Tendulkar retires November 17, 2013

Sachin Tendulkar post-retirement press conference

ESPNcricinfo staff

• chaitanya. on November 17, 2013, 19:30 GMT

I miss u a lot sir,I think in my life I will never see a legend like u.but one thing sir I will tell my future generations that I have seen a great person who was born to play cricket that is u...thank you a lot sir. .we miss you a lot. ............if I said anything wrong thn please excuse me sir........ ..........

• dummy4fb on November 17, 2013, 17:17 GMT

Dear Sachin, I am from Bangladesh. I do remember your game in 1992 World Cup. I was young. My father told me this is the man who will inspire you to play good cricket in your youth life. Actually it did happen. I used to pray for you every time you bat against any nation outside subcontinent. But the moment my country got ODI and Test status, honestly I prayed for a duck whenever you played against my country. I believe you will not mind for this honest confession. I truly enjoyed your batting against Wasim, Waqar, Murlidharan, Warne, Donald, Ambrose, Walsh, Lee, Shoeb Akhtar, etc. Sad part of life is that, I never realized I am going to miss your live game till the last one. In my busy schedule many a times I didn't look for your live game thinking you are there, may be next match. Now I realized next will not come anymore. My children's will see you in you tube and surely they will say "Dad why didn't you utilize your chances to watch his batting live?"

• srisri on November 17, 2013, 16:02 GMT

I have been Sachin fan so long like many. Wonderful to see the gr8 man retire in a fitting way. However, I do feel, while Sachin single handedly inserted self-belief into Indian team and carried for decades, it was Virendra Shehwag who started the massacre in tests and started winning the tests for India rather than drawing them. Remember Viru is the only Indian to score a triple century, not once but twice!! I really feel sad, if Sehwag's career ends in the present status.

• adson80 on November 17, 2013, 15:42 GMT

I think it was the perfect time for the retirement! - Thank You Sachin for all those memories that will live with us until our last breathe. We Love You Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar

• android_user on November 17, 2013, 15:28 GMT

It is wrong on our part to expect sportsmen to play only till the peak of their form. The beauty of sports lies in athletes struggling against injury,loss of form and coming back to perform again. we the audience owe each sportsmen this struggle and this fight. Sometimes they will win, sometimes they will fail. Such is life.

• Lets_Bash_Indians on November 17, 2013, 15:22 GMT

his 200 was in 2010. sorry for the wrong information.

• Lets_Bash_Indians on November 17, 2013, 15:06 GMT

LOL some people saying he shud have retired after WC 2010 ,,, dude it is 2011. & the ones saying that he is playing for records after 2011. Shouldn't Jaques Kallis Must retire he's 37 and playing the worst.SHouldn't Mahela Jayawardene must retire now. he's 38, his team is struggling & he's making piles of runs. nobody says a word to these guys , But when it comes To Sachin Everyone Runs Their Mouths. RISE ABOVE HATE

• Lets_Bash_Indians on November 17, 2013, 14:55 GMT

if sachin WOULD have retired in 2011 according to some people,,, how could we witness the first ever 200 in ODIs.,, come on people RISE ABOVE HATE,,,,,

• sumit1982 on November 17, 2013, 14:42 GMT

If sachin belongs from the other state of India he should have quit cricket earlier due to pressure from BCCI. Pressure that mount on the rahul dravid,laxman and sourav ganguly for which they have to quit cricket earlier.

• Fan1969 on November 17, 2013, 14:23 GMT

Sachin has passed on what he imbibed to the present generation.

Many keep writing he should have retired after WC.

IF he was SELFISH he would have retired after WC and have an average of 56.94 (same as Jack Hobbs). His numbers would then have been more daunting and GOD like than the humanness we have witnessed.

SRT wanted to make India win. Ganguly had retired. Dravid, Laxman were already out of ODIs and retired after the horrifying Aussie tour. Unfortunately even Sehwag, Gambhir started to slide & SRT took the mantle onto himself to rebuild India batting.

He helped rebuild the team and that is why we could beat Aus 4-0 at home, something that has never happened earlier.

His work ethics will stand the present generation like Kohli, Pujara, Rohit, Dhawan and Murali in good stead. He INSPIRES them.

If he had retired along with Dravid, Laxman I doubt we would have a strong confident batting line-up like today.

I give SRT credit, you may choose not to.