Henriques returns after severe jaw injury
Australia allrounder Moises Henriques has played his first match since breaking his jaw in three places following a collision with Surrey team-mate Rory Burns during a Natwest t20 Blast game in June. Henriques captained an NSW City side against NSW Country on Sunday and made 34.
Henriques had to have three surgeries to fix his jaw, after Burns' knee crashed into his head while they were attempting the same catch in Arundel. The match was abandoned after 18.4 overs because both players had been knocked unconscious and were attended to by medical staff and taken to hospital by ambulances.
"I still have a little bit of vertigo but I don't get it when I'm playing or training, I only get it when I'm trying to sleep or lying down," Henriques told Fairfax before the game. "All is okay at training, I'm training at 100% and I'm not holding back and I am definitely not scarred mentally. I'm definitely raring to go and can't wait until the start of the season."
Henriques, who plays for New South Wales and Sydney Sixers said he had not been hit that hard even while playing rugby league. "It was just one of those things, we both went for the ball and neither of us knew we were there - and that happens.
"Getting through the first three surgeries and making sure it was healing properly and getting over the concussion was the priority."
Henriques, who has played three Tests, six ODIs and four T20Is for Australia, said he was looking forward to opportunities to represent the country again, following the retirement of several players after the Ashes defeat in England. His last game for Australia was a tri-series ODI against England in January.
"A lot of the key performers were the younger players in Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood and Steve Smith and they'll be around for a long time," Henriques said. "However, with Michael Clarke, Chris Rogers, Brad Haddin, Shane Watson and Ryan Harris retiring there's been a loss of a lot of experience at the same time."