Obituaries in 1985

ANSTRUTHER-GOUGH-CALTHORPE, SIR RICHARD HAMILTON, BT, who died at Elvetham, Hampshire, on February 7, 1985, aged 76, was in the Harrow XI in 1927 and headed the batting averages. A fine rackets player, who later won the Army Singles Championship six times, he was a typical rackets player type of bat, a good hitter of the ball with attractive strokes but radically unsound. He was President of Warwickshire from 1976 to 1980.

BARBER, ALAN THEODORE, who died at his home at Wokingham on March 10, 1985, at the age of 79, after several years of crippling illness, will be remembered by his contemporaries as a very good captain of Yorkshire and a gifted and versatile games-player. In all his games he was a fine competitor: the more critical the situation the better he played, and it was this determination, combined with a wonderful vitality and zest for life, which enabled him to instil into a side of tough Yorkshire professionals a discipline which had been lacking under some of his recent predecessors and yet to win at the same time not only their respect, but also their affection.

He captained Oxford at both cricket and soccer and in his last year won a place in the golf side - a tribute rather to his reputation as a fighter than to his technical skill. He was a prominent Corinthian footballer, twice won the Kinnaird Cup, the championship of Eton Fives, and was for years President of the Eton Fives Association. He had also been President of the Oxford Harlequins and was long an important member of the Old Salopians golf team in the Halford Hewitt.

Coming up to Oxford from Shrewsbury in 1926 after a two-year struggle with the examiners he made a century in the Freshmen's match but had to wait till the tour before he got a game for the'Varsity. Primarily a defensive and on-side player, he lacked the fluent strokes which were then regarded as the hallmark of an Oxford batsman. An innings of 54 in a crisis at Chelmsford won him his Blue and fortunate it was for Oxford that it did so. Left at Lord's to get 379 to beat Cambridge, they had two wickets down for 0 and Barber himself had been missed when his captain, E. R. T. Holmes, came in to join him. Together they added 183 in two hours, thirty-five minutes and, as long as they were together, Oxford still had distinct chance. However, Holmes was out having made a glorious hundred, Barber followed shortly afterwards for 62, and the innings folded. After retaining his place in 1928 and helping in an opening stand of 66 at Lord's he was appointed captain for 1929, in breach of the tradition by which the captain was normally the previous year's secretary. He proved an excellent choice and in the course of the season made the highest score of his first-class career, 119 against Nottinghamshire in The Parks, which took him only two and three-quarter hours, a sign that he was acquiring more ways of scoring. Later he played for Yorkshire, and against a strong England XI at Sheffield, after Percy Holmes had been out for 0, made 100 and with Oldroyd put on 204 for the second wicket.

In 1930 came the captaincy of Yorkshire. He was perhaps the first captain since Lord Hawke was in his prime some 30 years before who was worth his place as a player. Though he was not a heavy scorer, his defence was useful at a crisis and in the field he was fully up to the county's high standard. In his two years in the side he scored 1,050 runs with an average of 20.58. At the end of the season he had to choose between a long-term job captaining and administering Yorkshire and career as a preparatory school master. Happily for the boys who were under his care at Ludgrove School, Wokingham, in the next 43 years, he chose the latter.

Herbert Sutcliffe's autobiography, For England and Yorkshire, contained the following tribute: A. T. Barber, who captained Yorkshire for one season - 1930- was a young man with a natural aptitude for leadership .... I shall always have the keenest admiration for the manner in which he tackled his job .... When he was compelled to leave county cricket he was sorry, but his regret was no greater than that of the members of the Yorkshire side, for they knew they had lost a first-class captain.... Barber had method in every move he made, he had personality, he earned the respect and comradeship of every member of the side. In 70 first-class matches, 42 of them for Yorkshire, he scored 2,261 runs at an average of 23.30.

BEESTON, NORMAN CHARLES, who died in Brisbane in February 1985, aged 84, was a regular member of the Queensland side in 1926-27, their first season of Sheffield Shied cricket. In seven matches he scored 187 runs.

BELL, ALEXANDER JOHN ( SANDY), who played sixteen times for South Africa between 1929 and 1935, died in Cape Town on August 2, 1985, aged 79. In all but two of his Tests he opened the bowling, sometimes working up a good pace, bringing the ball down from a considerable height and capable of late in-swing. He toured England twice, in 1929 and 1935, and took 23 wickets in five Tests in Australia in 1931-32, claiming five wickets in an innings in successive Test matches at Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide. He had his best Test figures in his first Test match, at Lord's when he took the last six wickets in England's first innings and finished with six for 99. In the same series he shared what remains the record tenth-wicket partnership for South Africa in Test cricket - 103 with H. G. Owen-Smith at Headingley. Though no batsman himself, Bell's share was 26. Altogether he took 48 Test wickets (32.65) and 228 first-class wickets (23.29) At Cape Town in 1929-30 he took thirteen for 61 for Western Province against Eastern Province.

BERGIN, BERNARD FRANCIS, who died in Dublin on June 17, 1985, aged 71, was a right-hand opening bat who played twice for Ireland against New Zealand in 1937, one of fifteen instances of a first-class match being begun and finished in a day. His scores of 12 and 4 were the second highest in each Irish innings. He was the brother of S. F. Bergin, one of Ireland's best-known cricketers, who died in 1969.

BERRY, LESLIE GEORGE (he was in fact christened George Leslie) died at Leicester on February 5, 1985, aged 78. An ideal example of what is meant by a good county cricketer, in 21 years of regular first-class cricket he took part in 610 matches, 606 of them for Leicestershire. He scored more runs for the county than any other player in its history, 30,143 with an average of 30.32, and made 45 centuries. He had a full range of strokes, the off drive and the pull being perhaps the most prominent, and a sound defence and for much of his career he opened the innings. Moreover his fielding could not be faulted: in his younger days he was usually on the boundary, later usually at mid-off, but he could in fact field anywhere. His admirers sometimes suggest that he was unlucky never to be picked for England or at least for the Players, and no-one will deny that, had he been so picked, he might well have made runs. The answer lies of course in the standard of English batting during his prime. Only twice did he average over 40 for a season: his successful competitors were scoring more heavily than that. In his best year, 1937, he scored 2,446 runs with an average of 52.04, and it is worth looking at the batting order for the Players at Lord's that year Hutton, Barnett, Hardstaff Hammond, Paynter, Compton, Ames, with James Langridge and Wellard to follow. Moreover Leyland, who was injured, was not playing. So Berry had to remain with the honourable record of being a great servant of Leicestershire.

Born at Dorking, but moving to Market Harborough when he was eight, he first appeared in 1924, but, though he immediately showed promise and got his 1,000 runs in his second season, it was not till 1928 that he made his first hundred, a magnificent 207 in three and a half hours against Worcestershire at Ashby de la Zouch. Two years later came the highest score of his career, 232 against Sussex at Leicester. His best years really commenced in 1932, when he scored 1,774 runs with an average of 38.56, and continued until after the war. He himself always remembered with particular pleasure the match with Nottinghamshire at Leicester in 1932, in which he made 72 and 75 not out against Larwood and Voce at their fastest. In the last innings Leicestershire needed 176 to win. Berry went in first and was still there when Corrall, the last man, came in with 22 wanted. Corrall defended magnificently and made 3 while Berry got the rest. He captained the county from 1946 to 1948 and in 1947, for the only time in his career, scored a hundred in each innings of a match, 165 and 111 not out against Essex at Clacton. As far on as 1949, when he was 43, he had one of the best seasons of his career, 1,853 runs with an average of 43.09. He finally retired at the end of 1951 and went to coach at Uppingham School, where he was such a success that he remained till 1979, when he was 73. He was also for many years a director of a sports shop in Leicester.

BHAGWATSINHJI, HH THE MAHARANA OF MEHAR, who died in Udaipur on November 3, 1984, aged 57, captained Rajputana for five seasons. He made 797 runs in the Ranji Trophy with an average of 17.07 and a top score of 78 against Baroda in 1957-58.

BIRD, RONALD ERNEST, who died at Feckenham, near Redditch, on February 20, 1985, aged 69, played for Worcestershire from 1946 to 1954, captaining them in the last three seasons. Getting a regular place in his first year at the age of 31, he showed distinct promise, playing many useful innings, and next year, when he was available for only half the matches, made his first century, 105 against Sussex, which enabled his side to win in face of a total of 301. In 1948 he hardly played, but after that appeared regularly until his retirement in 1949 he got his 1000 runs and, while temporarily acting as captain, he played a notable innings of 116 in rather over four hours, which had much to do with Worcestershire beating Yorkshire for the first time since 1939. By far his best season was 1952, his first year as captain: he scored 1,591 runs with an average of 37 and made three hundreds, including the highest innings of his career, 158 not out in four and a half hours against Somerset at Taunton. A middle-order batsman, usually at number four, he was a determined player, capable of aggression or defence as the situation demanded. He was also a courageous fieldsman close to the wicket, usually at short leg, where he held some fine catches. In his whole career he scored 7,700 runs with an average of 26.53 and made seven centuries. After retiring from cricket he played squash and lawn tennis for the county.

BLUNDEN, SIR WILLIAM, 6TH BT, died at Castle Blunden on October 20, 1985, aged 66. He was not in the XI at Repton, but in 1971 revived Nor Shuler, the Irish I Zingari, which was flourishing in the 1930s but had lain dormant since the war.

BOSWELL, CECIL STANLEY REGINALD, died in a nursing home near Norwich on August 15, 1985, aged 74. He played for Essex from 1932 to 1937 and showed some promise as a slow right-arm spinner, but failed to fulfil expectations. He was also a useful bat; against Gloucestershire at Gloucester in 1934 he made 69 and helped Nichols to put on 134 for the eighth wicket. After leaving Essex he played from 1939 to 1955 for Norfolk, for whom he did valuable work.

BRENNAN, DONALD VINCENT, who died after a long illness on January 9, 1985, aged 64, played for Yorkshire from 1947 to 1953 and throughout that time was their regular wicket-keeper. So highly was he rated that in 1951 he was preferred to Evans, who was perfectly fit and well, for the last two Test matches against South Africa. Granted that Evans had been temporarily below his best, that is an astonishing tribute, especially as in batting Evans was much the better of the two. Evans potentially a fine batsman, who needed the challenge of a Test to bring out his best form: Brennan, whose average for his career was 10.49 and who never reached 50 in a county match, could do little more than stay in doggedly in a crisis. In fact, in his first Test he did just that: he stayed in three-quarters of an hour for 16, helping Bailey, who was playing a fighting innings, to put on 32, but the runs were less important than the time and, had Brennan been out quickly, England's position would have been precarious.

Apart from these matches, his representative cricket was confined to the MCC tour of India in 1951-52. He was particularly expert at standing up to the spinners: in the Yorkshire sides at that time he had plenty of opportunities with Wardle, Appleyard and Leadbeater, and he seldom missed a chance of stumping. In his first-class career he caught 316 batsmen and stumped 115. Originally in the XI at Downside, he graduated to the county side through the Bradford League, and after the claims of the family textile business had forced him to retire early, he did valuable work on the Yorkshire committee, feeling as deeply as anyone the disputes which came so constantly as to unsettle the well-being of the county.

BROCKWAY, WALTER CHARLES, died in Harare, Zimbabwe, on June 15, 1985, aged 78. Born at Blandford, he played for Dorset before the war and, after a spell on the Hampshire staff, for Berkshire after it, being then groundsman and coach to the Reading Cricket Club. Emigrating to South Africa, he made one appearance for Eastern Province in 1951 and then moved to Rhodesia, where he did invaluable work for the rest of his life, especially in coaching African schoolboys.

BRYAN, JOHN LINDSAY, who died at Eastbourne after a few days' illness on April 23, 1985, aged 88, was the oldest living Kent cricketer and the sole survivor both of the famous Cambridge XI of 1921 and of the MCC side to Australia in 1924-25. He was the eldest of three brothers who played with success for Kent, all three appearing on one occasion in the same match: all were left-handed bats and right-arm bowlers. A fourth brother played for Kent II.

Jack Bryan was captain of Rugby in 1914 and in August appeared for Kent II. In August 1919, after more than four years on active service, he played for the county in their last three matches. Going up to Cambridge, he made 83 in the Freshmen's match in 1920 and followed it with 97 for Perambulators against Etceteras, but so fierce was the competition that even after this he did not get a single game for the University. However, playing pretty regularly for Kent after term, he came third in their batting averages and made his first hundred for them, 125 against Worcestershire. In 1921 he scored 126 in the Seniors' match and throughout the season was one of the university's opening pair, finishing with the notable record of 935 runs and an average of 55. His highest score was 231 against Surrey at The Oval and his 62 against Oxford at Lord's was described by Sir Pelham Warner as the finest innings in the match. For Kent in the vacation he scored 920 runs with an average of 48. This was his only full season's first-class cricket: becoming a schoolmaster, he was never, after that, available for more than an occasional match before the end of July. However, he continued to appear for Kent in the holiday until 1932 and so highly was he regarded that he was thrice picked for the Gentlemen at Lord's before his first-class season had started, nor had it started in 1924 when he was picked for Australia. That tour was something of a disappointment for him. When he got a chance, he batted well enough and the Australians formed a high opinion of him, but with Hobbs and Sutcliffe to open, and Sandham and Whysall also in the side, there was no chance for him at numbers one or two and he was never in the running for a Test place.

He was, in fact, a model opening bat. Less vulnerable outside the off stump than most lefthanders, he watched the ball carefully and regarded it as his first object to lay a good foundation to the innings: once this was safely achieved, he could score as fast as most people. Against Hampshire at Canterbury in 1923 Kent soon after the start were 20 for three. Bryan was naturally and properly cautious and took two hours to reach 50: when he was out he had made 236 out of 345 in four and three-quarter hours. One tremendous drive swerved round the right-hand end of the screen, through an open window into the pavilion dining-room, struck the edge of the table, flew up into the picture of Canterbury Week 1877, which still bears the scar, and was retrieved with a piece of glass embedded in it. It was his second 200 in consecutive matches: earlier that week he had scored 216 for the Butterflies against the Royal Artillery at Woolwich.

So sound was his method that he seemed to need little practice to be at his best. In 1925 his first match was against Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge: Kent needed 327 to win and made them in four and a half hours, Bryan's share being 172 not out. He was a particularly fierce punisher of anything over-pitched on the leg or middle-and-leg, and equally severe on anything short of a length. On the off he relied mainly on a drive, usually played square and often going to third man. He never cut. Apart from his batting, he was a beautiful field, especially in the covers and the outfield, and bowled slow leg-breaks and googlies which, if their length was uncertain, spun so sharply that they might always get a needed wicket. In his one' Varsity match, given three overs, he dismissed two good batsmen, L. P. Hedges and W. G. Lowndes, both with full pitches. Against Middlesex at Canterbury in 1923, he and his brother, G. J., opened together in Kent's second innings and put on 96 in a sensational match which Kent lost after a first innings of 445. Going on to Weston-super-Mare, they both made 0 in the first innings and so were deliberately sent in to bustle in the second: their partnership produced 60. Though both were accredited openers, the story suggests a light-hearted approach.

Jack Bryan's friends will remember him as a potentially great cricketer and a great schoolmaster. He gave some 60 years to St Andrew's School, Eastbourne, continuing to work actively on its behalf long after his official retirement. In all first-class cricket he scored 8,702 runs with an average of 36.25 and made seventeen centuries.

CORNFORD, JAMES HENRY (JIM), died in Harare, Zimbabwe, on June 17, 1985, aged 73. Born at Crowborough, he had a few trials for Sussex without success in 1931 and 1932, but in 1933 he jumped right to the front with 88 wickets at 19.77. With an action clearly modelled on Tate', he bowled fast-medium, swinging the ball away, while at times making it come back very quickly off the pitch, and in his early seasons he was regarded as possibly a future England bowler. But he had neither the exceptional physique nor the exceptional talents of Tate. Moreover, with Tate's retirement the Sussex bowling was much weakened, and Cornford, always a whole-hearted trier, was sadly overbowled and was besides troubled by injuries. He never achieved the position that had been hoped and was often expensive, but he remained an invaluable county bowler. As far on as 1949, when he was 37, he had one of his best seasons, taking 89 wickets at 25.52. At Rushden that year he went to bed on Saturday night, having taken all the nine Northamptonshire wickets to have fallen: on the Monday morning George Cox had the tenth caught at the wicket. At the end of 1952 he retired to coach in Southern Rhodesia. He was a poor bat, whose highest score for Sussex was only 34, but by sheer perseverance he made himself into an adequate field. In his career of sixteen seasons he took 1,019 wickets at 26.49 and modern bowlers may note, with envy and, perhaps, with some feeling of guilt, that in all that time he is reputed not to have bowled a single no-ball.

COX, GEORGE, who died at Burgess Hill on march 30, 1985, aged 73, was a player who will be remembered with affection long after some who occupy a bigger space in the records have been forgotten. Though cricket was his profession, to him it was always a game, a game to be won certainly and, if not won, at least saved, but it was a game to be enjoyed: he enjoyed it himself and he did his best to make it enjoyable for the other players and the spectators. As a consequence, despite all the runs he scored he was more liable to bad patches than less adventurous batsmen and never achieved quite the aggregates and averages of those from whom England sides are usually selected. But to a county not lacking in solid batting he was invaluable. No match was ever lost until he was out in the second innings. Against Glamorgan at Hove in 1947 Sussex, set to get 376, were 40 for three; Cox made 205 out and they won by five wickets. At Hove in 1938 Yorkshire seemed set to win by an innings: Cox, coming in at 82 for four, reached 50 in 28 minutes and 100 out of 114 in an hour, failing by three minutes to make the fastest hundred of the season. He finally reached 142 and Yorkshire, left to get 70, had some anxious moments before winning by four wickets. Again in 1949, when Sussex went in at Headingley 339 down on the first innings, he and John Langridge added 326 unfinished for the fourth wicket and averted a disaster. Indeed, nothing shows better the quality of his batting than his constant success against Yorkshire- six of his 50 hundreds were made against them, including, besides the instances quoted, a glorious 198 in 200 minutes at Hove in 1939 in the last match before the war: and those were the days when D. R. Jardine, hearing a good batsman discussed, always asked, What is his record against Yorkshire? It entirely disposes of any notion that Cox was just a fine hitter of poor bowling.

In style he batted like an old-fashioned amateur, scoring largely in front of the wicket, and he was an especially fine off-driver. It took an Oxford freshman, who had been told by his friends that Cox was vulnerable to the half-volley, less than an over to realise that his leg had been pulled. He was beautifully built (he was also a center-forward, for Arsenal, Luton and Fulham) and was a glorious field at cover, with a weakness, which he shared with some other fine fields, for dropping now and then the simplest of chances. Though in the pre-war Sussex side he was not often allowed to bowl his slow floaters, as he deprecatingly called them, after the war, when the county's bowling was weaker than for 50 years, he became almost a regular bowler. His figures, as one would expect, do not suggest that he much alarmed the opposition, but at least he kept matters reasonably in hand and the decencies were observed.

His father, also George, had played for Sussex from 1895 to 1928 and was later for many years the county's coach. Young George played from 1931 to 1960, was coach from 1960 to 1964, playing for and frequently captaining the Second XI, and after that not only served on the committee but was active until the last in helping and encouraging young players. The only break in his involvement with Sussex was when, for four seasons after retiring from regular first-class cricket, he was professional at Winchester, and even then he would play the odd match for the county in the holidays. The playing careers of father and son thus covered (with a break of two years) 65 years, and their connection with the county's cricket was 90 years unbroken.

At the outset of young George's career he was a bit slow to fulfil his obvious promise: his first hundred did not come until 1935 and it was 1937 before he got a regular place. Even then he struck such a bad patch in 1938 that he had to be relegated to the Second XI, but he regained his place and finished in a blaze of glory. From then on his position was never in doubt. In 1939 he scored 414 runs in two days. At Kettering, where Sussex scored 428 for five to beat Northamptonshire, he made 232, putting on 219 with Langridge in two hours. Next day against Lancashire at Hove he made 182 and added 266 with James Langridge. After the war he batted as well as ever: indeed he had become a trifle sounder in defence, and the best season of his career was 1950 when, at 39, he scored 2,369 runs with an average of 49.35. His benefit in 1951 brought him £6,620, at that time a Sussex record. In his first-class career he scored 22,912 runs with an average of 32.96, his highest score being 234 not out against the Indians at Hove in 1946. A man of much charm and humour, he was in great demand as a speaker and was indeed widely loved.

CRAIG, REGINALD JACK, who died on April 17, 1985, aged 68, opened the batting for South Australia immediately after the Second World War, making 1,667 runs at an average of 30.49. Included in his four centuries was one against Hammond's MCC team in 1946-47 (111) and another of 100 against the Indians in the following year. He became a successful coach in Adelaide, and was instrumental in both Sobers and Barry Richards playing Sheffield Shield cricket for South Australia.

CROSS, ERIC PERCIVAL, who died at Birmingham on February 27, 1985, aged 88, kept wicket for Warwickshire in six matches in 1921 and one in 1923. He created a favourable impression, but, with Tiger Smith available, his opportunities were naturally limited. Between 1928 and 1934 he played frequently for Staffordshire. He had been in the XI at Denstone in 1912 and 1913.

CROTHERS, GEORGE MARCUS, who died at Lisburn, Co. Antrim, on February 6, 1982, was one of the best Irish wicket-keepers, representing his country nineteen times between 1931 and 1948, catching twelve and stumping ten. Educated at Royal Belfast Academical Institution, and unrelated to the more recent Irish bat, J. G. Crothers, he captained Ireland in his last match (against Yorkshire in Belfast) and later served two terms as a selector.

CULLEN, LEONARD, who died in South Africa on September 15, 1984, aged 69, was born in Johannesburg and was coached at St Andrew's College, Bloemfontein, by Len Bates of Warwickshire, who recommended him to Nothamptonshire. A good natural all-round games-player, quick on his feet he might have made the grade as a batsman had he concentrated on cricket, but his energies were too much divided: he was a particularly good swimmer. In eighteen matches for the county in 1934 and 1935 he made only 253 runs and his five wickets cost 59.09 runs each. His highest score was 40 against Worcestershire in 1934. His career was virtually ended by an extraordinary accident. Playing against Glamorgan at Llanelli in 1935, he fell out of a window in his hotel while walking in his sleep. Even this did not wake him, and when he came to he was some way from the hotel and had to ask his way back. His injuries kept him out of the side for some weeks and after one more appearance he returned to South Africa.

CUNNINGHAM, WILLIAM HENRY RANGER, who died in Christchurch on November 29, 1984, aged 84, was a survivor of the first New Zealand side to tour England, in 1927, two and a half years before New Zealand played their first official Test match. A bowler of fast-medium pace, he took 72 wickets for Canterbury and 22 for New Zealand before they were granted Test status. Most of the latter were on a tour to Australia in 1925-26. His best bowling figures were six for 33 for Canterbury against Auckland in 1924-25. He was also a good rugby league player. His enthusiasm for cricket never wavered, even after his sight had gone.

CUTMORE, JAMES ALBERT, who died at Brentwood on November 30, 1985, aged 86, was to be numbered among the stalwarts at the core of county cricket from 1925 to 1935, although the game's highest honours did not come his way. He first played for Essex in 1924 and established himself the next season, when he began what became an annual habit of making 1,000 runs a year. This ended only when he suddenly lost his form in 1936 and retired. By then he had made 15,937 runs with an average of 28.61 and hit fifteen centuries. His highest score was 238 not out against Gloucestershire at Bristol in 1927, when he batted for seven and a quarter hours and hit 32 4s, mostly off drives and strokes through the covers. His name was most closely linked with that of Dudley Pope, who was his opening partner for five seasons until he died in a road accident at the end of the 1934 season. Pope was the quieter of the pair, Cutmore emphatically the number one, anxious to master the bowling, though when necessary he could and not infrequently did, fulfil a more stubborn role. The last season of his partnership with Pope was also Cutmore's best: he made 1,791 runs at an average of 41.65. Though he played only eight Championship matches in 1936 with poor results, he contributed largely to an Essex win against the touring Indian side. As the number seven batsman he scored 137, sharing an eighth wicket partnership of 214 with Peter Smith. Away from cricket Cutmore was well known as a singer.

DIBBS, ARTHUR HENRY ALEXANDER, who died on November 28, 1985, aged 66, was President of MCC in 1983-84, having previously been on the Finance Committee of the club. An enthusiastic school and club cricketer, he captained Whitgift Middle School in 1935 and, for some years, the Westminster Bank XI, for whom he played from 1936 to 1958, military service intervening. He was Deputy Chairman of the National Westminster Bank from 1971 to 1982 and joint Deputy Chairman of British Airways from 1981 to 1985.

DRUMMOND, DUNCAN WEIR, who died at Greenock on May 17, 1985, aged 62, played regularly for Scotland between 1951 and 1961 as an all rounder. He had a top score of 33 v MCC at Greenock in 1961 and his four for 73 against Worcestershire at Worcester in 1952 was his best analysis in a first-class match.

FRANKLIN, HENRY WILLIAM FERNEHOUGH, died in hospital on May 25, 1985, aged 83. Going up to Oxford after five years in the Christ's Hospital XI, he made 41 in the Freshmen's match in 1921 and took five for 16 in the second innings, but, though he had several games for the University and scored 53 against Middlesex, the champion county, he failed to get a Blue that year and in the next two years had only two games in all. Meanwhile in 1921 he had played for Surrey against Oxford at The Oval and later in that season had appeared regularly for Essex: but a batting average of 9 and a bowling average of 150 suggest that it must have been his beautiful and tireless fielding which kept him his place in a team several of whom were old enough to be his father. It was not until 1923 that he really did anything to justify the county's faith in him then, going in tenth against Middlesex at Leyton, he made 106 and with his captain, J. W. H. T. Douglas, put on 160 in a little over two hours, which not only saved the follow-on but secured an honourable draw. In 1924 he at last got his Blue, though his record was undistinguished. However, against Cambridge at Lord's his 29 not out was the second-highest score in an innings of 133.

He continued to play for Essex until 1931: being a schoolmaster, he was available only in the holidays, but, as so often happens, with years and experience he became an altogether sounder and more consistent batsman, who was constantly making useful scores besides picking up the odd wicket with some mild leg-breaks and enormously enlivening the fielding. Sometimes in these later years he captained the side. His outstanding performance was an Innings of 104 against Somerset at Knowle in 1928, described by no less a judge than R. C. Robertson-Glasgow- who was playing, as "one of the finest attacking innings I ever saw"

It included a 6 and seventeen 4s and even J. C. White, then in his prime, could not keep him quiet. A stylist, Franklin was quick on his feet and an especially good off-driver. He had in fact the gifts of the outstanding natural games-player. Though he had to wait for his rugger Blue until his fourth year, he played so well in the Varsity match that some critics rated him the best Oxford fullback since the legendary Strand-Jones more than twenty years earlier, and he later reached the final English trial, though he never got an international. A hockey Blue he missed only through illness. Apart from his games he was a good scholar, a talented actor and musician, and a man of wit and humour. From 1940 to 1962 he was Headmaster of Epsom College, having taught previously at Rugby and Radley. In all first class cricket he made 2,212 runs with an average of 14.23 and took 46 wickets at 43.98.

GENDERS, WILLIAM ROY, who died at Worthing on September 28, 1985, aged 72, played three times for Derbyshire in 1946, five times for Worcestershire over the next two seasons, and twice for Somerset in 1949. His top score of 55 not out was made for Worcestershire against Derbyshire at Chesterfield. He wrote a short history of the Worcestershire County Cricket Club and another entitled League Cricket in England.

GRAHAM, LEONARD, who died on December 21, 1962, aged 61, played three times for Essex in 1926. He was one of three cricketers to have played football for Millwall, the others being A. S. Moult and C. P. McGahey. A stylish left-half, he was capped for England against Scotland and Wales in 1925.

HALES, LLOYD ARCHIBALD, died on September 12, 1984, aged 63. A good bat and useful medium-paced bowler, he was a prominent member of the Leicester Cricket Club and in 1947 appeared twice for the county. In his second match, against Warwickshire at Leicester, he played a valuable innings of 62: he and Chapman, coming together when six wickets were down for 143, added 126 and so had a big part in their side's victory.

HAMMOND, HERBERT EDWARD (JIM),died at his home at Brighton on June 16, 1985, aged 77. He first appeared for Sussex in 1928, but the team was strong at that time and it was not till 1934 that he secured anything approaching a regular place, though in 1930 he had a good trial and no less judges than A. C. MacLaren and Ranji, who saw him bowling at Eastbourne, were impressed by his possibilities. In 1934 he made 609 runs with an average of 24.36 and took 43 wickets at 28.51: more important, on a fast pitch against Surrey at The Oval he took eight for 76, perhaps the best performance of his career. In 1936 he made his only century, 103 not out at Edgbaston in a match ruined by rain: he and Jim Parks engaged in an unfinished opening stand of 214. His wickets, too, were less expensive that year (he had been unable to play until June): helped by an analysis of seven for 40 against Oxford. 59 wickets cost him only 20.77 each. By contrast, in 1937 when, with 91 wickets, he was the side's leading bowler, they cost 26.10. He continued as a fairly regular player until the war, though he sometimes missed matches through injury or had to stand down to make room for an occasional amateur. He retired after 1946.

Never in the top flight, he was none the less a useful county player, an imperturbable batsman, who often acted as an opener with some success if no-one better was available. A fast-medium bowler who did not perhaps attack the batsman as much as he might have done, but did valuable service at a time when the bowling resources were limited, and a reliable slip. Above all, whether batting, bowling or fielding, he put his whole heart into it and was always doing his best. From 1947 to 1961 he coached at Cheltenham College and then, after three seasons on the first-class umpires' list, went as professional to Brighton College, where he continued to umpire school matches even after his retirement. He was a well-known footballer: after getting an amateur international cap while playing for Lewes, he played for many years as a professional for Fulham. In all matches for Sussex he scored 4,251 runs with an average of 18.72 and took 428 wickets at 28.73.

HILL, BARRINGTON JULIAN WARREN, died at Sandwich on August 7, 1985, after long illness, aged 70. A medium-pace right-arm bowler and a useful bat, he was captain of the XI at St Lawrence College and went up to Christ Church, where he had several trials for the University but did not get a Blue. Between 1935 and the war he did valuable work with Kent II. He was author of a short history of cricket and collaborated with R L. Arrowsmith in The history of I Zingari. He was for many years a master at Eton.

HOPKINS, VICTOR, who died at his native place, Dumbleton, Gloucestershire, on August 6, 1984, aged 73, came straight from village cricket to keep wicket for the county in May 1934. At first he was an astonishing success and raised expectations that were not to be fulfilled. As the season went on he began to lose his confidence and in August was replaced by Dacre. In 1935 he kept in the early matches, but by then Harry Smith, who had been out of the side for three seasons owing to illness, was well enough to resume his place. At the end of the season Smith finally retired and in 1936 Hopkins again became the regular 'keeper. Part way through 1937 he broke a finger and, when he was fit to play again, did so as a batsman. It was virtually the end of his wicket-keeping. In 1938 F. A. Wilson of Middlesex had become qualified and thenceforward Hopkins had to rely purely on his batting. He could not secure a regular place, but played many useful innings and was at times employed to open. His highest score, 83 not out against Sussex at Worthing in 1939, turned an apparently certain defeat into a victory. After the war he played mainly for the Second XI, though his last appearance in the county side was not until 1948. Altogether he scored 2,608 runs with an average of 14.82, caught 138 batsmen and stumped 44.

HUGHES-HALLETT, LT-COL. NORTON MONTRESOR, who died on March 26, 1985, aged 89, was a tall, upstanding, attacking batsman who headed the Haileybury averages in 1913 and made 93 in 100 minutes against Cheltenham at Lord's. Later that summer he played three matches for Derbyshire with little success, but, playing three times for them again the next August, he scored 67 against Hampshire and 53 against Leicestershire. Unfortunately a severe wound in the Great War stopped him from appearing again for the county, though he did play a little first-class cricket in India.

HUNT, HUBERT, who died at Pill, near Bristol, on November 25, 1985, played for Somerset as an amateur in 1936. He was an off-break bowler who took seven for 49 against Derbyshire at Ilkeston, but in those days Wellard was beginning to switch from pace to spin when the need arose. Hunt had eleven matches for the county, unlike his brother, George, who made 233 appearances as a professional. He was a successful and popular club cricketer who took many wickets for Lodway. He also played for Cornwall.

ISMAIL, MOHAMMAD KASIM, who died in Colombo in his early seventies, was Secretary and Treasurer of the Ceylon Cricket Association from 1943 to 1947 and the first Secretary of the Board of Control for Cricket in Sri Lanka. He was also, at different times, chairman of the selectors for Ceylon and Sri Lanka, and manager of teams to South India, Pakistan and Malaysia.

JOHNSON, TYRELI FRANCIS, who died in Trinidad on April 5, 1985, at the age of 68, played one Test match for West Indies against England at The Oval in 1939, when with his first ball he caused Keeton to play on. He had also taken a wicket with his first ball of the tour, at Worcester. Very tall and thin, he bowled left-arm at a brisk medium pace and with appreciable in-swing. Of the sixteen first-class wickets he took on his one tour, those of Hutton and Oldfield also came in The Oval Test.

LAMBERT, HERBERT NORMAN, who died in New Plymouth on July 19, 1984, aged 84, made his first-class debut for Wellington against Canterbury when he was only seventeen and soon established himself as a valuable member of the Wellington side as a right-hand batsman and off-break bowler. In 1922-23 he made a good impression on A. C. MacLaren's MCC side scoring 66 and 63 against them at Wanganui and playing in the last two of the three representative matches. His one first-class century (107 in 149 minutes) was for Wellington against Otago at Dunedin in 1931-32, a match which Wellington needed to win, and did so, to take the Plunket Shield for the first time.

LAURIE, LT-COL. LAURENCE ERNEST, CBE, who died on August 21, 1985, aged 68, was a good natural games-player, who represented Northumberland from 1947 to 1958, making 3,909 runs with an average of 26.77. In his best season, 1953, his aggregate was 559 and his average 46.58. He captained the county from 1948 to 1958 and also captained the Minor Counties against the New Zealanders in 1958. A tall man and up-standing hitter, he had also played for the Army and been Chairman of the Scottish Sports Council.

LUSH, JOHN GRANTLEY, (GINTY), who died in Sydney on August 22, 1985, played for New South Wales as a forcing batsman and lively bowler from 1933 to 1947, coming close to Test selection when he had match figures of thirteen for 115 for the state against G. O. Allen MCC side at Sydney in 1936-37. "The MCC collapse against the fast-medium bowling of Lust was as complete as it was startling". said Wisden. He also played for Sir Julien Cahn's XI.

MACDONAGH, WILFRED, who died in Bangor, Co. Down, in 1983, aged 84, was for many years a mainstay of the Armagh club. A wicket-keeper and right-hand bat, he played twice for Ireland. In 1930- scoring 48 against Scotland, his only first-class match. Contrary to what has appeared in some recent record books, he was not an Irish hockey international.

MALIK, SARDAR HARDIT SINGH, CIF. OBE, died at Delhi in October, 1985, aged 90. Educated in England from the age of eight, he headed the batting averages at Eastbourne College and, going up to Balliol, attracted attention in the Freshmen's match in 1913 and in the Seniors' match in 1914 but did not have a game for the University. However, playing five matches for Sussex in August, 1914, he scored 71 against Leicestershire and 49 against Middlesex and showed himself fully up to first-class form. He was in fact playing for Sussex in the Canterbury Week when war was declared on August 4, and at the time of his death he was the last survivor of the Week before 1919. After gallant service in the Royal Flying Corps during the war, in which he was shot down and wounded, he returned to Oxford for a year in 1920, played a second time in the Varsity golf match and had a trial in the cricket side without success. For Sussex, however in the Horsham Week he played a brilliant innings of 106 against Leicestershire. He and Albert Reif put on 175 for the seventh wicket at a tremendous pace.

He played no county cricket after 1921, but his turbaned figure was for many years a familiar sight on English golf courses when the demands of a distinguished career in the Indian diplomatic service, where he was his country's first High Commissioner to Canada and later their Ambassador in Paris, allowed. A man of great charm, he was widely loved.

MANN, JAMES E. F., who died in Victoria on June 25, 1984, aged 80, went to Cambridge from Geelong Grammar School and won his Blue in 1924, when he came third in the University's batting averages with a top score of 114 against Sussex at Hove.

MARSHALL,JOHN NORMAN. who died at Worthing on March 24, 1985, aged 80, was author of the standard history of Sussex cricket- a book which is rich in anecdote, much of which will not be found elsewhere, and is one of the most readable of county histories: indeed deserves to be better known than it is. Another book, The Duke who was Cricket, a life of the second Duke of Richmond, is valuable for the use made of hitherto unpublished papers at Goodwood, which throw much light on early Sussex cricket. Besides these he wrote histories of Lord's, Headingley and Old Trafford. A journalist by profession and for a time editor of the Evening News, he made no claims to have been more than a humble player himself, but he was a great enthusiast.

MERCHANT, UDAYKANT MADHAVJI, who died in Bombay on February 7, 1985, following a stroke, aged 68, was the younger brother of Vijay Merchant, by whom he was somewhat overshadowed. He was, however, a considerable batsman in his own right, as is shown by a career batting average in first-class cricket of 55.78. He played in one unofficial "Test'', against a Commonwealth team in 1949-50. In the Ranji Trophy, for Bombay, he scored 1,651 runs (average 63.50)- including five centuries, two of them (143 and 156) in the same match against Maharashtra in 1948-49. His highest score was 217 for Bombay against Hyderabad in 1947-48, when he and M. N. Raiji added 360 for the fifth wicket. For the Cricket Club of India in 1948-49 he scored 134 against the touring West Indians and in his last year, 1946, he scored 132 in the Bombay Pentangular, for the Hindus against the Europeans.

MORGAN, AUBREY NIEL, CMG, died at his home in Washington, USA, where he had lived for over 50 years, on September 14, 1985, aged 81. A tearaway fast bowler, very fast for a schoolboy- he was in the Charterhouse XI in 1922 and played a few times for Glamorgan and for Wales in 1928 and 1929, captaining the county in at least one match. He was an elder brother of J. T. Morgan, they were not related to any other Morgans who have played for Glamorgan. Aubrey Morgan was decorated as Personal Adviser to Lord Franks when British Ambassador in Washington.

NASH, EDWARD MONTAGUE, who died on May 9, 1985, aged 83, was for many years between the wars the regular Wiltshire wicket-keeper and also a pretty useful hard-hitting bat. In 1936 and 1937 he kept for the Minor Counties against Oxford University. He also kept goal for Swindon Town and for Brentford.

NICHOLSON, ANTHONY GEORGE, who died on November 4, 1985, aged 47, was a medium-paced bowler who played a big part in Yorkshire's five Championship-winning seasons in the 1960s. When they won in 1962, Nicholson played in only five matches, but a year later he took 65 wickets, and when they became champions again, in 1966, at the start of a three-year run, he took 113 wickets at 15.50 apiece. This was his best season. He swung the ball, had excellent control and was often found to be sharper in pace than the batsman expected. He played for Yorkshire from 1962 to 1975- having previously been a policeman in Rhodesia, and took 876 first-class wickets at 19.74 each.

More than once Nicholson was close to playing for England. He was picked for the 1964-65 tour of South Africa but had to drop out through injury. Later, when he was a still better bowler, there were more good bowlers of his type available, and being a modest batsman with a build which made him less than agile in the field- he did not have the all-round qualifications of others. After retiring from first-class cricket he became a brewery representative. He played league cricket for some years and at the time of his death was the captain of the Ripon City Golf Club.

O'CONNOR, LEO PATRICK DEVEREAUX, who died on January 16, 1985, aged 94, played successfully for Queensland in the years leading up to their admission to the Sheffield Shield in 1926-27. In their first match- against New South Wales at Brisbane, he made 196 towards Queensland's winning target of 400. They were bowled out for 391. In the return match at Sydney a fortnight later O'Connor scored 103 and 143 not out and helped his side to a brilliant victory. There were four other hundreds in the same match - by Macartney, Jackson, Kippax and Oxenham. At 38, however, O'Connor was considered too old for the Australian team.

O'DONNELL, JOHN ALAN, died in Co. Wicklow on September 29, 1984, aged 89- being the e time the oldest Irish international. His two matches for Ireland in 1928 and 1930 were first-class and brought him no success, but he scored well for the Merrion club in senior cricket.

PHADKAR, DATTATREYA GAJANAN (DATTU), who died in Madras, following heart surgery, on March 17, 1985, aged 59, was a right-arm medium-paced bowler and a forcing batsman, and, as such, one of India's best all-rounders in the years after the Second World War. He played in 31 Tests between 1947 and 1959, the first of them at Sydney, where he began with an innings of 51 and had bowling figures in Australia's one innings of three for 14 in ten overs. He scored another half-century in his next Test at Melbourne, the first of his two test centuries (123) in his third at Adelaide, and 56 not out in his fourth, also at Melbourne. After making 115 against England at Calcutta in 1951-52, a match in which he also took four wickets- he had the misfortune to make his one tour of England in 1952, a wet summer when Bedser was at his best and Trueman was an emerging force. Phadkar's best score in that series was 64 in India's second innings at Headingley, after their first four wickets had gone down for no run. Besides England and Australia, Phadkar also toured West Indies (1952-53) and Pakistan (1954-1955)

In the Rang Trophy he played for Maharashtra, Bombay, Railways and Bengal, captaining Bombay for whom he had an especially successful season in 1948-49 with a batting average of 114. The highest of his eight first-class centuries was 217 for Bombay against Maharashtra in 1951-51: his best bowling was seven for 26 against T. N. Pearce's XI at Scarborough in 1952, and his best Test bowling seven for 159 against West Indies at Madras in 1948-49. All told he scored 5,554 runs in first-class cricket (average 38.83) and took 465 wickets (average 22.09). He scored 1,229 runs in Tests (average 32.34) and took 62 wickets (average 36.85). He served at different times as an Indian Test selector and was made an Honorary Life Member of MCC in 1969. Two months before he died he came to the Press Box at Eden Gardens- Calcutta, to inform the Editor of Wisden that he had been born not on December 12,1925, as in the Almanack, but two days earlier.

PRITTIE, THE HON TERENCE CORNELIUS FARMER, MBE. who died in London on May 28, 1985, aged 71, was cricket correspondent of the Manchester Guardian in 1946 and author of several books on the game, Mainly Middlesex, written when he was a prisoner-of-war in Germany, Lancashire Hot-Pot, Cricket North and South and a history of Middlesex cricket He also wrote, with John Kay, Second Innings.

PULLINGER, GEORGE RICHARD, who died on August 4, 1982, aged 62, was an amateur from Grays, who filled the gap in the Essex side caused by the absence of Preston in 1949. Available only in the first half of the season, he opened the bowling with Bailey and did useful, steady work, for which he received his county cap. His best performance was to take five for 54 against Somerset at Bath. After a few matches in 1950 he dropped out of first-class cricket. Altogether he took 41 wickets for Essex at 39.97 each. PUNCH, AUSTIN THOMAS EUGENE, who died in Sydney in August, 1985, aged 91, represented New South Wales from 1919-20 until 1928-29 and also played once for Tasmania in 1927-28. A tall and forceful batsman, particularly strong on the front foot, he hit his highest score of 176, and only first-class century, for New South Wales against Otago when the state, side toured New Zealand in 1923-24. For New South Wales against J. W. H. T. Douglas MCC side in 1920-21 he scored 59 and 63 not out. In all first-class cricket he made 1,717 runs (35.04) and took 35 wickets with his occasional leg-breaks at 29.82 apiece. He scored heavily for North Sydney in first-grade cricket.

RICHARDSON, JOHN ALLAN, who died in hospital at Scarborough on April 2, 1985, aged 76, after a long illness, was a batsman who, if he could have spared the time from a busy life as an auctioneer and farmer, might well have been invaluable to Yorkshire even in their great sides under Brian Sellers. As it was, he could spare the time only for seven matches between 1936 and 1947, but in these he scored 308 runs with an average of 30.80. In 1937, in consecutive matches, he made 54 not out against Sussex at Sheffield and then against Gloucestershire at Headingley, facing Goddard on a turning pitch, got 38 and 41 and had much to do with a Yorkshire victory. His highest score for the county was 61 against MCC at Scarborough in 1934. Curiously enough, his debut in first-class cricket was not for Yorkshire- but for the Gentlemen against the Players at Scarborough in 1934, when he made 35 not out against an attack which included Bowes, Nichols, Townsend and Verity. An upright, attacking batsman, who once drove McDonald for 6 in the first over of a club match, he was for years a very heavy scorer for Scarborough, once making six consecutive centuries for them.

ROSS, GORDON JOHN, who died at lord's on April 27, 1985, aged 67, was closely connected with numerous cricket publications. He edited the Playfair Cricket Monthly throughout its thirteen years of existence, and at the time of his death he was editor of the Playfair Cricket Annual, as he had been since 1954, and also of The Cricketer Quarterly Facts and Figures. From 1978-80 he was Associate Editor, under Norman Preston, of Wisden Cricketers' Almanack, for whom he reviewed books (1979 to 1980) and wrote articles. For 30 years he had invariably been at work either on one of these publications, or on football and cricket brochures or on a book of some kind. His brochures covered football of both codes (he edited the Playfair Rugby Annual for many years), and his books included one on the University Boat Race as well as a short history of the game and other histories of Surrey (The Surrey Story), West Indian cricket and the Gillette Cup. He worked regularly for the sports' pages of the Sunday Times, besides writing for The Times, The Scotsman and the Sunday Telegraph. As a consultant to Gillette and then NatWest, he had been directly involved with one-day county cricket since its inception in 1963. A well-known and popular figure round the county grounds, always dapper and seldom to be seen without a red carnation in his button hole, he had just been watching a day's cricket when, having reached his car, he died. He was a vice-president of the Lancashire County Cricket Club.

ROTHERAM, GERARD ALEXANDER, died at Bakewell on January 31, 1985, aged 85. A member of a well-known Warwickshire cricket family, he headed the Rugby batting and bowling averages in 1917 with good figures, but it was his bowling which gained him a place among the five Public Schools 'Cricketers of the Year in the 1918 Wisden. At Cambridge he got a Blue in 1919: his wickets were expensive, but- though he went in low- he had a batting average of 39.66, the result largely of valuable innings played at a crisis. When he made 84 not out- his highest score in first-class cricket, against the AIF, he and J. H. Naumann, coming together with nine wickets down for 148, added 145, and against Oxford he and G. A. Fairbairn put on 65 badly needed runs for the ninth wicket. Next year his bowling figures were much improved and he did admirable all-round work, so there was considerable criticism when he was unexpectedly left out at Lord's in favour of G. P. Brooke-Taylor, a batsman pure and simple.

Meanwhile Rotheram had been playing regularly' for Warwickshire after term both in 1919 and 1920, and in 1921, being down from Cambridge, he was available for the whole season, though in fact he missed three weeks in June with a damaged arm. His batting was disappointing, but he took 88 wickets and, though his bowling average was 26.36, he made a big difference to a side which otherwise relied almost solely on Howell for its quicker bowling. This was the end of his first-class cricket in this country; he went out to New Zealand, where he spent many years and played a few times for Wellington. A fast-medium bowler with a good action, plenty of life and an effective slower ball, he just lacked the necessary accuracy to be in the top class. As a batsman he might be described as practical rather than a stylist and he was a fine fieldsman. In all first-class cricket he made 1,801 runs with an average of 18.76 and took 180 wickets at 28.36.

SHERWOOD, DAVE, who died on March 12, 1985, aged 73, was scorer for New South Wales for 50 years and made seven tours of England as the official Australian scorer. On both sides of the world he was as popular as he was helpful. His body was recovered from the sea near Sydney.

SPEAKMAN, FREDERICK SAMUEL, who died on August 14, 1985, reported Northamptonshire cricket for 40 years. representing Wisden, the national news agencies and countless papers: for more than 31 years he did not miss a day the county played at home. He was an old-fashioned sports reporter, with few literary flourishes but perfect shorthand and an unrivalled knowledge of Northampton goings-on: his rumpled, kindly presence was a County Ground landmark and will be much missed.

TANG CHOON, RUPERT P., who died on September 5, 1985, aged 71, played for Trinidad from 1934 to 1955 as a popular all-rounder. He came near to being chosen to tour England with the 1939 West Indian side as a stroke-making batsman- agile fielder and leg-break bowler. After the war he scored 103 for Trinidad against G. O. Allen's MCC side, adding 244 in three and a half hours with Gomez. `A neat, lithe batsman, Tang Choon gave a truly brilliant display', said Wisden. In 1934-35 he had also played against MCC, captained then by R.E.S. Wyatt. In 52 first-class matches Tang Choon scored 2,653 runs, incuding three centuries, and took 60 wickets.

WALTERS, ALBERT EDWARD, who died at Bristol in June 1985, aged 83, played for Gloucestershire as an amateur between 1923 and 1925, making his highest score of 42 in the first of his sixteen first-class matches, against Glamorgan at Cheltenham. In the same match he dismissed T. R. Morgan with his first ball he delivered for the county. He played later for Wiltshire, for whom, in 1928, also in his first match, he scored 131 against Surrey II at The Oval. His first-class record was 270 runs (12.85) and five wickets (75.40).

WEAVER, SAMUEL, died on April 15, 1985, aged 76. Better known as a soccer international left-half (while at Newcastle United), he had two games for Somerset in 1939 as a left-arm opening bowler but met with no success. In his second match, against Worcestershire at Kidderminster, Hazell joined him as the last man in with 6 needed to win but was out to the fourth ball of the last over and the game ended in a tie.

WILLSMORE, HURTLE BINKS, who died in Adelaide on September 17, 1985, aged 95, was one of the oldest surviving Sheffield Shield cricketers, having first played for South Australia in 1913-14. In all he scored 271 runs in first-class cricket at an average of 16.94 and took sixteen wickets at 32.88 apiece.

WILSON, JOHN WILLIAM, who died at Melbourne on October 13, 1985, aged 64, played once for Australian, against India at Bombay in 1956-57. A slow, orthodox left-arm bowler- a somewhat jerky action accounted for the nickname `Chuck'- he represented his native state of Victoria in 1949-50 before moving to Adelaide and playing for South Australia from 1950-51 until 1957-58. It was one the way home from the Australian tour of England in 1956 that he won his only cap. His figures in India's second innings were 21-11-25-1, Ramchand providing him with his one test wicket. His outstanding performance in England had been against Gloucestershire on a difficult pitch at Bristol, when the county were bowled out for 44 and 124 and Wilson returned match figures of 37.1-21-61-12. Short and quite rotund, he took life as it came. In all first-class cricket he finished with 230 wickets at 30.52 apiece from 78 matches. He was not a batsman.

© John Wisden & Co