- Thu, 31 Dec - day 1 - no play
- Fri, 01 Jan - day 2 - no play
- Sat, 02 Jan - day 3 - match abandoned
- Sun, 03 Jan - rest day
- Mon, 04 Jan - day 4 - cancelled
- Tue, 05 Jan - day 5 - cancelled
- Rain prevented play starting as the players were entering the field. A conference between the Australian Board, the MCC Manager, and two MCC Officials lead to the match being abandoned and replaced by a limited overs match which was later recognised as the first ever ODI.
- The MCC tour schedule was rearranged to include an additional Test at Melbourne on 21,22,23,25,26 January.
- Whilst the Australian Board of Control recognised this match as an official Test to be included in match statistics, nearly all statisticians around the world do not do so.
In 1971 Bill Lawry became the first Australian captain to be sacked in the middle of a series ... and he paid the price for negativity and daring to challenge the authority of the Australian board