Obituaries in 1959

ABDUL AZIZ, who died, aged 17, during the Final of the Quaid-a-Azam Trophy, played January 16-21, was a Karachi wicket-keeper. After being struck over the heart by a slow off-break from Dildwar Awan, the Combined Services bowler, he was preparing to receive the next ball when he fell to the ground. He died on the way to hospital without recovering consciousness. This was the first incident of its kind in the Indo-Pakistan sub-continent. Abdul Aziz was a student at S.M. College and an employee of the State Bank.

ARNDT, MR. LAWRENCE HENRY, who died at Epsom on October 3, aged 72, played for St. Thomas's College, Ceylon, for three years from 1904. When captain in 1906, he set up a school record by taking eight wickets for 38 runs and six for 17 against Royal School.

AUTY, MR. KARL ANDRE, who died in Chicago on November 30, aged 81, was the owner of an outstanding cricket book collection. Educated at Wheelwright Grammar School, Dewsbury, and on H.M.S. Conway Training Ship, he accomplished a Military and General course at the Sorbonne, Paris, and obtained a B.Sc. at Nottingham. He was an active participant in cricket until his late sixties in New England, B.C., and in North America. In the thirties he published a weekly newspaper, The British American, and for some years issued a cricket annual containing full details of Chicago cricket. He was celebrated for his Christmas cards, one of which included the following information: "It is interesting to note that a Surrey (England) team on its way to play exhibition games in Paris in 1789 was at Dover ready for the crossing, but turned back when met there by their host, the Duke of Dorset, H. B. M. Ambassador, who had fled from Paris before the coming outbreak of the French Revolution. Otherwise this would have been the first team ever to leave Britain's shores to play cricket abroad, thus depriving the 1859 team of that distinction."

BANCROFT, WILLIAM J., who died at Swansea on March 3, the day after his 88th birthday, was a leading batsman in Minor Counties matches for Glamorgan between 1897 and 1914, scoring a number of centuries, the highest of which was 207 in 1904. When full-back for Swansea, "Billy" Bancroft made 33 successive International appearances for Wales in Rugby football International matches, the first at the age of 18 in 1890 and the last in 1901. He claimed to have taken every penalty and every place-kick for his country during that time.

BEAUFORD, MAJOR FRANK SOMERVILLE, who died on April 12, aged 77, took an active part in cricket for over 60 years. He was an Eton Rambler and played for Gentlemen of Shropshire and for Gentlemen of Suffolk, of which club he was honorary secretary for 26 years.

BECKFORD, MR. WILFRED GEORGE, who died in July, aged 50, played as an attractive left-hand batsman for Jamaica from 1927 to 1936. Well known as "W.G.," he appeared for Jamaica before G. Headley, but by 1928 the pair became known as "The Chocolate Babes," so marked was the resemblance between them. Beckford's highest score in first-class cricket was 74 against Mr. (later Sir) Julien Cahn's XI in 1928-29; but his two finest innings were 65 and 54 from the Yorkshire bowling in 1935-36, when his off-driving was superb.

BODDAM, MR. EDMOND TUDOR, who died in Hobart on September 9, aged 79, was a prominent cricketer in Tasmania in the years immediately preceding the First World War. A sound, attractive batsman, he made his highest score in first-class cricket, 52, against the M.C.C. touring team of 1911-12, when P. F. Warner, the chosen captain, dropped out of the side through illness and handed over the leadership to J. W. H. T. Douglas. Boddam, also a useful medium-pace bowler, was reputed to be the first to employ "swerve" in Tasmania.

BRICE, MR. W. STANLEY, who died in New Zealand on May 6, aged 79, was from 1902 to 1935 a noted all-round cricketer for Wellington and Petone United and five times appeared for New Zealand. In senior cricket he scored 8,349 runs, average 26.25, his highest innings being 228, and with fast bowling took 1,173 wickets for 13.65 runs each. His big hitting earned him the nickname of "Sixer." He served as a selector for both Wellington and New Zealand. As a wing-forward, he played Rugby Union football for Wellington and in 1908 he founded the Rugby League game in Wellington.

CARMICHAEL, MR. EVELYN GEORGE MASSEY, who died on July 14, aged 88, was educated at Harrow and Oxford without gaining distinction there at cricket. He played for Worcestershire before the county achieved first-class status.

CARRIS, MR. HAROLD EDWARD, who died after a long illness on July 29, aged 50, was in the Mill Hill XI as an all-rounder from 1925 to 1927. He got his Blue for Cambridge in 1930, in which season he made his highest score in first-class cricket, 98, for the University against H. D. G. Leveson Gower's XI, at Eastbourne. He and F. R. Brown added 202 for the fifth wicket, a record which stood for more than 20 years. A free-scoring left-hander, Carris played a few times for Middlesex between 1928 and 1933. He played as a wing three-quarter in the University Rugby match of 1929 and also assisted Middlesex.

CLARK, MR. HOWARD P., who died on January 28, aged 63, was President of the Club Cricket Conference. A member of Hornsey C.C., he served on the Middlesex C.C.C. executive committee and was chairman of the Finchley Cricket School.

DIXIE-SMITH, MR. JOHN WILLOUGHBY, who died on October 2, aged 77, played in two matches for Leicestershire in 1921 and appeared for the Second XI between 1926 and 1928.

ELLIS, MR. REGINALD NEWNHAM, who died in Melbourne on May 26, aged 68, played in six Sheffield Shield matches for Victoria between 1928 and 1930. In his second game he hit 107 not out against Queensland. As a young man he played with Victor Trumper for Gordon C.C., Sydney. He also represented Victoria at bowls.

FOSTER, MR. BASIL S., who died in Hillingdon Hospital on September 28, aged 77, was one of the brothers who did so much for Worcestershire in the early part of the century that the county became known in cncketing circles as Fostershire." He also appeared on occasion for Middlesex. As an actor, he gained prominence on the London stage and later took up theatrical management.

GOODRICK, ASHLEY, who died suddenly on January 6, played for Durham County for several seasons after the First World War, appearing for them against Warwick Armstrong's 1921 Australian team. He also gained prominence for Darlington in League cricket.

HAYWARD, MR. CLAUDE SOMERSET BASIL, who died on September 10, was in the Bradfield XI from 1899 to 1901. An all-rounder, he hit 140 against Radley in the last season. For many years he was a housemaster at Bradfield.

HIGGS, MR. KENNETH ALAN, who died at Hayward's Heath on January 21, aged 72, achieved the rare feat of hitting a century, 101, for Sussex against Worcestershire at Hove in 1920, upon the occasion of his first appearance in a first-class match. He played for Sussex from 1920 to 1924, scoring 1,693 runs, average 26.65. His highest innings was 111 from the Warwickshire bowling at Hove in 1921, he and W. J. Malden scoring so freely that they put on 188 for the third wicket in two hours. He was a Vice-President of the County Club.

HILL, MR. RICHARD HAMILTON, who died on October 5, aged 58, was in the Winchester XI in 1918 and 1919, being contemporary with such players as D. R. Jardine and C. T. Ashton. An opening batsman, he headed the averages in 1918, scoring 362 runs at 51.71 per innings. Though taking part in trials, he did not get a cricket Blue at Cambridge, but he represented the University at royal tennis and, from 1920 to 1922, at rackets. He appeared for Middlesex for several seasons, his highest score being 50 against Gloucestershire at Bristol in 1927, he and J. W. Hearne sharing in a sixth-wicket stand of 147. For many years he reported rackets, lawn tennis and cricket for The Times.

HOUGH, CAPTAIN GERALD DE LISLE, who died on September 29, aged 65, played for Kent in 1919 and 1920. In the XI at Winchester from 1911 to 1913, he was captain in the last year. After service in the First World War with the Royal West Kent Regiment, he appeared for the county before becoming a master for ten years at Bradfield College. In 1936 he took over the position first of manager and later secretary to the Kent club, continuing till ill-health compelled his resignation in 1949. An aggressive batsman and slow off-break bowler, he took a wicket with the first ball he sent down in first-class cricket, but that was his only success for, handicapped by a war-time wound in the arm, he rarely bowled afterwards. It was suggested on occasion that his name should be included in Wisden in the list of those who have scored a century upon debut in first-class cricket, for he hit 30 not out and 87 not out for Lionel Robinson's XI against the Australian Imperial Forces team of 1919.

HUNT, GEORGE, who died on January 22, aged 62, played as an all-rounder for Somerset from 1921 to 1931, scoring 4,952 runs, average 15.42, and taking with right-arm spin bowling 386 wickets, average 32.88. A hard driver, he hit his one century against Glamorgan at Weston-Super-Mare in 1928, scoring 101 out of 138. That was his most successful season as a run-getter, for in all matches he registered 997 runs. Though often expensive as a bowler, he dismissed seven Sussex batsmen for 61 rurs at Bath in 1926. A splendid fieldsman at short leg, he held 188 catches. In his first season with the county he had the experience of being in the side when J. C. White took all ten Worcestershire wickets for 76 runs at Worcester and when T. Rushby, for Surrey at Taunton, obtained all ten Somerset wickets at a cost of 43 runs. After leaving first-class cricket, he joined Kilmarnock C.C.

HYMAN, MR. WILLIAM, who died in February, aged 83, earned fame as a hard-hitting batsman who, for Bath Cricket Association against Thornbury at Thombury in 1902, hit 359 not out in 100 minutes in a total of 466 for six wickets. He was specially severe upon E. M. Grace, brother of "W. G.," whom he thirty-two times hit for 6 and punished for 62 runs in two following overs. "Billy" Hyman made 27 appearances for Somerset between 1900 and 1914, his highest innings being 110 against Sussex at Bath in 1913 when he and P. R. Johnson added 159 for the second wicket. He and his three brothers all played Association football for Radstock Town and he also turned out for Bath City and Somerset.

ILLMAN, Mr. JOHN CECIL, who died suddenly on April 15, aged 57, was chairman of Lincolnshire C.C.C.

IMLAY, MR. ALAN DURANT, who died on July 3, aged 74, captained Clifton before gaining a Blue as wicket-keeper for Cambridge in 1907, in which season he played for Gentlemen against Players at The Oval. Front 1905 to 1911 he made occasional appearances for Gloucestershire. He had been an assistant master and bursar at Clifton.

JAMES, MR. ARTHUR, who died on February 19, aged 87, was a vice-president and one-time chairman of Glamorgan.

JENNINGS, GEORGE A., who died in July, played occasionally as a slow left-arm bowler for Warwickshire from 1923 to 1925. He later succeeded his father as coach at Marlborough, a position he held for more than thirty years.

JOHNSON. MR. PETER RANDALL, who died on July 1, aged 78, was in the Eton XI in 1897 and appeared for Cambridge against Oxford at Lord's in 1901. A stylish batsman of upright stance, specially strong in off-side strokes, he assisted Somerset from 1902 to 1927 and toured Australia and New Zealand with Lord Hawke's team captained by P. F. Warner in 1902-3. During his first-class career he obtained 12,041 runs, average 24.82. Five times he headed the Somerset batting averages, his best season being that of 1921, when he hit 961 runs, average 30.03, and in scoring 163 against Worcestershire equalled his feat against the same county on the same ground fifteen years earlier. He enjoyed a wonderful run of success in 1908 when, in successive matches, he made 164 and 131 against Middlesex at Taunton, 117 and 19 v. Hampshire at Southampton and 31 and 126 v. Kent at Taunton.

KENNEDY, ALEXANDER STUART, who died on November 15, aged 68, was prominent as an all-rounder for Hampshire between 1907 and 1936, in which time he took 2,874 wickets--2,549 for his county, a record--for 21.24 runs each, scored 16,496 runs, including ten centuries, average 18.54, and held 500 catches. He made his first appearance for the county when 16, but did not gain a regular place in the team till 1909. Sturdily built, he bowled at medium pace with a high delivery and in-swing which, combined with spin and a marked accuracy of length, made him difficult to master.

In fifteen seasons, "Alec" Kennedy dismissed over 100 batsmen, his best summer being that of 1922 when his victims numbered 205. For many years he and J. Newman formed the backbone of the Hampshire attack and this pair each performed the "cricketer's double" five times. Among Kennedy's best performances were all ten wickets for 37 runs for the Players, for whom he appeared in 16 matches, in the first innings of the Gentlemen at The Oval in 1927; nine for 33 v. Lancashire at Liverpool, 1920; nine for 46 v. Derbyshire at Portsmouth, 1929; eight for 11 v. Glamorgan at Cardiff, 1921; and seven for 8 v. Warwickshire at Portsmouth, 1927, when he disposed of six men in 14 balls while conceding 4 runs. Forty-four times he took ten or more wickets in a match and against Somerset at Bath in 1922 earned figures of fourteen wickets for 116 runs. He achieved three "hat-tricks"--v. Gloucestershire in 1920 and 1924, both at Southampton, and v. Somerset at Bath in 1920.

A sound batsman, he hit his highest innings, 163 not out, from the Warwickshire bowling at Portsmouth in 1923 and as he also obtained nine wickets for 77 runs, played a big part in success for Hampshire by 244 runs. In the game with Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge two years earlier, he carried his bat through the innings for 152.

He took part in all five Test matches in South Africa for F. T. Mann's team of 1922-23, heading the bowling with figures of 31 wickets, average 19.32. With analyses of two for 46 and five for 76 he, together with A. C. Russell, of Essex, who came from a sick-bed to play his second century of the match, he had much to do with victory in the final Test and the rubber. After his retirement he was for a time coach at Cheltenham College and from 1947 to 1954 coached in South Africa.

H. L. V. Day, who played with him in the Hampshire team, in a tribute, said: "There was never a greater hearted trier than Kennedy, nor was there a fairer bowler."

KING, MR. CHARLES STANLEY, who died in Hobart on April 26, aged 69, was a prominent Tasmanian club cricketer who represented South against North in 1927. He was first Professor of History at the University of Tasmania.

KINGSTON, THE REV. GEORGE HERBERT, who died in a Rugby hospital on February 17, aged 94, was one of several brothers who played cricket for Northamptonshire and Rugby football for Northampton late in the 19th century. A story was told of him that, at the age of 11, he once bowled W. G. Grace and received a shilling from the Doctor in recognition of the performance.

LIDDLE, MR. JAMES RICHARD, who died at Cape Town on January 15, aged 29, after a long illness, was the finest left-arm slow howler produced by South Africa since N. B. F. ("Tufty") Mann. When 14, he distinguished himself by taking fifty-two wickets for 364 runs during Nuffield Week and he three times represented South African Schools. During his first-class career he played for Eastern Province, Orange Free State and Western Province. In eight seasons he dismissed 181 batsmen, taking on three occasions seven wickets in an innings. He achieved his best bowling figures, twelve wickets for 212 runs, and his highest innings, 77, in the same match, for Orange Free State against Rhodesia. During his most successful season, 1951-52, when he took forty wickets in six Currie Cup games, he was unlucky in missing through injury the final trial before the selection of the side to tour Australia and New Zealand. He was at one time Eastern Province junior lawn-tennis champion.

McKEGG, MR. TERENCE, who was accidentally shot dead while out with a party shooting hare on Shap Fell on October 4, aged 26, played for Cumberland between 1956 and 1959.

MERRET, SIR HERBERT, who died on October 3, aged 72, was President of Glamorgan from 1950. Knighted in the Birthday Honours List of 1950 for public service in South Wales, he was High Sheriff of Glamorgan in 1934. At one time he held nearly forty directorships.

MILLER, MR. AUDLEY MONTAGUE, who died on June 26, aged 89, was a capital all-rounder who captained Wiltshire for 25 years and also was honorary secretary. He played in a number of matches for M.C.C. and in 1895-96 was a member of the M.C.C. team in South Africa captained by Lord Hawke, playing in one Test match.

MOBBS, SIR ARTHUR NOEL, who died on November 25, aged 79, was in the Bedford Modern School XI as an all-rounder in 1897 and 1898, heading the batting averages in the second year. He also rowed for the School. His brother, Edgar, played Rugby football for England in 1909 and 1910.

MORDAUNT, MR. GERALD JOHN, who died on March 5, aged 86, played for Oxford against Cambridge from 1893 to 1896, being captain in 1895. He got his colours at Wellington when 15 and was in the XI from 1888 to 1892, captaining the side for the last three years. A free-scoring batsman, specially skilled in off-side strokes, he hit 264 not out in four and a half hours for Oxford against Sussex at Brighton in 1895, a match which yielded 1,410 runs--at that time an English first-class record. He was a magnificent fieldsman anywhere. In 1894 he made two appearances for Gentlemen against Players and also played in the Lord's match the following season. He visited America with Lord Hawke's team in 1894 and between 1895 and 1897 took part in 16 matches for Kent, his highest score for the county being 81 not out against Surrey at The Oval. He and R. H. Raphael won the Public Schools Racquets Challenge Cup in 1891 and he represented his University in the long jump against Cambridge in 1896.

NETHERSOLE, MR. NOEL NEWTON, who died at Kingston, Jamaica, on March 17, aged 55, was a good left-handed all-rounder who failed to get a Blue when going up to Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar in 1933. He played for Oxfordshire before returning home and captaining Jamaica for several seasons. From 1939 to 1955 "Crab" Nethcrsole served on the West Indies Board of Control and he had been a member of the House of Representatives since 1949.

NEWMAN, MR. DOUGLAS LEONARD, who died in a London hospital on September 11, aged 39, captained Middlesex II XI from 1954 to 1958, his best season being that of 1954 when he hit 465 runs, average 31.00, with 132 his highest innings. He made occasional appearances in County Championship matches in 1950 and 1951. A well-known club cricketer, he was captain of Winchmore Hill.

O'BRIEN, MR. ROBIN, who died on August 26, aged 26, played for Cambridge against Oxford in 1955 and 1956, his 146 in the first innings of the second game being the highest individual score for the Light Blues in the University match for 24 years. A capable opening batsman, he was in the Wellington XI from 1948 to 1951, heading the batting averages in three seasons and being captain in the last. He later played for Ireland. A games player with natural ability, O'Brien also gained his Blue at golf. After a serious illness and major operation in the early days of 1959 he played in the Halford Hewitt golf tournament at Deal and was largely responsible for Wellington winning the tournament for the first time.

PALMER, HERBERT, who died at Cambridge on March 19, aged 66, umpired Cambridge University matches at Fenner's for many years. He had been ill since collapsing before the start of the opening game at Fenner's the previous summer. A Yorkshireman by birth, "Harry" Palmer lost an arm in the First World War. For a brief period afterwards he was on the list of first-class umpires and later officiated in Minor Counties' fixtures.

PIGGOTT, MR. PERCY, Who died on November 20, aged 82, was for many years Cambridge University cricket and football correspondent to the Press Association, the Cricket Reporting Agency and several national newspapers. For over twenty years he contributed the foreword to the Cambridge section in Wisden. He had for a long time acted as team-manager to the University cricket team when they were on tour.

PLAYER. MR. JOHN ASHLEY, who died on December 7, aged 64, was President of Nottinghamshire in 1954 and 1955. He was a member of the board of directors of the Imperial Tobacco Company.

POPE. MR. CHARLES GEORGE, who died on January 31, aged 87, was a master at Harrow for 30 years. In the Harrow XI for three years, he was captain in the last, 1891, when he sent Eton in to bat on a rain-affected pitch and, by scoring 44 and 12 not out and taking seven wickets for 64 runs, he played a big part in victory by seven wickets. Going up to Trinity College, Cambridge, "C. G. P.," as he was widely known, got his Blue in 1894. Between 1892 and 1901 he appeared for Bedfordshire.

ROBINSON, MR. John James, who died on January 3, aged 86, was a "double Blue" for Cambridge. He played cricket against Oxford at Lord's in 1894 and took part as a forward in the University Rugby football match in 1892. He also played Rugby for Yorkshire and for England, gaining four International caps.

ROBINSON, MR. THEODORE, who died on October 4, aged 93, played in a few matches for Somerset between 1892 and 1894. He was a member of a cricketing family who from 1878 onwards fielded a Robinsons XI in an annual match against Flax Bourton.

SMITH, CLIFFORD JOHN, who died in June, aged 56, played as an all-rounder for Cambridgeshire from 1923 to 1950 and was on a number of occasions chosen for Minor Counties' representative teams. He was elected an honorary life-member of the County Club shortly before his death.

TAYLER, MR. CHARLES J., who died on April 3, aged 77, played in three matches for Gloucestershire in 1900 and 1901 and for many years assisted Cheltenham. At one time the Tayler family fielded a complete side and took part in a number of games.

TAYLOR, LIEUT.-COLONEL WILLIAM HERBERT, who died on May 26, aged 72, played for Worcestershire from 1909 to 1922. He captained the county in 1914 and again in 1919 when Worcestershire took no part in the Championship competition. Over six feet tall, "Bill" Taylor scored 1,778 runs, average 11.62, and with fast bowling took 160 wickets, average 35.83. He was a member of the County Committee at the time of his death. For many years he was joint Master of the Croome Hunt.

THOSEBY, MR. WILLIAM, who died in tragic circumstances on June 6, aged 58, played as opening batsman for Devon some 30 years ago when a master at Blundell's School.

WALDOCK, MR. FREDERIC ALEXANDER, who died in hospital at Taunton on July 4, aged 61, went from Uppingham to Oxford, for whom he played against Cambridge University in 1919 and 1920. He later took up residence in Ceylon, playing against the M.C.C. touring sides of 1927 and 1936, being captain in the latter year. A left-handed batsman, he was specially skilled in off-driving. He also gained prominence as a Rugby footballer in the position of stand-off half-back.

WHITING, CHARLES PERCIVAL, who died suddenly on January 14, aged 70, played as a fast bowler in a few matches for Yorkshire between 1914 and 1920.

WILSON, MAJOR JOHN PHILIP, who died on October 3, aged 70, played in a few matches for Yorkshire in 1911 and 1912. Educated at Harrow and Cambridge University, he was at one time well known as an amateur steeplechase jockey and he rode Double Chance to victory in the 1925 Grand National.

WRIGHT, ALBERT CHARLES, who died in Westminster Hospital on May 26, aged 63, played for Kent from 1921 to 1931. He had been ill for some time. A right-arm bowler considerably above medium pace, he took 596 wickets for the county at a cost of 24.32 runs each, among his best performances being six for 29 against Middlesex at Blackheath in 1926 and a precisely similar analyses against Somerset at Taunton the following season. In each of these summers his total victims exceeded 100. Against Warwickshire at Egbaston in 1925, he performed the `hat-trick.' A hard-hitting batsman, Wright obtained 3,258 runs, average 12.97, his highest innings being 81 against Essex at Gravesend in 1924, when he and A. L. Hilder, who hit 103 in his first county match, shared in an eighth wicket stand of 157 which still stands as a record for the county. He also bought off 122 catches.


BUTTERWORTH, MR. HENRY RHODES WHITTLE, who died on October 9, aged 49, played for Lancashire from 1929 to 1937. Scoring 106 against Sussex at Old Trafford in 1932, he shared with J. Iddon in a stand of 278, a record for the county. Educated at Rydal Mount, he got his Blue at Cambridge in 1929.

DIXON, MR. WYNYARD, who died on August 19, aged 84, was for more than 30 years a member of the Committee of Yorkshire C.C.C. and for the last 10 years a Vice-President. He was in the Rugby XI in 1890-91 being contemporary with Sir Pelham Warner.

GRENFELL, LIEUT.-COLONEL ARTHUR MORTON, who died on November 24, aged 85, kept wicket for Eton in 1892. He was awarded the D.S.O. during the First World War.

HALLAM, THOMAS HAYDN, who died at Christchurch, New Zealand, on November 24, aged 77, played in 10 matches for Derbyshire in 1906 and 1907. His highest innings was 68, in a total of 162, against Warwickshire at Edgbaston. Going to New Zealand in 1920, he appeared for Wellington and Wairarapa and for 25 years from 1923 was groundsman at Lancaster Park.

MONAGHAN, MR. HAROLD WYATT, who died on October 15, aged 72, played as a right-arm medium-paced bowler and left-handed batsman for Wellington and Canterbury in the early part of the century, and in 1905-6 was a member of the New Zealand team against Melbourne C.C. In Wellington's first match with the 1907-08 M.C.C. touring team, he took seven first-innings wickets for 50 runs. Educated at Wellington College and Victoria University, he had been Archdeacon of Timaru and of Rangitiki.

RANDELL, MR. ALFRED CHARLES, who died at Sydney on September 13, aged 74, played for Western Australia, whom he represented on the Australian Board of Control from 1946 to the time of his death.

© John Wisden & Co