Obituaries in 1948

ANDERSON, MR. WILLIAM BURN, died at Langham Hall, Bury St. Edmunds, on January 31, aged 76. Harrow XI 1889-91. In 1891 played once for Middlesex. Was connected in business with Christie Manson & Woods.

BAKER, ALBERT, Surrey professional from 1900 to 1907 who played again for the county in 1912, died on April 29, aged 75. A good batsman, he scored 1,257 runs in 1905 with average 31.42.

BARNATO, CAPTAIN WOOLF, died in a nursing home in London on July 27, aged 53. Best known for long distance motor-car racing, he occasionally kept wicket for Surrey in the seasons 1928-30. A son of Mr. Barney Barnato, the well-known diamond merchant, he was educated at Charterhouse School and Cambridge.

BINYON, MR. ALFRED EDWIN, died at Kendal, October 4. Played for Somerset. For over forty years a master at Ackworth School, Yorkshire, then at Stramongate School, Kendal.

BLORE, MR. WILLIAM PERRY, died at Canterbury, October 24, aged 73. Marlborough XI 1894. For many years Hon. Librarian to the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury Cathedral.

BROWNE, MR. CYRIL ROSS, died at Eastbourne, April 30, aged 55. Played for Sussex and Northamptonshire. Master at Harrow for 29 years and for some years in charge of cricket.

BUTLER, MR. EDWARD MONTAGU, died February 11, after one day's illness, at Rogate, near Peterstield, aged 81. Played for Harrow 1883-85 (captain), and Cambridge 1888-89; Cambridge County 1894. Played for Middlesex two matches in 1885. Winner of the Public Schools Racquets Championship vvith C. D. Buxton in 1884 and with E. Crawley 1885. Represented Cambridge at racquets in the singles 1889, doubles 1888-89, and also against Oxford in the tennis doubles 1889. Amateur racquets champion 1889 and winner of the Championship with M. C. Kemp in 1892. Assistant Master at Harrow 1892-1919.

CALTHROP, LIEUT.-COLONEL EVERARD EARLE, died November 28, aged 57. Bradfield XI 1906-09 (captain 1909). Passed out of Woolwich as Senior Cadet with the sword of honour after being captain there of cricket, football and hockey. M.C. 1915, Croix de Guerre avec Palmes 1918.

CAVE, MR. HAROLD WATKINS, died at Crowthorne, Berks, April 19, aged 85. Rugby XI 1879-81 (captain). Oxford Freshmen's match 1882. Oxford XV 1881. Accidents prevented him playing in the next three seasons.

CHARLES, REV. JOHN PACEY, died at Spilsby, Lincolnshire, May 31, aged 82. Marlborough XI 1883-84. Played for Wiltshire and Lincolnshire.

COCHRANE, MR. ALFRED HENRY JOHN, an Oxford Blue in 1885, 1886, and 1888, died on December 14, at Batheaston, Somerset, aged 83. Born in Mauritius on January 26, 1865, he went to Repton School and was three years in the cricket eleven before gaining his Blue as a Freshman at Oxford in 1885. Bowling medium pace left hand, he played against Cambridge three times, injury keeping him out of the 1887 match at Lord's. The Light Blues, captained by the the Hon. M. B. Hawke, won the first of these matches by 133 runs; Oxford, replied with victory by seven wickets, but the third meeting in which Cochrane took part was drawn. In that game, Cochrane did his best performance for Oxford, dismissing nine men for 105 runs, but rain throughout Monday, and again on Thursday, to which the fixture was extended in the hope of a finish, prevented a definite decision. He played for Gentlemen against Players at Lord's in 1886 and in turn for Derbyshire and Northumberland. Besides light verse he wrote "Repton Cricket--1865-1905" and "Told in the Pavilion."

CRADOCK, MR. THOMAS TRESILLIAN, who died at Durban on June 27, aged 71, played in Currie Cup matches for Transvaal in M.C.C. in 1909-10.

CRAKE, MR, ERIC HAMILTON, died at Nakuru, Kenya, on February 3, aged 60. Played for Harrow 1903-06 (captain 1905-06), Stock farmer, Kenya.

CRAWLEY, CANON ARTHUR STAFFORD, M.C. and Bar, died suddenly on October 8, aged 72. In the Harrow eleven 1894-95 he played in Oxford Trials, and for Hertfordshire. Winner of Public Schools Racquets Championship with J. H, Stogdon 1895. Represented Oxford in Racquets doubles and tennis singles and doubles 1898. Canon of St, George's Chapel, Windsor, since 1934 and was Chaplain to the King from 1944.

DAWSON, MAJOR JOHN MILES, died at Wetherby, Yorkshire, on December 3, aged 77. Educated at Eton and Cambridge, but not in either eleven. Played for Yorkshire Gentlemen. In 1894 he proved the best batsman in the first British team, captained by R. Slade Lucas, to visit west Indies; scored 138 against Barbados. In 1896 he was a member of Lord Hawke's team in West Indies. A Vice-President of Yorkshire County Club, he served on the Committee from 1911.

EDEN, MR. THOMAS ARTHUR, died at Kimberley, December 29, aged 66. Secretary of Griqualand West Cricket Union from 1918 to 1946, he was at one time a member of the South African Board of Control. He played for Griqualand West occasionally from April 1903 to December 1926 in Currie Cup and other matches.

EGERTON, MAJOR THE HON. FRANCIS WILLIAM GEORGE, died at Hove on April 4, aged 73. Opening bat for Eton in 1893, he helped to beat Harrow at Lord's by nine wickets. Heir-presumptive to the Earldom of Ellesmere, Served for many years with the Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry, retiring in 1919.

FALLOWS, MR. JOHN COCKS, treasurer of Lancashire County Club and President of Stockport Cricket Club, of Of which he was a member for 46 years, died at his home "Rathlea,"Romiley on October 12, aged 72. A good batsman,he captained Stockport for severel years and occasionally captained Cheshire before he retired in 1926. After 25 years on the Lanchashire Committee he became a vice-president. Keenly interested in all local cricket, notably the High Peak League, he at one time was treasurer of the Manchester and District Cricket Association. He played football for Werneth Albion and was the oldest member of Romiley Golf Club. His only son, J. A. Fallows, captained Lancashire in 1946.

FESTING, BRIGADIER -GENERAL FRANCIS LEYCESTER, C.B., C.M.G., died at Chalford, Gloucester, October 17, aged 91. Winchester eleven 1843-94.

FLEMING. MR. CHARLES JAMES NICOL, died at Castle Douglas, November 13, aged 80. Fettes 1885-87 captain two years. Freshmen's Match, Oxford, 1888. Oxford Rugby 1887-90, and played for Scotland against England 1896 and against Ireland 1896-97. Assistant Master Fettes College 1893-1900 before joining the Sudan Civil Administration.

FORBES, MR, CHARLES WILLIAM, D.L., J.P., died at Daley, Kirkcudbrightshire, on July 31, aged 76. Educated at Eton and Christ Church, Oxford, he was not in either XI. Captained Stirling County 1896-1909.

FOX, LIEUT.-COLONEL RAYMOND WODEHOUSE, died at Ticehurst, Sussex, August 21, aged 75. In the Wellington eleven 1889-91, he was wicket-keeper for Oxford University 1897-98 and sometimes for Sussex. Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

FRANCIS, MR. GUY. M.B.E., who died in May, at Wynne's Park, Denbigh, aged 87, played for Gloucestershire occasionally during the years 1884 to 1888, scoring altogether 670 runs, average 12.46.

GARNIER, MR, GEORGE RONALD, died after a long illness at Shropham Hall, Norfolk, on March 9, aged 67. Played for Sherborne 1898-99, and in Oxford Freshmen's Match, 1900. Won the 120 yards hurdles in University sports in 1902 and 1903.

HEMMERDE, MR. E. G., K.C., Recorder of Liverpool from 1909, died suddenly at Beaufort Gardens, Kensington, on May 24, having come from Liverpool four days previously. A Londoner by birth, he played cricket for Winchester in 1890, was a good athlete and in 1900 won the Diamond Sculls at Henley.

HILL, MR. MERVYN LLEWELLYN, who died in London on February 28, aged 45, was a wicket-keeper of considerable ability. He helped Eton beat Harrow by nine wickets at Lord's in 1920; also played for Lord's Schools and in several trial games at Cambridge, but did not get his Blue. He played for Somerset from 1925 for some years. In the winter of 1926 he was a member of the M.C.C. team captained by A. E. R. Gilligan that went through the tour of India without suffering defeat.

KEMPIS, MR. GEORGE STEPHEN, died at Scottburgh, Natal, in March. He played a few times for Transvaal in Currie Cup matches and was a member of the first South African team that toured England in 1894. Born at Port Elizabeth on November 25, 1871, he was a younger brother of G. A. Kempis, who played in the first England and South Africa match, but died shortly afterwards.

LA FONTAINE, MR. WILFRED EDWARD JAMES, died at Moda, Istanbul, on January 16, aged 71. Harrow 1895. Agent at Istanbul for the Indo-European Telegraph Coy.

LANE, MR, A. F., who played at different periods from 1919 to 1929 for Warwickshire and Worcestershire, was killed near Stratford-on-Avon on January 29 when his car mounted the grass verge of the roadway and crashed into a hedge. His most valuable performance in first-class cricket was at Leyton in May 1929; going in number 10, he scored 70 and 60 not out, his good batting gaining the first victory for Worcestershire since June 1927. One of the best amateur cricketers in the Midlands, he was known familiarly as "Spinney."

LANGLEY, MR. COLIN KENDALL, died at Leamington, June 26, aged 59. In the Radley eleven 1905. Trial matches at Oxford 1909. A fast bowler, he played occasionally for Warwickshire 1908-14. In 1912 at Edgbaston he took eight Worcestershire wickets for 29 runs. Chairman of Committee and Hon. Secretary of the County Club at the time of his death.

LEATHAM, MR. ALBERT EDWARD, died at Christchurch, New Zealand, on July 13, aged 88. Educated at Eton, he did not play in the eleven, but occasionally for Gloucestershire. Member of G. F. Vernon's team in India 1889-90 and of Lord Hawke's team in India three years later. He also went to New Zealand in 1902-03. Played for Yorkshire Gentlemen, East Gloucester and Incogniti clubs.

LEVESON GOWER, MR. GRANVILLE CHARLES GRESHAM, J.P., died on December 4, aged 83. At Eton he failed to get into the eleven but played for Free Foresters, I Zingari and M.C.C., besides serving on the Surrey club committee. Senior member of the family of which his younger brother, H. D. G. Leveson Gower, has taken chief cricket honours, Granville lived at Limpsfield and was Deputy Lieutenant of Surrey.

MCMILLAN, MR. QUINTIN, died at Randfontein, Transvaal, on July 3, aged 44. A slow leg spin and googly bowler and free scoring batsman, he played in thirteen Test Matches for South Africa at home and in England, Australia and New Zealand, scoring 306 runs, average 18.00 and taking 36 wickets, average 34.52. Born near Johannesburg on June 23, 1904, he played for Transvaal in 1928, when he scored 61 and took nine wickets in his first match, and then scored 185 not out against Orange Free State, setting up a South African fourth wicket record of 265 with H. B. Cameron.

Chosen for the 1929 South African team to England, he enjoyed a successful tour, scoring 749 runs, average 26.75 and taking most wickets--91, average 25.45--in first-class matches. After playing in all five Test Matches against A. P. F. Chapman's M.C.C Team in South Africa in 1930-31 he toured Australia and New Zealand the following season, taking 71 wickets in all first-class matches, including nine for 53 in an innings against South Australia. At the end of this tour McMillan retired for business reasons from first-class cricket. His career, which lasted for little more than three years, consisted of two overseas tours and only nine first-class matches (five of them Tests) in South Africa. His final record in big cricket was 1,607 runs, average 26.78 and 189 wickets, average 26.63.

MORRISON, MR. CHARLES S., a member of the West Indies team which toured England in 1906, died at Kingston, Jamaica, on November 25.

NICHOLLS, MR. RICHARD WILLIAM, died at Eastbourne, January 22, aged 72. Rugby eleven 1892-93; played occasionally for Middlesex 1896-1904. In June 1899 he and W. Roche, an Australian, made 230 for the last wicket against Kent at Lord's--then the best tenth wicket stand in first-class cricket. Nicholls scored 154. Nine men were out for 55 when he was joined by Roche. Middlesex won the match by 118 runs; J. T. Hearne and A. E. Trott each took eight wickets in a remarkable game.

O'BRIEN, SIR TIMOTHY CAREW, Third Baronet, who at the time of his passing was the Senior Test player in England against Australia, died in the Isle of Man on December 9, aged 87. Born in Dublin on November 5, 1861, he was educated at Downside, always a good cricket school, and he became qualified for Middlesex when at St. Charles College, Notting Hill, but he did not reveal his full batting ability until going up to Oxford in 1884. Taking this step for the purpose of cricket, he fulfilled his ambition by at once being given his Blue by M. C. Kemp, his senior by about two months.

He started against the Australians and, playing a brilliant innings of 92, was largely responsible for defeating the visitors by seven wickets, the only victory gained by Oxford over an Australian team. With 72 for M.C.C. at Lord's he showed to equal advantage and again helped to beat the Australians, but when he played for England against Australia at Manchester that season and at Lord's four years later, he did little in low scoring matches.

During a long career lasting until 1898, O'Brien was one of the most attractive and valuable amateur batsmen in the country. He used his height and powerful build with great effect in forcing the game and played many notable innings for Middlesex, M.C.C. and Gentlemen. He went to Australia with the team captained by G. F. Vernon in 1887-88 and to South Africa with Lord Hawke's side in the winter of 1895.

Strangely enough he failed utterly in his first University match, being bowled in each innings without scoring; yet Oxford won by seven wickets, but next year, 1885, when Cambridge won by a similar margin, O'Brien made 44 and 28. By a remarkable coincidence Sir C. A. Smith, who died eleven days after O'Brien, played in the same matches. He failed to score in 1884, being twice not out, and took two wickets; next year Smith scored 23 in a valuable last-wicket stand and with six wickets for 81 assisted materially in the Cambridge victory.

For Middlesex O'Brien scored 7,222 runs at an average of 30, with highest innings 202 against Sussex in 1895 at Hove, where he and R. Slade Lucas put on 338 in three hours twenty minutes. A more notable performance was against Yorkshire at Lord's in June 1889, when Middlesex were set to make 280 in little more than three hours and a half. For a time everything pointed to a tame finish, but with about ninety minutes left and 151 wanted, O'Brien went in and hit up a hundred in eighty minutes; the last 83 runs came in 35 minutes and Middlesex won by four wickets, ten minutes from time. This brilliant display followed 92 by O'Brien in the first innings. That match created a record for heavy scoring in England, the aggregate being 1,295 runs; there were then five balls to the over.

I saw O'Brien play a fine innings of 110 not out at Taunton against Somerset in August 1894 and Middlesex won a great match by 19 runs--that was the first occasion on which P. F. Warner appeared for Middlesex. Some years after giving up first-class cricket, O'Brien, when nearly 53 years of age. played for Lionel Robinson's eleven against Oxford at Attleborough in 1914 and scored 90 and 111 in splendid style.

Sir Timothy married in 1885 Gundrede Annette Teresa, daughter of Sir Humphrey de Trafford, and there were two sons and eight daughters of the marriage. The elder son, Timothy John Aloysius, was killed in action during the 1914-18 war, and the baronetcy passed to the younger son Robert Rollo Gillespie O'Brien.--H.P.

ORFORD, MR. LEWIS ALFRED, died at Crumpsall, Manchester, January 18, aged 82. Played for Uppingham 1881-83 and kept wicket for Cambridge 1886 and 1887.

PARKIN, MR. INGLEWOOD URBAN, died at Ainstable, Cumberland,November 7. Educated at Eton and Oxford, he was not in either eleven. Member of Oxford Authentics. Toured United States and Canada with B. J. T. Bosanquet's team as wicket-keeper in 1901.

PERCY, MR. ROBERT HENRY GILBERT, who died at Johannesburg on August 31, aged 63, played occasionally for Griqualand West from 1906 to 1923, latterly keeping wicket. Against Orange Free State at Bloemfontein in December 1922, besides scoring 53, he dismissed six opponents, three caught and three stumped.

REID, MR. ALLAN, who died at Cape Town on October 31, aged 71, was a member of the South African team which toured England in 1901. A punishing batsman, he scored 710 runs, average 23.66, in all matches, his highest innings being 77 not out made in 70 minutes against Kent. He played regularly for Western Province from 1897 to 1909, and in Currie Cup matches averaged 17.07 with an aggregate of 461 runs. His brother, Norman Reid, played for South Africa in 1921.

ROBINSON, CANON CYRIL DEASON, a notable South African wicket-keeper,died at Kearsney, Natal, on August 26, aged 75. He never played in a Test Match, but was reserve wicket-keeper and vice-captain of the strong South African team that toured England in 1907 under P. W. Sherwell. Born at Durban on July 18, 1873, he played against W. W. Read's English team of 1891-92 while still at school. Proceeding to England, he played in several matches for Cambridge University in 1895 and 1896, but failed to obtain his Blue. He appeared for Buckinghamshire and was a member of Frank Mitchell's team which visited America in 1895. On returning to South Africa, he frequently kept wicket for Natal sides until the First World War, and, as late as January 1923, captained the Natal Northern Districts Eleven that opposed the M.C.C. team.

ROGERS, COLONEL WALTER LACY, D.S.O., died in London on February 10, aged 68. Rugby School, 1897. Rugby football for Oxford in 1898 and 1900, and for England v. Wales 1905.

ROWLANDS, MR. WILLIAM HENRY, who died suddenly at Bristol on June 30, aged 64, played for Gloucestershire from 1901 to 1928 and captained the side in his last two seasons. He scored 3,248 runs in first-class matches, average 16.48. In his best year, 1921, his aggregate reached 1,014, average 22.04.

SCOTT, THE HON. OSMUND, third son of the late Earl of Eldon, died in London, September 9, aged 72. Played sometimes for Gloucestershire. Played golf for England v. Scotland in the first international match at Hoylake 1902, and for a few years after. In 1905 at Prestwick he lost to Gordon Barry in the final of the Amateur Golf Championship.

SHERWELL, MR. PERCY WILLIAM, captain of the South African side which visited England in 1907 and played the first series of Tests in this country, died at Buluwayo, Southern Rhodesia, on April 17. Born on August 17, 1880, at Isipingo, Natal, he was 67 years old. Brought to England in childhood, he was educated at Bedford County School and Royal School of Mines, Camborne. He played for Cornwall before going to the Transvaal, where he obtained an important position in the mining industry. This work interrupted his cricket after 1907, but altogether he captained South Africa in 13 Test Matches; five against England in 1905-06, four being won, three next year against England, who won at Leeds, the other two being drawn. Of five against Australia, 1910-11, South Africa won the match at Adelaide by 38 runs, but lost the other four. In these encounters Sherwell caught 22 men and stumped 16; in two of the matches against Australia he allowed only four byes, all off one ball, in four innings while 1,479 runs were scored and when Australia scored 578 in an innings he conceded only four byes.

In his first Test Match, the memorable occasion at Johannesburg in January 1906 which resulted in victory for South Africa, he went in last and with A. D. Nourse steadily knocked off the 45 runs then wanted to win, South Africa gaining their first victory over England. Sherwell's share was 22.

Another last wicket stand, 94 with A. E. Vogler, helped South Africa to a great triumph at Cape Town by an innings and 16 runs, but by far his best batting performance was at Lord's in July 1907. Because of the uncertain form of his side, Sherwell promoted himself to opening batsman and after being run out he gave a great display when South Africa followed-on, scoring 115 out of 153 before he played on after an hour and three-quarters of glorious batting. The late cut was his best stroke in a chanceless display. To quote 1947 Wisden--Sherwell was "Strong to captain, to keep the wicket and the England fielders on the run." He was on the Selection Committee that chose the South African touring teams of 1907, 1912 and 1924 and, as N. S. Curnow added in his valuable information, Sherwell was South African lawn tennis singles champion in 1904 and represented his country against England in 1908-09.

STALLYBRASS, DR. WILLIAM TEULON SWAN, vice-chancellor of Oxford University and Principal of Brasenose College, died on October 28, aged 64. He was Hon. Treasurer of the Oxford University cricket club for over twenty years until his retirement in 1946. He played for Brasenose College second eleven as a young man and enjoyed organising tours for the College Wanderers over all parts of England and sometimes abroad. Educated at Westminster School and Christ Church College, he was a good right-hand slow bowler and loved the game of which he gained such valuable knowledge that many an Oxford Blue owed his advancement as a player to the Doctor's sound advice and intimate talks on cricket.

STEPHEN, MR. NORMAN KENNETH, died in London, July 4, aged 83. Played for Fettes 1882-84, and in four matches for Cambridge University in 1889 but did not get his Blue. Twice winner of the Porson prize and Powis medal; Craven Scholar 1887. Chancellor's medallist 1888, and he obtained first classes in both parts of the classical tripos. Assistant Master at Harrow from 1883; he retired in 1925.

STUDD, MR. REGINALD AUGUSTUS, who died on February 3, aged 74, was the youngest of six brothers of distinction in Eton cricket. Three of them captained Cambridge in this order, G. B., C. T., and J. E. K. consecutively, 1882 to 1884, and were all in the 1882 side which beat Oxford by seven wickets at Lord's, a margin which was repeated five times in the next seven years, Oxford winning two of these games. R. A. Studd played for Cambridge in 1895, when a very powerful Oxford eleven suffered defeat by 134 runs. He appeared occasionally for Hampshire and went to America in September 1895 with a side captained by Frank Mitchell, then Cambridge Captain elect.

SYMES-THOMPSON, REV. FRANCIS, died in Devonshire on March 3, aged 73. Played for Harrow 1894 and Christ Church, Oxford.

THOMPSON, MR. ROBERT HUGH, died at Harrow School on May 28, in his 18th year. For Harrow in 1947 he scored 71 at Lord's against Eton. Only surviving son of R. W. Thompson, Aysgarth School, Bedale.

TURNER, LIEUT.-COLONEL WALTER MARTIN FITZHERBERT, R.A., died suddenly at Harrow, February 1, aged 66. Wellington captain in 1897. A good bat. Played occasionally for Essex 1899-1923, scoring 2,017 runs, average 28.01. Younger brother of A. J. Turner.

WAKEFIELD, MR. JACOB, died at Milnthorpe, Westmorland, November 15, aged 88. Played for Charterhouse 1877-78. One of the founders of Northern Nomads C.C. Previous to 1914 he arranged an annual cricket week at Sedgwick House, Kendal.

WALMSLEY MR. EDGAR, a member of the Surrey County Club Committee, and very well known at The Oval because of his great size--height 6 feet, weight 24 stone, as he admitted--died on September 1, aged 60. He played with W. G. Grace when London County Club was no longer first-class.

WATSON, THE HON. ADAM GEORGE, died at Edinburgh, May 30, aged 72. Educated at Winchester and Edinburgh University he played for Grange C.C. and Scotland. Son of the late Baron Watson, of Thankerton. Writer to the Signet.

WEATHERBY, MR. JOHN HARRY, died on February 6, aged 77. Winchester 118 and 1888.


BAKER, MR. CLARE VAUGHAN, died at Betchworth, Surrey, on December 7, aged 62. Harrow eleven 1905. Played for Middlesex occasionally from 1906-12. Member of London Stock Exchange. In Great War 1914-18 Lt. R.G.A.

BENNET, MR. J. H., played for Canterbury from 1898 to 1920, and for New Zealand against M.C.C. in 1906-07, Australia in 1909-10 and 1913-14. A good length medium-pace bowler, his record showed 259 wickets for 4,737 runs.

BRADBY, MR. HENRY CHRISTOPHER, died at Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire, June 28, aged 78, Played for Rugby 1885-87, ending as captain 1887. Oxford eleven 1890. For 37 years master at Rugby School.

CARLISLE, MR. DOUGLAS, died at Cheltenham, October 3, aged 77. Winchester eleven 1888.

CROOM, ARTHUR J., who died on August 16, aged 50, played for Warwickshire from 1922 to 1939. Sound and stylish, he steadily improved from a modest start and became opening batsman with such success that he scored over a thousand runs each season from 1927, except in 1936, the year of his benefit match, which unfortunately was ruined by rain. He played his highest innings, 211, against Worcestershire at Edgbaston in 1934, Norman Kilner helping in a first-wicket stand of 272. That season Croom's 1,402 was the highest aggregate for the County. The most regular playing member of the team in 1939, he scored 1,112 runs averaging over 30; only Dollery and R. E. S. Wyatt gained higher averages. Born on May 23, 1897, he was too old to resume his place in the side when the war ceased.

FAWCUS, LIEUT.-GENERAL SIR HAROLD BEN, K.C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., D.C.L., died at Hillingdon, Middlesex, on October 24, aged 71. Played for Durham 1892-94 (captain), and Durham University for five years. R.A.M.C. and Director General Army Services 1929-34.

GRELLET, LIEUT.-COLONEL REGINALD CHARLES, D.S.O., died suddenly at West Hartlepool on November 29, aged 67. Played for Bedford Grammar School 1894-99 and Herts County between 1900-11.

JOHNSTON, MR. W., who died in August, played for Otago from 1889 to 1903.

LAING, MR. JOHN M., who died in Toronto on November 1, aged 74, was probably the best all-round cricketer who ever played for Canada. During ten years, from 1891, no team was representative without him. At a time when hundreds were comparatively rare he scored eleven centuries, and used his height -6 feet 4 inches--as a very effective bowler. In nine matches for Canada against United States, 63 wickets fell to him for 653 runs, his best performances being in 1895, seven wickets for 21 runs, in 1896 six for 17 runs and eight for 37--fourteen for 54 runs in the match. He played against many touring teams, including Lord Hawke's sides in 1891 and 1894, Ireland in 1892, Australians in 1893, Oxford and Cambridge eleven in 1895. While living in Chicago in 1903, he scored 249 for Wanderers against Douglas Park. He was a barrister by profession.

MALDEN, MR. EUSTACE, died at Rottingdean on December 3, aged 84. He played for Haileybury 1881-82, Hertforshire County 1887-88 and for Kent 1892-93.

ORCHARD, MR. D. A., who died in April 1947, aged 71, first played for Canterbury against the Fijian touring team of 1894-5 and last played for the province in 1913. He was a selector and manager of the 1913-14 side in Australia. A left-handed batsman and bowler, he hit very hard. A noted Rugby football player he was in the New Zealand sides of 1896 and 1897.

PARK, DR. Roy L., who died on January 24, aged 54, scored 2,714 runs, average 40.54 for Victoria. In the season 1919-20 he averaged 83.71, with aggregate 586 and highest score 228, in the Sheffield Shield Competition, revived after the war. Only New South Wales, Victoria and South Australia competed, and Park was described as the best batsman in Australia. In 1921 at Melbourne in his only Test match against England he was bowled first ball by H. Howell. He was father-in-law of I. W. Johnson of the 1948 Australian team in England.

RAMSAY, MR. MARMADUKE FRANCIS, died at Littlebourne, Canterbury, on December 31, aged 87, Harrow XI 1878-79. Trinity College, Cambridge. After sheep farming in Queensland he resided at Eastry, Kent.

ROBINSON, MR. C. W., who first represented Wellington in 1911-12, died on May 22, aged 55. A fast bowler, he was a member of the 1913-14 New Zealand team, and played in some Service matches in England during the first World War.

SEWELL, REV. ARTHUR, died at Cambridge on November 13, in his 107th year. Radley XI 1859 and 1860. Rowed in the eight. At the time of his death was the oldest clergyman of the Church of England, the oldest Radleian and the oldest member of Oxford University. Chaplain of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem since 1871. Assistant Master at Malvern 1866-71. Actively engaged in Church work till 1935.

STEWART-BROWN, MR. HENRY, died at Northwich, Cheshire, on December 9, aged 84. Harrow XI 1882,

WACE, MR. HENRY, died at Bath on November 5, aged 94. He played cricket for Shrewsbury in 1872, and rowed in the boat. Went to St. John's, Cambridge, and was in the Rugby fifteen 1873 and 1874. Played for England against Scotland at Association football in 1878 and 1879, when he was captain, and against Wales in 1879. He was in the Wanderers F.A. Cup winning team in 1877 and 1878, the last two of five successes by that club. Exceptional scholastic achievements at Cambridge: winning the Porson Prize 1873-75, Powis Medal 1873-74, Senior Chancellor's Medal 1876, Craven Scholar 1874, Senior Classic 1876. Fellow' of St. John's, Cambridge. Barrister Inner Temple 1879.

WOOD, MR. ARTHUR MACHIN, died in Philadelphia on August 25, aged 86. Played for Notts in 1878, and Derbyshire in 1879 before going to United States, where he became one of the best batsmen for Gentlemen of Philadelphia who visited England in 1897, 1903 and 1908.


ROBINSON, MR. G, E., an Oxford Blue 1881 to 1883; died on November 30, 1944, at Acton, near Newcastle, Staffordshire. Born on March 13, 1861, he was 83 years old. He bowled fast left hand with a natural break back. Mr. Dover Betham advised me of his death, which removes all doubt as to M. C. Kemp being the oldest living University Blue. Contemporary with Robinson at Oxford, Kemp kept wicket for Kent until 1895. Kemp was born on September 7, 1861.

PATRICK, MR. W. R., who died in August 1946, aged 58, represented Canterbury from 1905 to 1927, except in the season 1917-18, when he played for Otago and captained Canterbury for several years. After captaining the 1925-26 New Zealand team in Australia, he helped to select the 1927 team for England. A stylish batsman, he was especially strong in off-side strokes.

© John Wisden & Co