Tendulkar retires

Sachin Tendulkar post-retirement press conference

ESPNcricinfo staff

November 17, 2013

Posted by chaitanya. on (November 17, 2013, 19:30 GMT)

I miss u a lot sir,I think in my life I will never see a legend like u.but one thing sir I will tell my future generations that I have seen a great person who was born to play cricket that is u...thank you a lot sir. .we miss you a lot. ............if I said anything wrong thn please excuse me sir........ ..........

Posted by   on (November 17, 2013, 17:17 GMT)

Dear Sachin, I am from Bangladesh. I do remember your game in 1992 World Cup. I was young. My father told me this is the man who will inspire you to play good cricket in your youth life. Actually it did happen. I used to pray for you every time you bat against any nation outside subcontinent. But the moment my country got ODI and Test status, honestly I prayed for a duck whenever you played against my country. I believe you will not mind for this honest confession. I truly enjoyed your batting against Wasim, Waqar, Murlidharan, Warne, Donald, Ambrose, Walsh, Lee, Shoeb Akhtar, etc. Sad part of life is that, I never realized I am going to miss your live game till the last one. In my busy schedule many a times I didn't look for your live game thinking you are there, may be next match. Now I realized next will not come anymore. My children's will see you in you tube and surely they will say "Dad why didn't you utilize your chances to watch his batting live?"

Posted by srisri on (November 17, 2013, 16:02 GMT)

I have been Sachin fan so long like many. Wonderful to see the gr8 man retire in a fitting way. However, I do feel, while Sachin single handedly inserted self-belief into Indian team and carried for decades, it was Virendra Shehwag who started the massacre in tests and started winning the tests for India rather than drawing them. Remember Viru is the only Indian to score a triple century, not once but twice!! I really feel sad, if Sehwag's career ends in the present status.

Posted by adson80 on (November 17, 2013, 15:42 GMT)

I think it was the perfect time for the retirement! - Thank You Sachin for all those memories that will live with us until our last breathe. We Love You Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar

Posted by   on (November 17, 2013, 15:28 GMT)

It is wrong on our part to expect sportsmen to play only till the peak of their form. The beauty of sports lies in athletes struggling against injury,loss of form and coming back to perform again. we the audience owe each sportsmen this struggle and this fight. Sometimes they will win, sometimes they will fail. Such is life.

Posted by Lets_Bash_Indians on (November 17, 2013, 15:22 GMT)

his 200 was in 2010. sorry for the wrong information.

Posted by Lets_Bash_Indians on (November 17, 2013, 15:06 GMT)

LOL some people saying he shud have retired after WC 2010 ,,, dude it is 2011. & the ones saying that he is playing for records after 2011. Shouldn't Jaques Kallis Must retire he's 37 and playing the worst.SHouldn't Mahela Jayawardene must retire now. he's 38, his team is struggling & he's making piles of runs. nobody says a word to these guys , But when it comes To Sachin Everyone Runs Their Mouths. RISE ABOVE HATE

Posted by Lets_Bash_Indians on (November 17, 2013, 14:55 GMT)

if sachin WOULD have retired in 2011 according to some people,,, how could we witness the first ever 200 in ODIs.,, come on people RISE ABOVE HATE,,,,,

Posted by sumit1982 on (November 17, 2013, 14:42 GMT)

If sachin belongs from the other state of India he should have quit cricket earlier due to pressure from BCCI. Pressure that mount on the rahul dravid,laxman and sourav ganguly for which they have to quit cricket earlier.

Posted by Fan1969 on (November 17, 2013, 14:23 GMT)

Sachin has passed on what he imbibed to the present generation.

Many keep writing he should have retired after WC.

IF he was SELFISH he would have retired after WC and have an average of 56.94 (same as Jack Hobbs). His numbers would then have been more daunting and GOD like than the humanness we have witnessed.

SRT wanted to make India win. Ganguly had retired. Dravid, Laxman were already out of ODIs and retired after the horrifying Aussie tour. Unfortunately even Sehwag, Gambhir started to slide & SRT took the mantle onto himself to rebuild India batting.

He helped rebuild the team and that is why we could beat Aus 4-0 at home, something that has never happened earlier.

His work ethics will stand the present generation like Kohli, Pujara, Rohit, Dhawan and Murali in good stead. He INSPIRES them.

If he had retired along with Dravid, Laxman I doubt we would have a strong confident batting line-up like today.

I give SRT credit, you may choose not to.

Posted by   on (November 17, 2013, 14:15 GMT)

he shud have quit in 2011

Posted by K_Srini on (November 17, 2013, 13:50 GMT)

Thank you Sachin for giving a big identity to Indian cricket. Needless to say what you have done to Indian & World cricket. You would always remain in hearts of millions for your cricket & humility. We are proud to be your fans. God bless & wishing you a wonderful & successful innings with your family & future assignments.

Posted by SanjayMMS on (November 17, 2013, 13:45 GMT)

Better late than never! I think the retirement should have happened in 2011, but I guess only the likes of ordinary greats like Sehwags and Laxman get dropped by selectors.

Posted by suresh.sure06 on (November 17, 2013, 13:42 GMT)

@Sorcerer,we have all seen what happens to a team when all the seniors retires at the same time,prime example is aussies,look at them they have skills but mentally they are lagging to play the long innings required,he delayed his retirement since he doesnt wanted to leave a hole in the middle order and also to pass on the wisdom to the young guns like kholi,sharma,dhawan,pujara.come on man we see the statistics no player at the international level takes these statics big,all they want to is to succeed all the time whenever they went to play for india.he has played for 24 yrs and we dnt have better knowledge then the legends like Sir Don,Viv richards, they all have praised him.NO ONE CAN EVER PLAY A STRAIGHT DRIVE like him. Please respect him for what he has done.he played the 1999 worldcup match against ZIM the next day of his father death,thats says it all.

Posted by joshilay on (November 17, 2013, 12:34 GMT)

He should retired after WC2010!!!

Posted by braghava on (November 17, 2013, 12:29 GMT)

Folks, many of us are carried away by emotions, tend to forget that SRT was playing far below his levels, was in poor form and he should have retired many years ago - or at least after 2011 World Cup win. He was simply playing for his personal statistics and blocking the career of other youngsters who could take his spot. No doubt, he is the greatest batsman INDIA ever produced. SRT took the baton from Gavaskar? That is nonsense. Unlike Gavaskar, SRT didn't consider his personal stats to be more important than his team or result. But did SRT fall into the stats trap and dragged his career meaninglessly. When SRT entered international cricket, I believed he would be the next Viv Richards. But unfortunately he conducted himself as a greatly glorified Gavaskar (minus Gavaskar's attitude). I sincerely wish we don't see another Gavaskar ever. Wish SRT all the best post retirement.

Posted by Ishfaq333 on (November 17, 2013, 12:16 GMT)

Okay Yes.. Sachin is retired and that is a significant moment in cricketing history. But the first Ashes Test is this week. And everything I see on the home page is about Tendulkar. I mean there was no Ashes quicklink until today. No player is greater than the game itself and a retirement should not be celebrated this much.. Especially when we've been longing for the dude to hang the towel for sooooo long now..

Posted by   on (November 17, 2013, 12:13 GMT)

Watched the farewell with my parents sitting behind me, Lump in the throat(So I was silent), Eyes were filled with tears( So did not look at my parents). I am 33 now and have Spent 22yrs of my life seeing You, Idolising you, Trying to be like you( Nice human)....Your farewell speech should be inducted into Universities and Colleges which will inspire everyone to dream and achieve their goals with passion and determination ofcourse not with shortcuts as mentioned. You will be truly missed each time Indian team is on the field. Lump in the throat again while writing this message. You are a messenger of God who has been sent to Earth to unite people of different races. Love You Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar and #ThankYouSachin

Posted by nagi084 on (November 17, 2013, 12:08 GMT)

Your emotional speech was showing what character You are.I heard so many people in the will be called as great persons by their profession.But I Saw only one guy who has shown his gratitude to the people who are supporting me to get success in his life.He is none other than.......Sachin ramesh Tendulkar

Posted by milepost on (November 17, 2013, 11:54 GMT)

The right time to stop was three years ago.

Posted by   on (November 17, 2013, 11:50 GMT)

The last few days was an emotional for most of the Indians as well as cricket lovers over the globe. All the legends of yester years have sung their appreciation of the little master's achievement over more than two decade. Distancing from the cricketing analysis or technicalities of the batting, what makes this little master a top of others was his no nonsense behavior and composed temperament. Even off the stadium right from the day he started his career till he bid farewell. This is the most unachievable quality by any yard stick. We have seen so many great personalities in various sports and every one,would have been in some or other controversies. We have not come across any such occurrences from this gentleman. "BHARATH RATHNA" much suited to this man than any other person as it is practically impossible to survive without any controversies for nearly 24 years such a big county. Credit should go to his family also for his quality of indisputable career. Good luck gentleman!

Posted by Sorcerer on (November 17, 2013, 11:49 GMT)

He should have retired after the '11 WC. Dragging his career just to make up numbers merely corroborated the belief in many that his prime motive had been personal milestones. Had Tendulkar retired two years ago, Rohit Sharma may well have already gained excellent experience all round.

Posted by   on (November 17, 2013, 11:48 GMT)

Hats off Legend.. You had perfect qualities more than cricket. I salute u as a Srilankan true cricket fan. wish you all the best and May God bless abundantly

Posted by   on (November 17, 2013, 11:47 GMT)

First half century against PAK, Enthralling innings at Auckland, Sharjah century against Aussies, first century at Manchester, centuryat Perth etc are still reverberating afresh! 24 years gone!!! Still my memory is with that baby faced little Tendulkar. When Gavaskar retired from Test cricket, Tendulkar took the batton and he took test cricket to new heights.. but now who will......?????

Posted by   on (November 17, 2013, 11:33 GMT)

So tendullkar said Aussie shud include jhonson in ashes squad

Posted by usapsunil on (November 17, 2013, 11:22 GMT)

Respect for SRT , it is not important to be a intelligent , it important what you do with it , and you have shown us , with hardwork and dedication any thing is possible ... great .

Posted by timus6778 on (November 17, 2013, 11:11 GMT)

fewer words more significant were spoken by him in his career or anyone for that matter. i wish he played for eternity.

Posted by   on (November 17, 2013, 11:04 GMT)

prasannatpj: VVS was offered a farewell series in his hometown, but he rejected. He showed his anger on the public, rather than on BCCI. Dravid gracefully quit on his own before a series was offered. We will never know what happened between BCCI and Sachin, but not all was rosy; despite that, he thanked BCCI in his farewell speech. Now, that is greatness!!

ESPNcricinfo staffClose