India news

'It is like being selected for the first time' - Yuvraj

ESPNcricinfo staff

August 10, 2012

A message of support for Yuvraj Singh, Australia v India, Commonwealth Bank Series, Adelaide, February 12, 2012
"I had told myself that I would come back one day," Yuvraj Singh said © AFP

Yuvraj Singh compared his return to cricket after being picked for the two Twenty20 Internationals against New Zealand and the World Twenty20 "like being selected for India for the first time."

The selection is expected to mark Yuvraj's return to the Indian team for the first time in just under 12 months during which he was diagnosed with a rare germ-cell cancer called mediastinal seminoma. After undergoing chemotherapy in the USA for close to two months, Yuvraj has been training in the NCA for the last six weeks with the aim of getting back into the Indian team.

On being told that he had cancer Yuvraj said he had told himself, "that one day I would come back and play for India again. I was determined to do that. However much I had to go through with the cancer, I kept the faith because I wanted to step on the field again one day. Today I've got the news that I am going to be stepping on the field again. I am ecstatic. I can't wait to step on the field and wave the Indian flag!"

He said that while the fitness and recovery reports from the NCA had been encouraging enough for him to expect being selected again, "Everyone was talking about whether I should be picked or not, so I wasn't sure. I heard the [selection] news on the TV. It is as if I was being picked for India again - that same feeling that I can't explain."

While he said he had not been in touch with the selectors while training at the NCA for the last six weeks, he said the fitness reports would have indicated to the selectors that he had made enough progress. The BCCI had been, "very supportive," he said, of his recovery programme and that the selectors had showed, "immense confidence in me. I want to thank a lot of people, friends, colleagues, doctors, physios and trainers for this day."

His return to training over the last two months was preceded by a light two-week training programme, "to get into that training mode." It was the first three weeks of actual training at the NCA, Yuvraj said, which "were the toughest because the body was not used to the pain you get from training." But he said that he began to get more used to the regimen, "and after six weeks of training, I think I am now in good shape." He said, "I have another month or so to go for the World T20 so this month is going to be very crucial for me getting ready." It was expected that Yuvraj would play a few games in the Buchi Babu invitational tournament before the two T20 games against New Zealand. However, it is now learnt that an attempt is being made to ensure that Yuvraj gets some match practice with the white ball which may take place at NCA.

Yuvraj's target for his return to international cricket were the two T20s versus New Zealand to be played in Visakhapatnam on September 8 and Chennai on September 11. About his plans on making a comeback to the ODI and the Test teams, he said, "ODIs and Tests are tougher on the body, but T20 is the place to start. I hope to get stronger for longer formats with time."

Posted by FR3AKX on (August 13, 2012, 17:18 GMT)

Welcome back Champ, you've already showed this world what you can do by winning both T20 and ODI world cups for India. Now you've also shown what a true fighter you are by overcoming all odds against a life-threatening disease and making a comeback to play for INDIA again. You have all the best wishes and prayers of more than a billion Indian fans in and around the world and I'm sure your comeback will inspire many other sportsman to "BECOME FIGHTERS NOT QUITTERS". All the best and hope you win another WC and become a legend - A true FIGHTER and TEAM PLAYER.

Posted by Dravid_Pujara_Gravitas_Atheist on (August 12, 2012, 14:48 GMT)

Welcome back Champ! Wish you the very best. Don't focus on the results. Just play Champ. Blessings to you. Did you stop smoking Champ? Hope you did.

Posted by coolindianfan on (August 12, 2012, 13:18 GMT)

come on champ it will be a magic moment if he does perform well. but deep down i dont know how practical it is. but none the less he is a fighter .i want him and india to do well in the t20 wc

Posted by SoverBerry2 on (August 12, 2012, 9:40 GMT)

Best Wishes... make Test come back too...

Posted by jagan81 on (August 12, 2012, 5:31 GMT)

hi yuvi, i'm more happier for you. congrats. show the world who you are!!! i knew it is difficult to show the form you were in world cups!!! recently i like u so much, bcos ur attitude has changed a lot may be you were getting matured!!!hats off to you!!! yuvi dont forget you have all the qualities of becoming a legend!!!!

Posted by Naresh28 on (August 11, 2012, 21:59 GMT)

YUVI's fan following is very high. I remember during ODI WC he vowed to win the cup for INDIA and some senior players. Type of player that inspires others.

Posted by Hardy_1984 on (August 11, 2012, 21:55 GMT)

What a fighter he is :) He is great hero .. a gem of person and gem of player.. i love you YUVI..!!! you are the man you have great talent and you proved you are the best. You won the T20 and World CUP for India. I am sure you will win T20 again for India. You won the world cup of cancer.. God bless you

Posted by lankanlioncric on (August 11, 2012, 20:14 GMT)

a good cricketer, welcome back to cricket -SL fan

Posted by theRule19 on (August 11, 2012, 17:48 GMT)

Real fighter..Welcome back to Int'l arena..Kudos to BCCI for selecting him. Hope he does well for Team India. Wish you all the best..Yuvi.

Posted by nom118 on (August 11, 2012, 16:48 GMT)

As a Pakistani supporter...I have a very few Indian players who are favorites....plus Yuvi performs well against Pak more often then not....but to b honest...i cant resist admiring his batting and breathtaking shots...he is one of my all time fav left hander along with Lara....so wellcome back Yuvraj

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 14:10 GMT)

Welcome back Yuvi..i don't know why but yourcome back makes me feel like someone very close to me may be a brother has been selected.I will pray and i know that you will be the performer right from the first inning and will answer the losers questioning your match fitness and declaring your selection as emotional.

Posted by contactmhatre on (August 11, 2012, 13:31 GMT)

Yuvi,

I as a person have taken great deal of inspiration from you, the way you had complete conviction over yourself, the way you handled your illness, that is really commendable. In today's world where there is an expansion of negative behaviors and thoughts, it becomes very difficult to think and maintain a positive attitude, and you did that with sheer guts and courage. Hats-off to you, mate!

Posted by Gupta.Ankur on (August 11, 2012, 13:09 GMT)

This is a emotional decision rather than a practical one...Saw his photo in the papers today and looked far from full match fitness.

And the biggest worry......where's the batting practise? He's now SRT or lara to be nailing them to the boundaries without a single match practise.

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 11:59 GMT)

yuvraj ur one of the best alrounders india is having best of luck! make a good comeback or a debut the worldcup hero.

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 11:29 GMT)

USAIN BOLT!!! repeats the HISTORY by defending 100m/200m olympic title!!!...YUVI will also prove his legendary status by Helping Team INDIA to get the T20 Worldcup for the second time!!! :) Yuvi u can!!!!... MAN of WORLD CUPS!!! :)

Posted by kaviraj99 on (August 11, 2012, 7:23 GMT)

Yuvi, you are a legend. No one can stop you. We will expect brand new explosive in T20 WC.

Posted by veerakannadiga on (August 11, 2012, 4:48 GMT)

God loves you, he feels that you have some more duties to fulfill for India and Indian cricket. That's the reason he defeated cancer. Yuvi with a mom like that & fans like us,no way cancer would have won over you. You are one of those rarely gifted gem that has been handpicked by god to serve India & Indian cricket.You have always made us proud. Good luck for your future.God Bless Us All.AMEN.

Posted by   on (August 11, 2012, 4:26 GMT)

Great come back!!! You are the hero of the 2 world cups in 2007 and 2011. There is no possibility of a T20 team without you for a world cup. Try your best. It does not matter if you dont perform upto expectation. Your comeback to the team itself is a boost for other players.... You lead as an example for all cancer patients...

Posted by sixesandfours on (August 11, 2012, 3:39 GMT)

Welcome back Yuvi - Keep praying and be positive and work towards your training and fitness and game in the midst of challenges you are going to encounter. Your never giving up will inspire millions of cricket fans around the world. Keep up the good work and let your bat and ball speak to your body and give the best to cricket fans. All the best.

Posted by torsha on (August 10, 2012, 22:01 GMT)

Love you Yuvi! All the best!!

Posted by Naresh28 on (August 10, 2012, 21:58 GMT)

YUVI you will be setting a new standard for the whole WORLD. A real INSPIRATION for all cancer patients of the world. Wish you all the best.SPORTSMAN throughout the world are already saluting you.

Posted by   on (August 10, 2012, 21:19 GMT)

great cricketer. if he will get his form back, no one can stop india reaching semifinals. wish him best of luck. and hope we r going 2 see another semifinal between pakistan and india where 2 t20 specialists, yuvraj and our gulldozer will face each other.

Posted by Vilander on (August 10, 2012, 21:13 GMT)

Yuvi try your best, but it does not matter. You are the world cup hero for us.

Posted by Cpt.Meanster on (August 10, 2012, 19:15 GMT)

Wishing you well Yuvi but don't you feel it's a bit early ? I feel you have rushed your involvement with cricket while you could have rested another year more. Anyway, good luck and rock on as always !!

Posted by boyie83 on (August 10, 2012, 18:58 GMT)

@shahbazhussain......... well said! Get well Yuv, true talent... from a West Indian

Posted by gunnerz on (August 10, 2012, 18:40 GMT)

@shahbazhussain: You are a true cricket fan.... I remember me and my friends saddened on demise of Aleem Dar's daughter and same as Saeed Anwar's. Its Cricket which unites everyone despite firece rivalry between India and Pakistan. Hope Yuvi makes a dream comeback with a bang!!

Posted by hyped on (August 10, 2012, 18:16 GMT)

so happy to hear this news gr8 lends balance to the team can bowl 4 overs along with sehwag,raina,kohli,rohit though i must admit he is the best of them all...

Posted by   on (August 10, 2012, 17:11 GMT)

Yuvi! Yuvi! v Yuvi! Yuvi! We love you man. Congrats and I wish you to hit another six sixes. What a player you are!!! I will be excited to c u on field.

Posted by   on (August 10, 2012, 17:09 GMT)

I am a big fan of Yuvi. Good to see him back. Good luck and all the best.

Posted by   on (August 10, 2012, 16:52 GMT)

I am sure we are gonna see a very different yuvraj. Perhaps its time for him to get into tests soon.I just hope his body is able to recover cos i am sure he is lot more hungrier now than ever. all the best man!! dont stop keep going!

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (August 10, 2012, 16:43 GMT)

@shahbazhussain on (August 10 2012, 15:36 PM GMT)...I will follow your words sir. Great character you have, so i Salute you.

Posted by   on (August 10, 2012, 16:00 GMT)

WECOME BACK TO TEAM INDIA YUVI,BUT IT IS NOT TOO EARLY ? It is important to have Yuvraj singh Healthy

Posted by shahbazhussain on (August 10, 2012, 15:36 GMT)

I am Pakistani and I always praised Yuvi when he is destructing the opponents even if Pakistan was the opposition. I like Yuvi's game and his attitude towards getting success is so astonishing. The same germs i find in only one man after him the one and only Virat Kholi. These two guys are true assets of Indian Cricket. I really really love them when they have bat in their hands. I prayed for Yuvi to get well soon and Allah has listen to all of us. He is going to be back in the field. I know how a mother/father feel when one of their children is going through such disease. I am a parent and never want any child to go through any of such harmful disease. Let us all pray for everyone regardless of religion so we all will enjoy the 4 days of this very short life. May Allah bless you me and all. Thanks, Shahbaz from Pakistan!

Posted by crickiguy on (August 10, 2012, 15:13 GMT)

Nothing but RESPECT for this guy!! To defeat cancer and get back on the field of competitive sport takes a different spirit altogether.Wish you all the success in the world Yuvraj Singh.

This will inspire a lot of people who fight different types of hardships in life. Fighting spirit is all that we need to succeed.

Posted by   on (August 10, 2012, 15:06 GMT)

you are the master of indian cricket's !

Posted by surathvictor on (August 10, 2012, 14:59 GMT)

Good luck Yuvi..We are not Indians, but still we are with you...

Posted by   on (August 10, 2012, 14:53 GMT)

Great guy! Great player! wish him all da best!

Posted by Htc-Baseball on (August 10, 2012, 14:27 GMT)

Bring on a fairytale career.

Posted by praveen4honestremark on (August 10, 2012, 14:27 GMT)

Welcome back Yuvi. Just work hard as you are doing to be match fit and you will be a great asset for India then for winning t20 world cup.

Posted by mangat083 on (August 10, 2012, 14:15 GMT)

If india win the t20 world cup.Then Yuvraj will be Man of the series again.i m sure about this.. Just hoping to see yuvraj thrashing the bowlers all over the place.And also taking some crucial wickets with his bowling..I think we will see a new yuvraj much more passionate and determined than ever... ..

Posted by RKMenon on (August 10, 2012, 14:09 GMT)

Good Luck to Yuvi. But the BCCI needs to be more clear on their selection process. It's rudimentary that player's form is more important than emotions.....

Posted by sweetspot on (August 10, 2012, 14:01 GMT)

Welcome back Warrior Prince! You have fans from more than one nation for sure waiting for you to start your second innings! Just do it for yourself now. You have done enough for others.

Posted by gannyboy on (August 10, 2012, 13:54 GMT)

yuvi yuvi yuvi you the man

Posted by jamfai on (August 10, 2012, 13:53 GMT)

Welcome back Yuvraj and best of luck. Hope you do well!

Posted by Fast_Track_Bully on (August 10, 2012, 13:51 GMT)

All the best Yuvi! We are waiting for you.

Posted by Haleos on (August 10, 2012, 13:36 GMT)

Remember your fans too Yuvi. Fans from all over the world prayed for you. It was very heart warming to see the fans from Pakistan sending their good wishes and prayers. Dont forget all the fans.

Posted by Haleos on (August 10, 2012, 13:32 GMT)

Good luck Yuvi. You are going win us another world cup. No pressure. LOL.

Posted by   on (August 10, 2012, 13:22 GMT)

It is Great to see him Comeback such a Talented Player with Lot of Determination to hit the Ground Again... Good Luck Yuvi..

Posted by CricketMaan on (August 10, 2012, 13:05 GMT)

Good luck, but he needs to be honest with himself. if he feels not ready after those 2 T20s against NZ, he should pull out.

Country Fixtures Country Results
1st Semi-Final: KKR v Hurricanes at Hyderabad (Deccan)
Oct 2, 2014 (16:00 local | 10:30 GMT | 06:30 EDT | 05:30 CDT | 03:30 PDT)
2nd Semi-Final: Kings XI v Super Kings at Hyderabad (Deccan)
Oct 2, 2014 (20:00 local | 14:30 GMT | 10:30 EDT | 09:30 CDT | 07:30 PDT)
India A v West Indians at Mumbai (BS)
Oct 3, 2014 (09:00 local | 03:30 GMT | 23:30 EDT | 22:30 CDT | 20:30 PDT)
India A v West Indians at Mumbai
Oct 5, 2014 (09:00 local | 03:30 GMT | 23:30 EDT | 22:30 CDT | 20:30 PDT)
1st ODI: India v West Indies at Kochi
Oct 8, 2014 (14:30 local | 09:00 GMT | 05:00 EDT | 04:00 CDT | 02:00 PDT)
Complete fixtures » | Download Fixtures »