Tributes TributesRSS FeedFeeds

A writer of defiance and beauty

Cricket and the English language were the twin loves of Peter Roebuck's life, and in his hands they forged a fine partnership

Harsha Bhogle

November 13, 2011

Peter Roebuck, 2001
Roebuck: a forthright, rasping style that took getting used to © Getty Images

Peter Roebuck is born to write about cricket in the manner Sachin Tendulkar is born to play it. The right grammar, style, substance, and the occasional rasping statement that takes your breath away. Peter wraps cricket in fine clothing; he lends the weight of words to the deeds that a Tendulkar performs.

Indeed, I have long felt that the writer needs to look upon himself as a performer, in much the way the sportsman does. Peter does that. He will be the first to admit, though, that his barely legible scrawl did the words he meant to shape no credit at all! They deserved better, and when the impersonal typeface finally replaced the medieval shapes he created, it came almost as a relief.

Peter once told me of the twin loves in his life - cricket and the English language. In his hands they forged a fine partnership, the equivalent of Greenidge and Haynes, Hayden and Langer. The relative timelessness of Test cricket, the sub-plots within the larger story, the personalities who seem to have enough time to pose for a writer, all create a game that demands the beauty of words and a writer to produce them. And yet the game suffers in its obsession with the end-of-day "quote", a collection of words that have no feelings, coming from men who are far better at putting bat to ball. Peter bucks that trend and does so with a combination of defiance and beauty. He gives you a reason to read the newspaper even if you have watched the day's play.

I met Peter for the first time in a commentary box, though his forthright, rasping style took some time getting used to. I hope he doesn't remember much of that first session of commentary in Brisbane in November 1991, for, unable to pick his accent immediately, I could offer only a slightly stupid grin to most things he was saying. As that summer wore on, and many more after that, I looked forward to the experience, because Peter always challenged you with his views. He made you think, and you worried about a sentence you had let go lightly.

Peter the commentator is little known outside Australia. Sometimes one skill can overpower another (how many remember what an extraordinary fielder Viv Richards was?) but he brings a different air to broadcasting. Where Peter's writing in the newspaper shows the love the English have for the language, in the commentary box he is Australian: direct, unafraid to be blunt and perfectly capable of saying in 10 words what his column the next day will take 100 words to dwell over. I like both facets to his personality, but there is a greater permanency to writing.

I don't remember when I first sampled his works. By the time I went to Australia in 1991, Roebuck was already the king of the written word in my eyes. Like good home cooking, the precise moment of discovery is lost in a world of pleasure

I can see why Peter is more Australian than English now. Australians are rather more feisty, game for a difference of opinion, holders of strong, often intractable views, and yet perfectly capable of laughing over a drink at the end of it all. I suspect they secretly admire people with a contrary point of view. The English, on the other hand, a bit like the Indian brahmins, tend to pronounce judgement rather than debate it; occasionally the conversation will grow cold. With his strong views on the game, Peter took to Australia like the great white did to its coastal waters.

I can't imagine Peter in a jacket and tie amidst the establishment at Lords. If I had to paint him, it would be in a loose shirt, slightly dreamy eyes beneath the glasses, with his straw hat looking like it was nicked from a lampshade. He would be sitting in a corner of the press box, an occasional darting comment ("Why isn't that Harbhajan going round the wicket?") interrupting the words settling around his thoughts.

But there is more to Peter than the mere magic of words, and that by itself is not to be trifled with. He understands the subcontinent better than most, has strong views on Zimbabwe and South Africa, and has an acute sense of history. You can see that in the metaphors that abound, the awareness of politics, the grasp of history.

I don't remember when I first heard his name or indeed sampled his works. It might have been the lone season Sunil Gavaskar played for Somerset, when suddenly I heard names like Denning, Rose, Roebuck and Slocombe. And by the time I went to Australia in 1991, Roebuck was already the king of the written word in my eyes. Like good home cooking, the precise moment of discovery is lost in a world of pleasure.

By then I had decided I wanted to write like Peter: the keen observation mingling with the precise metaphor, and then the throwaway line delivered, like by an actor who knows he has the audience in his grip. I gave up pretty quickly - I might have been condemned to an unfulfilled life otherwise.

An autobiography is a different genre of writing from, say, an expression of joy at another Gilchrist swashbuckler. Peter manages it with equal élan, and his grandmother emerges as much a heroine as some of the stars he writes about. Luckily for Peter he too has a long innings ahead of him; maybe he will want to laugh a lot more. After all he has even learnt to use a laptop!

Harsha Bhogle is a commentator, television presenter and writer. His Twitter feed is here

RSS Feeds: Harsha Bhogle

Posted by jaanson on (November 15, 2011, 3:52 GMT)

lovely article harsha. i dare say that if roebuck was born to write just like tendulkar was born to play cricket then you are born to give commentary. sad about the ciorcumstances . hope it does not take away from his literary accomplishments

Posted by RohanMarkJay on (November 14, 2011, 2:35 GMT)

A nice tribute Harsha. Yes I was in Australia when India toured in 1991/92.The Australian sports press was abuzz at the time that amongst India's touring party was a brilliant young teenage stroke maker by the name of Sachin Tendulkar in his first appearance in Australia. I was listening to the radio at the time and an indian commentator by the name of Harsha Bhogle came on. As he did so among the Australian commentators and Harsha Bogle, a new commentator suddenly came on the radio speaking with English accent. I was curious to know who the new radio commentator was commenting so eloquently about the game. The commentator's name was Peter Roebuck. People forget he was just as good a radio commentator or TV presenter as he was a writer. .His commentating was especially interesting compared to others, he would connect a passage of play with quotes from famous writers and quote from classical literature in the English language as he being well read person.Pete Roebuck will be missed.

Posted by   on (November 13, 2011, 17:32 GMT)

Shocked and deeply saddened to hear about the suicide of Peter Roebuck.He could paint a lovely good word picture and i always looked forward to his erudite,ethreal writing in his columns..Flowin text and prose like non pareil.i shall miss em so badly!His Book "It never rains"-a day by day account of an English County Professional(1983) is an absolutely un-putdownable page turner and a must read for all Cricketers..Came across as so Erudite,tortured Genius of a soul..He was a great fan of the game and his views were succinct and one of a Kind..Would be sorely missed.William Shakespeare of Cricket jornalism!R.I.P.Peter.

Posted by   on (November 13, 2011, 13:21 GMT)

Roebuck was probably the best neutral cricket commentator and visionary , and dare i say the best one.. hope his soul is at rest now.. and thanks for your impeccable articles which made reading such a delight.

Posted by ak2207 on (November 13, 2011, 13:21 GMT)

I am shocked. I first read a piece by Peter Roebuck in 2004 and was delighted by the synergy by its crisp, clean neutrality and eloquence - qualities which held true for every single piece I read from him after that. I would always click on a piece on the cricinfo homepage when I saw it was written by him. Deeply saddened by this news and unfortunately I will not have the pleasure of reading from him any longer. Although I did not know him, I feel the world has lost a great man, condolences to his family and Rest In Peace Mr Roebuck. My heart goes out to you

Posted by bumsonseats on (November 13, 2011, 13:06 GMT)

sad but was not that keen on his work. and always i thought he had a chip on his shoulder and did not give much to the country of his birth. as a traveler many times to australia i found his newspaper pieces quit to the point. dpk

Posted by   on (November 13, 2011, 12:12 GMT)

Some commenters here seem to have missed the context. Harsha has written this piece in 2004. That is mentioned at the beginning!

Posted by Arun_Esquire on (November 13, 2011, 11:00 GMT)

What part of "This piece was first published as the introduction to Roebuck's autobiography, Sometimes I Forgot to Laugh, 2004" have all you good chaps not understood?

Posted by Al_from_OZ on (November 13, 2011, 10:59 GMT)

Harsha you are surley going to miss him this summer in OZ. I used to love listening to both you and Peter in the commentary box. RIP Peter.

Posted by   on (November 13, 2011, 10:32 GMT)

Very nice article. Although when I started reading it, I wasnt sure if this was an article for Roebuck or Tendulkar. Nevertheless RIP

Posted by   on (November 13, 2011, 10:23 GMT)

One of the greatest Cricket Writers ever...with unbiased & sensible perspective..RIP Peter.

Posted by akpy on (November 13, 2011, 10:09 GMT)

sad that even harsha has to resort to using sachin's name to attract attention (mostly unwanted like ian_ghose) to the article..

Posted by   on (November 13, 2011, 8:41 GMT)

Very sad. A wonderful columnist of our times. We will surely miss him and his views on the game of cricket. I particularly want to mention the stand he had taken during the infamous ind-aus sydney test where he crticised aus for not playing the game in right spirit.

Posted by   on (November 13, 2011, 7:42 GMT)

RIP Peter ...but was there any need to mention Sachin at all in this article??

Posted by   on (November 13, 2011, 7:37 GMT)

Oh my God,I am Shocked.I always make an extra effort to read his articles.He is a charismatic, fiercely honest in his opinion.Never misses an opportunity to appreciate the good, criticize the bad and hate the ugly. May his Soul rest in peace.

Posted by Sreerang on (November 13, 2011, 7:17 GMT)

Shocking and sad news. Harsha, I am sure you could have done a much better job, but probably, you are still in a shock. Peter's writing was compulsive reading. One really looked forward to his columns. And the one quality that stood out was the complete neutrality in his writings. One could never guess his nationality from his written word. A true lover of the game. We all are poorer in his unfortunate demise. RIP Peter and thanks a ton for all those lovely words.

Posted by ian_ghose on (November 13, 2011, 6:08 GMT)

Mr. Bhogle, an ordinary choice of simlies, and yet by choosing those you have, almost accidentally epitomized what Peter Roebuck was all about. Only the staunchest of Indian supporters would find pleasure in Tendulkar's tredge and lumber as he huffs and puffs for every international run - and thats what Roebuck writing wasn't. What it was definitely about - was a sense of writing and reporting above ordinary blows of nationalism. I found it unique in the way he could call a spade a spade, without fear of a backlash and alienation. I remember reading in one of your articles Mr. Bhogle as to how you deem it necessary to fabricate the broadcast for an India-centric audience, which I'm sure Mr. Roebuck would have certainly risen above. Mr. Roebuck's writing is indeed beautiful, but to me, its the defiance that makes it even more so. RIP - Peter Roebuck.

Posted by   on (November 13, 2011, 6:04 GMT)

Gem of An Article Harsha! RIP Peter!

Posted by   on (November 13, 2011, 5:48 GMT)

Fantastically written. RIP Peter.

Posted by   on (November 13, 2011, 5:48 GMT)

Fantastically written. RIP Peter.

Posted by   on (November 13, 2011, 5:46 GMT)

Oh my God, no, this cannot happen.

Posted by timus6778 on (November 13, 2011, 5:27 GMT)

you were definitely the best cricket analyst...RIP Peter.

Posted by   on (November 13, 2011, 5:12 GMT)

Cricketing world lost a great coulamist, RIP Peter.

Posted by   on (November 13, 2011, 4:40 GMT)

Brilliant Mr Bhogle I would love to emulate you and now when I see you wanted to emulate Roebuck I feel even more assured. Love this article of yours, tears in my eyes :) :(

FeedbackTop
Harsha BhogleClose
Harsha Bhogle Harsha Bhogle is one of the world's leading cricket commentators. Starting off as a chemical engineer and going on to work in advertising before moving into television, he is also a writer, quiz host, television presenter and talk-show host, and a corporate motivational speaker. He was voted Cricinfo readers' "favourite cricket commentator" in a poll in 2008, and one of his proudest possessions is a photograph of a group of spectators in Pakistan holding a banner that said "Harsha Bhogle Fan Club". He has commentated on nearly 100 Tests and more than 400 ODIs.

'As you get older, you come to appreciate the tough times'

Jimmy Adams talks about the West Indian love for fast bowling, batting with Lara, and living a dream for nine years

Bhuvneshwar on course for super series

Numbers Game: Only 15 times has a player achieved 300 runs and 20 wickets in a Test series. Bhuvneshwar could be the 16th

Time to pension off the seniors?

Rob Smyth: If England are going to win nothing, history suggests it might be worth their while to win nothing with kids

'Smith's record in India is an aberration'

Modern Masters: Rahul Dravid and Sanjay Manjrekar discuss Graeme Smith's terrific record in different conditions

Losing to India

Nicholas Hogg: An Englishman discovers cricket fervour in India and realises he can't quite win a game against Indians even back home

Ridiculed Ishant ridicules England

Ishant Sharma has often been the butt of jokes, and sometimes deservedly so. Today, however, the joke was on England

Vijay rediscovers the old Monk

The leave outside off stump has been critical to M Vijay's success since his India comeback last year. Contrary to popular opinion, such patience and self-denial comes naturally to him

England seem to have forgotten about personality

They have to see a glass that is half-full, and play the game as if it is just that, a game; and an opportunity

Ishant's fourth-innings heroics in rare company

In India's win at Lord's, Ishant Sharma took the best bowling figures by an Indian in the fourth innings of a Test outside Asia. Here are five other best bowling efforts by Indians in the fourth innings of Tests outside Asia

Another battle, another defeat on Planet Al

Alastair Cook has got used to feeling of the axe hanging over him. Only his team-mates can save England now