Obituaries in 1910

H.M KING EDWARD VII died at Buckingham Palace on May 6th. As a small boy he received tuition at Windsor from F. Bell, of Cambridge, but it cannot be said that he ever showed much aptitude for the game. He played occasionally during his Oxford days, however, and, while he was staying at Madingley Hall, a special wicket was reserved for his use at Fenner's. He showed his interest in the game in many ways. When funds were being collected to pay off the pavilion debt at Fenner's, he contributed ten pounds at the same time promising to make up any amount required at the end of the term, and during one of the critical moments in the history of the M.C.C. was the largest contributor to the fund raised to pay for the freehold of Lord's. Furthermore, as Duke of Cornwal lhis late Majesty was for many years landlord of the Oval, and in several ways he showed his interest in the Surrey County C.C. His Majesty was born at Buckingham Palace on November 9th, 1841, and was therefore in his sixty-ninth year at the time of his death.

FREDERICK CLARENCE ALMOND was born at Great Bentley, in Essex, on October 7th, 1855, and died at Enfield on May 3rd. He was above the average as a batsman, was a useful slow bowler, and in the field generally stood point or mid-off. His first match for Essex was in 1883, and three years later he headed the county's averages with 27.25 for eight innings commenced, his highest score being 84 not out v. Derbyshire, at Leyton. In 1883 and 1884 he was engaged by Enfield, but in the following season went as coach to Elstree School, where he remained for several years.

THE REV. WILLIAM WHEELER ARCHER, for twenty-three years President of the Hampton Wick C.C., died on November 22nd at his Vicarage, in his sixty-sixth year.

MR. RICHARD N. ASTERLEY, for several years a well-known cricketer in the New York district, died at Bensonhurst, N.Y., on September 28th. He was born at Llanmyneck, Montgomeryshire October 29th, 1867, and was educated at Oswestry Grammar School.

MR. EDWARD BANKS, J.P., one of the oldest Kent cricketers died at Sholden Lodge, near Deal, on January 12th, aged 89. He was born in South Wales on August 12th, 1820, but moved into Kent before completing his second year. Ill-health limited his appearances in county cricket to ten matches between 1842 and 1846. In the last-mentioned year he appeared for the Gentlemen against the Players at Canterbury, and fielded at Lord's for Alfred Mynn in the first of his single wicket matches with Felix. Scores and Biographies (iii--159) says of him, " Batted in a good free style, and was a most excellent field." Fuller Pilch recalled that " I found him down Sandwich way, where his property lay. He and his youngest brother, Mr. William, were the quickest between the wickets I ever did see, and Mr. Edward was one of the smartest in the long-field. He was like a thorough-bred horse, for no matter how far the ball was off he would try ; and when I sang out ' Go to her, Mr. Edward ! Go to her ! ' he would outrun himself almost, and, as sure as ever he got his hands to her, the ball was like a rat in a trap." His younger brother, the late Mr. W. J. Banks, played occasionally for Kent in 1846 and 1848. The deceased, who was a grandson of Sir Edward Banks, the builder of London Bridge, rode a tricycle as recently as three months before his death.

MR. CHARLES BARCLAY, J.P., of the Harrow eleven of 1856 and 1857, was born on October 2nd, 1837, and died at the Manor House, Bayford, Herts, on January 2nd. He was a steady batsman with sound defence, and was the wicket-keeper of the side. Eton were not met in 1856, and in the match of 1857 he made only 2 and 9 not out. In the latter year Harrow played thirteen matches, winning nine, losing one (by 12 runs), and drawing three, and Mr. Barclay stumped thirteen men and caught eleven. Proceeding to Cambridge, he played occasionally for the University in 1859 and 1860, but did not obtain his Blue. His father, Mr. R. Barclay, was a member of the Harrow Eleven of 1825.

MR. CHARLES MYLNE BARKER, for four years in the Westminster Eleven, commencing in 1859, died in London on February 17th, aged 67. He was described as, 'a very severe hitter but rather too wild at times : a capital field at long leg or long-field."

THE VEN. ARCHDEACON FREDERICK BATHURST, who was born on March 7th, 1827, died at Kensington on September 22nd. He played for Winchester in 1845, and opened the innings against both Eton and Harrow: former match resulted in the famous tie, and the latter was won by Winchester by 12 runs. In his four innings he scored 60 runs, thus averaging 15. Three years later he was a member of the Oxford team which beat Cambridge by 23 runs, his own scores being 13 and seven. He was cox of his college boat, and a first-rate chess player. Sir Frederick Bathurst, the famous bowler, was his cousin.

SIR LYTTELTON HOLYOAKE BAYLEY, K.B., late Judge of H.M's High Court of Judicature, Bombay, died at The Lodge, Parkstone, Dorset, on August 4th. He was born in London on May 6th, 1827 and had therefore completed his eighty-third year at the time of his death. For four years, commencing in 1841, he was in the Eton Eleven, being captain in 1844. He possessed very sound defence and fielded well at long-stop, middle-wicket, and long-leg. He was one of the oldest members of the M.C.C., having joined the Club in 1847. In the eight Public School matches in which he appeared he made 107 runs in fourteen innings, averaging 7.64, his highest score being 28 against Winchester in 1844. In a match of note his largest innings was 59 for the Hon. R. Grimston's XI. v. the Hon. F. Grimston' XI, at Lord's in 1846. His father was President of the M.C.C in 1844, and his elder brother, now Sir Emilius Bayley Laurie, earned fame as a cricketer nearly seventy years ago by an innings of 152 in the Eton v. Harrow match of 1841.

CANON WILLIAM BENHAM, though never much of a cricketer, was very fond of the game. He was born at Westmeon, Hants, on January 15th, 1831, and died at St. Edmund's Rectory, Finsbury Square, on July 30th. As a small boy he met John Nyren, who published his Young Cricketer's Tutor in 1833 and died four years later. He could also recall seeing Talleyrand, who died over seventy years ago, walking down Piccadilly.

MR. SCHOLES BIRCH, for many years a well-known Manchester player, and member of the Free Foresters, died at Chestnut on April 13th, aged 83. He was a good batsmen, and obtained many wickets with his slow underhand bowling. His father, Mr. Lea Birch taught John Roberts, sen., the spot-stroke, and was for many years the best batsman and bowler in the Manchester C.C.

MR. FRANCIS HORNBY BIRLEY, J.P., of the Winchester XI's of 1867 and 1868, died at Lingfield, Surrey, on August 1st, aged 60. He was born on March 14th, 1850. In 1868 it was said of him, 'Possesses excellent judgment as captain : a clever slow bowler, and an excellent field anywhere: hits freely, and, though unfortunate at first, scored largely at the end of the season.'In his two matches against Eton he scored only 14 runs in four innings, but took 13 wickets. Proceeding to Oxford, he appeared in the Freshman's match of 1869, but did not obtain his Blue. He played for Lancashire three times in 1870 and once in 1872, and in 1879 appeared for Surrey against Middlesex at the Oval. Mr. Birley was famous at Association Football in the early days of the game, playing for the Wanderers.

MR. BENJAMIN CHARLES BOLTON, who played for Yorkshire in half-a-dozen matches in 1890 and 1891, died on November 18th, from injuries sustained in falling from an express train a few miles from Hull. On his first appearance for the county--against Warwickshire at Halifax--he took ten wickets for 64 runs, and in the six matches mentioned obtained twenty-seven for a fraction under fifteen runs each. He was born on September 23rd, 1862, and was fast medium bowler.

LIEUT-COL. BERNARD TINDAL BOSANQUET, D.L, died at Cowley, Uxbridge, on August 5th, at the age of 67. He was the father of Messers. B. J. T. and N. E. T. Bosanquet, and in his younger days was a useful club cricketer. It has been said of him :--" The father bowled exactly in the same way as the son (B.J.T.,) at whom he used to bowl from the time that he was six years old."

MR. WILLIAM BOWIE, a well-known Scottish cricketer, died on September 2nd, aged 48. For many years he was one of the best bowlers of the Kelburne C.C., of which he was one of the oldest members. He was ex-President of the Western District Cricket Union and Western Representative on the Scottish Cricket Union.

GEORGE BRITTON, who was born at Hunslet on April 7th, 1843, died suddenly in Leeds on January 3rd. At one time he was a very familiar figure in Yorkshire cricket, but he appeared for the county only once--against Cambridgeshire at Wisbech in 1867, when he was dismissed for 0 and 3. Scores and Biographies (vii--91) says that he was " a good average batsman " and that he " fielded generally mid-wicket off or on." He performed a notable feat in 1870, when playing for XXII of Hull v. the A.E.E., he carried his bat through the innings of 70 for 30.

JOHN BROWN, who was born at Rugby on December 25th, 1831, died at Walsall in the second week of November. He was a round-armed medium-paced bowler and a useful bat, and for thirty years was Captain of the Walsall C.C. He played for Staffordshire, and occasionally for eighteens and twenty-twos against the All England and United Elevens.

MR. FREDERICK GEORGE BULL, the EsSex slow bowler of a few years ago, was found drowned at St. Anne's-on-Sea, Lancashire, on September 16th. He was born in Essex on April 2nd, 1876, played his first match for the county in 1895 and came to the front in the following year, when in all first-class matches he obtained eighty-five wickets for 16 runs each. It was in 1896, when twenty years of age, that he was chosen, strictly on his merits, for the Gentlemen v. Players match at the Oval in which he took eight wickets for 94 runs in the first innings and two for 59 in the second.

The same season he had an analysis of eight for 44 for Essex against Yorkshire at Bradford. In 1897 he took 120 wickets for something over twenty- one runs each, his best performances (all for Essex) being nine for 73 v. Surrey at the Oval, thirteen for 156 v. Derbyshire at Leyton and fourteen for 176 v. Lancashire on the same ground. It was in the last-mentioned match that he endeavoured to prevent Lancashire from following-on by bowling wide-balls to the boundary. Mold however, grasping the situation, knocked his wicket down so enabling his side to go in again, but Essex won by six wickets. Bull was chosen for the Gentlemen at Lord's that year,but was expensive, and although he secured eight of the Players'wickets at Scarborough later in the season they were taken at rather a heavy price- a fraction under twenty-five runs each. In the autumn of 1897 he visited America with Mr. P. F. Warner's team and obtained forty-three wickets--the largest number taken by any member of the side--at a cost of 13.86 runs apiece. In 1898 he was successful in crediting himself with over a hundred wickets, but in the following year he proved less effective and in 1900 was so expensive that he was dropped from the side.

During most of the time that he was a member of the Essex team he filled the position of Assistant Secretary to the County Club. Upon leaving the South of England to take up a commercial appointment in Blackburn he commenced--in 1904--to play for East Lancashire, for which club he took ninety-one wickets that season for 12.54 runs each. Subsequently he embraced professionalism and was engaged for two seasons by Perthshire, and afterwards for the same period by East Lancashire and Rishton. Bull could make the ball break both ways and he always kept a good length and used his head well.

MR. GEORGE JOHN COURTHORFE, J.P., D.L., of the Eton Eleven of 1867, died suddenly of heart failure at Whiligh, Ticehurst, Sussex, on September 9th, at the age of 62. He did not play in match with Harrow, but appeared against Winchester, taking two wickets and scoring 13. He proceeded to Oxford, but did not obtain a Blue. In 1872 he became a member of the M.C.C.

MR. JOHN CRAIG, one of the best cricketers in Scotland about thirty years ago, died on April 7th, en route for South Africa, aged about 60. He was a right-handed bowler, but batted left,and he and his brother Robert were always referred to by cricketers as the 'Dalkeith Craigs.' For Gentlemen of Scotland against the Australian team of 1880 he took six wickets, including those of Murdoch, McDonnell, Palmer and A. H. Jarvis, for 60 runs.

DR. WILLIAM GRAFTON CURGENVEN, M.D., who was born at plymouth on November 30th, 1841, died at Fareham, in Hampshire, on March 18th. His early cricket was played in Devonshire, and it was for the Gentlemen of Devon that he made his first appearance at Lord's--against M.C.C., in June, 1864. Removing later to Derby, he served for many years on the Committee of the County Club, and, except in 1877, played every year for Derbyshire from 1872 until 1878 inclusive. He was described as " A brilliant bat, hitting well all round, and on a lively wicket a fast run-getter; a good field at long leg and cover-point." In 1873 he scored 39 of a total of 70 against Lancashire at Manchester, and in the following year made 34 and 74 in the match with Yorkshire on the Derby ground, while in 1875 he obtained 71 against Kent, also at Derby. Two of his sons have played for Derbyshire during recent years.

MR. GEORGE WILLIAM DAVIES, of Kingswingford, who died on March 23rd, in his sixty-fifth year, appeared occasionally for the Gentlemen of Worcestershire.

FREDERICK DELBRIDGE, a well-known figure in South Devon cricket and for three years professional to the Torquay C.C., died by his own hand at Upton, Torquay, on November 11th. He was only 31 years of age.

HARRY DEWSE, who was born at York on February 23rd, 1836, died at his native place on July 8th. He was a very useful all-round cricketer, with wicket-keeping as his forte. For Tynemouth v. Chester-le-street, he took all ten wicket in an innings, and in 1875 bowed 33 balls for nine runs and five wickets. For fourteen years he played occasionally against the All England Eleven and (during his residence in Newcastle) for Northumberland.

MR. SAMUEL DRIVER, captain of the Nelson C.C., of Lancashire, died on March 21st in his fiftieth year. He played for Nelson and Keighley for many seasons and scored over ten thousand runs during his career.

MR. HUBERT EATON, J.P., died at Ketton Grange, Stamford, on March 25th, aged 46. He was educated at the Oratory School, Birmingham and Trinity College (Cambridge), and was in each eleven. In later years he was most prominently identified with the Burghley Park C.C., of which he was captain. He was a stylish batsman, and played for M.C.C., I Zingari, the Quidnuncs, and Free Foresters. He was born in January, 1864.

SIR FLEETWOOD ISHAM EDWARD'S, G.C.M.G., K.C.B., I.S.O, who was born at Harrow on April 21st, 1842, died at the Manor House, Lindfield, Sussex, on August 14th. He had been a member of the M.C.C. since 1870, and was educated at Harrow, where he just failed to get into the Eleven. In his time he made some scores for the Royal Engineers, and in 1865 began to play for Gentlemen of Kent.

Mr. FREDERICK LYNDON EVELYN, J.P., the old Rugby and Oxford cricketer, was born at Presteign, Radnorshire, on May 24th 1859, and died there on December 8th. He was in the Rugby eleven, from 1876 to 1878, being captain in his last year, when illness interfered greatly with his cricket. In his two matches with Marlborough he scored only 25 runs in four innings and on each occasion he was on the losing side. Among his contemporaries were E. T. Hirst, C. F. H. Leslie, and F. D. Gaddum. He obtained his Blue for Oxford in 1880, but made only 0 and 1 against Cambridge, who won by 115 runs. Scores and Biographies described him as "a good average batsman, and in the field generally cover-point or long-field." He played for Herefordshire from 1879 to 1891.

CANON ARTHUR HENRY FABER, of the Winchester XI. of 1847 and 1848, was born in India on February 29th, 1832, and died at Doncaster, on November 29th. In his four Public School matches he scored 54 runs in eight innings, took ten wickets, and on every occasion was on the beaten side. He did not obtain his Blue at Oxford, although he was a far better batsman than his scores against Eton and Harrow would lead one to suppose. In July, 1862, he played an innings of 100 at Lord's for Gentlemen of the North v. Gentlemen of the South, and a fortnight later, at Leamington, he made 79 for Sixteen Free Foresters v. The All England Eleven, who had Wootton, Jackson, Tinley, and Tarrant to bowl for them. Scores and Biographies described Canon Faber as " A most excellent batsman," and added that he played frequently under the name of St. Fabian.

MR. FELIX FIELDING, who played for Surrey in seven matches between 1889 and 1891, died at Surbiton on February 4th. He was born on February 24th, 1858, and was educated at Malvern, where he was in the Eleven in 1875. Later he became prominent in connection with the Incogniti, M.C.C., and Richmond C.C., and for some years was captain of the Surbiton C.C. In his second match Surrey--against Oxford University at the Oval, in 1889--he scored 75, and with Abel (138) added 183 runs for the second wicket: the county made 614, and won by an innings and 367 runs. He was well above the average as a wicket-keeper, and in 1889 took part in the North v. South match at Manchester. As a batsman he possessed strong defence, but it was his skill behind the wicket which obtained him a place in first-class cricket.

Mr. W. W. FOULKROD, who died at Eddington, Philadelphia, on November 13th, was born at Frankford, Pa., on November 22nd, 1846. He was one .of the founders, and at one time President, of the Frankford County C.C. His son, MR. W. W. Foulkrod, jun., has acted as captain of the team for several years and at the present time is one of the most useful all-round cricketers in Philadelphia.

MR. ARTHUR EDWARD FURNISS was born at Sheffield on May 9th, 1833, and died there on July 13th. He never played for his county, but Scores and Biographies described him as " a good steady bat, and in the field generally point." He appeared occasionally against the All England Eleven and in other important matches in his district, and in 1859 made 50 not out for XVIII of Sheffield v. An England Eleven, who had Bickley, Reynolds, Hayward, Griffith, and Wells to bowl for them.

MR. JAMES GARDNER, of Saxon Hall, near Newmarket, died on March 1st in his sixty-first year. A steady batsman and a useful slow bowler, he played occasionally for Suffolk and Leicestershire. Several times eleven members of the Gardner family formed a side in the cricket field.

MR. GEORGE GIBSON, a native of Jamaica, died at Carlton, Melbourne on September 5th, aged 83. His first appearance in a match of note was for Victoria v. New South Wales, on the Melbourne ground, in December, 1865, and his highest innings in a first-class game 41--against the same colony in March, 1872--for playing which, he was presented with a bat made from a willow-tree grown in his own garden. In addition to being a capable batsman, he was a good wicket-keeper.

CHARLES W. GREGORY, died at St. Vincent's Hospital Darlinghurst, New South Wales, on November 14th. Born on September 13th, 1878, he was only in his thirty-third year. At one time it was confidently expected that he would rival his brother, Sydney Gregory, and make a great name for himself, but, though he did many brilliant things, he proved, on the whole, a disappointment and was never thought quite good enough to be picked for a tour in England. From some cause or other he generally failed on big occasions. One performance will cause his name to be remembered. For New South Wales against Queensland at Brisbane in November 1906, he scored 383--the second highest innings on record in a first-class and the highest in Australia.

MR. ROBERT HALFORD, J.P., President of the Nottinghamshire County C.C., died suddenly at Nottingham on September 23rd, in seventieth year.

JAMES HALLOWS, one of the best all-round cricketers ever produced by Lancashire, died at Farnworth, near Bolton, on May 20th, after an illness of six weeks. As he was born at Little Lever on November 14th, 1875, he was in his 35th year at the time of his death. Ill-health--he was subject to epileptic fits--interfered greatly with his cricket, but he did enough during his comparatively short career to stamp himself as one of the best players of his time. He was left-handed both as batsman and bowler. In addition to possessing a sound defence he had several good strokes on the off side, while as a bowler he could make the ball break either way and had a deceptive flight. His early cricket was played with Little Lever Temperance C.C., and afterwards with Little Lever, whose batting and bowling averages he headed the first season he was a member of the first eleven. In 1896, on the strength of his doings in club cricket, he was chosen for the Lancashire Colts match at Old Trafford, and at once made his mark by scoring 133 in his first innings and 77 not out in his second. On the advice of the late Mr. S. M. Crosfield he forsook fast bowling in favour of the medium-pace style, and never had cause to regret the decision. In his first year at Old Trafford he took eighty-four wickets and had a batting average of 25, and in the following season he played his first match for Lancashire. It was, however, not until 1901 then became a regular member of the side, and he then batted so well that he would have been worth a place in the team if he had not able to bowl at all. His great season was that of 1904, when his all-round cricket enabled Lancashire to carry off the Championship. Barnes had thrown in his lot with Staffordshire, and a very successful season had not been anticipated. Hallows, however, rose to the occasion, and in Championship matches alone scored 1,058 runs and took 108 wickets. In all first-class cricket during the season his record was 1,071 runs and 108 wickets. In more recent years he failed to show such form, ill-health being chiefly responsible, and 1907--against Essex at Manchester--he appeared for his county the last time.

MR. WILLIAM ILBERT HANCOCK, of 27, Anne Street, Cavendish Square, died on January 20th, aged 36. He was a useful cricketer and appeared on a few occasions for Somerest.

MR. J. HARRINGTON, proprietor of the hotel at the Sussex County ground, Hove, died on March 25th.

MR. WILLIAM HARRIS, a well-known figure on Essex cricket grounds, died in January at the age of 80. He had a cricket record of forty-five seasons as player and twenty seasons as umpire.

DANIEL HAYWARD, brother of the famous Tom Hayward, of Cam-bridge, and father of the present-day Surrey batsman, died at Cambridge on May 30th. He was born at Chatteris on October 19th, 1832, and was thus in his seventy-eighth year at the time of his death. In 1854, owing to the mistaken notion that he was born in the county, he played in one match for Surrey--the Haywards were a very old Mitcham family and in 1860 he began to appear for Cambridgeshire. He as a good long-stop and bat.

THOMAS ARTHUR HEARNE, the ground superintendent at Lord's since 1898, died in St. Bartholomew's Hospital on January 29th. He was born at Stoke Poges, in Buckinghamshire, on December 19th, 1849, and was a son of Tom Hearne, elder brother of " C.F.," and first cousin of " G.G.," Frank and Alec. He never was famous as a cricketer, but possessed a very sound knowledge of the game. Before succeeding Pearce at Lord's, he was groundsman at Wellington College.

ALLEN HILL, born at Kirkheaton, near Huddersfield, November 14th, 1845, died at Leyland in Lancashire on August 29th. Although he played his last match for Yorkshire so long ago as 1883, Allen Hill is still vividly remembered as one of the best right-handed fast bowlers of his day. It is a curious fact that, though he did not come out until long after the alteration in 1864 of law 10, he bowled in the old fashioned style with a purely round-arm action, the hand at the moment of delivery being very little above the shoulder.

Great as was his reputation, he would probably been thought still more of if it had not been his fate to follow Freeman in the Yorkshire eleven. He proved an admirable substitute for that famous bowler but he had not Freeman's wonderful spin and, as the late Mr. William Yardley, among others, contended, his lower action made him easier to see. His delivery was the one of best of its kind that can be recalled and with a far shorter run up to the wicket than most modern fast bowlers find necessary he had great pace.

He sprang into fame in 1871, when against Surrey at the Oval he took twelve wickets--six in each innings and all them bowled down--at a cost of only 57 runs. For this fine performance he was presented by a supporter of Yorkshire cricket resident in London with a silver cup. The match was played on the 21st and 22nd of August and from that time forward Hill's position was secure. He was at his very best in the summer of 1874 when just at the height of the season an accident interfered with his cricket. He was indeed curiously unfortunate in meeting mishaps. His knee gave way when he was bowling as well ever in 1879 and finally a broken collar-bone cut short his career.

In the Gentlemen and Players' match at Lord's in 1874 he did the "hat-trick " in the Gentlemen's second innings, bowling I. D. Walker, and catching and bowling A. W. Ridley and A. N. Hornby. Personally Hill was one of the most popular of professional cricketers --a man of kindly nature and gentle manners. When his cricket days were over he found an excellent friend in the late Mr. Stannard of Leyland who gave him an engagement that he retained to day of his death. Hill went to Australia in the winter of 1876-77 with James Lillywhite's team and took part in the first match in which the Australians met England on level terms.

In the North v. South match, at Tunbridge Wells in 1875 he opened the bowling for the former and in his first over dismissed W. G. Grace with the first ball, Charlwood with the second, and G. F. Grace with the fourth. On his first appearance in the Gentlemen v. Players' match--at the Oval in 1874--he took nine wickets for 150 runs and in the ten matches in which he bowled against the Gentlemen between 1874 and 1882 he obtained forty wickets at a cost of 21.25 runs each.

In July, 1884, Hill was given the Yorkshire v. Lancashire match at Sheffield for his benefit, but it yielded him only £376 15s. 7d.

MR. HENRY JACKSON, for twenty-five years captain of the Burton C.C., died at Douglas, Isle of Man, on July 22nd, aged 47.

MR. ALFRED JARMAN, a native of Hunslet, died at Little Horton, Bradford, on March 30th, aged 60. Although a good cricketer, never appeared for his county, but in 1874 he played for Yorkshire United v. Derbyshire at Leeds, scoring 26 and 9. For many years he played with the Bradford C.C., and was captain of the team which won the Yorkshire League Cup in 1893.

MR. R. HUBERT JOHNSTON died suddenly at the Edinburgh University Ball on February 15th, in his forty-sixth year. A good wicket-keeper and a sound batsman, he was in the Clifton Eleven in 1883 and 1884, and afterwards did well for the Grange C.C. and in representative Scottish matches. At Lord's in July, 1892, he scored 163 for The Grange v. M.C.C., and in partnership with Mr. A. G. Grant-Asher (215) put on 328 for the fourth wicket: the Grange declared with nine wickets down for 557. In 1902 and 1905 he captained the Scottish team against the Australians. He was also a good golfer and footballer.

MR. BASSETT JONES, a native of Cardiff, died in New York City March 25th, aged 60. He was a good left-handed slow bowler and a fair bat, and was in turn identified with the old St. George's C.C., the Staten Island C.C., and the New York Veterans' Cricket Association.

PERCIVAL KING, for many years prominently identified with the game in Scotland, died in Edinburgh on October 29th. He was born at Stockwell, in Surrey, on December 9th, 1835, and was described in Scores and Biographies as " A good average batsman, and a fast and slow, round-armed bowler." For many seasons, commencing in 1862, he was coach at Merchiston, Fettes and Loretto, and frequently captained the Players of Scotland against the Gentlemen. He was editor of the Scottish Cricketers' Guide, 1870-1--to 1887-8.

MR. CECIL HUNTINGTON LEAF, F.R.C.S., was born at Streatham on February 19th, 1865, and died at Eastbourne early in October. As a member of the Marlborough Eleven of 1882, he met with considerable success as a slow left-hand howler, taking fifty wickets at an average of less than eleven runs each. He also made 131 runs in twelve innings, with 54 as his highest score. At Cambridge he played for the Freshmen in 1883 and for the Seniors in 1884, but was not tried in the University team.

MR. FRANCIS DAVY LONGE, was born at Coddenham on September 25th, 1831, and died at Ipswich on February 20th. He was in the Harrow Eleven in 1847 and two following years, playing each season against Eton and Winchester. Against Eton he scored 98 runs with an average of 16.33, and against Winchester 78 with one of 19.50. Proceeding to Oxford, Mr. Longe played against Cambridge in 1851 and 1852,scoring 46 and 0 in the first year, and 17 in the second. He was described as " A magnificent hitter, who, by taking pains, might early become one of the first players of the day." In 1858 he was called to the Bar, and afterwards became private secretary to the late Lord Goschen, who appointed him a general inspector of the Local Government Board.

MR. HENRY JAMES LUBBOCK, J.P., D.L., an elder brother of Mr. Alfred Lubbock, died in Lowndes Square, London, on January 25th. Although he did not obtain a place in the eleven while at Eton, he was a useful cricketer, and made some good scores for the West Kent C.C. He was born on February 7th, 1838.

Mr. HENRY (" HARRY ") LUFF, proprietor of Wisden's Cricketers'Almanack and of the firm of Messrs. John Wisden & Co., of Cranbourn Street, died on July 18th. Born at Petersfield, in Hampshire, on January 26th, 1856, Mr. Luff was in his fifty-fifth year at the time of his death. For some time his health had been precarious, and although he benefited to some extent by a visit to Australia during the winter of 1907-8, the improvement was only temporary, and last year he suffered another breakdown which proved to be the beginning of the end. For many years he acted as secretary of the Cricketers' Fund Friendly Society, and only within a fortnight of his death did he resign the position.

MR. AIDAN T. LYONS, the best all-round cricketer of the Eastern Province, died at Queenstown on February 12th, at the early age of 31. He was a good batsman, a fast-medium right-hand bowler, and a sound captain. For just over ten years he played with success against visiting teams and in Currie Cup matches.

SIR CHARLES HAYES MARRIOTT, M.D., F.R.C.S., D.L., J.P., died at Kibworth Harcourt, Leicestershire, on February 15th, aged 76. He was a very useful batsman in his younger days and was in the Uppingham eleven in 1850 and 1851. He was the father of Mr. H. H. Marriott, but was not related to Mr. Charles Marriott, a fine batsman, who captained Leicestershire before Mr. de Trafford occupied the position.

THE REV. CHARLES MARTIN, who was born on October 17th, 1840, died at Darlington, Totnes, on February 23rd. Ho was educated at Winchester where he was coached by Caffyn and F. Bell, and was in the Eleven in 1857 and two following years. In his three matches with Eton he scored 41 runs in six innings. Proceeding to Oxford,he did not obtain his Blue. He was described as an effective and pretty bat and an excellent long-stop.

CAPT. SPENCER DUNCAN MAUL was born at Newport Pagnell, on June 6th, 1859, and died at Biarritz on April 29th. He was educated at Uppingham, where he was in the eleven in 1876; against Repton he scored 26 and 4, and against Shrewsbury 19. Going to Sandhurst, he, in 1878, when captain of the eleven, scored 30 and 219 not out against Woolwich at Prince's, carrying his bat through the second innings, which amounted to 428. A heavy scorer in minor cricket, he in 1881 played an innings of 212 for Curragh Camp against Phoenix Park, and in 1884 twice in one week exceeded the second hundred, scoring 235 for Hanslope Park v. Ambhurst Ramblers and 284 for Bicester v. Abingdon. In 1891 he first appeared for Buckinghamshire, heading the county's batting averages that season with 30, and for several years he proved one of the batsmen on the side. Scores and Biographies said of him : " Is a fine and free hitter.....also an active field, generally taking cover point, and can bowl middle-paced round-armed." His two broth Messrs. H. C. and J. B. Maul, were also cricketers of note.

SIR MALCOLM MCEACHERN, a former Lord Mayor of Melbourne, died at Cannes on March 11th, aged 57. He was fond of cricket,but never gained any celebrity as a player. A few years ago he offered to provide a cup, valued at £250, for competition at cricket between England and Australia.

MR. EDWARD JOHN HARRY EDEN MORANT, J.P., of Brockenhurst Park, died on January 20th, in his forty-third year. He was a lover and keen supporter of the game, and possessed a private ground at Brockenhurst.

MR. DAVID ALEXANDER MUNRO, one of the organizers of the Metropolitan District Cricket League of New York, and its President from 1893 to 1897 and in 1904 and 1905, died at St. Vincent's Hospital N.Y., on March 9th. He was born at Maryborough, County Ross,Scotland, on November 23rd, 1848, and was a great supporter of game in America.

MR. ROBERT STUART NEWHALL, who was born at Philadelphia on September 16th, 1852, died at his native place on the 9th December. He was one of the best exponents and most generous supporters the game ever had in America, and in 1881 captain the Gentlemen of Philadelphia during their tour in England. For many years he was prominently identified with the Young American Club, which amalgamated with the Germantown C.C. in 1889. He was a skilful captain and a fine batsman. His highest innings was 126 v. Gentlemen of Cheshire in 1884, but his best was probably played against the Australians in 1878.

MR. JAMES B. OAKLEY, who served on the Surrey County C.C. Committee from 1883 until 1909 without a break, died at Carlton House, Barnes, on July 15th, aged 70. On Parker's Piece, Cambridge, on June 17th, 1867, he played single-handed (with four to field with him) against twelve servants and tradesmen and won by six runs, scoring 23 and 4 against 7 and 14. That year, when he was a member of the Pembroke College Eleven, he was described as "A fine bat, with a good defence ; and a good straight bowler."

DR. EDWIN JOSEPH OGDEN, the founder and for many years the President of the Chicago C.C., died at Chicago on February 14th, aged 80. He was born at Cooksville, Canada, and was the father of Dr. E. Russell Ogden, who captained the Canadian team which visited England in 1887.

MR. THOMAS J. O'REILLY, a well-known figure in New York crickcting circles for a quarter of a century, died at Brooklyn, N.Y., on May 3rd. He was born in Dublin on March 6th, 1865, and was educated at Wesley College in that city.

GEORGE EUGENE PALMER, one of the greatest of Australia's many famous bowlers, died at Badaginnie, near Banalla, Victoria, on August 22nd. Born at Albury, New South Wales, on February 22nd, 1860, he was in his fifty-first year at the time of his death. Few bowlers have reached the top of the tree so early in life. His fame was established when at Melbourne, in March 1879, playing for Victoria against Lord Harris' Eleven, he took six wickets, all bowled down, for 64 runs, and three wickets for 30. Among the batsmen who fell to him were Lord Harris and George ulyett, twice each, Toni Emmett, and Vernon Royle. His bowling astonished the English team, but to one fine judge of cricket in Melbourne his success did not come as a surprise. Mr. Medley, of the Melbourne Age, has told the story of how the late Mr. T. V. Wills --for many years the moving spirit of Victorian cricket--asked him one morning on the Melbourne ground if he would like to go out to the nets and see a better bowler than Frank Allan. From the day of his success against Lord Harris' team there was no doubt as to the position Palmer would take in Australian cricket, and for the next six years he had no superior except Spofforth. As all who follow cricket will remember he paid four visits to England, coming over with the teams of 1880,1882,1184, and 1886. Many English batsmen of those days maintain that they never met a bowler who was more difficult on a hard true wicket. In one way his ectiveness in fine weather told against him, as on soft wickets he did not get the same opportunities as Spofforth and Harry Boyle. During the latter part of the season of 1880, however, when Spofforthwas laid aside by an injured hand, he had a chance of showing what he could do under all conditions, and his success was great. Still he was not so accurate as Spofforth, and afterwards Turner, on a sticky wicket, often doing too much and missing the stumps after beating the batsman. Palmer had many gifts as a bowler. His delivery was one of the best and most natural ever seen, he was a fine off-break and a good variety of pace, and his yorker was deadly. Moreover he bowled a quick leg-break with extraordinary skill. This leg-break, however, proved to some extent his undoing. While he kept it strictly in reserve it was an invaluable servant to him, but as time went on he bowled it more and more and his accuracy of pitch suffered. When he came to England for the last time 1886 he was not nearly so good a bowler as he had been in his three previous visits. It must be said, however, that while his bowling declined, he developed into an excellent batsman. Following his return to Australia after the unsuccessful tour of 1886, he had the misfortune to fracture his knee-cap and not much more was seen of him in first-class cricket. The latter part of life was the reverse of prosperous, but on this point there is need to dwell. He married a sister of Blackham, the great wicket-keeper.

In Test matches between England and Australia he scored 296 runs with an average of 14.09 and took seventy-eight wickets for 21.51 runs each. In eleven a side matches for the Australians in England, Palmer took 80 wickets in 1880, 138 in 1882, 132 in 1884, and 110 wickets in all matches in 1886.

CHARLES RANDON, an elder brother of F. Randon, the Notts and Leicestershire fast bowler, was born at Stapleford, in Notts, on February 6th, 1840, and died at Hathern on May 2nd. In Scores and Biographies (ix--12) he was described as " An excellent fast bowler, a fair bat, and in the field generally in the slips." He accepted many engagements, and it was not until 1874 that he made his first appearance for Leicestershire.

MR. RICHARD HENRY RAPHAEL died on January 21st, aged 36. He was in the Wellington Eleven in 1890 and 1891, scoring in the latter year 395 runs with an average of 30.38. He was described as ' A most useful, hard-hitting bat, invaluable in giving confidence to his side :a fair change bowler." He did not obtain his Blue at Oxford, but played frequently for the Authenties, and in 1902-3 was a member of their team which visited India. During the tour he made 642 runs with an average of 23.70, his highest score being 111 against the Parsees at Bombay. Mr. J. E. Raphael, of Oxford University and Surrey, is his cousin.

ADMIRAL SIR HARRY HOLDSWORTH RAWSON, G.C.B., G.C.M.G.,died on November 3rd, aged 66. He played in the first match which ever took place in Japan, being a member of the Fleet team which beat Yokohama in 1863. Whilst Governor of New South Wales (1902--1907) he showed his interest in the game by becoming the Patron of the New South Wales Cricket Association.

MR. ERNEST RAYNER, a well-known West Australian cricketer, died at Perth on February 27th. He was considered one of the best bowlers in the local Pennant matches.

SIR JOHN PICKERSGILL RODGER, K.C.M.G., who was born in London on February 12th, 1851, died in London on September 19th, a few days after his return from seven years' service as Governor of the Gold Coast. He was in the Eton Eleven in 1869 and 1870 and in the latter year was described as " A good sound bat, though his style is peculiar ; may generally he depended on for runs ; slow in the field, but much improved." In his four Public School matches he made 116 runs in six innings and on three occasions was on the winning side. He did not obtain his Blue at Oxford, and his connection with Kent was restricted to a single match--with M.C.C., at Canterbury, in 1870. Mr. W. W. Rodger, who played occasionally for Kent, as his elder brother.

THE REV. EDWARD HENRY ROGERS, for many years President of the Thomas Ditton C.C., died at Worthing on January 29th, in his eigthy-fourth year.

MR. GEORGE MURRAY ROYLE was born at Nottingham on January 9th,1843 and died at Fern Lodge, Sherwood Rise, on February 26th. His early cricket was played with the Nottingham Commercial C.C, for which he scored 10 and 100 not out against the Australian Aborigina1 team of 1868. His first match for the county was against Gloucestershire at Trent Bridge in 1871, and his last against Surrey at the Oval ten years later. Mr. Haygarth said of him : " Is a batsman above the average, and excels in the field at long-leg, and mid-wicket off." He was devoted to the game all his life, and although business prevented him from playing as often as was desired, he se on the County Committee for sixteen years.

MR. EDWIN THOMAS SACHS, at one time cricket editor of the Field newspaper, died at Reigate on September 26th.

THE VENERABLE ERNEST GREY SANDFORD, M.A., Archdeacon of Coventry, and formerly Archdeacon and Canon Residentiary of Exeter, died at Exmouth on March 8th. He was born at Dunchurch in Warwickshire, on August 16th, 1839, and must be regarded as one of the most accomplished all-round cricketers ever produced by Rugby. Whilst batting was his forte, his wicket-keeping and slow underhand bowling were also of a very high standard. Ill-health unfortunately, handicapped him severely and in consequently his career as a player was a very short one. He was coached by Lillywhite and Alfred Diver, and played his first match for the School in September, 1852, when only thirteen years of age ; he did however, appear again in the Eleven until 1854. Matches with Marlborough were not started until 1855, but Sandford remained long enough at the School--he was Captain in 1856 and two following years--to appear in three of them. In the game of 1856 he played a wonderful not-out innings of 88--one of the finest public school displays ever seen at Lord's. The only other double-figure on the side was 11 by A. Helme. In the following year he was only slightly less prominent, playing an innings of 58 and taking eight wickets. Among his contemporaries at Rugby were T. W. Wills, W. H. Bullock, C. T. Royds and M. T. Martin. Proceeding Oxford, Sandford obtained his Blue as a Freshman, and in the same season (1859) was asked to assist the Gentlemen against the Players at Lord's. The Gentlemen were over-matched, but Sandford --still under twenty years of age--made 28 and 13 against Wisden, Willsher, and Jackson. Ill-health kept him out of the Universitymatch in 1860, and in the following year he took part in the match only after Cambridge had consented to allow him the services of a runner. As it happened, he scored only nine and three, and Cambridge won by 133 runs. Of Archdeacon Sandford it may truly be said that he possessed that amount of genius for the game which would have made him a great player in any age.

MR. THOMAS SANKEY died at Blackpool Grammar School, Lancashire, on May 23rd, aged 53. He was born at Bilston, in Staffordshire, and played occasionally for his native county, Shropshire Oxfordshire, Bucks., and Berkshire, and in one season made four hundreds in succession. He was the founder of the Blackpool Cricket Week in 1904.

DR. HENRY JAMES HERBERT SCOTT died on the 23rd of September at Scone, New South Wales, where he had for many years practised as a medical man. He was born at Toorak, near Melbourne, on the 6th of December, 1858. Scott's career in first-class cricket lasted less than ten years, beginning in February, 1878, at Sydney, when he played in his first big match--Victoria v. New South Wales--and ending with the tour in England in 1886. In his young days he was a fast bowler, but his reputation as a cricketer was gained entirely as a batsman. He began to be talked about in 1882, and an innings of 114 not out that he played against New South Wales at Melbourne in the season of 1883-84 was the main cause of his being given a place in the Australian team that came to England in 1884. He had a very successful tour, scoring 102 against England at the Oval in the memorable match in which Australia ran up a total of 551, and getting, among other good scores, 75 and not out, 31 against England at Lord's, 82 not out against the Gentlemen at Lord's, 79 against Gloucestershire at Clifton, and 65 against Gloucestershire at Cheltenham. He stood third to Murdoch and Percy McDonnell in the batting, with an aggregate of 973 runs and an average of over twenty-two. It was a misfortune for Scott that he should have been chosen by the Melbourne Club they sent to England in 1886. Under happier circumstances he might have got on well, but fortune was against him. Quarrels began among the players during the opening match at Sheffield Park, and Scott had neither the strength of character nor the experience as a leader that the difficulties of his position demanded. He did himself justice as a batsman, scoring 1,289 runs with an average of just under twenty-two, but as a captain he had anything but a pleasant time. His best score during the tour was 123 against Middlesex, at Lord's. In an innings of 67 not out against Yorkshire at Sheffield he hit in one over of four balls from Saul Wade twenty-two runs--a six, a four, and two sixes. When the tour was over he stayed behind in England to finish his medical studies, and on his return to Australia cricket saw no more of him.

MR. PHILLIP SHERRIDAN, Secretary of the Sydney Cricket Ground, died at Darlinghurst, Sydney, on January 14th. He was born at Edgeworthstown, on February 17th, 1833, and was therefore in his seventy-seventh year at the time of his death. He went to Australia in 1849, and it was due chiefly to him that the sydney ground, on which over two hundred thousand pounds have been spent, was formed, and it was under his guidance that it came to beregarded as the best appointed ground in the world. In 1907 Sheridan visited England and saw the South Africans play several of their matches.

MORDECAI SHERWIN, the famous Notts wicket-keeper, died at Nottingham on July 3rd in his sixtieth year. He was born at Kimberley, Notts, on February 26th, 1851. He played his first match for Notts in August 1876, and took part in some of the latter fixtures in the following season, but it was not until 1880 that became the regular wicket-keeper of the eleven. From 1880 held his position without a break down to the end of the season 1893, after which the Notts Committee, for some not very obvious reason, dropped him. He became a member of the M.C.C.'s Ground staff in 1877, and retained his engagement for a quarter of a century. The M.C.C. gave him the Middlesex and Somerset match on Whit-Monday 1894, but the result was disappointing, the game ending on the second afternoon. Among the English wicket-keepers of his day Sherwin had scarcely a superior, except Pilling and Mr. MacGregor.

A very bulky man of great physical power, he could stand any amount of work, and his strong fleshy hands did not often suffer damage. He was inclined to show off a little for the benefit of the crowd, but this after all was a small fault. He was at all times one of the cheeriest of cricketers. Although he took several times in Gentlemen and Players' matches he only once kept wicket in a Test Match in England, playing at Lord's in 1888, when Turner and Ferris gave Australia a victory on a ruined pitch. At different times the Hon. Alfred Lyttelton, Pilling, Mr. E. F. S. Tylecote, and Mr. MacGregor stood in his way. Sherwin paid one visit to Australia, being a member of Shaw and Shrewsbury's team in the winter of 1886-87. He had no pretensions as a batsman but he often made runs when they were wanted, and as a bowler one memorable achievement stands to his credit. In a Notts v. Middlesex match at Lord's in 1892, when the regular bowlers were tired out, he went on as a last hope and took two of the last five Middlesex wickets for nine runs, helping Notts to win the math within four minutes of time. In his young days Sherwin was a good man at Association football, keeping goal for Notts County. During the sixteen seasons for which he played for Notts he stumped 110 batsmen and caught 365.

ALDERMAN WILLIAM SMITH, for many years a member of the Committee of the Sussex County C.C., of which he was this year elected a vice-president, died at Rustington, near Littlehampton, on September 26th, aged 77. He was six times Mayor of Chichester.

MR. UNWIN SOWTER, one of the founders of the Derbyshire County C.C. in 1870, died at Derby on April 14th. He was born at Derby on April 22nd, 1839, and was educated at Derby School. Scores and Biographies (xi--429) says of him :--" Is a good batsman, and fields well, generally at point." He played for Derbyshire from 1871 until 1876, and for many years afterwards was a vice-president of the County Club and a member of the Committee.

THE 5th EARL SPENCER (JOHN POYNTZ SPENCER), K.G., P.C., M.A., D.C.L., LL.D., was born at Spencer House, London, on October 27th, 1835, and died at Althorp, Northants, on August 13th. He became a member of the M.C.C. in 1854, and was President of the Club in 1861. He had also filled the position of President of the Northamptonshire County C.C.

WILLIAM SWAIN, at one time a well-known Yorkshire cricketer, died at East Brisbane on October 5th. He was born at Burley near Otley, on September 8th, 1830, and had therefore just completed his 80th year. In Scores and Biographies (viii., 300) it is said of him :--" Bats in good style, is a nice field, either at point or long-stop, while his bowling is round-armed, fast or slow." On July 11th, 1853, he played perhaps the most extraordinary single-wicket match on record with John Barrett, of Otley, the ball all through the contest not once touching the bat, and on October 11th, 1861, he beat at single wicket an eleven (very inferior, however) of the Burley Club." Swain accepted many engagements and was for some years a tailor in Halifax. Later he opened a Sports outfitter's shop in Bradford, and eventually settled in Queensland. As recently as September 1908, a match (in which he himself took part) was played in Brisbane for his benefit. He took the greatest interest in the game to the end, and in May last contributed some reminiscences of King Edward's connection with cricket to a local newspaper. In his younger days he was of a poetical turn of mind, and produced several cricket verses.

MR. JAMES SWIFT, a well-known umpire in first-class cricket in Australia, died in Sydney on June 27th, aged 62.

THE RT. HON. J. TOMKINSON, M.P., died on April 10th, as the result of injuries received whilst riding in the Parliamentary Steeple-chase at Epping on the previous day. He was born on July 8th, 1840, and was educated at Rugby, where he was in the Twenty-two from 1856 to 1859.

WILLIAM TOMLIN, who was born at Leicester on September 1867, died of cancer at his native place on May 11th, at the age of 42. He was one of the best batsmen who ever appeared for Leicestershire, but his career as a county player was rather short extending only from 1887 to 1899. His best seasons were 1894 and 1895, when he headed the county's batting averages. His finest innings was probably his 106 not out against Richardson's bowling in the match with Surrey at the Oval in 1895, when his batting enabled Leicestershire to gain a victory which some effective bowling by Woodcock had rendered possible. His highest score for the county was 140 against M.C.C. and Ground at Lord's in 1894.

CANON EDWARD FIENNES TROTMAN, who was born on May 25th, 1828, died at Marshfield, Wiltshire, on April 19th. As a member of the Winchester Eleven of 1847, he made 5 and 0, v. Harrow, and 14 v. Eton, his side being beaten on each occasion by an innings. He proceeded to Oriel College, Oxford, but did not obtain his Blue. MR. ERNEST TRUBSHAW, J.P., D.L., at one time a member of Glamorganshire Eleven, died at Llanelly on September 3rd, at age of 65.

MR. CHARLES CORBETT TURNBULL, of the Cheltenham Eleven of 1859 and two following years, died suddenly at Eastbourne on September 11th, aged 68. In his three matches with Marlborough he made 55 runs in four completed innings, and in his last season headed the batting averages with 24. In 1860 he was described as " A first-rate cricketer ; has a strong defence, and hits hard all especially to leg ; bowls well, with a destructive break-and shows promise of oven further excellence in that department."

THE RT. REV. ARTHUR BERESFORD TURNER, D.D., Bishop in Korea, died of blood-poisoning at Chemulpo on October 28th, in his forty-ninth year. He was born at Farley Hospital in Salisbury, and was educated at Marlborough, where he was in the Eleven in 1880 and 1881, being captain in the latter year. He distinguished himself by playing two fine innings of 56 and 64 against Rugby at Lord's. That season he was described as " A very powerful and clean hitter, with a better defence than appears at first and has been very successful this year ; a good field away from the wicket as captain worked hard to ensure success, but wanted a little more experience." In 1880 his batting average was 10.60 and the following season 28.16. Among his contemporaries at Marlborough were E. E. Steel, H. M. Leaf and F. E. Rowe. In 1882 he scored 1 and 17 in the Freshmen's match at Oxford, but was never picked for the University. At Blackheath in December, 1884, he was a member of the Oxford XV which beat Cambridge by three goals and a try to a try.

MR. HARCOURT TURNER, who succeeded Mr. V. E. Walker as Treasurer of the Middlesex County C.C. in 1906, died on March 27th. He became a member of the M.C.C. in 1873 and served on the Middlesex County C.C. Committee for many years. He was educated at Cheltenham, but was not in the Eleven.

SIR JOHN WILLIAMS WALLINGTON, K.C.B., who was born at Dursley, Gloucestershire, on March 16th, 1822, died at Keevil Manor, near Trowbridge, on March 23rd, aged 88. Although a very useful player, he did not obtain a place in the Eleven whilst at Harrow, but later he took part in several very good-class club games, and was responsible for the inauguration of matches played by the Gentlemen of Hampshire. He was the father of Mr. E. W. Wallington, of Sherborne and Oxford, and was for sixty-seven years a member of the Duke of Beaufort's Hunt.

MR. ARTHUR FRASER WALTER, D.L, J.P., Chairman of the Times Publishing Company, died at Bearwood, Wokingham, on February 22nd. He was born at Waterloo Lodge, Wokingham, on September 12th, 1846, and was educated at Eton, where he was in the Eleven in 1864 and 1865. Against Harrow he made 45 runs in four innings and against Winchester 29 in two. Proceeding to Oxford, he played against Cambridge in 1869, when, although he failed to make a run in either innings, he took six wickets--those of V. Dale, H. A. Richardson, W. Yardley, C. I. Thornton, C. A. Absolom and M. H. Stow--for 59 runs. Cambridge won by 58 runs. Scores and Biographies said of him : " Is a good average batsman, combining fair hitting with strong defence, bowls round-armed of moderate speed, and is an excellent field (throwing well in at the wicket), though taking no place in particular." His father played for Eton in 1836 and a younger brother, Mr. H. M. Walter, in 1866 and two following years. In 1872 he married a daughter of the Rev. T. A. Anson, the famous wicket-keeper.

THE REV. FRANCIS WALKER, whose death occurred at Brandon,Manitoba, was educated at Trinity College, Toronto, where was in the Eleven. On settling at Brandon he undertook the captaincy of the St. George C.C., and for several years was one of the best cricketers in that city.

MR. HARRY WARNER, for very many years prominently identified the with the game in New York and New Jersey, died in February at age of 82. He was a Nottingham man by birth.

WALTER WATTS, for fifty years and until 1908 custodian of the University Cricket Ground at Cambridge, died at Cambridge in his eighty-fourth year. He was born at Wimpole, Cambridgeshire, on March 7th, 1827, and was 39 years of ago when he made his first appearance for his native county. He was a useful slow round-armed bowler and generally fielded at short-leg. In 1891 the match between the University and Mr. C. I. Thornton's Eleven was played for his benefit. George Watts, who has played for Surrey and Cambridgeshire, is his son.

JOSEPH WELLS, who played for Kent in 1862 and 1863, died at Liss, in Hampshire, on October 20th. He was born at Penshurst, in Kent, on July 14th, 1828, and was therefore in his eighty-third year at the time of his death. Scores and Biographies (vii--243) says of him :--" Height 5ft. 8ins., and weight 10st. 7lbs. (or 11st.). Bowls very fast round-armed, with a low delivery ; but did not appear for his county till he was about fourty years of age....As a bat he does not excel, and fields at short-slip." He will always be remembered for his great feat in the match between Kent and Sussex on Box's ground at Brighton in June, 1862, when, in the first innings of Sussex he bowled down the wickets of Dean, Mr. S. Austin Leigh, Ellis and Fillery with consecutive balls. In 1856 he was responsible for the revival of the Bromley C.C., whilst from 1857 to 1869 he was engaged at Chislehurst by the West Kent Club, from 1870 to 1872 by Bickley, Park, and afterwards by Norwich Grammar School. He was the father of H. G. Wells, the famous novelist, and a nephew of Timothy Duke, the noted bat and ball maker of Penshurst.

MR. CHARLES WILLIAM PRESCOTT-WESTCAR, J.P., a keen supporter of cricket, and a familiar figure at Canterbury during the week, died at Strode Park, Herne, Kent, on November 10th, aged 76.

WILLIAM (" BILLY ") WHITTAM, a well-known card-printer seller in the North of England, died at Sheffield on January 8th, aged 76.

ARTHUR WOODCOCK, the well-known Leicestershire fast bowler, died (as the result of poison self-administered) at Billesdon, on May 14th. He was born at Northampton on September 23rd, but when only a few months old was taken into Leicestershire, where he learned the game and spent the greater part of his life. In 1887 he accepted an engagement with the Mitcham C.C., of Surrey, and the form he showed whilst there was so good that Mr. Alcock, upon being asked to recommend a player as coach at Haverford College mentioned him, the result being that he entered upon the engagement in 1888 and retained it until 1894. The vacation enabled him to play in England from July to September, but it was not until 1889 that he was invited to assist Leicestershire. He played in only one match that year, but appeared more frequently in the next season, when, in consecutive matches against Essex and Warwickshire he took seventeen wickets for 201 runs.

During the next two years he appeared for the side as often as his American engagement permitted and how much Leicestershire's promotion to the first-class was due to his bowling is a matter of history. In 1895 he became a member of the ground-staff at Lord's, and during that season took 102 wickets in first-class matches for a fraction over nineteen runs each. That, as it happened, was his most successful year. He continued to appear for Leicestershire regularly for a few more seasons, but knee trouble handicapped him severely and in 1903 he dropped out of the side. Woodcock possessed a splendid physical development, and at one time was, C. J. Kortright alone excepted, the fastest bowler in England. As a batsman he was poor, but he enjoyed one pronounced success, making 62 not out at Old Trafford in 1898 against the bowling of Mold, Cuttell, and Briggs. After dropping out of county cricket he continued to play for the M.C.C., and, in a match against Lewes Priory on the Dripping Pan, Lewes, as recently as 1908, bowled a bail off the wicket 149 feet six inches, sending it over a fourteen feet bank and a wall on the boundary.

The following Deaths occurred during 1909, but particulars were not recieved in time for inclusion in WISDEN's ALMANACK for 1910

MR. HERBERT AWDRY, who was born in 1852, died at Winchester, on December 13th, 1919. He was educated at Winchester and New College, Oxford, and was in the former Eleven in 1870. He was a fair batsman and a useful bowler.

MR. STEYNING BEARD, a staunch supporter of Sussex cricket, died at Hove on December 13th, 1909, at the age of 64.

MR. W. C. BOTEJUE, a well-known Ceylon cricketer, died at Bambalapitiya on December 27th, 1909, at the early age of 27. He was a sound batsman, a good fast bowler, and a fine field. In 1906 he was a member of the Ceylon team which visited Bombay.

MR. WILLIAM BROCKIE, at one time one of the foremost of American cricketers, died in New York City on November 4th, 1909, He was born at Birkenhead on June 28th, 1864, but learned the game in United States. As early as 1882 he obtained his first experiene of international cricket, and two seasons later, when only 19 years of age, visited England a member of the Philadelphia team. On the tour he scored 369 runs with an average of 111.42, his best innings being 113 not out against Scarborough, when he and Stoever (100) added 178 together for the ninth wicket in ninety minutes. He was invited to join the Philadelphian team which came over in 1889, but the claims of business prevented him from doing so. He was a sound and stylish batsman with good hitting powers, and one of the most brilliant fieldsmen ever identified with the game in America. For many years he was committed with the Germantown C.C., and the success with which the C. C. met from 1889 to 1899 was in a large measure due to his captaincy. He played frequently for the United States v. Canada and for the Gentlemen of Philidelphia against visiting teams.

SIR DONALD CURRIE, K.C.M.G., the famous shipowner and philanthropist, who was born at Greenock on September 17th died at the Manor House, Sidmouth, on April 13th, 1909. He was the donor of the Currie Cup, which has been the means of increasing the popularity of the game in South Africa.

MR. HAROLD LITTLEWOOD DAWSON died in Northern Nigeria on November 16th, 1909, at the early age of 34. He made capital scores for Streatham, and in 1901 played for Surrey at The Oval against the West Indians.

MR. JOHN W. DIXON, who was born at Settrington, on December 16th, 1869, died at Brooklyn, (N.Y.), on December 16th 1909. For the last seventeen years of his life he was with the Manhattan C. C. of which he was at the time of secretary and treasurer.

PREBENDARY CHARLES THOMAS FRAMPTON, the wicket-keeper of the Harrow Eleven of 1840, died at Chiehester, on December 6th, 1909, at the age of 88. In his three completed innings against Eton and Winchester he made only 15 runs, but in the second of innings of Winchester he stumped two and caught one. He did not succeed in obtaining his Blue at Cambridge.

MR. EDWARD ALBERT KNIGHT, a member of the Sussex County C.C. Committee, died at St. Leonard's on December 29th, 1909, at the age of 47.

THE REV. PHILIP EDWARD MILES, died on May 1st, 1909, in his seventy-ninth year. He played for Harrow in 1847 and two following years, and in the six Public School matches was only once on the losing side, Eton winning by nine wickets in 1847. Against Winchester he made 11 runs in five innings, but in the matches with Eton he scored only 13 in six. He did not obtain his Blue at Cambridge.

MR. W. H. MONTGOMERY, who died at Ottawa on May 1st. 1909, at the age of 34, was born at Etobicoke, York County, Ontario, and educated at Upper Canada College, where he was in the Eleven in 1890 and 1891. At the time of his death he was considered the best fast bowler in Canada. He played for several years with the Rosedale C.C. (Toronto) and Winninpeg and latterly in Ottawa, and in 1908 appeared for Canada v. United States, taking five wickets for forty runs.

MR. THOMAS OWEN POTTER, who played for Lancashire against Surrey at Edge Hill in 1866, died at Hoylake, in Cheshire, on April 27th, 1909, aged 64. That was his only appearance for the county, and he scored 39 and O. His brother, Mr. W. H. Potter (who survives), assisted Lancashire in 1870.

MR. HERBERT PRESTON, U .B., J.P., died at Exeter on December 22nd, 1909, at the age of 68. He had been a member of he M.C.C. since 1869 and for several years played for the Incogniti.

MR. EDWARD RILEY, of the New York Veterans' Cricket Association, died in Paterson, New Jersey, on November 29th, 1909. He was born at Coventry, in England, on January 1st, 1845.

THE REV. CHARLES HENRY WALKER, of the Harrow Eleven of 1852, died at Walkhampton, Devon, on June 28th, 1909. He did very little against Winchester and Eton, and did not obtain a place in the Oxford Eleven. He was contemporary at Harrow with some of the Walkers of Southgate, but was not related to that family. He was born on December 28th, 1833.

© John Wisden & Co