Muttiah Muralitharan

'I am happy people are not asking me to go'

Sidharth Monga in Galle

July 17, 2010

Muttiah Muralitharan trains ahead of his final Test, Galle, July 17, 2010
Muttiah Muralitharan retires from cricket as the all-time leading wicket taker in Tests and ODIs © Associated Press

Murali the Magician. The Greatest Ever Bowler in the World. One and Only Murali. Spin Wizard. Thank you Murali. Another Milestone. I can bat too! A Glorious Cricketing Career.

All the stands, temporary and permanent, at the Galle International Stadium, bear an imprint of Sri Lanka's greatest cricketer. Simple hoardings with Murali on them and a message saying thank you and goodbye. There are, of course, small advertisements on these hoardings, but that is the reality of modern cricket.

"Everything will be like Murali," said Jayananda Warnaweera, the chief groundsman in Galle, on what was in store for the farewell.

Muttiah Muralitharan is not overwhelmed. Not much has overwhelmed him in his career, but he likes what he sees. "I would like to thank the cricket board and the groundsman, [Jayananda] Warnaweera, for arranging such a great thing in Galle," a not-overly-emotional Murali said. "It is a great honour for me to retire like this."

The last week must have been an interesting time for the offspinner, who is approaching the end of something special, something satisfying - a journey that brought trials as much as it did joy; brickbats as much as applause. Murali, though, said he hasn't been thinking about all that. "I never dreamt I would be finishing like this," he said. "I think I had a great finish because I have done very well in Test cricket. You can't get the record easily; so many people have tried and I am the best at the moment. Because of that, I have no regrets.

"God has given me everything, I am fulfilled with that. I am not sad, I am very happy with what I have achieved and I am glad I am going out in a good manner because people are not asking me to go. They are asking me to stay. Still I want to go because this is the manner I want to go out in. I am not dreaming about any past performance or anything. I am thinking only about the next match, finish well and retire properly.

Starting the match eight wickets from the 800-mark, Murali, who has almost every aggregate record to his name, is not worried about numbers. Enjoying this last game, he said, was more important. "If I could take eight in the first innings, Sri Lanka will win easily. It is not going to be easy, they have such a good batting line-up.

I will try all my tricks in the middle for the last time. Let's see if it works or not. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I am going to really enjoy the game rather than thinking about how many wickets I am going to need. Just enjoy the game and not put much pressure on myself. If I didn't get a single wicket or if I take five wickets, I will be very happy."

Sidharth Monga is a staff writer at Cricinfo

RSS Feeds: Sidharth Monga

Posted by   on (July 22, 2010, 10:38 GMT)

Murali all the best man .... you are the greatest bowler ever on earth.... everyone knows that.... thank you for all the excitement you made in spin bowling and it was great to witness you since the start of the carrier. There will be only one Murali and we are sad that the chapter is ending but you choose to go at a high and we salute you. We all love you and wish you all the very best in post test life....

Posted by Mutukisna on (July 21, 2010, 4:35 GMT)

To put it simply to all cricket fans, Sobers was the greatest alrounder, Bradman the greatest batsman and Muralitharan the greatest bowler. Kevin Pietersen paid the greatest tribute to Murali in the post match interview after the 2006 Test in England by calling him an absolute genius. To the few doubters, we rest our case and say no more!

Posted by   on (July 20, 2010, 7:52 GMT)

Besides umpires, cricketers who called <b>Murali the Chucker/ Thrower</b> (1) New Zealand Martin Crowe, Mark Richardson (2) Australia: Umpire Ross (in match with west indies) and Darrell Hair (3) Barry Jarman, a former Australian wicketkeeper and the ICC match referee who first expressed misgivings about Murali's action in the early 1990s, railed. "It makes a joke of the game - it makes me sick talking about it," he said. "Everyone knows he bowls illegally. I saw a photo in the paper the other day and put my old school protractor on his arm. It was bent at 48 degrees. I put it up in the pub to show everybody."

Whatever a sri lanka may say... Murali is a choker and a thrower

Posted by   on (July 20, 2010, 7:18 GMT)

Let me set the record straight for Murali and Lankans who are ga ga over Murali. Murali is a chucker which is clear from his action. Muttia was regularly called for his choker action by umpires of repute who were fortunately not Indian. As far as Srilankan and their game is concerned, I remember that their umpires were as good as Pakistani umpires when the age of neutral umpires, third umpire was absent. Even Lasith Malinga is a side arm thrower. Sri Lanka can never win any match if they play decently with bowlers/ batsmen who are clean and were never in controversy. ICC rules were bent by might of India. While Bishan Singh Bedi, Anil Kumble, Shane Warne will be remembered as king of spins, Muttia will always be Chucker King

Posted by TruSport on (July 20, 2010, 2:53 GMT)

Let's set the record straight for Murali. Let's examine all of the facts and establish the truth. It is a fact that his elbow bends when he bowls. However, when ICC made a study, they found that almost every bowler's elbow bends at the time of delivery (Mcgrath was among the worst offenders BTW). Initially ICC came up with a decision that the bending will be restricted to 7 inches for spinners and 15 inches for fast bowlers. Then there was the question became how to distinguish a fast bowler from a spinner and also why discriminate. Eventually ICC decided that they will allow 15 inches of bending of the elbow for all and decided to clear Murali. So make things clear for attention hungry Bedi and other self appointed critics Murali has a perfectly legal action. Now legal action or not, claiming 800 test wickets has not been achieved before - even during the times where there no such close scrutiny of the bowling action that makes this persons record astounding. Celebrate Murali!

Posted by Murtaza. on (July 19, 2010, 19:37 GMT)

mr, Zap Paz and Kunwar Hemant Singh you never know about spin bowling or Murali, I don´t know why you Indians are like this, I do not know why Bishan sing Bedi think that he was better spinner then Murali, I think no one rememberhim there for. But maybe you both have played only gully cricket and you just couldn´t bear that player like Murali is not from your country thats why you are jalus... I am sory for you.

Posted by   on (July 19, 2010, 14:17 GMT)

I am glad that the chucker is going

Posted by henchart on (July 19, 2010, 14:06 GMT)

Ever watched a Javelin thrower use a cricket ball and take 792 wkts?Muralitharan is that person.

Posted by   on (July 19, 2010, 14:05 GMT)

In the years to come, I will be able to tell people that I had the privilege of watching and cheering on the nation's greatest cricketer. Murali, you will always be the best and you deserve your place among the ranks of cricket's legends. No doubt in future matches there will be tense moments when we will catch ourselves saying, "If Murali was here, he'd win this match for us!" Good luck for your final matches, lucky 800!

Posted by   on (July 19, 2010, 11:33 GMT)

For the first time due to him only .. the cricketing world started fearing off spin bowling ... even the best players of spin bolwing .. Indian and Pakistanai or even Srilankan(For those who played Murali in IPL) ... he is always been a big obsatcle in their path. One thing i personally think ..... there is some difference in the Murali majic we have seen in Subcontinent and rest of the world .. which needs to be changed by Murali for becoming the best ever bowler cricketing world has ever seen ... this is where Shane Warne has the upper hand. But taking nothing away from the black magician ... i think he has done that for Srilanka which Sachin has done for India... he has turned Srilanka from a minnow team into one of the best teams in the world. Wishing you Luck and Happiness for rest of his life.

Posted by harikeshan on (July 19, 2010, 11:01 GMT)

@ Kunwar Hemant Singh- Dont jump on the bandwagon just because Bishen Singh Bedi feels Murali is Chucker. In that case Harbhajan Singh also needs to be banned. Bishen Singh Bedi can sing till he goes blue in the face but the ICC Cleared Murali. The numbers prove it.

Posted by Kaushalya_Gurudeniya on (July 19, 2010, 7:36 GMT)

@all who called Murali a Chucker

If Murali is a chucker, then, Shaun Tait, Micheal Johnson, Afridi, Aktar and so may of them are also chuckers. They all bent their arm a bit when they bowl.

You should remember, ICC once done a survey and it proved that similar to 90% of the bowlers are bending their arm 15 degrees to maximum including some old players too.

So would you call them also chuckers!

And i don't understand can a bowler gets that much of wickets just by chucking. Then i can get 800 wickets too. because i can chuck the ball better than anyone.

Posted by HarisMohmad on (July 19, 2010, 4:48 GMT)

Murali an extraordinary class act. Some jealous people try to end his career but he always came stronger and shut their mouth with his performance and his discipline and attitude. I salute to his career and personality. I hope nobody can break his and tendulkar's any record except an asian.

Posted by   on (July 19, 2010, 3:42 GMT)

the true legend and the most loyal person in world cricket with smile on his face

Posted by   on (July 19, 2010, 2:16 GMT)

Murali had no match............ he was someone who forced youngsters to take up OFF SPIN seriously......It was kind of magic which Abdul Qadir brought with him in 80s.... Although Qadir ended up with less than 250 wickets...it was his Protege Shane Warne who went ahead.....May we live up to see someone as dynamic as Murali ONCE more in our lives....coz.....he was more TERROR than a FAST BOWLER ever dreamt of.......more PAINFUL than any hit on the BOX cud be.....and more FUN for anyone who luves the GAME...........waiting for his 800th wicket!

Posted by GEBF on (July 19, 2010, 1:13 GMT)

This is What " M- U- R- A- L - I " stands for :

M = Mesmerising U = Unique R = Respected A = Admirable I = Irreplaceable

Thanks Murali & MAY GOD BLESS U

Posted by Sageleaf on (July 18, 2010, 20:47 GMT)

Well added to list of ignorant people who loves cricket is Kunwar Hemant Singh. I'm not sure who you are but you excused. There were more prominent people who called Murali a chucker…like the ex Australian Prime Minister, Umpire Ross Emerson, and Bishen singh bedi. Well guys live with it. You have your opinion and we have ours. Murali is being cleared by ICC and that's it. He is the greatest bowler in both formats and his record in test cricket may not be broken for a long time. Murali has a deformity and still he achieved so many things in life. I really feel sorry for guys who just talk nonsense and have not achieved and thing in life. Kunwar just have a goal and go for it without criticizing another human being. At least then you may have peace with yourself.

Posted by IJustLoveCricket on (July 18, 2010, 16:24 GMT)

You should be really glad coz' ICC let you play for such a long time with that action of yours... And people are not asking u to go coz' they know it's very hard to replace a legendary chucker like you.....

Posted by   on (July 18, 2010, 16:03 GMT)

It s career of much trials and tribulations as much the fanfare. but u have walked past everything with you simplicity and conquered it all. That is what makes you a true legend for cricket and for Sri Lanka.

Posted by Lion_of_Lanka on (July 18, 2010, 15:07 GMT)

@ Kunwar Hemant Singh : Who told you that Bishan Bedi? No one cares about what you say..whether you like it or not he is the highest wicket taker in ODI and test plus the greatest bowler ever according to the bible of cricket - Wisden

"If u don't trust me den try bowlen with dat action yourself n u wil get d answer" Geez I cant run as fast as Usain Bolt so he must be cheater....Think before you type

Posted by fr600 on (July 18, 2010, 14:11 GMT)

I'd love to see him taking his 1000th wicket. If only one person deserves this glory, he but no one else does.

Posted by   on (July 18, 2010, 13:48 GMT)

We will surely miss you in test cricket. :( :(

Posted by   on (July 18, 2010, 13:25 GMT)

though im an indian...i want srilanka to win this match!! murali deserves a victory more than the 800 wicket mark!! also, him being a tamizhan makes even prouder!!

Posted by sfak on (July 18, 2010, 12:40 GMT)

I have a feeling he might end up on 799 wickets as Bradman ended up on average of 99.

Posted by MH1971 on (July 18, 2010, 12:14 GMT)

People who do not know more about cricket only blaming his action. Poor fellows who faliled to afford to the cobweb of great cricketing Spider only raised questions over his action. His record will be eternal although Murali has revealed that Harbajan can be a true contender to his achivement. However, taking wicket alone never bring such Uniqueness but need supreme Moral commitments of the nature that Murali exposes.We still rememebr Harbajan / Sreesanth saga which I believe history will not stick away from that.

Posted by   on (July 18, 2010, 12:07 GMT)

You should be glad that you were allowed to play albiet a wrong bowling action

Posted by   on (July 18, 2010, 12:03 GMT)

He is famous his bowling and he is talkative, but he never baosted about his bowling. That's why he is the greatest.

Posted by   on (July 18, 2010, 11:58 GMT)

@ chandau ...dude MURALI is a CHUCKER n m glad he will no more be playen cricket. Prior to murali every chucker was stopped n banned, but because of dese asian cricket boards' financial clout he survived. Whateva d bend, 15 degrees or 20, it was allowed for MURALI the CHUCKER. He cud bowl leg spinners wid a perfect action n without any bend but he chose to bowl off spinners. With his type of bowlen action it is practically impossible to bowl without a bend. If u don't trust me den try bowlen with dat action yourself n u wil get d answer.

Posted by Apolloniac on (July 18, 2010, 11:36 GMT)

Thanks for the entertainment, the magic and the memories Murali. More as a fan of cricket and less as a fan of Sri Lankan cricket, I believe that your contribution to the game would be difficult to best. A I believe that the measure of your greatness is in the simple fact that you have been the best on the field as a player and the best both on and off the field as a gentleman. In any comparison to other bowling greats, the difference is that they lacked the ability to behave like gentlemen in the face of adversity whereas you smiled your way through more setbacks than they would ever have dreamed of with that geniality and decorum that will never leave you even if your bowling fails you in the years to come. Have a great retirement with your family and the very best to you in the future. Thanks once again.

Posted by artyom_pokunov on (July 18, 2010, 11:16 GMT)

We respect you Murali. . You are one of the great bowler of cricket history. . . But you are the best human in cricket. . So,don't be rude after making fun of Sanath. . . Sanath is also best in his field as like you. . . My humble request to SL people please keep patience. . Sanath will come back with great form. . . Just answer me my question if Sanath plays well then nobody will argue against his age, form. . . So, be human . . Sanath also doesn't like to out after making low score. . . If you look at Murali's record his form is also bad from last 2 years. While Sanath is out of form just before 1 year not more. . . . I am dame sure Sanath will come back in World cup . . . Sl needs him badly. . . .

Posted by Headbandenator on (July 18, 2010, 10:55 GMT)

The comparison with Bradman doesn't really stack up. Aside from the inevitable difficulty of comparing a batsman (whose day can be over after one ball) with a bowler(who can be hit for 30 off 10 balls and still finish with 5-40), if Bradman played 132 tests as Murali has done so far, on a straightforward extrapolation, ignoring that Bradman missed some years of his prime during the war, he would have scored nigh on 18,000 test runs.

My view is this. Murali's action looks wrong. Lots of people thought so, including the powers that be, and Murali graciously submitted to tests. The findings of further research was that every bowler, apart from Sarwan apparently, flexes to some degree. So, a degree of tolerance was put into place, and Murali is thus legal. Whether you like it or not, Murali's performances, at least since the 15 degree flex was allowed, are legit.

For me, the most impressive aspect that despite everything, the man has conducted himself with laudable dignity.

Posted by Adolfhitler89 on (July 18, 2010, 9:35 GMT)

Murali is the greatest bowler of all time. Thank you Murali for entertaining us for so many years & leaving behind some wonderful memories. You are & will always be the best.

Posted by Crickybala on (July 18, 2010, 9:19 GMT)

What a class he his, things to learn for India " Please create a bowling match winner"

Posted by   on (July 18, 2010, 8:47 GMT)

@Ujjawal Sinha: Dude, ppl who dnt like Murali, who frightnd to face Murali says he s a chuker .. im really sorry for u guys dude.. law hs provd that he s not a chukcer.. u need to admit the reality .. Murali is the greatest bowler ever .. thats no wonder .. and we are so much proud of him... only few ppl like u hate Murali .. thats the nature .. v dont care ppl like u .. god bless u

Posted by   on (July 18, 2010, 8:15 GMT)

It is pointless to blame Murali because the world knows that the whole" Murali chuking thing" was a set up. The big and rich cricket playing world couldn't bare it when a dark man from a small, poor, third world country was winning matches single handedly & promising to be a cricket legend of all time. READ THIS & DECIDE. '' ONE OFFICIAL OF THE AUSTRALIN CRICKET BOARD INFLUENCED ME TO SAY THAT MURALI CHUCKED" ROSS EMERSON (MELBOURNE AGE- MARCH 2004 )

Posted by sukuviju on (July 18, 2010, 7:50 GMT)

To all those who claim Murali is a chucker, i have a question - a fast bowler can chuck and the ball will come much faster than a normal delivery. How can a spinner chuck and at the same time flight the ball. Somehow i am not able to understand the concept of a flighted chuck. Again, when Murali bowls, the ball comes out of the back of his palm along with a terrific wrist rotation - again i am not able to understand how chucking with wrist rotation, flight etc can all happen simultaneously. Finally we have to commend on his immaculate line & length which has nothing to do with chucking, also the fact that he bowls to his field and thinks the batsmen out. To me Murali is a champ, don't care what the Australians think. If Murali had been an Australian the rules of the game would have been different.

Posted by   on (July 18, 2010, 6:24 GMT)

If murali wont get 800 wickets doesnt matter bcos he is a masterclass bolwer no doubt

Posted by   on (July 18, 2010, 6:13 GMT)

Murali bowling action is always big question ? may be after some time ICC remove all his wicket .he is biggest chucker..and lanka team always prepare home pitch for murali . he must retire now before throw any bowl in this match.

Posted by   on (July 18, 2010, 5:08 GMT)

I have thoroughly enjoyed watching him bowl. A master of his art. Good luck and God bless for the future. Come and show our spinners how to do it!>!

Posted by   on (July 18, 2010, 3:55 GMT)

Thanks Murali for everything ... i still remember the day u took ur first wicket in 1992, creig mcdomart .. that day i ws not that much of concern for u, bt i remember i hd a hard time reading ur name on TV .. :) :) ur name is displyd as Muttiah M'daran .. i was wondering wths this "M'daran" means.. i ws an 8 years old kid at that time ;) ... i also rememberd u took ur 50th wicket in ur 13th test match, that ws in a paper..i think there onwards ppl ws amazed with ur perfromance .. u r a really good example tht SL is a place where anybody cn stay with peace n unity .. u r a Sri Lankan .. ur religion is Hindu, bt u r a Sri Lankan .. we r so proud of u Murali ... its really sad v gonna miss d real fun whn u comes to bat.. ur much concentrated eyes, huge sixes over mid wicket, n ur magic spin bowling... i think u took the correct decision at correct time.. leaving us with lot of memories that v cn talk @ any time with pride ... all d best murali ... test cricket wil miss you a lot ..

Posted by SharathforCricket on (July 18, 2010, 3:40 GMT)

Simply The Legend of Spin!! The Character speaks!!

Posted by Scgboy on (July 18, 2010, 3:14 GMT)

yes , this is indeed the end an Era , no doubts about it. a golden age for spinners warne , anil , mustaq and now murli ..kinda sad when you come to think about it.

Posted by   on (July 18, 2010, 1:33 GMT)

i don't care if he does not get to 800, but i would definitely be disappointed if he does not get to 798. getting to 798 will preserve his average of six wickets per match which is an outstanding record, considering that anything around the 4.5 mark over 90 tests is great. go murali, get those six wickets (eight would be better). dont suffer the same fate as Don Bradman in his last test.

Posted by   on (July 17, 2010, 23:28 GMT)

thak you for the memories

Posted by Jeremy72 on (July 17, 2010, 23:21 GMT)

Regarding the eight wickets Murali needs... at Galle he averages 7.5 wickets per test!!! I hope he doen't end up half a wicket short.

Posted by NISH67 on (July 17, 2010, 22:52 GMT)

Thank you Murali for all the joy and happiness provided to Sri Lankans all over the world ! With Aravinda and Sanath in his hey day ( not the impostor we see now ) , you have put Sri Lankan cricket on the map and given it dignity and self respect !

Posted by raghu86 on (July 17, 2010, 22:47 GMT)

Well, nobody is asking u to go. Just stay and play india and then wi. You can retire then if u really want to. But u r greater than what a lot of us r, and i really respect ur decision to go now with people begging for more. True champion style. The way warne did, the way mcgrath did. Not the way vaas or sanath played their last games. I hoped they too could have finished like that. Murali, we love u and we will always miss u.

Posted by thusi on (July 17, 2010, 22:45 GMT)

all the best murali. u are the greatest bowler ever bone but pls dont insult sanath saying that people didn't ask u to leave any cricket fan no what u meaning from that. pls ask marvan atapattu what he said about u during asia cup. u are the greatest bowler in sl. pls dont insult sanath.

Posted by   on (July 17, 2010, 21:57 GMT)

we gonna mis you......!!!

Posted by   on (July 17, 2010, 21:55 GMT)

I am Sri lankan, I wish india loose this series 3 - 0 for the goodness of cricket. Let murali finish on high note as well SL by the end of the series.

Posted by   on (July 17, 2010, 21:09 GMT)

First-class 231 66563 26806 1366 9/51 19.62 2.41 48.7

the guy broke every record possible with bowling, true champ he doesnt care about those 8 wickets.

I doubt his record will be broken .. ever

Posted by Murtaza. on (July 17, 2010, 20:25 GMT)

A true magician, An incredible bowler, I have seen 5 ever best cricketers as an all rounder Sir Garry Sobers, as a batsman Viv Richards, as a Fast bowler Wasim Akram, as a leg spinner Shane Warne and as a off spinner Muralitharan. forget the records just look at how best they were in thier buisnes, GREATS

Posted by Mark00 on (July 17, 2010, 19:04 GMT)

Best spinner of all time. He had unmatched variety and, before his injuries, had the ability to turn the ball square on asphalt.

Science absolved him, while indicting others, resulting in changes to the law to accomodate other bowlers from more influential countries.

Statistic has shown that he was, indeed, better than Warne. Warne has a worse bowling average despite benefiting from a higher percentage of cheap wickets of tail-enders.

He has nothing left to prove. The final match and the pursuit of 8 statistically meaningless wickets against the best players of spin is a daunting challenge. For Murali, it's one last chance to turn back the clock and lift his game as never before. This time, it's not for country, nor for money, but, purely, for style.

I can't wait.

Posted by manasvi_lingam on (July 17, 2010, 18:34 GMT)

No one is asking you, Murali to go. In fact, most of us want you to stay on and grab 800 wickets

Posted by SUMIT-KHULLAR on (July 17, 2010, 17:59 GMT)

long live MURLI.........its looking that a long epic has come to an end..........miss u...

Posted by Howzzat07 on (July 17, 2010, 17:53 GMT)

A true champion. Without a doubt the greatest bowler of all time and it is an end of an era. Good luck Murali. You've entertained us with your amazing abilities. It's almost fitting that Murali's last game will be against the game's greatest batsman, Sachin Tendulkar.

Posted by   on (July 17, 2010, 17:47 GMT)

Had the pleasure of watching a test match in Galle which is a stunning ground history and beauty in one the year before the tsunami I wept buckets after that event when I saw the devastation with a bus parked at mid on by mother nature. Due to the tour company I went with (TCTC) I was in the same room as the great man , quietly spoken chap with Roshan Mohanama (please forgive lousy spelling) acting as his voice. He will be very much missed , I come down on Warne's side not because he necessarily was a better bowler but because the impact he had at the start made spin get taken much more seriously in Oz and the UK (after a period of dart specialists) but the joyful look on his face when Murali has ball in hand will always have a place in my heart , and damn he was good too.

Posted by Lancan on (July 17, 2010, 17:34 GMT)

'I am happy people are not asking me to go'.... all I can say is, hope Sanath Jayasuriya is listening to his former team mate and do like wise and RETIRE from ODI SL Cricket!

Posted by arogyajanani on (July 17, 2010, 17:28 GMT)

murali u r a real champion & all his critics should just mind their job now..... he has been a match winner for srilanka for many years & now he has understood the game has changed & his body is tiring. good time to say good bye to the oldest form of the game... test cricket will lose another true legend who has dominated all the batsmen. best of luck for your future.

u r the man for CSK>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MURALI U BEAUTY, U ARE ANOTHER CHAPTER IN THE BOOK OF TEST CRICKET. GO & TRY UR BEST. MY INDIAN TEAM WILL DO ITS BEST BUT I PRAY FOR YOU TO GET YOUR 800 th WICKET OF THE no 1 TEST TEAM.

Posted by   on (July 17, 2010, 17:14 GMT)

Murali the greatest bowler ever.. if he got a number of matches that Shane Warne got in his best times.. sure he will get go over 900 wickets

Posted by Stromeon on (July 17, 2010, 17:13 GMT)

It will be a great shame to see probably the world's greatest bowler leave the international scene. Well done on a great career Murali we have enjoyed it very much - the entertaining batting as well. Hope he gets eight wickets to get to 800 - even though Warnaweera the groundsman has said he is not preparing a particularly spinning track i bet he is, being Murali's home ground and all that. Do really hope that Murali gets selected for 2011 World Cup - if Sri Lanka win that which they have a good chance of doing then it would give Murali great send-off.

Posted by   on (July 17, 2010, 16:50 GMT)

murali u are the best spinner ever and one of the best bowlers and sportsmen the world have seen. I really hope u can get 8 wickets and finish with 800 wickets well done again

Posted by HaVoKry on (July 17, 2010, 16:37 GMT)

The greatest spinner ever in the history of cricket, bar none. Murali you will missed.

Posted by   on (July 17, 2010, 16:03 GMT)

I agree on the point that Murali has called his shots at the right point. I wish Jayasurya for in that regard takes a cue and leaves with respect..

Posted by   on (July 17, 2010, 15:43 GMT)

Well Murali should take his 800th wicket.. I really want to see a bowler like Murli to reach this landmark houg I was expecting him to stay till his 1000th wicket but Srilankan board will not let him stay even if he wants to... Its good that he is retiring and I am sure tha no bowler like Murali will born in any cricket nation.....

Posted by Thunee_man_Naidoo on (July 17, 2010, 15:21 GMT)

I hope murali gets his 8 wickets :)

Posted by raghu86 on (July 17, 2010, 15:18 GMT)

I am an indian and a die-hard fan of indian team, but i also love murali and am too emotional that i won't see him bowl again in tests. I hope he picks 20 wickets in his last test and sl wins. And off course i hope india wins the next two and the series. And to those who think he chucks, well those science-defying illiterates can go to hell. I am sure they still think the earth is flat, coz thats how it looks to naked eye.

Posted by raghu86 on (July 17, 2010, 15:18 GMT)

Posted by chandau on (July 17, 2010, 15:13 GMT)

@superhemant : haters have no place in the gentleman's game. at kesat get ur facts right even to diss murali. the degree of flex aloowed for bowlers is 15 degrees. looser

Posted by ian_ghose on (July 17, 2010, 14:59 GMT)

I would actually like to see him use ALL his tricks...Off-late he seems to go into his shell a bit as soon as the batsman starts to attack his bowling. Hopefully in his last test, he would be able to give his all, without fear :-)

Cheers IG

Posted by JoseBautista on (July 17, 2010, 14:54 GMT)

Even though i am an indian fan, i hope murali gets his last 8 wickets to get 800 wickets. I will be supporting murali this match. After this he will be missed.

Posted by Januka on (July 17, 2010, 14:48 GMT)

Unquestionably Murali is the only Sri Lankan player in the recent years to retire with dignity. He will remain a legend for an eternity.

Posted by ravithecricbuff on (July 17, 2010, 14:32 GMT)

Compare Murli to Sachin. That suits well as both played in the same era....Kudos to Murli for being what He is, just like the GOD himself...Both are great in their own terms and incomparable to any cricketer past or present or even to come in future.

Posted by   on (July 17, 2010, 14:06 GMT)

we must give good farewell to murali. He is the only bowler who has taken wickets in all the condition. hats off to murali and srilanka will miss the legend. it is difficult to replace murali in the team.for the last two decades,he has shown great sportsmanship on and off the field. His record will not be broken forever

Posted by   on (July 17, 2010, 13:54 GMT)

Congrats on a wonderful Career Murali.You have picked the right moment to retire but you could have played the whole series instead of just the first match and get that Magic 800!

Posted by tigers_eye on (July 17, 2010, 13:52 GMT)

Hats off to a legend. It was cricket's pleasure to witness your greatness. Hopefully we will see you in the 2011 WC as well. Continue your charity work on (teaching other cricketers) and off the field.

Posted by luvindia on (July 17, 2010, 13:04 GMT)

Murali is a true legend. He deserves a royal salute.

Posted by Sussie on (July 17, 2010, 12:52 GMT)

Murali will surely be missed. An incredible bowler at home, and a good reliable one overseas, and will probably retire and be remembered as the best spin bowler after Shane Warne that the world has seen. Looking ahead, the one thing both of those two players have in common is that they never dominated India...neither *in* India or *against* them. Which makes it a HUGE pity that one guy who *has* - Mendis - has not been selected for this series. Good luck Murali, you were a true hero to Tamils in the country, as well as all Sri Lankans.

Posted by Sussie on (July 17, 2010, 12:51 GMT)

Posted by PeterCook on (July 17, 2010, 12:09 GMT)

2nd greatest spin bowler I've ever seen behind Warne. A true magician, a credit to the sport, and although I've never met him, he seems like an extremely nice guy. Watching him run through England (16 wickets I think) was mesmerising as it was depressing as an England fan! As for throwing allegations, thank the cricketing gods that Murali was allowed to perform, so brilliantly as he did, for so long. The game would be infinitely poorer had he been banned. Fun to watch him bat too!

Posted by Charindra on (July 17, 2010, 12:05 GMT)

My favourite cricketer ever. I just hope he gets the 8 wickets, but either way he'll be remembered as the greatest spinner ever. So no worries.

Posted by   on (July 17, 2010, 11:55 GMT)

I am an Indian... Let India win the series 2-1 by winning both the matches in Colombo but losing in Galle just for the sake of Murali... Let all his tricks work on his final match.. Let him exit the stage on a happier note...

Posted by kktharan on (July 17, 2010, 11:37 GMT)

This is the legend bowler's proud less words. Great murali. i'm shortage of words to describe about you. However have a excellent five days ahead and have a bright in the rest of the life... See you..

Posted by CricketPissek on (July 17, 2010, 11:14 GMT)

all the best murali. all you haters - stay away from these comment sections.

Posted by XX-warrior-XX on (July 17, 2010, 10:57 GMT)

Words don't describe what a great bowler and person Murali is. What Bradman was to batting, he is to bowling. A true genius. Great players come and go, and i've been saddened to see many greats depart in the 34 years or so that i have been a cricket fan...Hadlee, Marshall, Viv, Warne, Imran, Kapil Dev, and quite a few more. But none have left me more sad than when Murali soon departs. I will always remember fondly not only his brilliance, but also his smile, and the intensity in his eyes when he bowls.

Sidharth MongaClose
Country Fixtures Country Results
3rd unofficial Test: Sri Lanka A v W. Indies A at Moratuwa - Oct 25-28
W. Indies A 282 Sri Lanka A 16/0
3rd T20I: SL Women v SA Women at Colombo (MCA)
Oct 26, 2014 (14:00 local | 08:30 GMT | 04:30 EDT | 03:30 CDT | 01:30 PDT)
India A v Sri Lankans at Mumbai (BS)
Oct 30, 2014 (09:00 local | 03:30 GMT | 23:30 EDT | 22:30 CDT | 20:30 PDT)
1st unofficial ODI: Sri Lanka A v W. Indies A at Dambulla
Nov 1, 2014 (10:00 local | 04:30 GMT | 00:30 EDT | 23:30 CDT | 21:30 PDT)
1st ODI: India v Sri Lanka at Cuttack
Nov 2, 2014 (14:30 local | 09:00 GMT | 04:00 EST | 03:00 CST | 01:00 PST)
Complete fixtures » | Download Fixtures »