Obituaries in 1967

AHL, FRANK D., who collapsed and died at Ashford Manor golf course on May 3, aged 58, played as a professional for Worcestershire between 1931 and 1933. A punishing batsman in London club cricket for Parsons Green, he met with little success for the county.

BARNES, SYDNEY FRANCIS, died December 26. (See special memoir in features section.)

BENSON, EDWARD TURK, who died in Cape Town on September 11, aged 59, was in the XI at Blundell's from 1924 to 1926, heading the batting averages in the second year and being captain in the last. At Oxford, he got his Blue as wicket-keeper in 1928 and 1929. Against Cambridge in 1928, he and C. K. Hill-Wood--out first ball in the first innings--saved the Dark Blues from what had appeared certain defeat by sharing an unbroken last-wicket stand lasting a hundred minutes. He played in a few matches for Gloucestershire from 1929 to 1931 and in 1929-30 was a member of A. H. H. Gilligan's M.C.C. Team who toured Australia and New Zealand. Benson represented Players against Gentlemen at Lord's in 1929.

BOLTON, JAMES THOMAS, who died after a short illness in a Hastings hospital on September 1, aged 81, was a cricket and football journalist of many years standing in Fleet Street. He reported numerous Test matches, often in collaboration with Sir Jack Hobbs, and was a life-member of The 25 Club, confined in the first place to Pressmen who had reported 25 matches by England against Australia and South Africa. A kindly, friendly man, Jimmy was always ready and willing to extend a helping hand to less experienced juniors.

BRINCKLOW, PETER FRANCIS, who died on August 5, aged 41, was, apart from Royal Navy service in the Far East during the Second World War, a member of the staff of the Cricket Reporting Agency and the Press Association for almost 25 years. He reported cricket, Association and Rugby football and assisted for many years in the production of Wisden.

BROOKS, HUBERT, who died in January, aged 81, was a former player and captain for Durham County, for whom he scored over 3,000 runs and took 85 wickets. He was reputed to be the first googly bowler for Durham, and to have taken the wicket of Sir Jack Hobbs twice in a match. Bertie Brooks made more than 10,000 runs and took 397 wickets for Sunderland, whom he captained at the age of 50.

BUCKSTON, ROBIN HENRY ROLAND, who died at the wheel of his car on May 16, aged 58, was the son of Capt. G. M. Buckston, an Etonian who won his Blue at Cambridge in 1903. Robin Buckston kept wicket for Eton in 1927. From 1928 to 1939, he played for Derbyshire, taking over the captaincy in the last three seasons before the Second World War. He afterwards turned out for the second eleven and became chairman of the Derbyshire Committee.

BURROWS, LIEUT.-GENERAL MONTAGU BROCAS, who died in hospital on January 17, aged 72, was in the Eton XI of 1912, scoring 259 runs, average 43.16. He did not gain a Blue at Oxford, but, when an Army captain, he appeared for Surrey against Sussex at The Oval in 1921, his 24 not out in the second innings helping the home county to win by 49 runs after being 139 behind on the first innings. He later assisted Oxfordshire.

CARLISLE, KENNETH METHVEN, who died on May 15, aged 84, was in the Harrow XI of 1899. He gained a Blue for Oxford in 1903 when, though dismissed without scoring in the first innings, he hit 60 in the second, helping in victory by 268 runs. He also played in the University matches of the two following years, being captain in 1905. In 1908 he represented South v. North Argentine.

CARR, JACK, who died in hospital in November, aged 73, played as a professional all-rounder for Durham from 1924 to 1946, taking 549 wickets and scoring nearly 5,000 runs for the county. A powerful hitter, he scored 35 in ten minutes at Sunderland against the Australian touring team of 1926, 17 of them coming in one over from C. V. Grimmett.

CHARLTON, MICHAEL TAPLEY, who died on March 4 as the result of an accident while returning in a train from reporting an Association football match at Wembley for the Press Association, aged 29, reported first-class cricket for six years, during which time he also assisted in the production of Wisden.

CHARLTON, WILLIAM TAIT, who died in Christchurch, New Zealand, on May 14, aged 61, appeared as an amateur batsman for Durham in the 1930's. He played as a professional footballer for Portsmouth and Lincoln City.

COEN, STANLEY KEPPLE, who died in Durban on January 28, aged 64, appeared for South Africa in two Test matches against Capt. R. T. Stanyforth's England team of 1927, heading the batting averages. Coen played for Western Province, Griqualand West and Orange Free State.

COLLINS, DR. DAVID CHARLES, who died at Tauranga on January 2, aged 79, earned a Blue for Cambridge in 1910 and 1911. As opening batsman in the first year, when he headed the University averages, he hit 57 and 50 and in 1911 scored 31 and 15, but was twice on the losing side. He previously played for Wellington College, New Zealand, and, after coming down from Cambridge, returned to New Zealand. From 1921 to 1927 he was a regular member of the Wellington team, meeting with much success. His father, Dr. W. E. Collins, also gained prominence for Wellington and, when at Cheltenham, played against teams brought to oppose the College under the captaincy of Dr. W. G. Grace.

CORBETT, BERTIE OSWALD, who died on November 30, aged 92 played in one match for Derbyshire in 1910. As an Association football forward, he gained a Blue at Oxford in 1896 and 1897 and in 1901 represented England against Wales.

DUNLOP, CAPT. G. RENTON, who died on July 15, aged 75, was at Charterhouse before going to the R.M.A., Woolwich and the R.M.C., Sandhurst, whom he represented at both cricket and football. After retiring from the Army, he served as Secretary of Berkshire from 1933 to 1939.

EMERY, SINDEY H., who died in hospital in Sydney on January 7, aged 80, toured England with S. E. Gregory's Australian team of 1912. A slow right-arm bowler of uncertain length, he took 67 wickets during the tour at 23,89 runs each, his best analysis being 12 wickets for 110 runs in the match with Northamptonshire at Northampton. He played for Australia in the Triangular Tournament in two Tests with England and two against South Africa, including that at Old Trafford, where T. J. Matthews performed the unequalled feat of doing the hat-trick twice on the same afternoon. Emery met with little success in these games, his five wickets costing nearly 50 runs apiece. For New South Wales, he dismissed 60 batsmen in Sheffield Shield fixtures at an average of 24.65.

FAWCUS, CHARLES LESLIE DINSDALE, who died on December 8, aged 68, was regarded as the best batsman ever to play for Bradfield. A left-hander who opened the innings, he was immensely sound. He found a place in the school XI in 1914 when just over 15 and headed the batting figures in that season and the following two. In 1916 he averaged 125.25, with a highest innings of 164 not out. He was also a useful left-arm bowler. After playing in one match for Kent in 1924, he made an equally brief appearance for Worcestershire in 1925 and subsequently played for Dorset.

FOENANDER, SAMUEL PETER, who died on April 19, aged 84, was the doyen of sports writers in Ceylon and contributed to Wisden for many years. Captain of Wesley School in 1901, when one of the best schoolboy wicket-keepers of the time, he also captained Combined Colleges. He served on the tutorial staff of Wesley and Royal College before taking up journalism. For many years he was sports editor of the Ceylon Observer and for over half a century wrote with authority on cricket, Association and Rugby football, athletics, tennis and golf, besides being a well-known music critic. His services to cricket earned him an M.B.E. An honorary member of M.C.C., he was author in 1923 of Sixty Years of Ceylon Cricket.

GIBSON, SIR KENNETH LLOYD, who died on May 14, aged 79, was in the Eton XI in 1906 and 1907, his highest innings being 77 against Harrow in the first year. From 1909 to 1912, he played for Essex, being described by Wisden as a most capable wicket-keeper. His best season as batsman for the county was that of 1911, when he hit 471, average 19.62, and also played for Gentlemen against Players at Lord's and The Oval. While serving with the Dragoon Guards he was mentioned in despatches during the First World War.

GILLIAT, IVOR ALGERNON WALTER, who died on July 22, aged 64, was a Blue at both cricket and Association football for Oxford. After being in the Charterhouse XI in 1920 and 1921, he played as wicket-keeper in the 1925 University match at Lord's, scoring 22, stumping one batsman--K. S. Duleepsinhji--and catching two. In the same year he figured at inside-right for Oxford at Stamford Bridge. He became a master at Bradfield and later at Radley.

GLOVER, EDWARD ROBERT KENNETH, who died on March 23, aged 55, played as an amateur fast-medium bowler for Glamorgan between 1932 and 1937. In all first-class cricket he dismissed 112 batsmen for 37.63 runs apiece. He was in the Sherborne XI in 1928 and 1929, heading the bowling averages with 43 wickets at 14.21 each. Ted Glover also represented Glamorgan Wanderers at Rugby football. He later became a sports journalist.

GOUDGE, REV. WILLIAM HENRY, who died on May 31, aged 90, played for the Royal Navy as opening batsman from 1919 to 1922, hitting 58 in the match with the Army at Lord's in the last season. He also assisted Wiltshire in 1896.

GREVETT, WILLIAM SYDNEY GORDON, who died in hospital on July 26, aged 74, was formerly Secretary of Eastbourne Cricket and Football Club.

HALLIDAY, HARRY, who died in hospital at Wakefield on August 27, aged 47, played for Yorkshire from 1938 to 1953, when he retired from county cricket. He scored 8,361 runs for the county, including twelve centuries, the highest of which was 144 v. Derbyshire at Chesterfield in 1950, for an average of 32.03. Though not a regular bowler, he also dismissed 101 batsmen at a cost of 30.87 runs apiece. Four times he exceeded 1,000 runs in a season, his best being that of 1950 when, though reaching three figures only once, he scored 1,484 runs, average 38.05. For some years he was coach to Scarborough College and Scarborough C.C.

HARPER, JUDGE NORMAN, who collapsed while batting for Yorkshire Gentlemen against The Cryptics at York in August and died soon afterwards in hospital, aged 63, was a member of M.C.C. who frequently played for Scarborough. He was president of Cloughton C.C., for whom he appeared regularly. Appointed a County Court Judge in 1958, he had previously been Recorder of Doncaster and Bradford.

HART, DR. JOHN ROBBINS, who died on September 18, aged 78, played cricket in Pennsylvania for many years as a member of Merrion C.C. and was a good baseball player. He was formerly Chaplain of the University of Pennsylvania and Rector of the Washington Memorial Chapel at Valley Forge.

HAY, THOMAS DOUGLAS BAIRD, who died in Auckland on April 19, aged 90, played as a batsman for New Zealand in two matches against Lord Hawke's team in 1902-03. An Auckland player, he was manager of the first New Zealand team to tour England, under the captaincy of T. C. Lowry, in 1927. He represented Auckland at Rugby football from 1898 to 1901 and was chairman and one of the original trustees of the Eden Park Trust Board. He was the senior member of the Auckland Stock Exchange.

HEMINGWAY, WILLIAM MCGREGOR, who died on February 11, aged 93, was the oldest living cricket Blue. From Uppingham, where he was in the XI from 1889 to 1892, heading the batting figures in the last season with 637 runs, average 57.10, he went up to Cambridge, gaining a Blue in 1895 and 1896. In 1895 he hit 59 and 9 against Oxford and in the following University match 26 and 12. From 1893 to 1900 he appeared on occasion for Gloucestershire. Twice he took part in tours of America, under F. Mitchell in 1895 and under P. F. Warner in 1897. He came of a cricketing family, for one of his brothers, G. E., played for Gloucestershire, and another, R. E., for Nottinghamshire.

HOWARD, MAJOR RUPERT, who died in hospital on September 10, aged 77, played occasionally as an amateur for Lancashire between 1922 and 1932. In his first match, against Worcestershire at Worcester, he hit 88 not out in eighty minutes. He left the Army in 1932 and became Secretary of the Lancashire County Club from that year till 1948. In 1936-37 he was manager of G. O. Allen's M.C.C. team in Australia and New Zealand and he served in a similar capacity with W. R. Hammond's side ten years later. His sons, N. D. and B. J. Howard, both assisted Lancashire.

HUGHES, DONALD W., who died as the result of a road accident on August 12, aged 56, was President of the North Wales Cricket Association. Since 1946 he had been Headmaster of Rydal School.

HUGONIN, LIEUT.-COL. FRANCIS EDGAR, who died on March 5, aged 69, was in the Eastbourne College XI before making occasional appearances as wicket-keeper for Essex in 1927 and 1928. He also played for the Army.

HUNT, FREDERICK H., who died on March 31, aged 91, played for Kent as a professional batsman and medium-paced bowler in 1897 and 1898 and for Worcestershire from 1900 till 1922. He later served as groundsman at Worcester for many years.

HUNTE, ERROL, who died at Port of Spain in August, aged 62, kept wicket for British Guiana and for the West Indies in three Test matches against the Hon. F. S. G. Calthrope's England team in 1929-30. He was also a good opening batsman. He toured Australia with the West Indies side of 1930-31.

HUSSAIN, DR. DILAWAR, who died at Lahore on August 26, aged 60, was a batsman- wicket-keeper who played in three Tests, all against England, between 1933 and 1936. As an undergraduate at Cambridge in 1936, he assisted the team led by the Maharaj Kumar of Vizianagram when the other two wicket-keepers, D. D. Hindlekar and K. R. Meherhomji, were unfit, and in 17 first-class innings scored 620 runs, average 44.28. A defensive player, he had an ungainly crouching style but possessed unwearying patience coupled with admirable determination. In the Second Test against D. R. Jardine's team at Calcutta in 1933 he opened the innings and made 59 and 57, being the first wicket-keeper to score fifty in each innings of a Test. Principal of M.A.O. College, Lahore, Dr. Dilawar Hussain became a cricket administrator and selector, and was one of the founder members of the Board of Control in Pakistan. Always witty and humorous, he was a noted after-dinner speaker. His son, Waqar Ahmad, was a member of the Pakistan 1967 team in England and flew home for the funeral during the Oval Test.

HYLTON, THE FOURTH BARON (WILLIAM GEORGE HERVEY JOLLIFFE), who died on November 14, aged 68, was President of Somerset C.C.C. He had been Lord Lieutenant of Somerset since 1949.

JAMES, GERALD THOMAS HENRY, who died in Hobart on December 24, aged 59, was one of the best all-rounders produced by Tasmania. Between 1928 and 1946, he appeared in 34 first-class matches for the State. His best performance as a right-arm swing bowler of medium pace was the taking of six wickets for 92 at Launceston in 1932-33 in a total of 502 by D. R. Jardine's M.C.C. team. A hard-hitting batsman, he scored 70 in fifty-three minutes off the bowling of W. M. Woodfull's Australian side of 1934.

KEARSLEY, COL. ALEXANDER H. C., who died on October 8, aged 89, did not gain a place in the XI while at Clifton but in 1913 made one or two appearances for Buckinghamshire. A well-known squash player, he served as honorary secretary to the Squash Rackets Association from 1924 to 1932.

KITTERMASTER, HAROLD JAMES, who died on March 28, aged 65, captained Rugby at both cricket and football. In the XI from 1918 to 1921, he became captain, headed the batting averages in 1920 and, in the next season, hit 131 against Marlborough at Lord's. He also developed into an effective fast bowler, but he did not gain a cricket Blue at Oxford, for whom he played in the University Rugby matches of 1922 and 1924. He assisted Harlequins and, as a splendid stand-off half, appeared for England in seven International matches in 1925 and 1926.

LEYLAND, MAURICE, one of England and Yorkshire's greatest cricketers, died in hospital at Harrogate on January 1 after a long illness, aged 66. His name is famous and will remain so wherever cricket is played. He was admired wherever he went; the length and breadth of England, as well as Australia, South Africa, India, West Indies and New Zealand.

A natural left-handed batsman and bowler, he was born in Harrogate on July 20, 1900 and learned much of his cricket from his father. Ted Leyland, a noted groundsman and one of the best club cricketers in the North. As a boy of 12 he played for Moorside in Lancashire where his father was groundsman-professional and at 14 he played in Lancashire League cricket; when the 1914-18 war finished he left the Army and made cricket his profession. From 1918 to 1920 he was professional to the Harrogate club; he played in Yorkshire Council matches and the Yorkshire 2nd XI.

His first county game was in 1920 against Essex at Southend and that was also the first county game he had seen. His last match for Yorkshire was against M.C.C. in the Scarborough Festival of 1946, though he appeared for odd representative sides in 1947 and 1948. Over a span of 29 years Leyland scored 33,660 runs in first-class cricket, average 40.50; 26,191 of them for Yorkshire, for whom his average was 41.05.

For England, Leyland played in 41 Tests against Australia, South Africa, West Indies and India and scored 2,764 runs in 60 completed innings, 1,705 of which were made against Australia with an average of 56.84. Of his 80 centuries in first-class cricket, 62 were scored for Yorkshire (only Sutcliffe and Hutton have hit more hundreds for the county) and seven of his nine Test centuries were against Australia.

Leyland won his county cap in 1922 and the following season reached 1,000 runs for the first time, a total he surpassed in every season until the war (seventeen times). In three of those years he exceeded 2,000. In 1932 he scored, in 13 innings, 1,013 runs during the month of August. In one of those matches Sutcliffe (194) and Leyland (45) hit 102 off six consecutive overs shared by Farnes, Nichols and O'Connor for Essex at Scarborough.

Leyland had to wait until the 1928-29 tour of Australia under A. P. F. Chapman before making his Test debut for England, in the fifth of the series. At Melbourne in this match, he scored 137 and 53 not out and thereafter no England team looked complete without his name. Though his natural inclinations were free, none was better suited to the task of retrieving a team's fortunes after a poor start, a task to which Leyland brought an impeccable defence and a vast amount of determination. At Brisbane in 1936-37, England's first three wickets fell for 20 runs, but Leyland defied O'Reilly, McCormick and Ward and hit 126, and in the end England won by 322 runs.

In 1938, with a new generation of batting idols, Hutton, Compton and Edrich, springing up, Leyland was omitted from the first four Tests. He returned for the Oval match when England scored 903 for seven declared and beat Australia by an innings and 579, and in that fantastic encounter he scored 187, adding 382 with Hutton for the second wicket, at that time a record for any partnership for England in International cricket, though beaten since.

With Wilfred Barber he shared the record for Yorkshire's second wicket with 346 in four and a half hours, against Middlesex at Sheffield in 1932, and with Sutcliffe the record for Yorkshire's third wicket, 323 against Glamorgan at Huddersfield in 1928. Also, with Emmott Robinson, the record for Yorkshire's sixth wicket, 276 against Glamorgan at Swansea in 1926.

For Yorkshire he hit hundreds against all the first-class counties except Somerset. His highest score was 263 against Essex at Hull in 1936 and his highest aggregate for Yorkshire was 2,196 in 1933, when he also reached his highest first-class aggregate, 2,317, average 50.36.

With any other county than Yorkshire, Leyland would probably have been hailed as a Test-class all-rounder. His left-arm slows had some of the greatest batsmen in difficulties, but when he began his career with Yorkshire, Rhodes and Roy Kilner were established as two of the best slow bowlers in the country and later came Verity as the spearhead of the spin attack. According to Bill Bowes, Maurice claimed he was responsible for the term Chinaman. Because his chances of bowling were few, he began bowling the occasional left-hander's off-break instead of the normal and natural leg-break. Whenever two batsmen were difficult to shift or something different was wanted someone in the Yorkshire team would say, Put on Maurice to bowl some of those Chinese things. Roy Kilner explained, It's foreign stuff and you can't call it anything else.

Leyland could field in almost any position and excelled in the deep, where he covered a tremendous lot of ground, picked up cleanly and returned perfectly, first bounce to the wicket.

A squat, solid figure, his cap slightly a-tilt, Leyland was a great character on and off the field. Yorkshire did not let him go when his playing days were over. They made him their coach form 1951 until 1963 when his long illness laid him low. Some want to change the structure of county cricket. It would not be necessary if there were a few Leylands about today. He breathed the true spirit of cricket and companionship. N.P.


InningsNot OutsRunsHighest


LUCAS, CHARLES ERIC, who died on April 4, aged 81, was in the Eton XI of 1903, scoring 23 against Harrow at Lord's. Going up to Cambridge, he did not gain a Blue. He made a few appearances for Sussex between 1906 and 1908. In the Royal Fusiliers during the First World War, he attained the rank of captain.

MCCRUDDEN, RICHARD JAMES G., who died on December 29, aged 59, had been secretary of Gloucestershire County Cricket Club since 1962 after being connected with County Cricket for many years. In 1948 he received the M.B.E. for service over 25 years to the Blood Transfusion Donors' Association.

MCFARLANE, THOMAS ALBERT, who died at Palmerston North on April 20, aged 76, played as a batsman for Otago and when 19 represented New Zealand against the Australian touring team of 1909-10.

MACLEOD, KENNETH GRANT, who died at St. James, Cape Province, on March 7, aged 79, was regarded as Scotland's greatest all-round athlete, though it was said of him that he never took training seriously. After four years in the XI at Fettes, where he headed both batting and bowling averages in the last season, 1905, he gained a Blue at Cambridge, playing in the University matches of 1908 and 1909. He also earned a Blue as a wing threequarter in the Rugby matches of 1905-6-7-8 and represented Cambridge as a 100-yards sprinter and in the long jump. From 1908 to 1913 he appeared for Lancashire, for whom he scored 2,619 runs, average 22.77, with 131 against Leicestershire at Old Trafford in 1911 as the highest of his six first-class centuries, and took 81 wickets for 24.72 runs each. For Scotland, he played in 10 Rugby International matches from 1906 to 1908.

MAILEY, ARTHUR A., who died in hospital in Sydney on December 31, three days before his 82nd birthday, played as a leg-break and googly bowler in 21 Test matches for Australia between 1921 and 1926. In that time he took 99 wickets for his country, including 36 in the 1920-21 series against J. W. H. T. Douglas's England team. That, like his nine wickets for 121 runs in the second innings of the fourth Test at Melbourne, remains a record for an Australian bowler against England.

Though sometimes paying the penalty for uncertainty of length, Mailey at his best was a difficult bowler to play. He spun the ball considerably and was always prepared to buy his wickets. As Wilfred Rhodes said of him: He never gave up. He would have nought for 100 and might finish with six for 130.

Mailey visited England twice with Australian sides. Under W. W. Armstrong in 1921, he took in all matches 146 wickets at an average cost of 19.61 and when H. L. Collins was captain in 1926 and the leg trouble suffered by the fast bowler, J. M. Gregory, thrust extra work upon him, Mailey dismissed 141 batsmen for 18.70 runs each. His most noteworthy achievement outside Tests was the taking of all ten wickets for 66 runs in the Gloucestershire second innings at Cheltenham in 1921, a performance which inspired the title of his autobiography in 1958: Ten for 66 And All That.

His slight physique did not prevent him from bowling for long spells and in 1926 his feats included 9 wickets for 86 runs v. Lancashire at Liverpool and 7 for 74 and 4 for 81 in the second meeting with Lancashire at Old Trafford; 7 for 110 and 8 for 83 v. Nottinghamshire; 6 for 45 and 5 for 86 v. Hampshire and 5 for 29 and 5 for 58 v. Northamptonshire. Mailey also toured South Africa in 1921, taking in the three Test matches 13 wickets for 11.76 runs apiece.

Mailey began his working life as a labourer, but became a writer on cricket of note and humour, a cartoonist and, late in his life, a painter in oils. After his playing days he made frequent visits to England, South Africa and New Zealand with touring Test teams.

MARTIN, FRANK R., who died at Kingston, Jamaica, on November 23, aged 74, played as a left-handed batsman in nine Test matches for the West Indies between 1928 and 1931. He headed the Test batting averages in England in 1928 and at Sydney, when carrying his bat for 123, earned the distinction of scoring the highest innings against Australia in the five Tests of 1930-31. On his first-class debut for Jamaica in 1925-26, he put together 195 against Barbados at Bridgetown and next year played the highest innings of his career, 204 not out, against the Hon. L. H. Tennyson's team at Kingston.

MILLER, NEVILLE, who died on March 3, aged 92, was a notable figure in London club cricket. He was a member of Streatham for 74 years, being captain for 26 and President for over 30. He was also a President of the Club Cricket Conference. During his 42 years as player for Streatham he scored 36,182 runs, average 48, hit 88 hundreds and took 1,518 wickets, average 15. Altogether he hit 96 hundreds, including 124 against Sussex at Brighton in 1899 on his debut in first-class cricket for Surrey when in an emergency he deputised for Tom Hayward. He also appeared in the same season for Surrey when, by 104 runs, they inflicted upon W. L. Murdoch's Australians one of the three defeats they suffered in 35 fixtures. Miller learnt his cricket at Dulwich College and was in the XI from 1890 to 1892. He served with the Imperial Yeomanry in the South African War when he was wounded and in the First World War he gained the M.C. as a Major in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. In the Second World War, Miller, who never married, was an active member of the Home Guard in Streatham, where he resided.

NAYUDU, COLONEL COTTARI KANYAIYA, who died at Indore on November 14, aged 72, captained India in their First Test Match with England. That was at Lord's in 1932 when, despite a painful hand injury received when fielding, Nayudu made top score, 40, in the first innings. With six centuries, the highest of which was 162 from the Warwickshire bowling, he headed the batting averages for all matches with 37.59 and took 79 wickets. He also played in three Tests against England in 1933-34 and three in the tour of 1936, when he again exceeded 1,000 runs and dismissed 51 batsmen in first-class fixtures.

As a small boy he played for the Hislop Collegiate High School, Nagpur, whom he captained, and while still at school appeared for Modi, of which club he also became captain. In 1926-27 at Bombay, he gained prominence by hitting 153 (including eleven 6's and thirteen 4's) out of 187 in just over a hundred minutes for Hindus against A. E. R. Gilligan's M.C.C. team. Though never on the winning side in a Test match, he helped Vizianagram to inflict by 14 runs the only defeat of the tour upon D. R. Jardine's powerful M.C.C. side in 1933-34, taking four wickets for 21 runs in the second innings.

Tall and well proportioned, Nayudu was specially strong in driving, bowled accurately at slow-medium pace and was a fine fielder. He also shone at hockey and Association football.

PALMER, HAROLD JAMES, who died on February 12, aged 76, played for Essex from 1924 to 1932 as an amateur leg-break bowler above average pace for his type. In all first-class cricket, he took 160 wickets at a cost of 25.70 runs apiece. One of his best performances was the dismissal of five Australian batsmen for 40 runs in the first innings at Leyton in 1930. He also played for M.C.C. and Incogniti.

PEDLEY, GEORGE, who died on July 18, aged 51, was a member of the Longton C.C. team who won the North Staffordshire and District League Championship in 1937, 1950, 1951 1955 and 1956. He appeared several times for Staffordshire, whom he served as coach for a number of years.

POGSON, REX, who died at his home at Lytham St. Annes on April 23, aged 61, compiled An Index to Wisden 1864-1943 which was published in August, 1944. His hobby was cricket writing; he was an authority on county and league cricket in Lancashire.

PROUD, ERNEST BARTON, who died on June 15, aged 87, did not find a place in the XI while at Charterhouse, but assisted Durham from 1906 till just after the First World War. He headed the county batting averages in 1908 with 316 runs, average 35.12. He gained three England caps in Amateur Association football Internationals in 1907 and 1908. His son, Roland, who died in 1961, was an Oxford cricket Blue in 1939.

RATCLIFFE, ALAN, who died in Toronto on August 21, aged 58, held the record for the highest score by any batsman in the University match--for one day. Finding inclusion in the Cambridge eleven of 1931 when J. G. W. Davies sprained an ankle, Ratcliffe opened the innings with a partnership of 149 with G. D. Kemp-Welch, his captain, and went on to reach 201. This exceeded by 29 the previous best innings on the big occasion--172 not out by J. F. Marsh, also for Cambridge, 27 years earlier. Next day, however, the Nawab of Pataudi--father of the present captain of India--wrested the record from Ratcliffe with 238 not out and Oxford won the match by eight wickets. Ratcliffe was in the XI at Rydal before going to University, where he got a Blue from 1930 to 1932. In the last season, he hit his second century, 124, against Oxford. He turned out for Surrey in two matches in 1933 and afterwards played for Denbighshire and Buckinghamshire.

REAY, GILBERT MARTIN, who died in hospital on January 31, aged 80, took 91 wickets for Surrey when available as a tall, well-built amateur fast medium bowler between 1913 and 1923. He received his county cap in 1920 when, in his best season, he dismissed 42 batsmen for 18.71 runs each, and he represented Gentlemen v. Players at The Oval in 1923. Gilly Reay achieved many notable feats for Beddington C.C., whom he assisted for 42 years, several as captain, from 1904. A tremendous hitter, he once struck five 6's in an innings of 127.

REMNANT, THE SECOND BARON (ROBERT JOHN FARQUHARSON REMNANT), who died on June 4, aged 72, did not gain his colours at Eton. From 1920 to 1933 he appeared for Berkshire and was selected several times for the Minor Counties' representative side.

ROBINSON, SIR FOSTER GOTCH, who died on October 31, aged 87, captained Gloucestershire from 1919 to 1923, his best season being that of 1920, when he scored 798 runs, including two centuries, average 25.74. He later became a vice-president for the county. A capital wicket-keeper, he was in the Clifton XI from 1895 to 1900, but did not get a Blue at Oxford. For ten years from 1912 he captained Clifton C.C. A member of the Jockey Club, he was a well-known owner-breeder.

ROGERS, LIEUT.-COL. FRANCIS GALPINE, who died on July 28, aged 70, played for Gloucestershire between 1924 and 1928. When in his first season he hit 662 runs for the county. Wisden said of him that he played in such fine style that one may safely put him down as a far better batsman than a modest average of just under 19 would suggest. In the same summer he hit a splendid 154 against the Navy for the Army, for whom he was a celebrated forcing batsman. Unfortunately he could spare little time for county cricket afterwards. He also appeared for M.C.C. and the Free Foresters.

ROLL, HARRY T., who died on May 25, aged 62, played for Warwickshire against the New Zealanders in 1927. At one time on the ground staff at Lord's, he met with considerable success as a batsman in club cricket for Feltham and Ashford ( Middlesex).

SHELMERDINE, GEORGE OWEN, who died on July 31, aged 67, captained Cheltenham in 1917 when, as in the previous season, he headed the batting averages besides being an effective bowler. Gaining a Blue at Cambridge in 1922, he helped in victory by an innings and 100 runs over Oxford and from 1919 to 1925 assisted Lancashire. Jo Shelmerdine's one first-class century was a brilliant affair. Against Kent at Maidstone in 1921, he hit 105, including five 6's and ten 4's, mainly drives, before being stumped. He later served for many years on the Lancashire Committee and was President at the time of his death. He acted as chairman of several sub-committees at Lord's and was chairman of the Committee governing the Gillette Cup competition since its inception. Also chairman of the Forty Club.

SIMPSON, WILLIAM FREDERICK, who died on April 18, aged 52, was on the list of first-class umpires in 1966, having stood in Minor Counties' matches for 14 years. While a member of the M.C.C. Staff, he appeared in games against the Universities, played for Middlesex Second XI and was twelfth man for the Championship side on a number of occasions. He also coached at the R.A.F. College, Cranwell.

SMITH, THOMAS PETER BROMLY, who died in France a1s a result of a brain haemorrhage following a fall while on holiday on August 4, aged 58, played with distinction as a professional all-rounder for Essex from 1929 to 1951. In that time he made 10,170 runs, average 17.98, and took 1,697 wickets--more than any other Essex bowler--for 26.63 runs each. A capital leg-break and googly exponent, he never lost his length even when at times receiving heavy punishment, as when H. T. Bartlett hit him for 28 in an over in the Gentlemen v. Players match at Lord's in 1938.

In 1933, Peter Smith arrived at The Oval prepared to play for England against the West Indies, only to learn that the telegram informing him of his choice had been sent by a hoaxer. Thirteen years later he did play for his country, against India on the Surrey ground, and he also took part in two Tests with Australia and one with New Zealand when a member of W. R. Hammond's M.C.C. team in 1946-47. Though meeting with little success generally on that tour, he did achieve one notable feat, for his nine wickets for 121 against New South Wales at Sydney is still the best innings-analysis by any M.C.C. bowler in Australia. On three other occasions he dismissed nine batsmen in an innings--for 97 runs against Middlesex at Colchester in 1947, in which game he returned match-figures of 16 for 215, for 117 v. Nottinghamshire at Southend and 108 v. Kent at Maidstone, both in 1948.

The summer of 1947 was a memorable one for Smith. In scoring 1,063 runs, average 23.66, and taking 172 wickets at 27.13 apiece, he completed the double for the only time in his career. Furthermore, he hit 163--the best of his eight centuries--against Derbyshire at Chesterfield, the highest first-class innings in history by a batsman going in at No. 11, he and F. H. Vigar (114 not out) putting on 218 for the last wicket, which remains a record for Essex. Smith's total of wickets that year is also the largest by an Essex bowler in one season.

SOMERVELL, ROBERT COOKE, who died on January 8 at Auckland, aged 74, played for Auckland from 1912 to 1922. He toured Australia with the New Zealand team of 1913-14.

STORER, HARRY, who died in a Derby hospital on September 1, aged 65 played as a professional for Derbyshire from 1920 to 1936. A nephew of W. Storer, who kept wicket for England against Australia in six Test matches between 1897 and 1899, he scored in first-class cricket 13,485 runs, average 28.44, took with medium-pace bowling 221 wickets at 34.56 runs each and held 208 catches. The highest of his 18 centuries was 232 against Essex at Derby in 1933, though his most successful season as a run-getter was that of 1929 when, also against Essex at Derby, he hit 209, scored 119 and 100 from the Sussex bowling on the same ground and altogether reached three figures four times in putting together an aggregate of 1,652 at an average of 36.71.

In 1929 also, Storer and J. Bowden (120) hit 322 against Essex at Derby, which still stands as a record for the county's first wicket. Six times Storer exceeded 1,000 runs in a summer, performing the feat in four successive seasons from 1928 to 1931. As a bowler, he took three wickets in four balls against Northamptonshire at Chesterfield in 1922 when, in dismissing seven batsmen in 15 overs for 27 runs, he played a leading part in a Derbyshire victory by 53 runs. He helped his county win the Championship for the first and only time in 1936, his last season.

As an Association footballer, he played at wing-half for Derby County, Grimsby Town and Burnley and was capped for England against France in 1924 and Ireland in 1928. He later managed Coventry City (twice), Birmingham City and Derby County before retiring in 1962.

SUMMERS, FRANK T., who died on October 27, aged 80, kept wicket for Worcestershire on a number of occasions between 1923 and 1928. He helped in the dismissal of 71 batsmen. In one match for his club, Astwood Bank, he disposed of the first five wickets behind the stumps and then removed his pads and bowled the remaining five batsmen.

TEDDER, LORD, MARSHAL OF THE ROYAL AIR FORCE, who died on June 3, aged 76, was President of Surrey C.C.C. from 1953 to 1958.

TENBY, THE FIRST VISCOUNT (MAJOR GWILYM LLOYD-GEORGE), who died on February 14, aged 73, was in the Eastbourne College XI of 1913 as an all-rounder. He was the son of Earl Llyod George.

THOMAS, RICHARD P., who died in March, aged 72, gained a cap as an all-rounder for Oxfordshire and in eleven years with the county never missed a game. He was a member of the team who, for the first and only time, won the Minor Counties' Championship in 1929, when they beat Buckinghamshire by ten wickets in the Challenge Match. He also played Association football for Oxford City.

TILLARD, LIEUT.-COL, ELLIOT DOWELL, who died on February 19, aged 86, played in seven matches for Somerset in 1912. In his first game he scored 39 and 29 against Gloucestershire at Taunton, helping in victory by three wickets.

TODD, LESLIE JOHN, a splendid left-handed all-rounder, who played for Kent between 1927 and 1950, died on August 20, aged 60. He had been in ill health for some time. A very good batsman with a sound and attractive style, he scored 20,087 runs, average 31.73 and hit 38 centuries with a top score of 174. As a bowler, he captured 572 wickets, average 27.76. In 1936 he achieved the double, scoring 1,320 runs and taking 103 wickets. Only M. S. Nichols of Essex also managed the double that year.

In his early days a slow left-arm bowler, Todd had only moderate success, but from the time he changed his style in 1933 to medium, with pronounced in-swing, he became a far different proposition. In the first season with his new method, he took 79 wickets, average 24.16 and the following year did even better.

He also altered his batting position. For the first six years of his career, Todd was generally on the fringe of the side, but 1933 saw the big advance and he became one of the mainstays of Kent. Towards the end of that season he changed from the middle order to opening batsman, but did not continue there.

Todd's all-round ability attracted the notice of the selectors and he was chosen for the Test Trial at Lord's in 1937, but he did not do himself justice and with many fine players around at that time he never reached Test status.

With Kent in difficulties over opening batsmen after the war, Todd started to go in first again, this time with considerable success, and in 1946 he headed the county averages with 1,864 runs, average 44.33, and the following season, his benefit year, scored 2,000 runs in Championship games alone. He did not do a great deal of bowling after 1947, but before then he frequently opened both the batting and bowling for Kent.

He retired in mid-season in 1950, probably because of increasing eye trouble, which needed an operation in 1951. Nine years earlier he had undergone two eye operations, but recovered well. He had been in some difficulty after being struck between the eyes when trying to hook a ball from Harold Larwood in 1930.

For a short period Todd went on the list of first-class umpires, but gave this up to go into business. During the war he served in the R.A.F.

A fine all-round sportsman, Todd represented England at table tennis and played amateur soccer for Dulwich Hamlet. He was a distinct personality in the game and had a keen sense of humour. Todd was born at Catford on June 19, 1907.

TUNNICLIFFE, GILBERT, who died on July 17, aged 73, served Gloucestershire as secretary from 1922 to 1935. He was son of John Tunnicliffe, whose opening partnership of 554 with J. T. Brown against Derbyshire at Chesterfield in 1898 stood as a world record for 34 years till another Yorkshire pair, P. Holmes and H. Sutcliffe, beat it by one run at the expense of Essex at Leyton in 1932.

TURNER, RICHARD ERNEST, who died in hospital on March 16, aged 80, played intermittently as a professional for Worcestershire from 1909 to 1922. Of Surrey birth, he qualified by residence. After leaving the county, he played and coached for Green Point C.C. in South Africa.

VIDLER, JOHN LIONEL SYMONDS, who died on October 15, aged 77, was a splendid all-round sportsman. He got his Blue for Oxford in 1910, 1911 and 1912; narrowly missed a Blue at Association football and represented the University at Golf. In the Repton XI for three years, he headed the bowling averages with 38 wickets, taken at medium pace, for 8.21 runs each in 1907 and finished at the head of the batting figures in 1909. He appeared occasionally for Sussex between 1910 and 1919 and later for Oxfordshire. He later became celebrated as Governor first of Portland and then of Maidstone Prison.

WALLACE, FREDERICK, who died on September 3, aged 82, was President of Flintshire C.C., with whom he had been associated for 65 years.

WATTS, CAPT. FRANCIS MAPLETON IRONMONGER, who died in January, aged 72, played for Devon as an amateur batsman for 17 years, heading the averages in 1928. A keen sportsman, he was a founder member of South Devon Hockey Club and vice-president of the Western Counties and Devon Hockey Associations and had been president of Stover Golf Club.

WILKINSON, JOHN, who while acting as scorer for Warwickshire, collapsed and died during the luncheon interval of the match with Scotland at Edgbaston on August 3, aged 75, played in one match as an amateur for Worcestershire in 1927 against Lancashire at Dudley. He had been seriously ill during the winter. Despite his death, the match continued with the Warkwickshire and Scottish Union flags at half mast. Mr. Leslie Deakins, the county Secretary, said: We feel sure it would have been Jack's wish for the game to go on.

WORRELL, SIR FRANK MAGLINNE, died March 13. (See special memoir in feature section.)


CRANKSHAW, SIR ERIC NORMAN SPENCER, who died on June 24, aged 80, distinguished himself by hitting 100 as opening batsman against Harrow in his only year in the XI at Eton, 1903. He played in one match for Gloucestershire, against Surrey at Bristol in 1909.

CURTIS, MAJOR TIMOTHY HUBERT WILLIAM, who died on June 11, aged 83, did not get his colours while at Harrow, but he appeared in one match for Sussex in 1912.


PIGOT, DAVID RICHARD, who died in August, aged 65, played frequently for Ireland between 1922 and 1939. Educated at Mount St. Benedict, Gorey and Dublin University, he was a solid right-handed batsman and occasional medium-pace bowler. He played most of his cricket for Phoenix C.C. A fine all-round sportsman, he also played Rugby football for Lansdowne and hockey for Three Rock Rovers. He was in international bridge played and was a delegate to the European Bridge League for nearly 20 years. His son, D. R. Pigot, junior, has also played cricket for Ireland.

© John Wisden & Co