddington, near Newark, on January 28, 1855, collapsed in his seat during an interval in the match between Derbyshire and Notts at Ilkeston on June 27 and when carried into the pavilion life was found to be extinct. He and Arthur Shrewsbury appeared at Trent Bridge for the first time for the Colts on Easter Monday 1873 and were top scorers against the County XI. with 24 and 35 respectively. A couple of seasons later both were introduced into the county side, for which Mills played occasionally for eight years. He made the record hit on the Wollaton ground and assisted Lenton United until an accident caused his retirement from active participation in the game.

MONTGOMERY, RIGHT REV. HENRY HUTCHINSON, Bishop of Tasmania 1889-1901, was born at Cawnpore, India, October 3, 1847, and died at Moville, County Donegal on November 26. Educated at Harrow, he played against Eton at Lord's in 1864 and two following summers, the Harrovians winning all three games by an innings.

MUGLISTON, MR. FRANCIS HUGH, who died on October 3 in his forty-seventh year, represented Cambridge University at cricket, Association football and golf and played cricket for Lancashire and football for the Corinthians. He was educated at Rossall where he captained the cricket team in 1904--his fourth year in the eleven--and also played for the School at football, hockey, rackets and fives. In 1904 he represented Rossall in the Public Schools rackets championship and he also assisted the Public Schools Eleven against the M.C.C. at Lord's. Going up to Cambridge, he played against Oxford in 1907 and 1908, making in the latter year 109 and 56 against Lancashire for which county he afterwards appeared on occasion without achieving much success. Playing left back, he took part in the Association football match against Oxford in 1907 and in the following year captained the eleven. As a Corinthian player he toured South Africa in 1907 and in 1908 was a member of the University golf team. From 1920 until his death he represented Cambridge on the Council of the Football Association, and also served on the Committee of the Surrey County C.C. He joined up on the outbreak of the war and, after being badly wounded, was invalided out.

NASH, MR. EDWARD HENRY, who passed away on September 18 at the age of 78, was better known as an Oxford University footballer, who played against Cambridge in 1874-5 and the following season, secured International honours for England, and was one of the leading personalities of the Hockey Association. At Rugby School, however, he figured in the cricket XI's of 1870,'71 and'72 (when captain).

PAUL, MR. JAMES STEWART MONCRIEFF, born on February 22, 1908, accidentally electrocuted at Wad Medani, Sudan on August 8 when trying to save a prisoner, was a member of the Sudan Political Service. He appeared in the Marlborough Cricket XI's of 1925 and 1927 and proceeding to Oxford played hockey for his University against Cambridge in 1928 and three following years, being captain in 1931.

PEARCE, SIR WILLIAM, who was born in 1853 and died at Walmer, Kent, on August 24, played a few innings for Kent and subsequently assisted Essex when a second-class county.

RAWSON, MR. WILLIAM STEPNEY, was born on October 14, 1854 and expired suddenly at Yew Tree Cottage, Whitchurch, Oxon, on November 4. He showed considerable promise at Westminster, where he secured a place in the School XI in 1869 and four following seasons. At Association football he played four times for Oxford against Cambridge, being captain in 1875-6, secured a cup final medal as member of the victorious Oxford University XI of 1873-4 and was twice capped for England v. Scotland.

RIVETT-CARNAC, REV. SIR GEORGE, sixth Baronet, who died at Brighton on March 13 at the age of 81, was a member of the Harrow eleven against Eton in 1870.

RUTTY, MR. ARTHUR WILLIAM FORBES, who died at the end of February, was born at Reading, on August 22, 1872, and was educated at St. John's School, Leatherhead and at Sherborne where he headed both the batting and bowling averages in 1891 with 48.50 and 13.96 for 30 wickets. He did not secure his Blue at Oxford though in 1893 he made 78 in the Seniors' match and 72 for Next Sixteen v. The Eleven and in 1894 did the hat trick in the Seniors' match. For Old Shirburians v. Dorset County in 1898 he contributed 261 towards a total of 511 for five wickets. A schoolmaster by profession, he served as a member of the Committee of the Surrey County Cricket Club from 1909 to 1921 and captained the Surrey Second XI from 1908 until 1920 with conspicuous success.

RYLANCE, MR. HARRY, secretary of the Lancashire County Club from the year 1921, died on January 22 from pneumonia. Born at Newton-le-Willows on September 15, 1884, Mr. Rylance, while still a boy, showed considerable aptitude for both cricket and football and, when only 14 years of age, secured a place in the Newton club team for which he rendered fine service both as batsman and bowler. He joined the staff at Old Trafford in 1905, fulfilled a number of engagements as cricket coach, acted during the latter part of the war as assistant to Mr. Matthews his predecessor as secretary and, for two seasons, performed the duties of scorer to the County Club. At Association football, Mr. Rylance was generally associated with the post of goalkeeper. On giving up actual play, he became a referee and progressed so steadily in that capacity that he officiated in League games and Cup-ties, among the contests of which he was given control being the semi-final tie for the Association Cup between Chelsea and Aston Villa at Sheffield in 1920. Quiet in manner but firm of purpose, Mr. Rylance was deservedly popular both as Lancashire County Secretary and as a football referee.

STAINTON, MR. JAMES HAYTON, a well-known and versatile cricket writer, was born at Huddersfield in 1864 and died at Sheffield on June 26. He joined the staff of the Sheffield Daily Telegraph in 1893 and was with that newspaper until 1908 having occupied the positions of Sporting Editor for many years. For over thirty years he journeyed with the Yorkshire Cricket team during the season, contributing to many newspapers throughout the country. He possessed an intimate knowledge of cricket, golf and football and was one of the best amateur billiards players in the Sheffield district. On the return of Mr. P. F. Warner's victorious team from Australia in 1904, Mr. Stainton wrote the complete history of the tour under the title of Bringing Back the Ashes, while he also brought out a book entitled The Golf Courses of Yorkshire, In his younger days, Mr. Stainton was a keen cricketer, footballer and cyclist. He was a useful slow left arm bowler and played outside left with Sheffield Club--the oldest Association club in the world.

STREATFIELD, MR. EDWARD CHAMPION, an accomplished left-handed batsman, a smart slip fieldsman and a capital medium-pace bowler with plenty of break and variety, was born at Hatfield in Surrey on June 16, 1870, and died on August 22, at the age of 62. He stood over six feet in height. Educated at Charterhouse, he was in the Eleven there from 1885 to 1888 and captain during his last two years. In the match of 1888 against Westminster he took eight wickets for 26 and nine for 41--seventeen in all for less than four runs apiece. Going up to Cambridge he obtained his Blue as a Freshman and played four times against Oxford, putting together in 1892 an innings of 116 and taking in all seventeen Oxford wickets for 12 runs apiece. His biggest score in first-class cricket was 145 for Cambridge University (Past and Present) at Leyton against the Australian team of 1890. He hit so brilliantly that he made the runs in 110 minutes. He appeared for Surrey occasionally between 1890 and 1892, for the Gentlemen at Lord's in 1891 and twice for the Gentlemen at the Oval. In company with W. Shelmerdine he won the Public Schools' Rackets Cup in 1888 and in 1891 and 1892 he obtained his Blue for Association football. A schoolmaster after he came down from Cambridge, he afterwards received, under the Board of Education, an appointment as Inspector of Schools.

SULLEY, JOSEPH, born on May 28, 1850, died on February 14, in his 82nd year. He figured in only two matches for Notts, the first being the 1887 game with Surrey at the Oval, which was largely instrumental in the Southern County gaining the Championship. Scotton being unable to play through rheumatism, the side was completed by Sulley. A left-handed bowler, Sulley secured six wickets for 106 runs but Surrey, set 205 to win, got home by four wickets after five had gone down for 127. In February, 1871, Sulley won the Sheffield Shrovetide Handicap of 204 yards off the 73 yards mark.

SWEET, REV. CHARLES FRANCIS LONG, died at Teignmouth on January 24. Formerly Rector of Symondsbury, Dorset, he played for Winchester against Eton in 1879 and going into residence at Oxford he represented his University at Association football in 1881-2 and following season.

TABERER, MR. HENRY MELVILLE, born October 10, 1870, died at Colesburg, South Africa in June at the age of 61. Educated at St. Andrew's School, Grahamstown, he went up to Oxford in 1889 but, although tried several times for the University Eleven, failed to get his Blue for cricket. He represented Oxford against Cambridge, however, at Athletics and Rugby football and played cricket for Essex, Natal, Rhodesia and the Transvaal. At the time of his death he was vice-chairman of the South African Cricket Association and a member of the Board of Control.

TEBBUTT, MR. H. C., who was in the Leys School XI., died on May 28. He was a fine batsman and in a career which extended from 1901 to 1921, headed the Cambridgeshire batting averages on three occasions, viz.: in 1907 (39), 1911 (44), and 1921 (33).

THRING, SIR ARTHUR THEODORE, K.C.B., born on February 7, 1860, died on April 7. Educated at Winchester and twelfth man against Eton at Winchester in 1878, he played and helped his school win by six wickets, dismissing seven batsmen for just under seven runs apiece in the match. He was also in the Winchester Eleven the following year. He was once Clerk of the Parliaments.

TREVOR, COL. PHILIP CHRISTIAN WILLIAM, was for many years the cricket and Rugby football correspondent of the Daily Telegraph and had previously been associated with the Sportsman and the Daily Mail. Born on April 27, 1863, and educated at Marlborough, he passed through Sandhurst into the Army, seeing service with the Burma Field Force (1888-90) and in the Boer War (1899-1902). During the Great War he acted as Assistant Director of Ordnance Services for the London District. He batted with considerable success in club cricket and also built up some reputation as a wicket keeper. A member of the Marylebone Club and Incogniti he, in the winter of 1907-08, was appointed manager of the team which, captained by A. O. Jones, the M. C. C. sent out to Australia. Unhappily for the undertaking the health of Arthur Jones broke down and the Englishmen suffered defeat in four of the five Test matches. Col. Trevor wrote a number of books on the two games with which he was so closely associated. He died on November 14.

WARDELL, THOMAS ARTHUR, who died in December at the age of sixty-nine, having been born on April 19, 1863, played in all sixty-five matches for Yorkshire between 1884 and 1894. A batsman above the average, he bowled right hand slows and against Surrey in 1893 at Sheffield he took four wickets for six runs in the first innings and five for 13 in the second. For Yorkshire v. Staffordshire at Hull in 1892 he figured with David Hunter in a last-wicket partnership of 153. In all he scored 2,009 runs for the northern county (average 20.) and hit four centuries. After leaving county cricket he appeared in Lancashire club games for Colne and subsequently Nelson and was coach at Rossall School until a few years back.

WHEELER, MR. W. H., who died in May at the age of 75, was one of the best known of London's club cricketers, assisting prominent North London clubs and the North Middlesex C.C. and appearing on several occasions for the Middlesex 2nd XI. He was a Life Vice-President and ex-Chairman of the Club Cricket Conference, ex-chairman of the North Middlesex C.C., and at the time of his death Chairman of the Finchley C.C.

WHITWELL, MR. JOSEPH FRY, born on February 22, 1869, at Saltburn-on-Sea, Yorkshire, died on November 6, aged 63. Educated at Uppingham School, where he was a member of the XI from 1883 to 1887 and captain in his last year, he proved himself to be a good bat and an excellent medium-paced bowler. He appeared for Yorkshire in two matches in 1890 but then threw in his lot with Durham and when this county carried off the Second-Class Championship honours in 1901, acted as captain of that unbeaten team and headed the batting statistics with an average of 35.

WILSON, MR. FREDERIC BONHOTE, who died on January 19, was born on September 21, 1881. In his younger days himself a wonderful natural player of any ball game, he devoted his life after leaving Cambridge to journalism, to which he brought not only an unsurpassed knowledge of his subjects but also a light and kindly touch. His counsel and advice to young players, generously and modestly offered, was that of the expert, and equally his opinion carried great weight with older and more experienced players.

His criticism, although ample, was always that of an open-hearted man, full of good fun and amazingly quick in perception. To him W. G. Grace, with whom he at one time played a great deal of cricket, was a hero and an inspiration, but that never prevents him from appreciating and enjoying modern worth. He had a old-world courtesy to his elders, knew to the finest point what was right and what was wrong, was as courageous as a lion, and withal was the jolliest, wittiest person for whom the heart of man could ask.

When a boy at Elstree, he at once made his mark as possessing an eye and a power of wrist well above the ordinary and, going on to Harrow, he did all that a boy could do to win credit for his school. He played in the cricket matches against Eton at Lord's in 1899 and 1900 and in both those years represented his school at rackets and fives. In the game with Eton in 1900, making 79 and 24, he contributed largely to Harrow's victory by one wicket. Going up to Cambridge he did little in 1902 but in the following season he scored 7 and 42 against Oxford and in 1904, when captain, he made 46 and 7 in the University match. He played for Cambridge at tennis in the Doubles in 1902 and 1903 and in the Singles in the latter year, while at rackets--the game at which he particularly excelled--he represented his University in the Singles in 1903 and the Doubles in both 1902 and 1903. After coming down from Cambridge he kept up his cricket for a time with the London County Club at the Crystal Palace where he developed his great friendship with W. G. Grace. On the outbreak of war he joined the R.N.V.R. and later on, when holding a commission in the Royal Fusiliers, was wounded. Associated in his earliest days, as a journalist, with the Daily Mirror he reported games in a racy style of his own and after the war was identified with The Times for which it was his legitimate pride that he contributed accounts of no fewer than 20 different kinds of games.

© John Wisden & Co