Obituaries in 1966

ANDREWS, WILLIAM, who died on December 22, aged 80, was a founder member and Past President of the Irish Cricket Union. Known as The Grand Old Man of Irish Cricket, Willie had been a member of the Northern Ireland Cricket Union for 59 years. In his playing days he appeared for Gentlemen of Ireland and for Ulster. He was at one time High Sheriff of County Down.

ANSON, THE HON. RUPERT, who died on December 20, aged 77, was in the Harrow XI of 1908. He was dismissed for 0, but by taking five wickets in the match for 81 runs, helped in the defeat of Eton by ten wickets. He occasionally played for Middlesex from 1910 to 1914, his best innings being 97 against Essex at Leyton in the last season. On that occasion, after Middlesex had been sent in to bat, he and F. A. Tarrant (250 not out) hit 235 for the opening stand and did much towards victory for their county in an innings with 156 runs to spare.

ATKINSON, BERNARD GERARD WENSLEY, who died in a London hospital on September 4, aged 65, played for Scotland, Northamptonshire and Middlesex. In the St. Paul's School XI from 1916 to 1919, he headed the batting averages in the last two years and while at Edinburgh Academy, where he taught for 37 years, hit many runs for Grange C.C. In 1934 for Middlesex against Surrey at Lord's, he hit a short-pitched ball from A. R. Gover for six with what was described as an overhead lawn tennis smash. A first-rate Rugby footballer, he appeared at centre threequarter in a Cambridge Seniors' match but did not gain a Blue.

ATKINSON, NIGEL SAMUEL MITFORD, who died on October 24, was in the St. Paul's XI in 1916 and 1917, being second in the batting averages in the second year. His brother, B. G. W. Atkinson, who also died last year, was in the team at the same time. Sam took part in three matches for Middlesex in 1923, earning with medium-paced left-arm deliveries a match record of seven wickets for 106 runs against Cambridge University at Fenner's. He played club cricket for Hampstead for many years.

BAKER, WIRI AURUNUI, who died in Wellington, New Zealand, on July 1, aged 74, was the most prolific scorer in Wellington senior championship matches. A right-handed opening batsman, he hit 10,226 runs in 25 years of senior cricket. In addition, in first-class games for Wellington between 1911 and 1929, he obtained 1,835 runs, average 31.63.

BEASLEY, THE REV. ROBERT NOBLE, who died on January 21, aged 83, played occasionally for Northamptonshire from 1907 to 1911. He was a first-class Rugby footballer.

BEDFORD, PHILIP IAN, who died on September 18, aged 36, after collapsing while batting for Finchley at Buckhurst Hill, captained Middlesex in 1961 and 1962. While at Woodhouse Grammar School, he made his debut for the county in 1947 at the age of 17 and in his first match, against Essex at Lord's, created a highly favourable impression when, with well-controlled leg-breaks and googlies, he took six wickets. That season Middlesex won the County Championship and Ian Bedford occupied second place in their bowling averages with 25 wickets at 19.36 runs apiece. He did not fare so well in the following season and after carrying out his National Service in the Royal Air Force, for whom he played, he returned to Finchley and met with marked success. When he was called upon to lead Middlesex upon the retirement of J. J. Warr, modesty prevented Bedford from bowling as much as he might, but he still achieved an occasional useful performance. Twice he toured South America and once visited Canada with M.C.C. teams.

BENNETT, MAJOR GEORGE GUY MARSLAND, who died on February 6, aged 82, was in the Harrow XI of 1902, helping in the defeat of Eton by eight wickets when scoring 52 not out--his highest innings of the season. While at Magdalen College, Oxford, he played an innings of 131 for the University against Worcestershire at Worcester in 1904, but did not gain a Blue. For over twenty years he did capital service for Berkshire. Besides being mentioned in despatches, he won the M.C. during the First World War.

BERNAU, ERNEST HENRY LOVELL, who died in January, aged 80, toured England with T. C. Lowry's New Zealand team in 1927. In first-class matches, he took 32 wickets with left-arm medium-pace bowling for 24.21 runs each, his best analysis being six for 35 in the first innings of Glamorgan at Cardiff. Bill Bernau achieved some excellent performances for Wanganui, Hawkes Bay and Wellington. In 1913 he took seven South Taranaki wickets for 57 runs in the first innings and five for 45 in the second and he did the hat-trick in the Town v. Country game of 1923. He was also a more than useful batsman, as he showed when hitting 117 for Wellington v. Auckland in his first Plunket Shield match in 1921-22.

BEVINGTON, TIMOTHY ARTHUR, who died in Vancouver in May, aged 85, was at Harrow without gaining a place in the XI. Brother of J. C. Bevington, who also played for the county, he appeared in four County Championship matches for Middlesex between 1900 and 1904. His highest innings was 27 in the last season, when he and J. H. Hunt stemmed a collapse against Gloucestershire at Lord's by adding 50 for the eighth wicket.

BLUNT, ROGER CHARLES, who died in London on June 22, aged 65, played in nine Test matches for New Zealand between 1929 and 1931, seven against England and two against South Africa. Beginning his career as a leg-break bowler, he developed into a very fine batsman. Against A. H. H. Gilligan's England team in New Zealand in 1929, he headed his country's Test bowling averages with nine wickets for 19 runs each. In the opening Test of that tour, which marked the entry of New Zealand into the top rank of cricket, he not only gained a match analysis of five wickets for 34 runs but, with 45 not out, was top scorer in first innings of 112. In England in 1931, his 96 helped New Zealand to a highly creditable draw with England at Lord's after being 230 in arrears on the first innings. Until B. Sutcliffe surpassed his 7,769 runs in 1953, he was the highest-scoring New Zealand batsman in first-class cricket. In a dazzling display for Otago against Canterbury at Christchurch in 1931-32, he hit 338 not out, then the highest score ever achieved by a New Zealand cricketer, though Sutcliffe many years later made 355 and 385. Well-known in business circles in England and New Zealand, he was awarded the M.B.E. in 1965.

BRIDGES, JAMES J., who died in London on September 26, aged 79, bowled fast-medium for Somerset between 1911 and 1929. Before the 1914 war he played as a professional, but later he was one of the many popular amateurs who enjoyed cricket under the captaincy of John Daniell. He had a neat run-up and side-way action and took 685 wickets. When Jack Hobbs equalled W. G. Grace's record of 126 hundreds in 1925 at Taunton, Bridges had him caught at the wicket by M. L. Hill for 101. His bowling partner was usually R. C. Robertson-Glasgow, who tells in his More Cricket Prints how each considered himself the superior batsman; Daniell with rare judgement decided that they should toss for the last two places, a procedure which was regularly observed.

BROOK, GEORGE WILFRED, who died at Bournemouth on July 24, aged 70, did fine work as a leg-break bowler for Worcestershire from 1931 to 1935. Joining the county from the Kidderminster club at the age of 35, he enjoyed marked success in his first season. With such analyses as six wickets for 30 runs against Derbyshire at Kidderminster; six for 37 v. Leicestershire, six for 80 v. Nottinghamshire and six for 89 v. Lancashire, all at Worcester, he dismissed 128 batsmen in Championship fixtures at an average cost of 21.41. Though he did not touch quite the same heights afterwards, he took 461 wickets, average 27.85, during a brief first-class career which terminated when he went to Keighley, the Yorkshire Council club.

BUTT, JOHN ALEC STEUART, who died on October 30, aged 74, did not get a place in the XI while at Marlborough, but played without much success in one match for Sussex in 1923.

CAHILL, KEYRAN WILLIAM JACK, who died in Launceston on March 7, aged 55, played in four first-class matches for Tasmania in 1931-32. His best performance was against H. B. Cameron's South African side when he hit 21 and 35 not out.

CHERRY-DOWNES, HUBERT MICHAEL ARTHUR, who died suddenly on March 28, aged 32, headed the Lincolnshire averages as a fast-medium bowler in 1957 when, with 65 wickets at 14.43 runs apiece, he dismissed more batsmen than any other player in the Minor Counties' Competition. In the Charterhouse XI in 1951 and 1952, he was top of the bowling averages in each year. He appeared for Nottinghamshire Second Eleven before joining Lincolnshire, whom he assisted from 1956 to 1964. Twice he represented the Minor Counties against touring teams from overseas.

CLARKE, JOHN, who died in a London hospital on June 17, aged 53, was leading cricket writer for the Evening Standard from 1958 till his death. The son of a doctor, he toured on behalf of his paper with England teams in Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and the West Indies.

CLIFF, ALFRED TALBOT, who died on January 25, aged 87, played as an amateur for Worcestershire from 1912 to 1920. His highest innings for the county was 59 not out against Leicestershire at Worcester in 1914, when he and M. K. Foster shared in a partnership of 166.

COOK, PERCY WILLIAM, who died in hospital on April 5, played for Kent Second Eleven in 1920 and 1921. He headed the bowling averages in 1920 with 21 wickets for 6.47 runs each, taking 15 of them for 53 runs at The Oval where Surrey Second Eleven, dismissed for 65 and 70, were beaten by an innings and 35 runs. Cook played most of his cricket for Gore Court C.C., Sittingbourne.

CREBER, ARTHUR B., who died in August, played in three matches for Scotland in 1937. Son of Harry Creber, the Glamorgan left-arm bowler, he took all ten wickets in an innings for Ferguslie in 1935 and for Heriot's F. P. in 1947. He was professional groundsman at Geroge Heriot's School and later head groundsman at Rydal.

CRESSWELL, GEORGE FENWICK, who was found dead with a shot-gun at his side on January 10, aged 50, did not play in first-class cricket till he was 34. After only one trial match, he was chosen for the 1949 tour of England by New Zealand, and he did so well with slow-medium leg-theory bowling that he took 62 wickets in the first-class fixtures of the tour for 26.09 runs apiece. He played in one Test match that season, the fourth, disposing of six batsmen for 168 runs in an England total of 482. He also took part in the two Tests against F. R. Brown's England team of 1950-51. He played for Marlborough, Wellington and Central Districts.

CUNNINGHAM, ERNEST, who died on November 11, aged 86, played for North of Argentine and Brazil. He was father of the better-known O. T. ( Boy) Cunningham, who played in the same sides with him.

DALLAS BROOKS, GENERAL SIR REGINALD ALEXANDER, who died on March 22, aged 69, was in the Dover XI from 1912 to 1914 as a batsman and medium-paced bowler. In his last season he headed the School batting figures with 939 runs, of which he scored 187 in an innings against King's School, Canterbury, at an average of 62.62, and was also leading bowler with 36 wickets at 12.94 runs each. In 1919 and 1921 he appeared in a few matches for Hampshire, hitting 107 from the Gloucestershire bowling at Southampton in the first year. A fine all-round sportsman, he captained the Combined Services against touring teams from Australia, South Africa and New Zealand, led them at hockey, at which he played for England against Ireland and France and captained the Royal Navy at golf. Joining the Royal Marines on his eighteenth birthday, he earned the D.S.O. in the First World War for his part in the St. George's Day raid on Zeebrugge in 1918. He was Governor of Victoria from 1949 to 1963.

DICKENS, HENRY CHARLES, who died in November, aged 83, was the last surviving grandson of Charles Dickens. A keen cricketer, he was a member of M.C.C.

DOLL, MORDAUNT HENRY CASPERS, who died at Devizes on June 30, aged 78, was a hard-hitting batsman. In the Charterhouse XI from 1905 to 1907, he hit 195 against Westminster in the last season, when he and R. L. L. Braddell put on 214 together--180 of them in an hour. From 1912 to 1919 he played occasional matches for Middlesex and against Nottinghamshire at Lord's in 1913, scored 102 not out in an unfinished stand of 182 in two hours with H. R. Murrell. He toured the West Indies with the M.C.C. team captained by A. F. Somerset in 1912-13 and also appeared for Hertfordshire.

DUCKWORTH, GEORGE, who died on January 5, aged 64, was an outstanding character in first-class cricket in the period between the two World Wars, a time when the game possessed far more players of popular personality than at the present time. Small of stature, but big of heart and voice, Duckworth used an Owzat shout of such piercing quality and volume that his appeal alone would have made him a figure to be remembered.

But Duckworth possessed many other qualities. He was one of the finest wicket-keepers the game has produced; as a batsman he could be relied upon to fight in a crisis; he possessed wit and good humour which made him an endearing companion, and he was a sound judge of a player, an ability which served his native Lancashire well as a committee man in recent years.

Duckworth, born and resident in Warrington all his life, joined Lancashire in 1922. He made his debut a year later and ended his first-class career, perhaps prematurely, in 1938. He took up journalism, but hardly had time to establish himself before war broke out in 1939. Then he spent spells in hotel management and farming before his post-war career, which included journalism, broadcasting, and acting as baggage-master and scorer to M.C.C. teams abroad, and for touring countries here. He also took Commonwealth sides to India.

Duckworth received a trial with Warwickshire before arousing the interest of his native county with whom he quickly showed his talent by the confident manner in which he kept to such varied and demanding bowlers as the Australian fast bowler, E. A. McDonald, and the spin of C. H. Parkin and R. Tyldesley. By 1924 he had gained the first of 24 Test caps for England, a total which undoubtedly would have been much higher but for the competition of L. E. G. Ames of Kent, who in the 1930's usually gained preference because of his batting prowess. In his later days with Lancashire, Duckworth also faced strong competition from Farrimond, which he resisted successfully.

In Test cricket, Duckworth claimed 59 wicket-keeping victims, and he also hit 234 runs, with 39 not out as his highest. For Lancashire his number of victims was a record 921, and his highest score 75. In all first-class matches he helped in 1,090 dismissals, 751 catches and 339 stumpings. He dismissed 107 batsmen, 77 caught and 30 stumped, in his best season, 1928.

That season completed three Championship successes for Lancashire, captained by Leonard Green, who described Duckworth as One of the smallest, but noisiest of all cricketing artists--a man born to squat behind the wicket and provide good humour and unbounded thrills day by day in many a glorious summer.

Lancashire won the Championship again in 1930, and 1934, so that Duckworth gained the honour of being a member of five championship teams. In 1949-50 Duckworth, a man of administrative ability, took his first Commonwealth team to India, Pakistan and Ceylon, and repeated the successful venture in 1950-51 and 1953-54. Then followed his duties as baggage-master and scorer, at home and abroad, where his jovial personality, wise counsel and experience were of benefit to many a team and individual cricketer. His radio and television commentaries, typically humorous and forthright, became well-known, both on cricket and on Rugby League, in which game he was a devoted follower of Warrington.

Among many tributes were:

H. Sutcliffe (Yorkshire and England): George was a delightful colleague, a great man on tours particularly. He had a vast knowledge of the game and he was always ready and willing to help any young player. As a wicket-keeper he was brilliant.

C. Washbrook (Lancashire and England): He was a magnificent wicket-keeper and a fighting little batsman. In his later years he became one of the shrewdest observers of the game and his advice was always available and eagerly sought by cricketers of every class and creed.

EARLE, GUY FIFE, who died at his home at Maperton, Wincanton, on December 30, aged 75, was a batsman who, while by no means a stylist, used his considerable physique to hit the ball tremendously hard. From 1908 to 1911 he was in the Harrow XI chiefly as a fast bowler, and he captained the School in the famous Fowler's Match of 1910 when Eton, only four runs ahead with nine wickets down, won by nine runs. He played two games for Surrey in 1911, but did not reappear in first-class cricket till turning out in 1922 for Somerset, with whom he stayed till 1931. In all first-class games he hit 6,303 runs, average 20.59, and took 109 wickets for 30.11 runs each. His highest innings for Somerset was 111 against Gloucestershire at Bristol in 1923; his biggest in first-class cricket was 130 for A. E. R. Gilligan's M.C.C. team against Hindus at Bombay in 1926, when he displayed his punishing powers to the full by hitting eight 6's and eleven 4's. He and M. W. Tate (50) put on 164 in sixty-five minutes. Earle was also a member of the first M.C.C. team which met New Zealand in official Tests in 1929-30 under the captaincy of A. H. H. Gilligan. His highest score on that tour was 98 in forty minutes, including three 6's and eleven 4's against Taranaki. On the way to New Zealand he punished Clarrie Grimmett for 22 in an over, including three 6's when M.C.C. met South Australia at Adelaide. Earle struck 59 in fifteen minutes against Gloucestershire at Taunton in 1929.

ENGLISH, EDWARD APSEY, who died on September 8, aged 102, was the oldest surviving county cricketer. He played as an amateur for Hampshire from 1898 to 1901. In the first season, Ted English hit his highest first-class innings, 98 against Surrey at The Oval, when he and A. Webb, by putting on 164 for the fifth wicket in the second Hampshire innings, rescued their side from a precarious position. He continued playing club cricket till 65 and remained an active sportsman till 1957. When 82 he holed in one on the Alton golf course and was 91 when he played his last game of golf. At 93 he reached the final of the Alton Conservative Club snooker championship. For 36 years he was Registrar at Alton.

EVANS BAILLIE, T. H., who died in hospital at Melrose, Roxburghshire, on April 19, aged 77, was a well-known sporting journalist. Educated at Haileybury and Oxford, Bill Baillie was a tea-planter before he took up journalism. Beginning with the Morning Post, he later wrote on cricket and Rugby football for the Manchester Guardian and finally joined the Daily Telegraph, with whom he served for seventeen years till he retired and whose Northern Sports Editor he became. His tall figure and his monocle were familiar sights on many grounds and his genial manner and unfailing humour made him immensely popular. In his young days, he played Rugby for London Scottish and the Barbarians.

GALLOWAY, JACK OMAR, who died in a London hospital on July 30, aged 42, played cricket in Yorkshire and for the Royal Engineers, Mysore State, Sierra Leone and Singapore. For three years during the Second World War, he served as an officer in the Royal Indian Engineers; he was one of the original Council members and became President of the British Association of Corrosive Engineers.

GHULAM MOHAMED, who died in Karachi on July 21, aged 68, toured England with the Maharajah of Porbandar's All India team in 1932. He proved a big disappointment, taking only three wickets in first-class matches at a cost of 95.33 runs each, but on the matting pitches of his own country he achieved much success with left-arm deliveries of medium pace. He played for the Mohammadans in the Sind Pentangular and Bombay Quadrangular tournaments.

GODDARD, THOMAS WILLIAM JOHN, who died at his home in Gloucester on May 22, aged 65, was one of the greatest off-break bowlers the game has known. A big man, standing six feet three, with massive hands, he spun the ball to a remarkable degree and on a helpful pitch was almost unplayable. He bowled mostly from round the wicket and had such a command of length and flight that even on easy surfaces he kept batsmen apprehensive. His height enabled him to make the ball lift more than most spinners and the Gloucestershire combination of Goddard and the slow left-hander, Charlie Parker, was probably the most feared in Championship cricket.

The early days of Goddard's career gave no hint of the success he was later to achieve. Born on October 1, 1900, he first played for Gloucestershire in 1922 as a fast bowler. Despite his strong physique he made little progress and in six years took only 153 wickets at a cost of 34 runs each.

At the end of the 1927 season he left the county and joined the M.C.C. ground staff at Lord's. There he decided to experiment with off-breaks and his long, strong fingers were ideally suited to this type of bowling. Beverley Lyon, the Gloucestershire captain, saw him in the nets at Lord's and, immediately struck by Goddard's new-found ability, persuaded Gloucestershire to re-engage him. The effect was immediate and dramatic. In 1929 Goddard took 184 wickets at 16 runs apiece and he never looked back.

When he finally retired in 1952, at the age of 51, Goddard had taken 2,979 wickets, average 19.84 and in a period when off-break bowlers were not fashionable in Test cricket, he played eight times for England. He finished with six hat-tricks, the same number as his colleague, Parker, and only one less than the all-time record of seven, by D. V. P. Wright of Kent.

One of the hat-tricks came in a Test match, against South Africa at Johannesburg on Boxing Day, 1938. His victims were A. D. Nourse (caught and bowled), N. Gordon (stumped) and W. W. Wade (bowled). This is still the only hat-trick achieved in Test cricket in Johannesburg. That match was drawn, but it also included two other remarkable performances by Englishmen, a century in each innings from E. Paynter, and 93 and 106 on his Test debut by P. A. Gibb.

Goddard appeared three times for England on that tour. His other Test appearances were once against Australia in 1930, twice against New Zealand in 1937 and twice against West Indies in 1939, all in England. His success was limited to 22 wickets, costing 26.72 runs each, but he enjoyed one fine performance, bowling England to victory by 130 runs against New Zealand at Old Trafford in 1937 with six for 29 in the last innings. He was among the thirteen England selected for Old Trafford against Australia in 1938 when rain prevented a ball being bowled.

On 16 occasions Goddard took 100 or more wickets in a season, four times reaching 200. His most successful year was 1937 when he claimed 248 victims. Two years later he achieved the wonderful feat of taking 17 wickets in a day, against Kent at Bristol, nine for 38 and eight for 68. Only two other bowlers have equalled this, H. Verity of Yorkshire and C. Blythe of Kent.

In his big year, 1937, Goddard took all ten Worcestershire wickets in an innings for 113 at Cheltenham. He also obtained six for 68 in the first innings of that match. On seven occasions he finished with nine wickets in one innings.

One of the matches which gave Goddard most pleasure came at Bristol where Gloucestershire tied with the formidable Australian side of 1930. He played an important part in that thrilling match by taking three wickets in five balls at one stage and ended it by taking the final wicket, that of P. M. Hornibrook.

During the 1939 War, Goddard obtained a commission in the R.A.F. He was back at his best when first-class cricket resumed, but because of ill-health he announced his retirement in 1951. To help the county out of difficulties he returned in 1952 and despite his age he took 45 wickets in 13 Championship matches.

When he eventually gave up Goddard established a successful furniture shop in Gloucester in which he was active until about a year before his death.

His final tally of wickets places him fifth in the order of bowlers the game has known. Only W. Rhodes, A. P. Freeman, C. W. L. Parker and J. T. Hearne have taken more. Umpires over the years got to know Goddard's frequent and loud appeals. His first benefit, in 1936, brought him £2,097 and from his second, in 1948, he received £3,355.

GRINTER, TRAYTON GOLDING, who died on April 21, aged 80, played for Essex as an amateur in occasional matches between 1909 and 1921. While serving with the Artists' Rifles in the First World War, he was severely wounded in the left arm. Nevertheless he continued to play cricket for South Woodford and Frinton-on-Sea with marked success while virtually batting one-handed, and he put together more than 200 centuries in club matches. At the age of 50 he turned his attentions to golf and within a few weeks became a seven handicap player. Joining Cockburn and Co., the wine merchants, as office boy on Mafeking Day, 1900, he became chairman 33 years later.

GURUNATHAN, S. K., who died on May 6, aged 58, was Sports Editor of The Hindu and a well-known figure in sporting journalism in India. He wrote with authority on almost all games, but cricket was his speciality. He covered over 50 Test matches in which India took part, including the tour of England in 1952. He contributed to Wisden and to The Times, and was the author of many books, including Story of The Tests and Indian Cricket, an annual publication on the lines of Wisden.

HAIG, NIGEL ESME, who died in a Sussex hospital on October 27, aged 78, was a celebrated amateur all-rounder between the two World Wars. He did not gain a place in the XI while at Eton, but from 1912 until he retired from the game in 1934 he rendered splendid service to Middlesex, whom he captained for the last six years of his career. He was a member of the Championship-winning sides of 1920 and 1921. In addition, he played for England against Australia in the second of the disastrous Test series of 1921 and four times against the West Indies for the Hon. F. S. G. Calthorpe's M.C.C. team of 1929-30 without achieving much success. In all first-class cricket, Haig hit 15,208 runs, average 20.83, and with swing-bowling above medium pace he obtained 1,116 wickets for 27.47 runs each.

Six times he exceeded 1,000 runs, five times he took 100 or more wickets in a season and in 1921, 1927 and 1929 he did the cricketers' double. An agile fieldsman, he held 218 catches. His batting style was scarcely classic, but a quick eye stood him in good stead and, despite his not very powerful physique, he could hit the ball hard. The highest of his twelve centuries was 131 against Sussex at Lord's in 1920, when he, P. F. Warner, H. W. Lee and J. W. Hearne, the first four Middlesex batsmen, each reached three figures--an unprecedented occurrence in first-class cricket which was repeated for the same county by H. L. Dales, H. W. Lee, J. W. Hearne and E. Hendren against Hampshire at Southampton three years later.

Seemingly built of whipcord, Haig, a nephew of Lord Harris, bowled for long spells without apparent signs of fatigue. Among his best performances with the ball was the taking of seven wickets for 33 runs in the Kent first innings at Canterbury in 1920. This was another eventful match for Haig, for he scored 57 in the Middlesex first innings and became the second leg of a hat-trick by A. P. Freeman in the second. In 1924 Haig took six wickets for 11 runs in Gloucestershire's first innings on Packer's Ground at Bristol, a game rendered specially memorable by the fact that C. W. L. Parker, the slow left-hander, twice accomplished the hat-trick at the expense of Middlesex. Haig was also a fine real tennis player, could hold his own with lawn tennis players of near-Wimbledon standard and was equally good at racquets, squash and golf. While serving with the Royal Field Artillery during the First World War, he won the M.C.

HARVEY, GEORGE, who died in June, aged 69, played on several occasions for Norfolk.

HEASLIP, JOHN GANLY, who died on May 23, aged 66, played as an all-rounder for many years for Hounslow C.C. He appeared for Gentlemen of Ireland, the Club Cricket Conference and for Civil Service.

HOLLOWAY, GEORGE JAMES WARNER, who died on September 24, aged 82, was in the Clifton XI of 1903. From 1908 to 1911 he played a few times for Gloucestershire.

HUNTING, GERARD LINDSAY, who died on September 4, aged 75, was a successful amateur batsman for Northumberland before and after the First World War. In the Loretto XI he headed the batting averages in 1910 and 1911.

JACKSON, CAPT. GUY R., who died in a Chesterfield hospital on February 21, aged 69, was a left-handed batsman who captained Derbyshire for eight years. While at Harrow, he appeared against Eton at Lord's, scoring 59--his highest innings of the season. After serving in the First World War, during which he was twice mentioned in despatches and awarded the M.C. and the Legion d'Honneur, he played for Derbyshire from 1919 to 1936, becoming captain in 1922. In four seasons he exceeded 1,000 runs. In all first-class cricket until his retirement from the game he scored 10,153 runs, including nine centuries, for an average of 23.07, and held 109 catches. He was joint managing director of the family iron and steel business, the Clay Cross Co., Ltd.

JEWELL, JACK EDMUND, who died at Knysna, Cape Province, on April 17, aged 75, was a brother of M. F. S. and A. N. Jewell, of Worcestershire. When in the XI at Felsted, he headed the School averages in 1907 and 1908. He later played for Surrey Second Eleven and Orange Free State.

JONES, CHARLES J. E., who died in hospital on September 1, aged 73, founded the London Counties war-time team of professional cricketers who played at Lord's and many other grounds around the Metropolis. Always a keen club cricketer, he was a Vice-President of Forest Hill after acting for many years as fixture secretary as well as being a most efficient umpire. Jones, who possessed an astute business brain--he was connected with the Inland Revenue--sponsored the first Sunday benefit match. It was for Harold Larwood, following the body-line tour of over thirty years ago. It took place at Forest Hill before a crowd of 5,000 and later that evening when Larwood was presented with a cheque for £100 he was so surprised that he showed his appreciation by giving back £25 to the club's funds. More recently, Jones sent to Lord's a scheme to bring all the Test match playing countries to England in the same season, embracing the Counties in a Championship as well as a full series of Test matches. He even drew up a list of fixtures with dates and grounds and stated that he felt sure that, if approached, big business firms would be willing to sponsor the whole affair. Now that firms like Gillette, Rothman's, Horlicks, Carreras and Charrington's are supporting cricket it seems that Jones was not, after all, far off the mark.

JOWETT, COLIN JOSEPH CADWALLADWR, who died on November 11, aged 75, was father of D. C. P. R. Jowett, the off-spin bowler who gained his Blue for Oxford from 1952 to 1955. Educated at Christ's Hospital, Colin played for Dorset for some years from 1923, being a fine bowler and useful batsman, and also served as secretary to the county for ten years after the Second World War. He was well known in Dorset, Somerset and Bristol club cricket.

JOY, FRANK DOUGLAS HOWARTH, who died in a Winchester nursing home on February 17, aged 85, was in the Winchester XI in 1895 and from 1897 to 1899. A fast-medium left-arm bowler, he took five Eton wickets for 21 runs in 1897. At Oxford, he played in the Freshmen's match of 1900, but did not gain a Blue. From 1909 to 1912 he occasionally turned out for Somerset, then predominantly amateur, his best match analysis being seven wickets for 72 runs against Yorkshire at Taunton in 1910, and he appeared for Bombay Presidency in 1908. As a captain in the Army, he was mentioned in despatches during the First World War. His daughter, Nancy, was author of Maiden Over, the standard history of women's cricket.

KNIGHT, BRUCE, who died on December 5, aged 93, played as a young man with W. G. Grace and G. L. Jessop for Witney Town C.C., Oxfordshire. He was formerly proprietor and Editor of the Witney Gazette.

LANGRIDGE, JAMES, of Sussex and England fame, died at his home at Brighton on September 10, aged 60. An all-rounder in the truest sense of the word he could compare for both his left-hand batting and his slow left-arm bowling with the best in either field. He played for Sussex from 1924 until 1953, winning an England place on eight occasions. In his career he scored 31,716 runs, average 35.20, and took 1,530 wickets at 22.56 runs each, achieving the double feat of 1,000 runs and 100 wickets six times. He hit over 1,000 runs in twenty seasons, a total exceeded by only nine batsmen, and compiled forty-two centuries.

James Langridge--his Christian name was always employed to distinguish him from his brother, John, who opened the batting for Sussex for many years--was born at Newick on July 10, 1906. His early cricket was played first at the local school and then for the local club, where he displayed such potential that in 1923 he went to the Sussex Nursery on the county ground. The coach, A. Millward, rapidly realised that he had in his charge a batsman of considerable ability, though at the time his bowling skill had yet to manifest itself. Langridge appeared three times for the county in 1924, but could not gain a regular place until 1927. In that season he missed by eight scoring 1,000 runs and fell four short of a maiden hundred against Middlesex at Brighton. Next season he managed both targets comfortably.

Meanwhile his bowling made swift advances. His 35 wickets in 1928 proved expensive, but in the following year he took 81 wickets for less than 21 runs apiece. At the beginning of the 1930's his batting aggregate fell away, but his bowling proved immensely useful to Sussex, and in recognition of his promise as much as his achievements, Wisden chose him as one of the Five Cricketers of 1931. He amply justified the choice with a remarkable spell of bowling the following summer at Cheltenham, where he took seven Gloucestershire wickets for eight runs.

A year later came his First Test Match, against the West Indies at Manchester. In the second innings of a drawn game he took seven wickets for 56 runs, including that of George Headley, whom he caught off his own bowling. This feat kept him in the side for the final Test and also earned him a place in the M.C.C. team in India that winter. He scored 70 in a draw at Calcutta when batting No. 4, and took five wickets for 63 runs in the last Test at Madras. His other three appearances on the Test field were in the home series of 1935, 1936, and 1946, and he went abroad again with E. R. T. Holmes' team to Australasia in 1935-36 and to India with Lord Tennyson in 1937-38.

Langridge would undoubtedly have been chosen more frequently for England but for the presence of Hedley Verity, of Yorkshire. After the Second World War, during which Langridge served with the National Fire Service, the England selectors, left without a left-arm spin bowler of Test class by the untimely death of Verity, turned to Langridge, then aged 40, for the tour of Australia.

He was one of several players to spend an unhappy time there in the cricketing sense. Chosen for the third test at Melbourne, he injured a groin muscle at practice and thus missed his life's ambition. That virtually ended his tour and his representative career, though he continued to render splendid service to Sussex.

In 1950 he became only the second professional cricketer in recent years to be appointed the captain of a county side, the first being H. E. Dollery, of Warwickshire. He led Sussex for three seasons. His last match was against the 1953 Australians and he gained some slight consolation for the disappointment of Melbourne by materially assisting in preventing the tourists bringing off a win, when he batted for almost two hours in scoring 46.

Langridge could perhaps be cited as the typical professional of the pre-War era, skilled in all departments of the game to which he devoted his whole life. His batting style was as modest and unobtrusive as the man himself, most of his longer innings being patiently compiled. His bowling seldom troubled the best batsmen on good pitches, but, conversely, he was rarely heavily punished, so accurate was his length.

After his playing career ended, he continued to dedicate himself to the county he had served for thirty years, being coach from 1953 until 1959. In his later years he coached at Seaford College. His son, Richard, maintains the family's traditional link with Sussex cricket. Also a left-hand batsman, Richard has played for the county since 1957, gaining his cap in 1961.

MCCORMACK, VINCENT CHARLES, who died on April 8, aged 74, was a one-time Jamaican cricketer and former President of the Jamaican Cricket Board of Control. He was financial controller of the Jamaica Tourist Board.

MCDONELL, HAROLD CLARK, who died on July 23, aged 82, was in the Winchester XI from 1899 to 1901. A leg-break bowler and a splendid fielder to his own bowling besides being a fair bat, he captained the school in the last two years. Against Eton in 1900, he gained match figures of eleven wickets for 111 runs. He got his Blue at Cambridge in 1903, 1904 and 1905, being top of the University bowling averages in the first and last years. In 1904 he took nine wickets for 125 runs in the University match. Next season at Lord's, though achieving little as a bowler, he played an innings which completely altered the course of the game. Facing first-innings arrears of 101, the Light Blues seemed destined to be beaten when they lost six wickets and were still 24 behind. Then McDonell (60) and L. G. Colbeck (107) added 143 in eighty-five minutes and, as A. F. Morcom (six wickets for 41 runs) followed with a remarkable spell of bowling, Cambridge snatched victory by 40 runs. McDonell's best bowling performance was in 1904 at Cambridge, where he took fifteen Surrey wickets for 138 runs--and was on the losing side. He turned out occasionally for Surrey in 1903 and 1904, heading their County Championship averages in the first season with 24 wickets in five matches at a cost of 17.87 runs each. From 1908 till 1921 he rendered good all-round service to Hampshire. He also represented Gentlemen v. Players in 1903 and 1904.

MACLAREN, GEOFFREY, who died on September 14, aged 83, played, like his elder brothers, A. C. and Dr. J. A. MacLaren, for Harrow and Lancashire. Against Eton in 1901, though taking four wickets for 84 runs, he was dismissed for 0; next year he helped in a win by eight wickets by hitting 41 and 9 and again dismissing four men for 84. He played in two matches for Lancashire in 1902 under the captaincy of A. C. MacLaren.

MARALANDA, ARMSTRONG PERCIVAL, who died on June 4, aged 62, was the greatest Ceylon schoolboy cricketer of the century. He was in the Trinity College, Kandy, XI from 1916, when 13, to 1922, in which time Trinity won the Inter-Collegiate Championship on four occasions. He was captain from 1920 to 1922. Besides being an astute leader, he was a stylish right-hand batsman and an accurate off-break bowler. He won prizes for batting, bowling and fielding and was awarded the coveted Lion both as a cricketer and as a Rugby wing threequarter. Unfortunately he was lost to Ceylon cricket after leaving school. He joined the Medical College in 1923 and at the time of his death was Deputy Director of Health Services.

MARRIOTT, CHARLES STOWELL, who died on October 13, aged 71, was one of the best leg-break and googly bowlers of his era. He learned his cricket in Ireland, where he was educated at St. Columba's, and gained a Blue at Cambridge in 1920 and 1921, meeting with remarkable success in the University matches. In 1920, when rain prevented play on the first two days, he took seven wickets for 69 runs and in the following season he played a leading part in a triumph for the Light Blues in an innings with 24 runs to spare by dismissing seven Oxford batsmen in the match for 111 runs.

In all first-class cricket he took 724 wickets at an average cost of 20.04 runs and his bowling skill so far exceeded his ability as a batsman that his victims exceeded his aggregate of runs by 169. Cunning flighting, allied to the ability to turn the ball sharply, made him a menace to batsmen even on good pitches and when the turf gave him help, he could be well-nigh unplayable. His action was high with a free, loose arm which he swung behind his back before delivery in a manner reminiscent of Colin Blythe. From 1919 to 1921 he appeared for Lancashire and when beginning a long association with Dulwich College as master-in-charge of cricket, he threw in his lot with Kent, whom he assisted during the school holidays from 1924 to 1937.

In his first season with the Southern county he distinguished himself by taking five wickets for 31 and six for 48 in the game with Lancashire at Dover and against Hampshire at Canterbury he returned figures of five for 66 and five for 44, and he achieved many other notable performances in later years.

He met with great success on the occasion of his one appearance in a Test match for England. That was at The Oval in 1933, when he so bewildered the batsmen that he took five wickets for 37 runs in the first innings and, with second innings figures of six for 59, hurried the West Indies to defeat by an innings and 17 runs--a feat described by Wisden of the time as one of the best accomplished by a bowler when playing for England for the first time.

Father Marriott, as he was popularly known, engaged in two tours abroad. In 1924-25 he was a member of Lord--then the Hon. Lionel--Tennyson's side in South Africa and in 1933-34 he went with D. R. Jardine's M.C.C. team to India, where, against Madras, he did the hat-trick for the only time in his first-class career. During the Second World War he served as an anti-aircraft gunner in the Home Guard.

MASSIE, ROBERT JOHN ALLWRIGHT, who died on February 14, was, as a 6 ft. 4 in. fastish left-hander for New South Wales, regarded as Australia's bowler of the future in 1914. Unhappily a wound received while on Army service during the First World War ended his cricket career. He represented New South Wales at cricket, Rugby football, athletics and rowing and was also amateur boxing champion of the State.

MELLE, DR. BASIL GEORGE VON BRANDIS, who died on January 8, aged 74, was among the earliest of leg-theory bowlers. He played in first-class cricket in South Africa, helping Western Province carry off the Currie Cup in 1908-09, before going up to Oxford, where he gained a Blue as a Freshman in 1913. High right-arm medium-pace in-swing to three short-leg fieldsmen so confounded Cambridge that he took six wickets for 70 runs in their first innings and two for 46 in the second. A genuine discoveryWisden wrote of him, and indeed he was for, with little support, he headed the University averages that season with 55 victims for 15.90 runs each. Next year he broke a finger in an early game and the consequent loss of practice meant that he never became even a shadow of his previous self, though he again took part in the University match. From 1914 to 1921--the war intervened--he played for Hampshire, and though his bowling declined so much that he was seldom employed in the attack, his batting improved out of all knowledge. In 1919 he finished third in the county averages with 927 runs--110 of them in an innings against Gloucestershire at Bristol--for an average of 33.52. He was also a keen fieldsman.

NEATE, HORACE RICHARD, who died suddenly on November 12, aged 75, was chairman of Bedfordshire C.C.C. from 1938 to 1955, when he became President till ill-health compelled him to retire in 1964. For 40 years he served the Minor Counties' Cricket Association, acting as treasurer and chairman, and for a number of years was the Minor Counties representative on the Advisory County Cricket Committee.

NEWMAN, F. C. W., who died early in the year following a long illness, aged 72, played a few matches for Surrey in 1919 and 1921. A free-scoring batsman from his school days at Bedford Modern, he scored something like 30,000 runs in club cricket and hit over 60 hundreds. He made many runs for the Dulwich club and appeared in the Minor Counties Competition before the First World War for Bedfordshire. In 1926 he became private secretary to Sir Julien Cahn, for whose side he played regularly for many years. He also organised Cahn's tours to West Indies, South America, Denmark, Canada, U.S.A., Bermuda, Malaya and New Zealand.

O'NEILL, WILLIAM PAUL, who died on December 8 at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, aged 86, had a notable career in cricket. He was a native Philadelphian and a graduate of Penn Charter School and the University of Pennsylvania. He came out in big cricket when he appeared for Philadelphia Colts v. Ranjitsinhji's touring team in 1899, taking six wickets for 70 with his slow off-spinners. He appeared on five occasions for the United States against Canada. O'Neill has a minor place in cricket history as the last American to get W. G. Grace's wicket! This occurred in 1911 when he toured England with the Germantown C.C. In a match against Blackheath, the famous W.G. appeared for the Kent club. O'Neill also toured England with the Philadelphia Pilgrims in 1921 but never found time to participate in any first-class tours with the Philadelphians. In 1913 he appeared for a Germantown XII v. Australia in which the American team snatched a famous victory by three wickets. In that match Pete O'Neill's fielding was legendary. He held ten catches during the game, one catch at second slip being held eighteen inches from the ground as he fell forward and reached out flat for the ball.

PREECE, CECIL ARTHUR, who died on November 11, aged 77, played as a professional for Worcestershire from 1920 to 1924. At a period when the county were far from strong, he headed the bowling averages in 1920 when taking with slow-medium deliveries 42 wickets at 30.11 runs each. He never again did as well, though against Warwickshire at Edgbaston in 1924 he performed the hat-trick. He achieved occasional good work as a batsman, his best season being that of 1921, when he hit 505 runs, average 17.66. His highest innings was 69 for the Sussex bowling at Worcester in 1922.

PUCKLE, SIR FREDERICK HALE, who died suddenly on August 5, aged 77, was in the Uppingham XI of 1907 and 1908, being captain in the second year. He played much cricket in India and appeared for Lahore Europeans in 1924.

RAIKES, THE REV. GEORGE BARKLEY, who died on December 18, aged 93, was an Oxford Blue at both cricket and Association football. In the cricket XI at Shrewsbury from 1889 to 1892, he was captain and headed the batting averages in the last three years. He played in the University matches of 1894 and 1895 without achieving anything of note and from 1890 to 1897 he assisted Norfolk. From 1900 to 1902 he appeared for Hampshire, finishing second in the county averages in the first year, when he hit 77 from the Yorkshire bowling at Portsmouth. In 1904 he returned to Norfolk. Ginger Beer, as, because of his initials, he was known to his intimates, was also a useful medium-paced bowler on occasion. He liked to tell the story of the time that he was invited to play for Nottinghamshire, but was compelled to decline because he was captain of Norfolk. As a footballer he kept goal for Shrewsbury from 1890 to 1892; became a Corinthian in 1894; was in the Oxford side in 1894 and 1895 and in 1895 and 1896 gained four full International caps for England.

REES, ROBERT BLACKIE, who died at Bowmans Green, Herts., on September 20, aged 84, was a leg-break bowler of English birth who, between 1909 and 1913, took 57 wickets for South Australia in Sheffield Shield matches at an average cost of 27.92 runs each. He later returned to England and played for West Kent and Free Foresters.

REHMAN, RAY, who died as a result of a road accident on July 10, aged 26, was a Pakistani qualifying by residence for Leicestershire.

RIPPON, ARTHUR ERNEST SYDNEY, who died on April 13, aged 73, played as an amateur for Somerset between 1914 and 1937. At his best a brilliant batsman, on a number of occasions he opened the innings for the county with his twin brother, A. D. E. Rippon. In all, Arthur Rippon hit 3,833 runs, including six centuries, for an average of 21.17 and he held 46 catches. One of his best innings was that at Portsmouth in 1928, when he scored 112 and he and A. Young (92) made 197 in less than two and a half hours for the first wicket. J. C. White taking six wickets for 35 in the Hampshire second innings, Somerset triumphed in an innings with 28 runs to spare.

SAVILLE, STANLEY HERBERT, who died in an Eastbourne nursing home after a long illness on February 22, aged 76, gained his Blue as a batsman for Cambridge in four years from 1911 to 1914, being captain in the last season. He met with little success in the University matches, but he hit 101 against Free Foresters in 1913 and 141 not out from the Army bowling the following summer. He was in the Marlborough XI of 1907 and played a few times for Middlesex before and after the 1914 war. A fine hockey player at inside-right, Sammy Saville captained England and won 37 International caps at a time when matches were fewer than they are today. He had been President of the Hockey Association since 1951.

STANGER-LEATHES, CHRISTOPHER FRANCIS, who died on February 27, aged 84, was a hard-hitting batsman. In the Sherborne XI from 1896 to 1899, he headed the averages in the second and third seasons. For many years afterwards he played for Northumberland. A good Rugby footballer, he represented England at fullback against Ireland in 1905.

TAIT, JAMES, who died on February 1, aged 69, was masseur at Kennington Oval for 36 years. An injury during boyhood ended Sandy Tait's athletic aspirations and he turned his attention to ministering to the hurts of others. From 1916 to 1924 he served with Crystal Palace F.C. and later with Dulwich Hamlet and Kingstonian F.C.s. After joining Surrey he attended to England players and to those of some touring teams when they visited The Oval. A banjo-player and a humorist, he kept the Surrey players in good spirits in the dressing-room and when travelling. His father played at left-back in the Tottenham Hotspur F.A. Cup-winning team of 1901.

TANNER, ARTHUR RALPH, who died suddenly on August 16, aged 77, was an exceptionally good fieldsman close to the wicket. As an amateur for Middlesex between 1920 and 1929, he held 53 catches besides taking 71 wickets with slow bowling and scoring 764 runs.

TAYLOR, CLAUDE HILARY, who died on January 27, aged 61, achieved fame in 1923 when he became the first Freshman in history to hit a century in the University match. From 1918 to 1922 he was in the XI at Westminster, rendering splendid service as a solid, stylish batsman with an eminently straight bat and as a leg-break and googly bowler. In his last season at school, when Wisden said of him that he had strong claims to be considered the best all-round school cricketer of the year, he headed the batting averages at 47.00 and was top of the bowling with 41 wickets for 12.73 runs each. Going up to Oxford, he got his Blue in 1923 and, with an innings of 109, bore a big part in the overthrow of Cambridge by an innings and 227 runs. He played in the University matches of the following three seasons without achieving anything like the same success. First playing for them in 1922 when at school, Taylor assisted Leicestershire till 1927, putting together four three-figure scores, the highest of which was 123 against Hampshire at Southampton in 1924--the only century obtained for the county that summer. After the Second World War, he appeared for Buckinghamshire. He was a master at Eton for many years and joint-author with D. H. Macindoe, another Oxonian and Eton master, of Cricket Dialogue.


AWDRY, CHARLES EDWIN, who died on November 16, aged 59, was in the Winchester XI as a fast-medium bowler from 1923 to 1925, being captain in the last year. For some seasons from 1924 he assisted Wiltshire, taking nearly 300 wickets for them and scoring over 1,500 runs. He went to Egypt with H. M. Martineau's side in 1932 and 1933 and represented the Minor Counties against the 1937 New Zealanders. His father, C. S. Awdry, and his grandfather, Charles Awdry, were also in the Winchester XI of their time.

HINDE, BRIGADIER HAROLD MONTAGUE, who died suddenly in Italy on November 16, aged 69, was at Wellington before moving to Blundell's, where he gained a place in the 1912 XI. A fast bowler, he appeared for R.M.C. Sandhurst and between 1921 and 1932 he took 142 wickets for Berkshire. In 1927 he played for Egypt.

MANN, EDWARD JOHN, who died on December 17, was in the Marlborough XI from 1899 to 1901, being captain in the last year. He played for Cambridge University in 1905, but did not gain a Blue. He later appeared occasionally for Norfolk and Middlesex Second Eleven.


HARRISON, WILLIAM PHILIP, who died on September 7, aged 78, ended a brief first-class career on a glorious note when, in his last innings, he hit 156 for Middlesex against Gloucestershire at Gloucester, where he and E. S. Litteljohn added 131 for the third wicket. In the XI at Rugby in 1902 and 1903, he hit 55 in the match with Marlborough at Lord's in the first year and 76 in the next, when he headed the school averages. He gained a Blue at Cambridge in 1907, but achieved little on the big occasion. He took part in seven matches for Kent in 1904 and 1905 and from 1906 to 1911 he played for Middlesex. In 1906-07 he toured New Zealand with the M.C.C. team.

Correction--In Obituaries in the 1965 edition, the Rev. Somerville Caldwell was incorrectly stated to have played for Somerset. In fact he played for Worcestershire, for whom his highest innings was 133.

© John Wisden & Co