Obituaries in 1975

ALI, SYED NAZIR, who represented India in their first Test match in this country, died in Lahore in February at the age of 68. First attracting attention by some good bowling against the M.C.C. in India in 1926-7, he then spent several years in England, making one appearance for Sussex in 1927 and playing regularly in club cricket round London. In 1930 he represented the Club Cricket Conference against the Australians at Lord's and had the distinction of getting Bradman's wicket. When he was chosen as a member of the Indian side in England in 1932, he had thus the advantage of considerably greater experience of English conditions than most of the other players. By then he had become more of a batsman than a bowler and was third in the batting averages with 1,020 runs at an average of 31.87, his highest score being 109 against Essex. He was also third in the bowling, but took only 23 wickets. A match against the M.C.C. in India in 1934 concluded his Test career. He was an attacking batsman and a particularly fine driver, and a fast-medium right-hand bowler who could move the ball both ways. In later years he was a prominent administrator in Pakistani cricket. His elder brother, Wazir, also played for India.

APPLEYARD, JACK, one of the best known faces in Yorkshire cricket circles, died in hospital after a long illness on August 20, aged 77. Thousands will remember him as the man who brought Sunday cricket to a sports starved public during the Second World War. It was in 1940 that Appleyard first organised Sunday cricket in Roundhay Park, Leeds, a natural amphitheatre. The games were extremely popular with Test stars attracting as many as 70,000 to one game. Over the years Jack Appleyard's matches raised more than £20,000 for charity and cricketers' benefit. Probably the greatest team of all turned out for the Hedley Verity memorial match in 1944 when 18 Internationals played and Wilfred Rhodes and Emmott Robinson were the umpires.

The Red Cross, Leeds Infirmary, the National Playing Fields Association, Yorkshire Association of Boys' Clubs and the Cancer Research were among organisations to benefit. Among Yorkshire cricketers whose benefits received handsome donations from match proceeds were W. Barber, W. E. Bowes, T. F. Smailes, Sir Leonard Hutton, J. H. Wardle, Bob Appleyard and F. A. Lowson. Mr. Appleyard began in the clothing industry at 13, putting tickets on garments, and eventually owned a business that still prospers.

ARNOTT, TREVOR, died at Wilton, near Ross-on-Wye, on February 2, aged 72. From 1921 to 1930 he did valuable service for Glamorgan and in 1928 captained the side. Later he played for Monmouthshire. He was a useful medium-pace swinger who generally opened the bowling, and a batsman who could hit the ball hard in front of the wicket. The highest of his three centuries was 153 against Essex at Swansea in 1928. In 1928 he went with the Hon. L. H. Tennyson's side to Jamaica.

BADGER, HENRY DIXON, who died in hospital on August 10, aged 75, was in the Shrewsbury XI in 1917 and 1918 as a fast bowler and had a trial for Oxford in 1921 without getting his blue. In that season he took six wickets for Yorkshire against Cambridge, thereby breaching the convention that an under-graduate in residence does not play against the other university except in the' Varsity match. He also played one match for Yorkshire in 1922. Later he was a master at Sedbergh.

BAGGALLAY, LT.-COL. RICHARD ROMER CLAUDE, died on December 12, after a short illness, in his 92nd year. He was born in London on May 4, 1884. He first played for Derbyshire against the Australians in 1912 and also against Northamptonshire under his residential qualification. He captained the side in 1913 and 1914 until the outbreak of war when he was recalled to his regiment as Adjutant of Yeomanry in the South Notts. Hussars. He won the D.S.O. and M.C. and was appointed joint captain with John Chapman for 1919, but only played in three matches as he was appointed Military Secretary to the Viceroy of Ireland, Lord Ypres. He was a right hand batsman and wicket-keeper. His first-class record is 31 matches, 59 innings, 1 not out, 688 runs, 88 highest score against Somerset at Derby in 1913, 11.86 average, 25 catches, did not bowl or keep wicket, all for Derbyshire. His brother M. E. C. Baggallay kept wicket for Cambridge University in 1911 and his cousin T. W. Baggallay (later T. W. Baggallay-Weeding) played for Surrey in 1874. R. R. C. Baggallay attained the rank of Lt.-Col., finally serving with the Irish Guards. He was the last surviving pre-First World War county captain, T. E. Manning having died three weeks earlier.

BARBER, ROBERT JOHN DE CHAIR, O.B.E., a former Chairman of the Nottinghamshire County Cricket Club, died at East Leake, Loughborough, on June 23. A useful batsman in the Repton XI of 1924, he obtained a Soccer blue at Oxford.

BARRINGTON, THE HON. RUPERT EDWARD SELBORNE, who died at Forest Row on August 7, aged 97, was a useful batsman in the Charterhouse XI in 1895 and 1896 and in 1896 played for Berkshire. At the time of his death he was the oldest living member of 1 Zingari and may well have been the oldest living county cricketer.

BATESON, DAVID MAYHEW, D.S.O., who died in hospital on May 21, aged 69, was in the Eton XI in 1923 and 1924. In 1924, when he was captain, he headed the bowling averages with 34 wickets at an average of 10.61, and his analysis in the first innings at Lord's was 45.3-26-40-5. As this suggests, he was an astonishingly accurate bowler for a schoolboy, and he also varied his pace and moved it a little both ways. He did little afterwards and was never in the running for a blue at Oxford. As a half-miler he represented the University against Cambridge in the Relays.

BODDEY, MARTIN, the well-known singer and actor, who died suddenly on October 24, aged 68, was founder of the Lord's Taverners, who since 1949 have raised more than £250,000 to help youth cricket.

BOWER, MAURICE BRENTON SYNDERCOMBE, who died on May 1, aged 68, was in the Winchester XI in 1924 and 1925. On his first appearance for Dorset, against Wiltshire at Bridport in 1925, he made 87, which was the top score, and he continued to do good service for them as a batsman for several seasons. He captained Cambridge at soccer in 1928.

BRITTAIN-JONES, CAPT. JACK, C.B.E., who was Manager of the 1936 Indian side in England, died on February 23, aged 75. He was a member of I Zingari and Free Foresters.

CARDUS, SIR NEVILLE, C.B.E., died on February 27. (See special memoir in Features section.)

CARTER, WILFRED, who was born at Annesley (Notts.) on May 14, 1896, died at Shrodells Hospital, Watford on November 1. The family moved to Bolsover in Derbyshire and Carter first appeared for his adopted county in 1920. His first-class record is 65 matches, 112 innings, 10 not out, 1,812 runs, 145 highest score, 17.76 average; 16 wickets for 707 runs, 44.18 average, 26 catches. Carter's highest score of 145 was made against Leicestershire in July 1922, when he and A. H. M. Jackson put on 182 for the eighth wicket, a record for the county which still stands. He headed the Derbyshire batting averages that year and also scored 100 not out the following year against Northamptonshire at Chesterfield. He left the staff at the end of the 1924 season but played in four matches in 1926. He was a right hand batsman and bowled slow right donkey-drops. He joined Watford Football Club in 1920 as a wing half (left), playing in the first ever match at Vicarage Road before Watford became a member of the Football League, and played for five years. He was coach at Repton in 1929 and 1930, and also spent a few years as pro at Drumpellier.

COLLINS, IAN GLEN, who died after a long illness on March 20, aged 71, will be remembered by his contemporaries as a remarkably talented games player. After being four years in the Harrow XI at a time when they were very strong, he went up to Oxford in 1922, but a broken leg, which lost him an almost certain Soccer blue, prevented him from playing any cricket in his first two years. However in his last year, 1925, he had a trial for the University as a batsman and was twelfth man at Lord's. Meanwhile he had gained half-blues for golf and lawn-tennis and later represented Great Britain in the Davis Cup, besides playing cricket on a number of occasions for Scotland.

DHARMALINGHAM, CADIRAVEL, a left arm slow bowler who played for Tamil Union Cricket Club, died on August 5, aged 56. Playing for Trinity College, Kandy against the rival school, St. Anthony's College in 1938 at Kandy, he performed the hat-trick in each innings, the only instance in Ceylon school cricket. In 1952 he toured Pakistan with the Ceylon team and he also played for Galle Combined XI against M.C.C. the same year.

DOCKER, CYRIL TALBOT, M.B.E., who died in Sydney at the age of 91 on March 26, started his first-class career by taking nine for 132 for New South Wales v. Queensland in 1909, but New South Wales then had Cotter and there was no room for him in the Sheffield Shield side. During the Great War he served with the Australian Forces and took part in several matches at Lord's and in 1919 was a member of the A.I.F. side in England. Before the tour began he was listed in the press as the team's fast bowler, Gregory being strangely put down as fast medium, and in their first match, v. Lionel Robinson's side at Attleborough, he opened the bowling in the first innings with Kelleway and took five for 34, while Gregory did not bowl at all. A week later he took five for 41 and made 52 not out against Cambridge, but by now it was apparent that Gregory was far the more formidable proposition and Docker's opportunities became fewer and fewer: after mid-July he did not play at all. He reappeared for the side in South Africa, where he took five for 20 against the Transvaal, and in their matches in Australia, but after that dropped out of big cricket, though he retained his interest in the game to the end. His two younger brothers also played for New South Wales.

DOUBLEDAY, SIR LESLIE, President of the Kent County Cricket Club in 1971, died at Hempstead, near Sittingbourne, on February 6, at the age of 87.

DOWTY, SIR GEORGE, the industrialist, died on December 7 at his home in the Isle of Man, aged 74. Educated at Worcester Royal Grammar School, he was President of the Worcestershire County Cricket Club from 1962 to 1966, including the seasons of 1964 and 1965 when they won the championship.

DWYER, EDWARD ALFRED, who died in Sydney on September 10, aged 80, was an Australian selector from 1930 to 1952 and a New South Wales selector from 1930 to 1954. He was Manager of the Australian side in South Africa in 1949-50. In his younger days he had been a good club batsman and had also played for New South Wales 2nd XI.

EDEN, EBENEZER ZACHARIAH, who died at Westcliff-on-Sea, Essex on September 15, aged 72, spent a life-time as a sports journalist. Eb Eden joined the now defunct Cricket Reporting Agency in 1922 when one of his first tasks was to take down on the typewriter the Notes by the Editor, dictated by the famous Sydney Pardon. His connection with the compilation of Wisden, including the Obituary section in latter years, continued until November 1974 when he was stricken by illness and defective eyesight. A born humourist, Eden was a splendid colleague to work with and a true craftsman. He travelled the British Isles covering Rugby Union football for The Press Association and besides writing under his own name he also used the pen-names Peter Jardine and E. Adams Holme whom he portrayed as a crusty old down to earth critic of cricket matters. Eden was also responsible for forming the Ludgate Ramblers C.C. which between the wars had regular Sunday fixtures.--N.P.

ENTHOVEN, HENRY JOHN, who died at his home in London on June 29, aged 72, had a distinguished career for Harrow, Cambridge, Middlesex and the Gentlemen. After four years in the Harrow XI in which he twice played a big part in bowling out Eton, he got his blue as a Freshman in 1923 and in 1924 caused some surprise by making 104 at Lord's, a performance far in advance of anything he had done before. When on the other hand he followed this next year with 129, thus becoming the second player to make a hundred twice in the University match, there was no surprise. That year he topped the Cambridge batting with 779 runs at an average of 51.93, was second in the bowling with 50 wickets at 22.14 and was one of four Cambridge players picked for the Gentlemen at Lord's.

As Captain of Cambridge in 1926, he made 51 and 23 and took in the two innings six for 79, thus having a considerable share in his side's victory by 34 runs. Playing again for the Gentlemen, he finished the first innings of the Players by doing the hat-trick--the first Gentleman ever to perform this feat at Lord's in the long history of the match.

For Middlesex he played frequently, though never regularly, from 1925 to 1936, and in 1933 and 1934 shared the captaincy with Nigel Haig. Among many good performances three stood out. In 1927 Middlesex, faced with a total of 413, were in grave trouble against Lancashire at Lord's: Macdonald was then probably the most dangerous bowler in the world, eight wickets were down for 209 and Enthoven had reached a brave but rather unconvincing 50 in two hours and twenty-five minutes. At this point he started to attack, adding 89 out of 110 in fifty-five minutes and dealing especially severely with Macdonald. As Nigel Haig wrote years afterwards, `Better hitting a high-class fast bowling can rarely, if ever, have been seen'. In 1930 he scored a hundred in each innings against Sussex at Lord's: in the first innings the last wicket put on 107 in seventy-five minutes of which his share was 102. Finally in 1934 he did the hat-trick against the Australians.

He never had the style or elegance of the typical Public School and University batsman of his time, but he was a courageous player with a strong defence, who took full toll of anything loose and when he was set could disrupt any bowling. An accurate medium-paced bowler who moved the ball chiefly from the off, he opened the bowling for Cambridge in his last two years, but in county cricket was used simply as a change. By profession he was a stockbroker.

FERENS, HENRY CECIL, C.B.E., died at Durham on June 4, aged 76. A good batsman, he was in the XI at Durham School and later played for some years for the county, captaining the side in 1929, 1930 (when they won the championship) and 1931. At the time of his death he was Chairman of the County Club.

GIMSON, CHRISTOPHER, C.I.E., who died at Leicester on November 8, aged 88, had an outstanding record as a batsman at Oundle and in 1908 played for Cambridge University against Yorkshire without getting his Blue. Entering the I.C.S., he played a number of times for Leicestershire when home on leave in 1921 and against Kent at Gravesend, when he was Acting-Captain, scoring 40 out of 41 in twenty minutes. He was an attacking batsman and a fine outfield.

GRACE, CAPT. NORMAN VERE, R.N. (retired), who died on February 20, aged 80, was a son of the famous E. M. Grace and thus a nephew of W.G. A useful all-rounder, he was a member of the Free Foresters and had played for the Royal Navy.

GREENLEES, LT.-COL. WEIR LOUDON, who died on January 10, aged 92, was not in the XI at Harrow, but had a trial for Oxford as a wicket-keeper in 1904.

GROSS, FREDERICK ALBERT, died at Birmingham on March 11, aged 72. A leg-break and googly bowler, he had a good many trials for Hampshire as an amateur between 1924 and 1929 and got his county cap, but never became a regular member of the side. Turning professional, he played for Mitchell and Butler in the Birmingham League from 1930 to 1947 and in 1934 made one appearance for Warwickshire.

HAKE, HERBERT DENGO, O.B.E., died in Australia on April 12, aged 80. He was in the Haileybury XI for five years, 1910 to 1914, and Captain for the last three. After serving in the war he went up to Cambridge in 1919, but the University batting at that time was crushingly strong and, though he had a number of trials, he did not get his blue. However, between 1920 and 1925 he played some valuable innings for Hampshire, notably 94 against Leicestershire and 72 against Warwickshire, both in 1921, and 81 not out against Lancashire in 1923, made when runs were badly needed. A tall man, he was a fine striker of the ball and could score very fast. He was also a beautiful field and could keep wicket if required. He represented Cambridge at both hockey and rackets and was runner-up in the Amateur Rackets singles in 1929. After many years as a master at Haileybury, he was Headmaster of King's School, Paramatta, from 1939 to 1964.

HAMPDEN, DAVID FRANCIS, 5th VISCOUNT, who died at Glynde on September 4, aged 73, was better known to cricketers as the Hon. D. F. Brand. He was three years in the Eton XI and Captain in 1921. In 1919 at Lord's he played a very valuable innings of 50 not out, in 1920 he took five for 38 in the second innings and in 1921, besides doing useful all-round work, he was especially praised for his management of the bowling. He had a trial for Cambridge in 1922 without getting a Blue, but was a member the following winter of MacLaren's side to Australia and New Zealand. With 469 runs at an average of 21 and 41 wickets for 21 runs each he justified the choice, his best performance being an innings of 60, made when runs were badly wanted, off a New South Wales side who had Kelleway, Hendry, Mailey and J. D. Scott to bowl for them. An attractive, attacking batsman and a useful fast-medium bowler, he showed abundant promise, but unfortunately played no first-class cricket after his return. His family had had a long connection with cricket and his elder brother and his father had both been in the Eton XI. Moreover he was related by marriage to the Freeman-Thomas and Hill-Wood families.

HARDY, SIR EDWARD, who was President of the Kent County Cricket Club in 1957-58, died at Boughton Court, near Ashford, on July 3, aged 87.

HASTILOW, CYRIL ALEXANDER FREDERICK, C.B.E., died at Moseley, Birmingham, on September 30, aged 80. In 1919, when for Moseley he scored a thousand runs and took a hundred wickets, he had a brief trial for Warwickshire and was Captain of their Second XI from 1935 to 1947. He had been Hon. Secretary, Chairman and President of the County Cricket Club, and had also served on the M.C.C. Committee.

HAWTIN, ALFRED POWELL RAWLINS, who died at his home in Northampton on January 15 aged 91, did splendid work for Northamptonshire and was a batsman who must have taken a high place had he been able to devote his life to cricket. As it was, for many years his only regular cricket was one half-day match a week on early closing day in club cricket of very moderate standard. From this he would emerge to hold his own in a county side which was normally desperately in need of runs. This was in later years a source of embarrassment at times to his colleagues on the county committee, who had difficulty in convincing him that players of lesser natural ability could not adapt themselves to the big change involved as easily as he had done. A tremendous enthusiast and a great student of the game, he was a sound defensive batsman whose footwork could hardly have been bettered. He could never be tempted into a rash stroke and was quite imperturbable: the bowler never felt any nearer to getting him out just because he had beaten him once or twice. His first match for Northamptonshire was in 1902, when they were still second-class. He did not appear again until 1908 and, after playing several times in that and the three following seasons, was seen no more till the war. In 1919 an invitation to play reached him while he was still overseas and, after having hardly touched a bat for five years, in his first match he made 135 against Sussex, the highest of his three centuries for the county and also the first. He continued to play when he could until 1930 and in his last innings made 79 against Middlesex at Lord's. He had to refuse the captaincy in 1927. After his retirement he continued to work for the county off the field and during the Second War was almost solely responsible for keeping the club going. After the war he became Chairman. His elder brother had also played for Northamptonshire.

HOLME, PAUL ARTHUR THOMAS, who died at Winchester on January 5, aged 58, was a member of the Winchester XI in 1934.

HUMPHREY, STUART HAROLD GUISE, who died at Dallington, Northampton, on June 9, aged 81, was in the XI at Oakham for five years, 1909 to 1913, and played for Northamptonshire from 1913 to 1926, though never regularly. A big man and a formidable centre three-quarter at Rugger, he was a tremendous hitter and the highest of a number of useful innings he played for the county, 61 not out against Leicestershire in 1925, took only thirty-five minutes and included five straight drives for six over the sight-screen off Astill. For St. Thomas's Hospital against the Middlesex Hospital in 1920 he scored 286 and took nine wickets. By profession he was an eye-specialist in Northampton.

LAWRENCE, LT.-COL. HERVEY MAJOR, D.S.O., O.B.E., died at Ely on September 17 aged 94. In 1899 he played in four matches for Kent as a fast-medium bowler, but met with little success. In all matches that year he took 209 wickets for 1953 runs. Later he played occasionally for Kent II and for The Army. He was the last known survivor of those who played first-class county cricket before 1900.

LINDSAY, SIR WILLIAM O'BRIEN, K.B.E., who died in Nairobi on October 20, aged 66, was three years in the Harrow XI as a batsman and wicket-keeper, averaging 55 in the last. At Oxford he got a Blue in 1931, his third year, as an opener, though his average was only 13.50 and his highest score 25. D. C. G. Raikes was preferred to him as a wicket-keeper. Later in the season Lindsay made a couple of appearances for Kent, for whom he had a birth qualification, and in the first of them kept wicket in the absence of Ames. In 1932 he failed to retain his place in the Oxford side, despite a brave innings of 63 against Lancashire. He had no grace of style, but was a determined player with a good defence and one who seldom let off the leg-ball. Later he had a distinguished career in the Sudan, becoming Chief Justice.

LINNETT, PROFESSOR JOHN WILFRID, F.R.S., Master of Sidney Sussex, Cambridge, who died suddenly in London on November 7, aged 62, was an enthusiastic and versatile cricketer, equally prepared to bat, bowl or keep wicket. Between 1939 and 1953 he played occasionally for Oxfordshire.

LITTLE, WILLIAM, who captained Stirlingshire when they won the Scottish Counties Championship in 1952, died in January at the age of 61.

MADDEN-GASKELL, MAJOR JOHN CHARLES PENGELLEY, O.B.E., died on February 4, aged 78. After making one appearance for Glamorgan in 1922 and scoring 32 against Yorkshire, he played a few times for Somerset from 1928 to 1930. In 1928 he made 42 and 63 against Northamptonshire at Taunton, driving Larwood, then in his prime, in a way that suggested considerable possibilities if he could have played more frequently.

MANNING, THOMAS EDGAR, who died on November 22, aged 91, was easily the senior surviving Captain of a first-class county. His death left Lt.-Col. R. R. C. Baggallay, Captain of Derbyshire in 1914, the sole survivor of those who captained a county before the Great War. After averaging 61 in his last year in the Wellingborough XI, Manning went up to Cambridge, where he played in some trials and might perhaps have got a Blue as a wicket-keeper had he not been contemporary with M. W. Payne. He had first appeared for Northamptonshire in 1903 and from 1908 to 1910 captained the side. Promoted in 1905, the county had hitherto shown little claim to justify it. The turning-point came under Manning's captaincy when in 1909, after losing seven of their first eight matches, they won eight out of the next nine and finished seventh. Next year, they were ninth and in 1912 second. Reappearing in 1919 after nine years' absence, he headed the batting averages and made his highest score for the county, 57 against Derbyshire. A match in 1922 concluded his career. From 1948 to 1955 he was President of the County Cricket Club.

MIDDLETON, ROY FOSTER, who died at Adelaide in March at the age of 85, had been Chairman of the Australian Cricket Board of Control and was a Life Member of the M.C.C.

MOLYNEUX, JOHN GWILYM, who died at Penrith, Cumbria, on February 28, aged 78, was President of Penrith Cricket Club for 23 years and also a life member. He gave many years of service to Cumberland, whose Minor Counties team he managed, and he also took a keen and active interest in youth cricket in his town and county. Over forty years ago he gave Penrith the Molyneux Shield which goes to the winners of an annual competition for local school sides.

MORRIS, PERCY, died at Swansea in July, aged 94. Primarily a batsman, he did useful work for Glamorgan in their second-class days, and in their first first-class match against Sussex at Cardiff in 1921 when they gained a surprising victory, he opened the bowling. He continued to play occasionally until 1925 and in his last match, going in first with N. V. H. Riches against Essex at Swansea, made 30. He played for Swansea for many years and maintained his interest in cricket to the end of his life.

Norfolk, the 16th DUKE of, who had been in failing health for some time, died at Arundel Castle on January 31, aged 66. He was the nearest approach our times have seen to the great 18th-century patrons of cricket. On his lovely ground at Arundel, where he firmly believed, not without some justification, that the wicket was the best in the world, sides from the colonies frequently opened their tour in April with a match in aid of charity against his team. On most Sundays in May, June and July his eleven played either a local side or one of the wandering clubs: on these occasions he entertained both teams and their supporters most generously and until a few years ago always captained his own side himself, though he never made the faintest pretence of being more than a moderate club cricketer. In addition he was generous in allowing the use of his ground for other matches: the Sussex Martlets in particular have in recent seasons had some eighteen or twenty days' cricket there. But the scope of his cricket activities was far wider than this. He was for many years President of Sussex and in 1955 President of the M.C.C. He took a side to Jamaica in 1957 and another to the Caribbean in 1970, managing both tours himself.

Above all, he was Joint-Manager of the M.C.C. side in Australia in 1963-4. This was a bold and imaginative appointment, which undoubtedly took the general public by surprise and which involved obvious difficulties and dangers in a day when players are not accustomed to give the unquestioning obedience they once did to one who speaks with authority. But no one could hold out for long against the Duke's unfailing kindness and sense of humour and his own side and the Australians alike soon came to love and admire him. His views on cricket were strong and uncompromising. He regarded it as essentially a friendly game and an attacking one, and woe betide any player or any team that he saw playing for a draw on his own ground. His dedication to the game and the time he managed to find for it were astonishing in view of the multiplicity of his other interests and of the innumerable duties in which he was involved both in his own county of Sussex and in affairs of State. Great lover of cricket though he was, no one was ever heard to suggest that he allowed it to interfere with more important things.

PAYNE, JOE, died at Luton on April 22, aged 61. He played for Bedfordshire from 1937 to 1951. In his second game for the county he took seven for 30 and six for 56 against Oxfordshire. His highest score was also against Oxfordshire--58 in 1938. He was better known as a footballer, playing successively for Luton, Chelsea and West Ham and gaining one international cap for England. By scoring ten goals for Luton against Bristol Rovers in 1936, he established a League Record.

PENNEFATHER, GEOFFREY EDWARD MAXWELL, of the Harrow XI in 1925 and 1926, died on November 13, aged 68. He was a useful all-round cricketer--a medium pace bowler with a good slow ball and some power of spin, a fine field and a spirited lower order batsman.

PHILLIPS, ALAN HEDLEY, who died suddenly on May 20 at the age of 76, was a useful all-rounder who played occasionally for Oxfordshire. Captain of Oxford at soccer in 1922, he was for many years a master at Shrewsbury.

POPHAM, REGINALD FRANCIS, of Warnham, near Horsham, died on September 9 at the age of 83. He was in the Repton XI in 1910 and 1911 and, beginning in 1910, did good service for Norfolk as a batsman both before and after the Great War, heading their averages in 1914. In 1919 he played in several first-class matches for M.C.C. and made 52 not out against Oxford at Lord's. He was better known as a soccer player, captaining Oxford in 1914 and obtaining two Amateur International caps in that year and one in 1920.

PRINGLE, DONALD, was killed in a car crash on October 4 on his way back from a match in Nairobi, in which he had taken six for 16. He was 43. An opening bowler, he was one of the East African side in England last summer. He was unable, owing to injury, to play in the Prudential Cup match against New Zealand, but played against England, without, however, much success. Born in Lancashire, he had been playing for Kenya, where he was a landscape consultant, for seventeen years.

SMART, CYRIL CECIL, died on May 21 aged 75. Between 1920 and 1922 he played in forty-five matches for Warwickshire, but his highest score was 59 and his nine wickets cost him 56.44 runs each. Nor was he much more successful during a number of appearances for Glamorgan between 1927 and 1933. It was only in 1934 at the age of thirty-six that he achieved anything of note and from then to the outbreak of the war he was a most valuable member of the county side. In those six seasons he scored 7416 runs with an average of 32.72 and made nine centuries, his powerful driving making a welcome contrast to the more sedate methods of other members of the side. He was moreover a splendid all-round field and a useful change leg-break bowler. His highest score was 151 not out against Sussex at Hastings in 1935, but more notable than this was his 114 not out against the South Africans the same year. Following on 259 behind, Glamorgan were 114 for nine. At this point Smart and D. W. Hughes, who was making his first appearance for the county, put on 131 unfinished for the last wicket in an hour and with the help of rain saved the match.

He is perhaps more widely remembered for hitting G.Hill of Hampshire, an off-spinner, for 32 in one over at Cardiff in 1935, at that time a record number off a genuine six-ball over in first-class cricket. (When Alletson scored 34 off an over from Killick in his famous innings at Hove, he was aided by two no-balls). Even now the feat has only once been surpassed--when Sobers hit six sixes in 1946, but at forty-eight could not produce his old form and that was his last season. He and his elder brother Jack, the Warwickshire wicket-keeper, were both born in Wiltshire; their father was for years one of the mainstays of the Wiltshire side.

SMITH, MAURICE WINNINGTON, died at Bidborough, Kent, on August 4, aged 67. A fast bowler, he was in the Tonbridge XI in 1926 and 1927, and played a couple of matches for Kent II in 1932.

STEPHENSON, JOHN STEWART, died suddenly at Horsham on October 7, aged 71. He was four years in the Shrewsbury XI and in the fourth, when he was Captain, scored 778 runs with an average of 70.72. He played for Yorkshire from 1923 to 1926, being awarded his cap, and for Oxford in 1925 and 1926. For Yorkshire his highest innings was 60 against Hampshire and for Oxford 72 against H. D. G. Leveson Gower's XI, both in 1926, but undoubtedly his two most notable innings were 45 for Oxford against the Australians in the same year and a month or two later 52 in the second innings of the' Varsity match, which nearly won his side a sensational victory. A magnificent figure of a man, he made full use of his height when batting and was a good back-player and a fine driver. He was also one of the best mid-offs of his day. After 1926 he played little cricket of any kind. All games came naturally to him: he was four years in the Oxford soccer side as a back, captaining them in two'Varsity matches, and played for three years in the Golf side. He was also an outstanding player of Eton Fives. From 1928 to 1937 he was a master at Lancing, where he ran the cricket for some years.

STIRLING, SIR JOHN, M.B.E., died on March 31, aged 81. He was a member of the Harrow XI in 1913.

THOMAS, HERBERT FRANCIS BALDWIN, O.B.E., who died at Followfield, Manchester, on January 30, was founder and for fifty years Secretary of the Lancashire Schools Cricket Association.

TRENERRY, WILLIAM LEO, M.C., who died on September 4, aged 82, was one of the few surviving members of the Australian Imperial Forces side of 1919. An adaptable batsman, who frequently went in first, he scored 961 runs with an average of 28.26 and a highest score of 82 against Lancashire. These figures show his consistency, but they do not show how often he came to the rescue when runs were badly needed. His leg-breaks, bowled as an occasional change, were not very successful. His first-class cricket virtually ended with this tour, but he was well-known in club cricket in Sydney.

WASHER, GEORGE WILLIAM, who died in hospital in Brighton on February 7, had been for the last twenty-one years scorer to the Sussex County Cricket Club. He was author of A Complete Record of Sussex County Cricket, 1728 to 1957.

WODEHOUSE, SIR PELHAM GRENVILLE, the famous novelist, who died in hospital on Long Island on February 14 at the age of 93, had been a member of the Dulwich College XI in 1899 and 1900. He was godfather of M. G. Griffith, the late Captain of Sussex.

WYNNE, OWEN E., who opened South Africa's batting in six Tests but never came to England, was lost at sea on July 13, yachting with his wife, his son and two friends. He was 56. Before the war he played for the Transvaal and in the first season after made 200 not out for them against the Border. He then moved to Western Province and, playing for them against F. G. Mann's M.C.C. side in 1948 in the first match of their tour, scored 108, and followed this a week later by making 105 against them for Cape Province. This naturally gained him a place in the Test side, but after his four innings in the first two Tests had produced only 17 runs, he was perhaps lucky to be picked for the third. In this he made 50 and 44 and was then dropped for the last two Tests, a decision which, without knowing the reasons, one is in no position to criticise.

Next season he began with innings of 35 (out of a total of 84) and 20 for a South African XI v. the Australians, being the only batsman to face Lindwall with confidence, and after failing against them for Western Province, again made his Test place secure with an innings of 138 against them for another South African XI: this innings took him nearly six hours. However, his best score in six innings was 33 and he was again dropped.

Taking to farming, he then disappeared from first-class cricket, but in 1958 played one more season for Western Province and, scoring 75 in his first innings, and later making 141 against the Transvaal, showed how much South Africa had lost by his early retirement. A solid rather than a brilliant bat, he was primarily an on-side player.


ATHERTON, THOMAS, who had been a member of the Lancashire County Cricket Club Committee and a Vice-President, died in December, 1974.

COOPE, MILES, died at his birthplace, Gildersome, Yorkshire, on July 5, 1974, aged 56. A product of the Bradford League, he did useful work for Somerset as a batsman from 1947 to 1949. In 1948 he scored 1107 runs with an average of 23.55. He made two centuries for the county, 113 against Middlesex at Taunton in 1947 and 102 against Lancashire at Manchester in 1949.

COTMAN, CAPTAIN DUNCAN ALDRED, R.N. (retired), who died on August 8, 1974, aged 66, was Captain of the Epsom College XI in 1926 and later played a few times for Devon. He was a useful all-round cricketer.

DICKINSON, STANLEY PATRICK, died at Dolbenmaen, near Criccieth, on June 25, 1972, aged 82. He was born at Norton, then part of Derbyshire, on March 7, 1890, and played for the County in two matches in 1909. He was in the Haileybury XI in 1906-7.

DOVEY, RAYMOND RANDALL, the Kent off-spin bowler, died suddenly at his home in Tunbridge Wells on December 27, 1974, aged 54. He appeared for Kent in a few matches before the 1939-45 war and when he retired in 1955 he had taken 777 wickets in first-class cricket at 27.53 runs each and scored 3,827 runs, average 11.59. Born at Chislehurst, Dovey was tall and lean and wore glasses. He was a reliable stock bowler who could turn to medium pace and when he accomplished his best performance, eight wickets for 23 runs in 19.2 overs for Kent at Blackheath in 1950, he opened the attack with J. W. Martin. On a rain-affected pitch, he turned the ball sharply into the batsmen and many fell to leg-side catches. As he took five for 52 in the second innings, his match figures were thirteen for 75 and Kent won for the first time in 16 years in the then traditional Surrey fixture at The Rectory Field. On his retirement, Dovey went first as coach to Sherborne, playing for a time for Dorset. He then moved to Tonbridge where he was responsible for the high standard of cricket for many years. Colin Cowdrey paid a special tribute to Dovey for his work at Tonbridge, where he also ran the school shop.

JOY, COLONEL RONALD CECIL GRAHAM, D.S.O., who died in hospital at Ditchingham, Norfolk, on December 12, 1974, aged 76, was in the Winchester XI in 1916, and appeared a number of times for Essex between 1922 and 1928, besides playing for The Army. A fast-medium right-hander with a high action and a useful bat, he was a good club player, but never accomplished much in county cricket. His wife was a daughter of Frank Penn, who played for England in the Test Match at The Oval in 1880.

KENT, KENNETH GWYNNE, who died on December 29, 1974, aged 73, played a few times for Warwickshire between 1927 and 1931 as a fast-medium right-hand bowler, but without much success. He was in the XI at King Edward's School, Birmingham.

MOHOTTALLAGE, DANGIRI BANDA, a stylish left-handed opening batsman and a very good field in the deep, who played for St. Anthony's College, Kandy and Ceylon University College, died on September 18, 1974, aged 60. He was Minister of Food and Agriculture in Dudley Senanayake's Cabinet and a Trustee of the Board of the International Rice Research Institute of Manila.

MONKS, CLIFFORD I., of Downend, Bristol, who died on January 23, 1974, aged 62, played for Gloucestershire as an amateur in 1935 and concluded his county career in 1952. A sound batsman, a fine fielder and a useful change bowler, he would have been at his best during the war years. In 101 innings for the county he hit 1,589 runs and his highest score was 120 against Cambridge University at Bristol in 1948. He will be remembered for a miraculous catch against Middlesex a Cheltenham in August 1947 during the match which virtually decided the County Championship. Middlesex, with a slight lead of 27 on the first innings, were collapsing in their second until R. W. V. Robins attacked the bowling vigorously and collected 45 in forty-nine minutes. Then he made a huge leg-side hit off Goddard which looked a certain six, but a record crowd of 14,500--the gates were closed--saw Monks race round the boundary edge and without any hesitation in his stride, make a perfect catch head high. It gave Gloucestershire a chance of victory which they did not take and they were beaten by 68 runs, being dismissed for 100. Middlesex eventually won the championship and Gloucestershire finished runners-up.

ONGLEY, ARTHUR MONTAGUE, an outstanding personality in New Zealand sport, both in cricket and rugby football, who became New Zealand President in each sphere, died at Palmerston North on October 17, 1974, aged 92. He played for Hawke's Bay, Westland and Manawatu and in 1902-3 he appeared for a Westland XVII against Lord Hawke's English team and captured eight wickets for 36 in an innings of 69 with his leg-spinners. Sir Pelham Warner in Cricket Across The Seas wrote, Ongley, a boy of 19, who had some coaching from Albert Trott, bowled slow right-hand with a break both ways, the ball coming off the matting very quickly, but he derived much assistance from his 16 fielders. Ongley was the pioneer in establishing, after years of effort, the interests of the Minor Associations from 1923 until finally, in 1950-51 Central Districts was admitted to the Plunket Shield. Ongley was honoured with the C.B.E. and was President of the New Zealand Cricket Council in 1954-55.

PERERA BERTRAM SIRIPALA, one of Ceylon's leading cricketers in the 1930's, died on December 28, 1974, aged 68. He toured India in 1932-33 with the Ceylon team under the captaincy of Dr. C. H. Gunasekera, of Middlesex fame, and took six for 51 against All Sind at Karachi. Perera captained the Postal Department team when they toured India in 1936 and later became cricket coach of the Vidyalankara Campus of the University of Ceylon and a Class One umpire.

PRATT, WILLIAM EWART, who died at Leicester during 1974 when approaching 80, played a number of times for Leicestershire as a batsman in 1920 and 1921. His highest innings, 29 not out against Sussex at Leicester in 1921, enabled the county to win by three wickets. Set 259 to get, they lost seven wickets for 172 and then J. H. King and Pratt hit off the remaining runs.

READ, REGINALD JOHN, a right arm medium paced bowler who took 184 wickets, average 25.56, for Canterbury (N.Z.), died at Christchurch on March 1, 1974, aged 87. He made his first appearance for New Zealand when 41, against the Melbourne Cricket Club side in 1927-28 and he also played in two Tests against the visiting Australians led by V. Y. Richardson in 1927-28. It was said that only his age counted against his selection for the 1927 New Zealand team that toured England. His best performance was seven for 35 and seven for 24 for Canterbury against Southland, then a first-class side, in 1920-21.

WELLS COLE, GERVAS CHARLES, who died on December 21, 1974, aged 85, was a member of a well-known Lincolnshire cricket family and himself played for the county in 1925. He was not in the XI at Repton.

WILLIAMS. HERBERT REGINALD HEWETT, D.S.O., who died on November 4, 1974, aged 74, was in the Charterhouse XI in 1917 and 1918 and kept wicket a number of times for Essex in 1919 and 1920.

© John Wisden & Co