England name squad for First npower Test against Australia
England today named a 14-man squad for next week's 1st npower Test Match against Australia at Edgbaston. (July 5-9)
Surrey's Mark Ramprakash is included in the squad as cover for Graham Thorpe whose place is in serious doubt due to a strained right calf.
Ashley Giles and Craig White, who missed the two-match npower Test series against Pakistan through injury, both return to the squad together with captain Nasser Hussain who missed the Old Trafford Test with a broken thumb.
Chairman of Selectors, David Graveney, said: "We currently have injury concerns about three players, Michael Vaughan, Ashley Giles and Graham Thorpe. Graham is the most serious concern at present and we will need to check the fitness of all three players at Edgbaston next week.
"While the selectors did consider the worst case scenario in relation to injuries, we have decided to call up only one extra player as cover at this stage. We will review the situation, however, once the players are at Edgbaston and their injuries have been assessed by Dean Conway.
"Mark Ramprakash is an experienced Test player with a good record against Australia and he has been in excellent form for his County this season. We feel he represents the best option as a cover player given the doubts about Graham Thorpe's fitness."
England physiotherapist, Dean Conway said: "Graham Thorpe saw a second specialist in London yesterday regarding his calf injury and we are currently awaiting the results of tests. He continues to experience tightness in the calf while running and turning. While he has not been ruled out of the Test, at this stage he remains a serious doubt."
"Michael Vaughan had an injection in a damaged cyst in his left knee earlier this week and Ashley Giles has reported stiffness and soreness in his Achilles after a lengthy bowling spell for Warwickshire last weekend. We are more optimistic about Michael and Ashley's chances of being fit for selection and will make a further assessment following practice at Edgbaston next week."
England Squad for 1st npower Test
- Nasser Hussain (Captain); D.O.B 28.3.68; Tests 60
- Michael Atherton (Lancashire); 23.3.68; 110
- Andrew Caddick (Somerset); 21.11.68; 45
- Dominic Cork (Derbyshire); 7.8.71; 33
- Ashley Giles (Warwickshire); 19.3.73; 7
- Darren Gough (Yorkshire); 18.9.70; 51
- Matthew Hoggard (Yorkshire); 31.12.76; 2
- Mark Ramprakash (Surrey); 5.9.69; 42
- Alec Stewart (Surrey); 8.4.63; 110
- Marcus Trescothick (Somerset); 25.12.75 11
- Graham Thorpe (Surrey); 1.8.69; 68
- Michael Vaughan (Yorkshire); 29.10.74; 11
- Ian Ward (Surrey); 30.9.73; 2
- Craig White (Yorkshire); 16.12.69; 18