The Zimbabwe crisis December 2, 2005

Bvute and Chingoka still in charge

Cricinfo staff



Ozias Bvute: no truth in suggestions he had been ousted © ZC
Earlier reports that Peter Chingoka, the Zimbabwe Cricket chairman, and Ozias Bvute, the managing director, had been removed from office have been fervently denied by Bvute himself.

Speaking to Cricinfo, Bvute said that the rumour that his house had been raised by police at 4am was "simply not true" and that, contrary to reports, both he and Chingoka were still in Harare and in full charge of ZC.

The original suggestion that the pair had been removed from office was made by Tatenda Taibu, the former Zimbabwe captain, in an interview with the BBC. He suggested that Robert Mugabe, Zimbabwe's president, had stepped in and had them removed from office. "The president said, 'Enough is enough, they had to go'," Taibu claim. "But when they looked for them, they couldn't find them."

Bvute said factions opposed to the ZC board had "found it convenient to tell these malicious stories to discredit us. I was asleep at 4am and left my house at 8am this morning to go to work. I have not been raided and I don't believe anyone has raided Mr Chingoka's house either."

Comments