England news October 9, 2013

Strauss, Hussain among those out of England running

Andrew Strauss, Angus Fraser and Nasser Hussain are among a host of potential candidates who have all confirmed they are not in the running to replace Hugh Morris as managing director of England cricket.

Speculation had linked several former England players with the role that becomes vacant in January but Hussain has now made it clear that he has never applied or been approached for the job and Strauss has confirmed that, after a period of consideration, he has decided the time is not right for him to move into administration.

"I'm flattered that some people have put my name forward but no thanks," Hussain told ESPNcricinfo. "I have not been approached for the job, I have not applied for the job, I have just signed new contracts with Sky and the Mail and am very happy doing what I am doing."

Fraser took a similar stance. Having made a fine impression as director of cricket at Middlesex, he admits he met David Collier and Giles Clarkes, the chief executive and chairman of the ECB, and the job was of fleeting interest. But ultimately he has committed himself to Middlesex.

"I have not applied for Hugh's position and will not be doing so," Fraser told ESPNcricinfo. "Because of the news coverage of me being a possible replacement and having thought about applying I met David Collier and Giles Clarke separately to listen to what they had to say and inform them of where I am at face to face rather than just leaving an empty unexplained void.

"I wish to stay at Middlesex because I have not come close to completing what I want to achieve with the club and because I still enjoy the day to day contact I have working with and trying to develop players."

Strauss admitted the job had been of interest but, having thought about it, decided taking on such a role barely 18-months after retiring as a player might be a problem. While he suggested he would like such a position in the future, he said he was enjoying his media work at present and would be reluctant to give that up.

"I think it is a great job, an important job, one that needs to be done properly," he told the Telegraph. "But is it the right time for me? I'm still close to the players. And there are a lot of other things I would like to pursue.

"I don't just want to be an observer forever. But I enjoy the balance I have at the moment. I loved being in the commentary box. I didn't miss the pressure that Alastair Cook was under. That was very familiar to me."

Mike Atherton, another former England captain who has enjoyed a smooth transition into the media, also confirmed he had not been contacted by the ECB about the position, while Nick Knight told ESPNcricinfo he was "surprised" to see his name connected with the role.

"It sounds like a great job, but not a job for me," he said. "I have not applied and nor will I be."

Clare Connor, who has head of women's cricket at the ECB arguably has the role most similar to that of Morris, also ruled herself out of the running.

"I thought about it long and hard," Connor told ESPNcricinfo. "And, yes, some senior colleagues did encourage me to apply. I also spoke to Hugh about the role and eventually came to the conclusion that the time was wrong for me. I have unfinished business in the women's game.

"There is a misconception in the media that this role is as MD of the England team, but it's much broader than that. It involves strategy across men's and women's cricket, about the performance centre, about managing science and medicine and all the talent pathways. It is a vast job and a wonderful opportunity to make a difference. I probably would be interested in a few years.

"But what I would say is that, perhaps only five years ago, it probably would have seemed absurd to suggest a women could fulfil such a role. It shows how far we have come that it has been seriously considered without gender being an issue."

George Dobell is a senior correspondent at ESPNcricinfo

• BIG_BRY on October 10, 2013, 8:58 GMT

How about Chris Lewis? After all, he's not up to much at the moment so I'm sure he could spare the time......

• BIG_BRY on October 10, 2013, 8:55 GMT

Cyril....Please....Derek Pringle?

• hhillbumper on October 10, 2013, 8:36 GMT

Atherton would have been a good choice given his depth and knowledge.Can't see him going for all the politics and back stabbing though despite his experience in Sky.Strauss would have been a good choice.

• on October 10, 2013, 6:46 GMT

Guys, go get someone from SA. After all we've got pretty lucky with their players.

• Cyril_Knight on October 9, 2013, 21:05 GMT

I nominate Derek Pringle, a giant of English cricket. There is no other candidate.

• SirViv1973 on October 9, 2013, 17:33 GMT

Of Course Hussain, Strauss & Atherton wouldn't be interested. They all have their dream job getting well paid working for sky!

• sidrrrs on October 9, 2013, 15:25 GMT

I think it's going to be Mike Watkinson or Martyn Moxon.

• on October 9, 2013, 15:14 GMT

Give it to "Bumble"..He,ll sort the mess out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• geedubnz on October 9, 2013, 12:59 GMT

Nasser Hussain denies he's in the running. No one ever thought you were in the running Nasser.

• on October 9, 2013, 12:50 GMT

Got to admit I agree with landl47.....Fraser would have been a good choice if he was available. Still close enough to players to understand their needs and who the current form players are as well as having been retired long enough to not have baggage with the current players. Strauss is too soon retired and for some reason I would never consider Nasser or Atherton management material. Left-field call might be James Whitaker who did a decent job at Leicester and is now a selector so has worked within the ECB and knows the set-up well

• BIG_BRY on October 10, 2013, 8:58 GMT

• BIG_BRY on October 10, 2013, 8:55 GMT

Cyril....Please....Derek Pringle?

• hhillbumper on October 10, 2013, 8:36 GMT

• on October 10, 2013, 6:46 GMT

• Cyril_Knight on October 9, 2013, 21:05 GMT

• SirViv1973 on October 9, 2013, 17:33 GMT

• sidrrrs on October 9, 2013, 15:25 GMT

I think it's going to be Mike Watkinson or Martyn Moxon.

• on October 9, 2013, 15:14 GMT

Give it to "Bumble"..He,ll sort the mess out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• geedubnz on October 9, 2013, 12:59 GMT

• on October 9, 2013, 12:50 GMT

• landl47 on October 9, 2013, 12:33 GMT

It's an important role, but of those mentioned only Fraser seems to have the credentials for taking it on and he has ruled himself out. Being an England captain and a commentator does not prepare a person for this job. Look among the successful administrators in count cricket for the right candidate.

It will be a pity to lose Hugh Morris, who did an excellent job. He was prepared to take a position and stick with it even when he got little support if it was the right thing to do- like his stance on the DRS, where he was the only one prepared to take on India over their non-participation.

The healthy state of English cricket now is in good part due to Morris' leadership. May his successor have similar qualities.

• CricketMaan on October 9, 2013, 12:28 GMT

N Srini is keen to take on such posts. Go for him.

• No featured comments at the moment.

• CricketMaan on October 9, 2013, 12:28 GMT

N Srini is keen to take on such posts. Go for him.

• landl47 on October 9, 2013, 12:33 GMT

• on October 9, 2013, 12:50 GMT

• geedubnz on October 9, 2013, 12:59 GMT

• on October 9, 2013, 15:14 GMT

Give it to "Bumble"..He,ll sort the mess out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• sidrrrs on October 9, 2013, 15:25 GMT

I think it's going to be Mike Watkinson or Martyn Moxon.

• SirViv1973 on October 9, 2013, 17:33 GMT