Obituaries in 1939

BAKER, MR. JAMES CLARK, died on February 1st. Regarded as one of the best forcing batsmen Otago and New Zealand have produced, he was a member of the team which toured Australia in 1899 and headed the batting averages with 41.4. His highest innings was 81 against South Tasmania, but probably 56 against Victoria, when he and D. Rees put up 135 for the first wicket, was his best display. He played several times for New Zealand against overseas teams and made 40 against the powerful 1896 Australian eleven.

BAKER, MR. PERCY CHARLES, died on December 30, 1939, aged 65. At Uppingham and Oxford, Percy Baker failed to get a place in either eleven, but his form for Beckenham warranted a trial for Kent when 26 years of age and for two seasons-- 1900-01--he earned fame in a very strong batting side. He used good reach in powerful driving and played some brilliant, forcing innings. Most memorable was his display at Trent Bridge in 1900. A great innings of 137 by William Gunn, followed by 59 in half an hour by G. J. Groves and Dench, enabled A. O. Jones to declare with five men out and good prospect of victory. Instead of playing for safety, Kent went for the runs. With six wickets in hand they wanted only 78 to complete a larger score than ever had been made in a last innings at Trent Bridge. Wass, troubled by a leg injury, then returned to the field and the whole aspect changed. Wass bowled C. J. B. Marsham; Baker was stumped off Jones; Huish run out and Wass finished the match by bowling Colin Blythe, Nottinghamshire winning by 12 runs some twenty-five minutes from time.

BALLANTINE, CAPT. E. W., cricket writer, died on March 1, at Herne Bay, aged 70. To every test match in recent years he took a cricket bat with hinged leaves on which he had collected the autographs of over 400 cricketers who had played for their countries. After becoming a schoolmaster in Durban in 1889 he was Sporting Editor of the Natal Mercury. A member of the Greyville club, he played with David Nourse and E. Vogler when the Durban Championship was won for the first time. He had reported more than a hundred Test matches, and made three tours with M.C.C. teams in Australia and three in South Africa.

BATHURST, MR. LAURENCE CHARLES VILLEBOIS, died on February 22, aged 67. Of good height and build, he wad best known as a clever left-handed bowler, slow to medium with varied spin. He met with much success during five seasons in the Radley eleven, and finishing as captain he took 43 wickets at 8.76 each, while his right-handed, steady batting earned an average of over 40. L. C. H. Palairet gave him his Oxford Blue in 1893, but in two matches against Cambridge Bathurst did little with the bat, though by dismissing four early batsmen he was largely responsible for victory by eight wickets when C. B. Fry captained the side. Against Sussex at Lord's in 1894, he celebrated his first match for Middlesex by taking twelve wickets for 63. Among his victims was W. L. Murdoch, the famous Australian, then captain of Sussex. From 1896 he played for Norfolk, the county of his birth, but could not devote much time to county cricket, owing to scholastic duties. In 1894 Bathurst toured America with Lord Hawke's team, doing will with the bat--average 36--and he was also the best bowler--30 wickets at 6.12 runs each. He served in the Imperial Yeomanry during the South African War.

BEAN, MR. ERNEST EDWARD, Patron of the Victorian Cricket Association, a member of the Australian Board of Control and Test Selection Committee died at Melbourne of March 22, aged 72. A batsman of considerable ability, he played occasionally for Victoria as far back as 1888. His best score was 103 not out against Tasmania.

BLAIR, MAJOR-GENERAL EVERARD MCLEOD, C.M.G., R.E., died on May 16, aged nearly 73. Born at Bangalore, in India, he was educated at Cheltenham, where he was in the eleven for two years before going to Woolwich. Between 1893 and 1900 he played occasionally for Kent. Strong in defence with plenty of strokes, he made 61 at Bristol in 1893 when first appearing in county cricket, but never reproduced this form, though getting many runs in second-class cricket. He bowled slow leg-breaks and fielded admirably. He and Captain Hamilton won the Military Racquets Cup in 1895, beating the famous champion Eustace Crawley and Captain Eastwood.

BOWLEY, THOMAS, who died at Sherborne on November 9, at the age of 82, was a successful fast bowler for Northamptonshire, Surrey and Dorset. He appeared for Northamptonshire between 1881 and 1884, and against Essex, at Wellingborough, in 1884, he took all the wickets, with the exception of one run out in the first innings. Next season he joined Surrey and during seven years took 386 wickets for just over 15 runs apiece. He had a rather low delivery, but was accurate in length and direction. With George Lohmann and Jack Beaumont, he made the Surrey attack very formidable. One of his best performance was six Derbyshire wickets for 13 runs at Derby in 1889. In 1894 he was appointed cricket coach at Sherborne School, a post he held for seventeen years, and assisted Dorset. He died twenty days before he and his wife would have celebrated their Diamond wedding. He was native of Nottinghamshire.

BREWSTER, MR. FRANCIS ENOCH, died at Newport, Rhode Island, U.S.A., on May 26, aged 87. He played in the Philadelphia 22 against W. G. Grace's Team in 1872, and helped Philadelphia win the Tournament at Halifax, Nova Scotia, in 1874, against All Canada and The English Officers Team. He also played against The English Officers Team in 1875 when Philadelphia retained the Cup, which became known as the Halifax Cup. He visited England in 1884 and also went to Canada and Bermuda with Philadelphia teams. A useful all-rounder, he batted steadily, bowled slow right arm with deceptive lift, and fielded brilliantly at point or mid-off.

BROWN, MR. SERVAAS VAN NIEKERK, who died at Capetown on June 9, aged 56, was a member of the Western Province team that won the Currie Cup competition in 1920-21.

BULPETT, MR. CHARLES WILLIAM LLOYD, who died at Nairobi, Kenya, on July 11, aged 87, played for Rugby against Marlborough at Lord's in 1891, and appeared for Middlesex against Yorkshire there in 1880. He did not gain his cricket Blue at Oxford, but enjoyed a reputation for other sporting activities. Over a level measured mile at Newmarket in 1887 he won a wager of £200 and £400 in bets by walking a mile, running a mile and riding a mile in less than eighteen minutes. A year later, at the age of 35, he accomplished the feat again in better time and won a bet of £1,000 to £400. A sound bat and useful fast bowler, he succeeded A. G. Guillemard as Hon. Secretary of the butterflies C.C. and was, in his turn, followed by C. F. H. Leslie.

BUSH, MR. ROBERT EDWIN, D. L., a contemporary of W. G. Grace and one of Bristol's best known figures, died at Stoke Bishop on December 9, aged 84. He played for Gloucestershire from 1874 to 1877 when W. G. Grace was in his prime. For nearly thirty years he sheep-farmed extensively in Western Australia. During the last war he converted his home at Bishops Knoll into a hospital or wounded Australian soldiers, nearly 3,000 of whom were treated. He held office for a time as chairman and president of the Gloucestershire County Cricket Club. While in Australia he became a member of the legislative council.

CAVE, MR. WALTER FREDERICK, who died on January 7, and 75, was in he Eton eleven of 1880 and two following seasons. He played his best innings, 9, on his last appearance against Harrow. In 1883 he appeared a few times in the Gloucestershire eleven, his highest score being 42 against Surrey at the Oval. A good defensive batsman he was strong in off-side strokes. In the field he showed special smartness at long-leg. An architect of distinction, he designed many notable buildings, especially some for music, and was credited with the idea of placing candle holders on pianos. A good athlete, he won the hundred yards race and other events at Eton.

COLEBROOK, REV. EDWARD LOTHERINGTON, who died on August 10, at Canterbury, aged 80, was in the Charterhouse eleven three seasons and got his Oxford Blue in 1880. Going in first at Lord's he scored only three, but the order was changed and he made 34 not out in the second innings of 151. A. G. Steel took seven wickets for 61, and Cambridge won by 115 runs. In a match between Gentlemen of Kent and England at Canterbury in 1880, he was dismissed twice for low scores by W. G. Grace.

CONINGHAM, MR. ARTHUR, died at Sydney on June 13, aged 73. He played for Queensland and New South Wales and in 1893 came to England but did nothing noteworthy. His highest innings was 151 for Queensland against New South Wales. In a match at Brisbane in 1891 for Stanley against Alberts in the Aitchinson Ale Trophy competition, all Stanley's 26 runs were made by Coningham. A left-hand batsman and bowler, he ranked high at home as an all-rounder. A first-class runner, rifle shot, billiards player and oarsman he also played football.

COOPER, MR. WILLIAM HENRY, who at the time of his death in Australia on April 5, 1939, was acclaimed as the oldest Australian Test player, owned Maidstone, Kent as being his birthplace in 1849. Taken to Australia when eight he did not start serious cricket until 27, and then only on medical advice. Cooper soon gained a reputation as a slow leg-break bowler and, against England at Melbourne in the 1882 New Year's match, he took nine wickets. He came to England with W. L. Murdoch's team in 1884 but did not play in a Test. In a busy cricket life he captained Victoria, was a State Selector, and vice-president of the Victoria Cricket Association.

CRAWFURD, MR. JOHN WILLIAM FREDERICK ARTHUR, who died in Dublin on June 22, aged 61, had as contemporaries in the Oxford eleven R. E. Foster, B. J. T. Bosanquet, F. H. B. Champian, H. C. Pilkington and H. Martyn. He played against Cambridge at Lord's in 1900 and 1901, the first game being that in which R. E. Foster broke the existing record for the University Match with a magnificent innings of 171. A useful bat and left-hand fast bowler, Crawfurd also excelled at football and gained his Rugby Blue in 1900. He was one of the best all-round players of games at Merchant Taylor's School.

CREBER, HARRY, cricket professional and groundman to the Swansea Cricket and Football Club for forty years, died on March 27, aged 65. A left-hander. He was one of the stock bowlers when Glamorgan became first-class in 1921, In the August Bank Holiday match at Cardiff in 1902 against the Australians he took four wickets for 65 runs for a combined Glamorgan and Wiltshire side, and twice enjoyed the distinction of dismissing Clem Hill, the great left-hand batsman. Joe Darling's team had to fight for victory by six wickets, the match ending on the second day with 10,000 people looking on.

CROW, MR. JOHN, the first official scorer appointed by the Kent County Club in 1874, retained the post until 1896. A good player for the St. Lawrence Club, he lived for over sixty years in Nunnery Fields, near the Kent headquarters and died at his residence on January 22, aged 91. A freeman of the City he was on of the best-known figures in Canterbury and a delightful companion, always fond of recalling his experiences connected with Kent cricket.

DEANE, MR. HUBERT GOUVAINE (NUMMY), one of South Africa's great captains, died suddenly at Johannesburg on October 21, after a heart attack. He will always be remembered for his fine leadership of the young teams of 1927-28 and 1929, and there can be no doubt that his inspiration and careful team-building were chiefly responsible for the improvement in South African cricket of recent years. Born at Eshowe, Zululand on July 21, 1895, Deane, an attractive batsman, who scored fast when set, and a brilliant fieldsman, especially at cover, played for Natal for a few seasons after the Great War and for Transvaal from 1923. A member of the 1924 team in England he played in all five Test matches, but did nothing outstanding. After captaining the Currie Cup-winning Transvaal teams of 1925-26 and 1926-27, he was appointed captain of South Africa against the English touring team of 1927-28, and, after the first two Tests had been lost, and the third drawn, the last two were won largely owing to his fine tactics. Deane won the toss in all five Tests, which were played on matting, and in the 2nd, 4th and 5th games, he sent England in first, so that his young team would know what they had to beat, and he triumphantly justified his policy. In the third match he scored 77 and 73, putting up a record Test partnership with E. P. Nupen in each innings. His leadership of the young and inexperienced side that toured England in 1929 increased his reputation, and the team did much better against the chief sides than expected. In the fifth Test match at the Oval Deane won the toss and sent in England, who could make only 258. With three wickets down for 25 runs Deane joined H. W. Taylor, and they added 214, the captain scoring a courageous 93. England recovered well, but the honours went to South Africa. Deane retired from first-class cricket after this tour, in which he scored 1,239 runs, average 34.41. Persuaded to captain South Africa again, in 1930, he found himself so much out of form that he resigned after playing in the second and third Tests. In the Currie Cup competitions, Deane scored 1,082 runs, average 37.31, the highest three centuries being 165 for Transvaal against O.F.S. in 1923-24. He took a prominent part in the administration of the game, and was a member of the committees that selected the South African teamsof 1929, 1930-31 and 1931-32.

FREEMAN, EDWARD CHARLES, died at Sherborne in his 79th year on October 16. He played occasionally when Essex were promoted to first-class rank in 1895, but became prominent in the cricket world for making the Leyton ground suitable for important cricket. In the effort to improve the pitches and prolong the matches, he asked Sam Apted, the Surrey expert, how he kept The Oval turf so impervious to wear. Freeman was advised to apply a liquid mixture three days before the match. Surrey were the next visitors to Leyton, and Essex winning the toss, expected a perfect pitch, but on real sticky dog, their powerful batting side fell for 37 before Lockwood and Brockwell. The most attractive match of the Essex season ended on the second afternoon. Freeman had applied the mixture on each of the three days, instead of only on the third day before the match! Afterwards he produced pitches equal to any in the country and Essex prospered. Several of his family were players of repute, the chief being his nephew, A. P., Tich, whose slow bowling for Kent earned records season after season--notably 304 wickets in 1928. He was succeeded as coach and groundsman at Sherborne School by one of his six sons, E. J. Freeman.

GILLIGAN, MR. WILLIE AUSTIN, father of Frank, Arthur and Harold, three cricket captains, died at the age of 75, on December 31. He went with Brixton Wanderers to Holland over 50 years ago, this tour following the first by an England eleven--Marlborough Blues--to that country. A member of the Surrey Club for 57 years, W. A. Gilligan served on the Committee. His eldest son, Frank, captained Oxford University in 1919. Arthur, then the Cambridge fast bowler, became Sussex captain, and was succeeded by Harold. A. E. R. Gilligan captained England against South Africa in 1924, and also the team that toured Australia during the following winter. A. H. H. Gilligan led the M.C.C. team on a special tour in New Zealand and Australia in the winter of 1929. When A.E.R. and A.H.H. were in the Sussex eleven, F.W. played for Sussex. All three brothers were in the cricket and Rugby football teams at Dulwich College, where their father was educated.

HAYWARD, THOMAS WALTER, who died on July 19, aged 68, at his Cambridge home, was one of the greatest batsmen of all time. He afforded a notable instance of hereditary talent. A son of Daniel Hayward, a player of some repute, he was a nephew of Thomas Hayward, who in the sixties was by common consent the leading professional batsman in England.

Born at Cambridge on March 29, 1871, he belonged to a family which lived for many generations at Mitcham; both his father and grandfather appeared in the Surrey XI. Like his famous uncle he played in beautiful style. Using a straight bat he possessed all the qualities essential for success at the wicket--unlimited patience, admirable judgement, watchfulness and strong defence. While he scored all round the wicket, his chief strokes were the cut and off-drive. It may be questioned whether anyone ever surpassed him in making the off-drive, the stroke being executed delightfully and so admirably timed that the ball was rarely lifted. Of good height and build Hayward had remarkable powers of endurance. He first appeared for Surrey in a county match in 1893 and in 1898 played his greatest innings--315 not out against Lancashire at the Oval.

Equal in merit was his 130 for England when badly needed in the fourth match against Australia at Old Trafford in 1899. At the Oval that season Hayward and F. S. Jackson, the best batsmen in the earlier Tests, were chosen by A. C. MacLaren to open the England innings and they made 185, the amateur's share being 118. England put together 576, so beating the 551 by Australia on the Surrey ground in 1884. Hayward altogether played in twenty-nine Tests against Australia, which he visited three times, and he also played in six matches against South Africa. An automatic choice for the Players, Hayward, in twenty-nine matches against the Gentlemen at Lord's and the Oval, scored 2,374 runs with and average over 47.

For twenty years in succession, 1895-1914, he scored over a thousand runs each season in first-class cricket. In 1904 he made 3,170, and in 1906 3,518, which still stands as the record aggregate in first-class cricket. Hayward, 273, and Abel, 193, made a world record for the fourth wicket, 448 against Yorkshire at the Oval in 1899. Before the war--1905 to 1914-- Hayward and Hobbs, also born at Cambridge, became the most notable opening pair in the game. They put up 100 or more for the first wicket on forty occasions. In 1907 they accomplished a performance without parallel in first-class cricket by making 100 for Surrey's first wicket four times in one week: 106 and 125 against Cambridge University at the Oval; 147 and 105 against Middlesex at Lord's.

Hayward was the first batsman after W. G. Grace to complete the hundred centuries, and altogether he reached three figures on 104 occasions, fifty-eight times at the Oval and eighty-eight for Surrey. In three matches he scored a hundred in each innings, excelling in 1906 by doing this twice in six days--144 not out and 100 at Trent Bridge off the Nottinghamshire bowlers, 143 and 125 at Leicester. He carried his bat through the first innings for 225 at Nottingham, the next best score being 32. That season Hayward made thirteen centuries, equalling the record set up by C. B. Fry in 1901. Eight times he carried his bat through an innings; achieved the double event in 1897 with 1,368 runs and 114 wickets, and another distinction he enjoyed was scoring 1,000 runs before the end of May in 1900.

When at the height of his fame as a batsman, Tom Hayward also was worth his place in the Surrey eleven as a bowler. In 1897 Tom Richardson took 238 wickets at 14.55 runs each in county championship matches, Hayward coming next with 91 with an average of 19.28. Hayward, bowling medium paced off-breaks, contrasted with Richardson, whose expresses often whipped back from off to leg-stump. Leicestershire experienced the strength of this combination in 1897 on the Aylestone Road Ground where they were twice dismissed for exactly the same total--35. Hayward took seven wickets for 43 and Richardson came out with the astonishing figures of 12 wickets for twenty runs. They bowled unchanged in each Leicestershire innings and the match was all over in a day. Between the two collapses, Surrey made 164, Hayward being top scorer with 26. In 1899 Hayward twice performed the hat-trick--against Gloucestershire at the Oval and Derbyshire at Chesterfield.

Putting on weight, he became rather slow in the field, though playing to the end of season 1914 but, 43 years of age when the war broke out, he did not attempt to return to active participation in the game when cricket was resumed in 1919.

Altogether in first-class cricket Tom Hayward scored 43,409 runs with an average of 41.69 and took 481 wickets at a cost of 22.94 each. Complete statistics of his career were supplied by the late Major R. O. Edwards for the 1921 issue of Wisden. By a strange oversight the compiler missed one century. He mentions specially the 100th in June 1913. Hayward made two other hundreds that season and two more in 1914 when Surrey last won the Championship. His 116 against Yorkshire at Lord's where Surrey played two matches during the early weeks of the war, was Hayward's last century.

LAWRENCE, MR. ANTHONY SACKVILLE, a Lieutenant in the Coldstream Guards, died on March 17 in London, aged 27. A Cambridge blue in 1933 he took part in drawn match with Oxford, who found much trouble in avoiding defeat after rain had wasted a lot of time on the first two days. A sound left hand bat and left arm medium paced bowler with good action, he captained Harrow in 1930 when Eton won by eight wickets. Illness prevented him from reaching the high standard to which good style suggested he might attain. He was a fine field at cover point.

LAWRENCE, SIR WALTER, founder of the Lawrence Trophy for cricket, died on November 15 at his home at Hyde Hall, Sawbridgeworth, Herts, aged 67. An enthusiastic sportsman, who kept his own cricket field at Hyde Hall, Sir Walter in 1934 introduced his trophy and a 100 guineas order on a London store for the cricketer who hit the fastest hundred in a first-class match. It discouraged senseless stonewalling and was an inducement to enterprising players to try for the annual prize. The winners have been: Woolley, Gimblett in his first match for Somerset, Ames, Hardstaff, H. T. Bartlett and again Ames, who in 1939 scored the fastest hundred of the season for the second time. Hardstaff made his hundred at Canterbury in 51 minutes.

LYTTELTON, THE HON. ROBERT HENRY, died at North Berwick on November 7, aged 85. Educated at Eton and Cambridge, he excelled as a student and critic of the game rather than as a player. With A. G. Steel he edited the Badminton Library volume in 1887, and in particular he was a foremost advocate of reform of the leg-before-wicket rule. Trained in the earlier school, which regarded putting the legs in front of the wicket for the purpose of defence as not only bad play but unsportsmanlike, he strove hard for over thirty years to bring about such alteration in the law as would penalise batsmen backing up with their pads. He went so far as to urge that a batsman should be given out if the ball hit any part of his person (except his hand) that is between wicket and wicket. In Crisis in Cricket and the Leg-BeforeRule, he expounded his views on the subject and also on the artificial preparation of wickets. His dramatic account in the Badminton volume of the University match at Lord's in 1870 ( Cobden's match) was honoured by inclusion in The Oxford Book of English Prose. Bob Lyttelton, sixth son the Fourth Lord Lyttelton, and one of eight brothers, seven of whom played for Eton between the years 1857 and 1872, was nearly 6 feet 3 inches tall. A useful bat for Eton he failed to get his Blue at Cambridge but represented the University in the doubles tennis match of 1874.

MCILWRAITH, MR. JOHN, a member of the fifth Australian team which visited England in 1886, died at Melbourne of July 13, 1938, aged 81. A hard-hitting batsman at his best, he was not particularly successful on that tour, making 533 runs, average 15. He played in one Test. Just before coming to England he hit 133 for Victoria against New South Wales--his first appearance for the State--and 125 for the Australian team against Victoria. In first-class cricket in Australia he scored 947 runs with an average of 32. In the 1883-84 season his aggregate exceeded 1,500 runs for the Melbourne C.C. alone.

MALLETT, MR. R. H., known throughout the British Empire as a prominent cricket legislator, died on November 30, aged 81, at his home, Ickenham, in Middlesex. Honorary Secretary of the Durham County Club, He played for the County from 1884 to 1906; captain in 1897. He took a leading part in the formation of the Minor Counties Cricket Association in 1895 and was the Hon. Secretary from 1897 to 1907, afterwards becoming Chairman and President. Mr. Mallett retained the Presidency until 1938 and in recent years he served two periods on the M.C.C. Committee, but was best known for his work in connection with touring teams. He was responsible for the programmes of several teams that came to England. In this way he was closely associated with the Australian visiting teams of 1926 and 1930 and the South African team of 1929. The West Indies were specially indebted to Mr. Mallett. He managed their tours to England in 1906, 1923 and 1928. In 1929-30 he managed the M.C.C. tour in the West Indies and next autumn he was in charge of the West Indies team that went to Australia. When a young man, he was so fit that on one day he played at wing three-quarter Hartlepool Rovers and in an Association Cup-tie.

A charming man in every way, he always worked to the advantage of cricket. Keeping in close touch with the game and a great authority on the laws, Mr. Mallett was appointed a member of the Commission, with Mr. W. Findlay and Mr. R. C. N. Palairet, which in 1937 after lengthy inquiries, issued a report as to the best ways and means of conducting the County Championship.

MORDAUNT, SIR HENRY JOHN, 12th Baronet, died on January 15, aged 71. An all-round athlete of exceptional ability he took a prominent part in the Sports at Eton and was in the cricket eleven three seasons, finishing as captain in 1886. Making the best of the material under his command H. J. Mordaunt led Eton to victory over Harrow at Lord's for the first time since 1876. His name stands high at Eton also for having thrown a goal in the Wall Game in 1885, thus repeating the feat of Mr. Walter Marcon in 1842. He did not play a big innings in the important matches for Eton, but was always useful with the ball and when his side beat Winchester by eight wickets he dismissed six men in each innings at a total cost of 65 runs. Winchester's totals were 233 and 59. This was twelve days before Harrow were defeated by six wickets. Bowling a good pace he relied on length with the extra fast ball which made batsmen cautious about attempting risky strokes. Getting his Blue at Cambridge in 1888 he did little in a drawn game but next year, when Oxford were beaten by an innings and 105 runs, he made 127, the third highest score in University encounters up to that time. Going in first he was fourth out at 250 and only 50 more runs were added. By taking two wickets for 11 runs Mordaunt gave useful help in dismissing Oxford a second time for 90, but S. M. J. Woods was the great bowler of the match with eleven for 82 runs. Mordaunt scored 78 for Cambridge against the Australian team of 1888 and was largely responsible for the University leading on the first innings by 66, the match being drawn. H. J. Mordaunt played a little for Hampshire in 1885 and 1887 and occasionally for Middlesex from 1889 to 1893. Six feet high and well built he was a powerful driver with good style.

MOULE, MR. W. H., a Judge in Australia, died in Melbourne in September, aged 81. He played for Victoria, and in 1880 was a member of the Second Australian team that visited England, with W. L. Murdoch as captain. He scored 75 runs in six 11-a-side matches and took four wickets for 69 runs. Moule played at the Oval in the hastily arranged first match between fully representative sides of England and Australia and proved a valuable substitute for the Demon, F. R. Spofforth, who was indisposed. Moule did by far the best bowling for Australia, three wickets for 23, in a total of 420 and when Australia followed-on he helped W. L. Murdoch in a last wicket stand which saved the innings defeat and enabled the Australian captain to finish not out 153, one more than W. G. Grace scored for England. All who played in the match are dead now.

MUIR, MR. GEORGE H., died at Southampton on March 29, aged 70. Noted for work for cricket and football in Hampshire, he was at two periods Secretary of the County Cricket Club, and twice President of Hampshire Football Association.

NAPIER, REV. JOHN RUSSELL who died on March 13, aged 80, accomplished two remarkable performances for Lancashire in 1888. Against P. S. McDonnell's Australian team he made 37, the highest score in Lancashire's second innings and then, with John Briggs the slow left hander, dismissed the visitors for 66. Napier took seven wickets in the match and Lancashire won by 23 runs. At Sheffield in July he took four wickets without conceding a run, Yorkshire's last five wickets falling at the same total, 80. A fast round arm bowler, he was captain of the Marlborough eleven in 1878 and played occasionally for Cambridge University. In 1881 when sure of his Blue he ricked his back and was compelled to rest when the match with Oxford was played at Lord's.

OLIVER, LT.-COL. SIR FREDERICK, a past President of Leicestershire County Cricket Club, died on August 7, aged 71.

OVER, JOHN, died on December 20, aged 89. Cricket and football grounds were his special care. When he helped to prepare the pitch at Kennington Oval for the first fully representative match between England and Australia in September 1880, soot was the only dope used on the Surrey ground. Water and the roller brought the turf to perfection--a description given to this pitch at the time of the match. W. G. Grace scored 152 and, when Australia followed on, W. L. Murdoch went one better with 153 not out. For some thirty years John Over kept the Tottenham Hotspur ground at White Hart Lane in good order.

OXENHAM, MR. RONALD K., who died at Brisbane on August 16, aged 48, made a name in first-class cricket comparatively late, but became the best all-rounder produced by Queensland. A right-arm medium-pace bowler, noted for accuracy of length and skill in flighting he was a good bat and smart slip field. He played in three Tests against A. P. F. Chapman's team in Australia, and also represented the Commonwealth against South Africa and West Indies. In Sheffield Shield matches, he took 167 wickets, average 22.14, and scored 2,314 runs, for an average of 30.72. He suffered serious injury in a car accident in 1937 and, never fully recovering, took no further part in first-class cricket.

PALMER, RICHARD, died on March 2, at his home near Sittingbourne, aged 88, having been born at Hadlow in Kent on September 13,1850. On the recommendation of William Yardley, the Cambridge captain in 1871, Palmer took a professional engagement at Fenner's ground. He played occasionally for Kent from 1873 to 1876 and again in 1882. Described as a good batsman and medium-paced round-arm bowler he was most useful as wicket-keeper. In 1875 for Kent against M.C.C. during the Canterbury Week he showed his skill behind the stumps by dismissing six men--four caught, two stumped, and Kent won by six wickets. W. G. Grace scored 35 and took six wickets in the match. In 1873 Palmer played in a match unique in its way. The Marylebone Club had offered a Champion County Cup for competition at Lord's. Several counties, after deciding to compete, declined to enter the contest and M.C.C. withdrew the offer, but Kent and Sussex agreed to play their round at Lord's. Kent won by 52 runs, as described in Wisden, on dangerous and bad wickets. A new and very fast bowler, Mr. Coles, battering and bruising several of the Sussex men and finally disabling George Humphreys. Mr. Coles had ten Sussex wickets--eight bowled. This was the only match played for the Cup. Subsequent to this match the preparation of wickets at Lord's was left to the superintendence of the Umpires who were selected a week previous to the match being played; the result was good wickets for the remainder of the season.

PATTERSON, MR. WILLIAM SEEDS, of Fulwood Park, Liverpool, died at his home at Working on October 20, aged 85. An outstanding cricketer in the'seventies, he was educated at Uppingham and was one of many players who established the cricket fame of that school. He captained the eleven in 1873; played in the Cambridge Freshman's match in 1874, scoring 147, and in the next three seasons appeared against Oxford. In the 1876 University match he scored 105 not out and took seven wickets. He captained Cambridge in 1877 when Oxford, led by A. J. Webbe, won by ten wickets. F. M. Buckland played a great not out innings of 117 and in the two Cambridge innings took seven wickets for 52. A. J. Webbe and his brother, H. R. Webbe, hit off 47 runs wanted by the Dark Blues for victory.

That year both University captains played for the Gentlemen in memorable match against the Players at Lord's. The Gentlemen were set to get 143 to win and the task appeared light for a team so strong in batting that I. D. Walker, the captain put himself in last. The order was changed in the second innings and when Patterson joined G. F. Grace nine men were out for 97, but the runs were obtained amidst tremendous excitement, the Gentlemen winning what was described as The Glorious Match, by one wicket. Now, A. J. Webbe, for many years captain and President of Middlesex, alone remains of twenty-two noted cricketers, the flower of the game at that time.

Patterson was an excellent all-round cricketer, an attractive batsman and a reliable slow bowler. After his University days he played little first-class cricket, though he turned out occasionally for Lancashire, the last time, as he said, being about 1882. Asked if he were ever president of the county, he replied: Lancashire had rather a strong amateur representation, two or three Steels, two or three Hornbys as well as Vernon Royle. The management was always jealously retained at Manchester. I lived in Liverpool!

PEREIRA, REV. EDWARD, died on February 25, aged 72. Educated at Oratory School, Birmingham, of which he became headmaster, he took great interest in cricket. A good all-round player himself, he helped his boys by buying a ground at Edgbaston for the school. He played for Warwickshire occasionally in 1886, 1895, and 1896 without doing anything noteworthy; but his few appearances suggested that he would have been valuable if able to give time to county cricket.

POSTHUMA, MR. C. J., who died in Holland in December, aged 71, was mainstay of the Dutch teams which visited England in 1892, 1894, 1901 and 1906. A medium to fast left-hand bowler, he used off-break with a slower ball. On the invitation of W. G. Grace he played for London County for a season. During his long career ( 1884-1926) he took over 2,000 wickets. During the last War, Posthuma earned the gratitude of cricketers among the British soldiers and marines interned in Holland by organising cricket matches for them.

ROSSLYN, LORD, died on August 9, aged 70. When Lord Loughborough, he played for Eton and Oxford but did not get into either XI for the big match at Lord's. He captained Northamptonshire, when a second-class county, in 1891. Standing 6 feet 2 inches in height he was a good bat and could keep wicket.

ROTHERHAM, MR. HUGH, died on February 24, when nearly 78 years of age. He finished three years in the Uppingham XI as captain in 1879 and next year when nineteen, he played for the Gentlemen at Lord's. Over six feet in height he took a long run and bowled very fast, right round arm. He met with marked success, clean bowling five Players at a cost of 41 in the first innings and dismissing three in the second innings. His victims were Ulyett, Bates, Scotten, Alfred Shaw, Fred Morley and Barlow, all England players. Thanks to his success the Players followed-on and were beaten by five wickets. He appeared for the Gentlemen on several other occasions and was prominent in a tie match at the Oval in 1883. After taking six wickets for 41 in the first innings he made 13 not out, so helping the Gentlemen to a lead of 32. In a great final struggle, he joined A. P. Lucas and 23 runs brought the scores level before he was bowled by Peate, the Yorkshire and England slow left hander. A. P. Lucas carried his bat thought the innings of 149 for 47. Rotherham played in a few matches for Warwickshire when business permitted before going to Australia. He was a brilliant three-quarter in the Coventry XV.

RUBIE, LIEUT.-COL. CLAUDE BLAKE, C.B.E., E.D., died on November 3 after an operation, aged 51. He was the appointed manager of the cricket team that would have toured India during the winter had not the war intervened. A well-known member of M.C.C. he used to keep wicket occasionally for Sussex.

STOCKTON, SIR EDWIN, died on December 4, aged 66. Hon. treasurer of Lancashire for six years from 1919 immediately after the Great War, he became president for two seasons and then chairman of the committee until 1932. He retained his keen interest in Lancashire cricket as a Vice-president. Sir Edwin advocated the inclusion of one or two professionals on the England selection committee but disapproved of suggestions for county cricket on Sundays. Yet, he frequently entertained visiting teams for big matches by taking them for a Sunday trip by boat up the Manchester Ship canal and return from Liverpool by train. He gained no special reputation on the field of play.

STORY, COL. WILLIAM FREDERICK, C. B., whose death took place on December 1, at the age of 87, always took a keen interest in cricket, though in recent years he may have been better known as an owner of racehorses. Born at Stockport in April 1852, he played cricket for Nottinghamshire several times in 1878 and 1879; a batsman above the average, he bowled fast round-arm, and excelled as a wicket-keeper, being one of the first stumpers to dispense with the services of a long-stop. He was President of the County Club in 1929 when Nottinghamshire carried off the Championship, chiefly through the fast bowling of Larwood and Voce, for the first time for twenty-two years.

THORNTON, DR. GEORGE, who died in London on January 31, occasionally played for Yorkshire and Middlesex before going to South Africa. Born at Skipton, Yorks, on December 24, 1867, he was educated at Skipton Grammar School, and took his degree at Edinburgh University. When the South African war broke out, Dr. Thornton was one of the first medical men to volunteer. He was made head of the Government Hospital at Pretoria, and spent nine years in South Africa. During this time he appeared for Transvaal, and for South Africa at Johannesburg in the first match Australia played in South Africa in October 1902 when Joe Darling's team were on the way home from England.

Left-handed, with both bat and ball, he was at his best in 1895 when for Middlesex he averaged 31 and took 23 wickets. He bowled with deadly effect against Gloucestershire at Lord's. The fifth man tried, he bowled W. G. Grace, who had scored 169, and in the last innings he took all five wickets that fell at a cost of 20--making nine for 72 in the match. Strangely enough in the corresponding fixture next season he gave by far his best batting display--161--and Middlesex won by an innings and 77 runs. He was not wanted as a bowler.

TUCKER, MR. K. H., who died in Wellington on December 1, aged 64, was one of New Zealand's ablest all-round cricketers. A steady batsman with many strokes, he also bowled cleverly; first leg-breaks, then off theory, and he fielded well at cover point. Against Lord Hawke's team in the winter of 1902 he scored 86 for Wellington, and for New Zealand 56, 67 and 21. Five years later against the M.C.C. amateur side he saved Wellington with an innings of 50 not out, but was not so successful for New Zealand who lost the first Test by nine wickets but won the second by 56 runs.

WARD, ALBERT, a prominent Lancashire and England batsman fifty years ago, died on January 6 at his home in Bolton, aged 73. In 1886 Albert Ward played a few times for Yorkshire, the county of his birth, but, having qualified for Lancashire by residence, he at once proved himself worth a regular place in first-class cricket. Starting in 1889 against M.C.C. at Lord's, he scored 95 for once out and soon afterwards showed his liking for the game at Headquarters by making 114 not out and helping largely towards a victory by an innings and 67 runs over Middlesex. He finished second in the batting averages with 29 and was always valuable in the side that finished level with Nottinghamshire and Surrey at the top of the Championship. He remained a source of strength to Lancashire batting for fourteen years. He was the first professional who reached a four figure aggregate for Lancashire in a season's county matches and nine times consecutively in first class fixtures he made over a thousand runs a season, his best record being 1,790 runs in 1895 with an average of 42. Altogether for Lancashire he obtained 14,698 runs, average 30.95. These were remarkable figures at that time.

Possessing the ideal temperament for an opening batsman--cool, patient, and persevering--he carried his bat through an innings on five occasions and for England against Australia he accomplished some of his best performances.

After scoring 222 in four innings for Lancashire and North of England off the Australian bowlers he made 55 in England's one innings of 483 at the Oval in 1893 and, going out with A. E. Stoddart's eleven in the autumn of 1894, he took a conspicuous part in winning the rubber. Australia began the first encounter at Sydney by putting together 586--then the record for these matches--and England, despite 75 by Ward and consistent batting, had to follow-on. Ward, as usual, going in first, again received capable support and scored 117 towards a total of 437. Australia, before the drawing of stumps got 113 while losing two batsman and wanted only 64 runs for victory but, after a night's rain, Peel and Briggs took the remaining eight wickets for 53 runs and England snatched a sensational victory. England won the second test, Ward with 30 and 41 doing his share, but under unfavourable conditions they were dismissed for small scores. Two victories for Australia squared the rubber. In the final struggle England, set to make 297, lost Brockwell and Stoddart for 28 runs but J. T. Brown, of Yorkshire, joined Ward in a wonderful stand which put on 210 and practically decided the issue, England winning by six wickets. Brown scored 140 in brilliant style and Ward followed a first innings of 32 with 93. Altogether during the tour Ward made 916 runs, the highest aggregate in first class matches, with an average of 41.

Seeing that Albert Ward maintained his form for Lancashire it was strange that he was not called upon again for England, particularly for the next tour in which Australia won the test series by four to one.

Standing six feet high Ward used his long reach in irreproachable defence and, while essentially careful, he drove with plenty of power and cut well. Besides being a fine outfield, where he seldom dropped a catch, he bowled slows which got valuable wickets when the regular bowlers were mastered. He used to say they get so mad at being beaten by a cock-a-doodler like me. Among his victims when in their prime were C. L. Townsend, Arthur Shrewsbury, George Hirst and C. B. Fry. In fact he was one of the early freak bowlers before the description googly was invented.

Albert Ward took his benefit in August 1902 when Yorkshire visited Lancashire. Over 24,000 people paid at the gates on the first day, and the total amount realised by the match was £1,739, although rain prevented play on the last day. Albert Ward was dismissed in an unusual way when Derbyshire were at Old Trafford in 1899. In playing a ball from Davidson he broke his bat; a piece of wood knocked off the leg bail and he was out for 72 hit wicket.

WELLS, WILLIAM, the Northamptonshire fast bowler, died on March 18, aged 58. He did his best work from 1908 until the war started in 1914, subsequent to which he enjoyed most success in 1921, when his 70 wickets averaged 18.44, and in 1924 with 61 wickets at 13.29 apiece--his least expensive season. In 1910 he performed the hat-trick against Nottinghamshire, his victims being George Gunn, John Gunn and Payton. Always playing on a weak side, he occasionally showed to advantage with the bat and in 1923 he averaged nearly 26 in Championship matches.

© John Wisden & Co