Lou Vincent, the New Zealand opener, has been ruled out of the remainder of the World Cup after breaking his wrist during a practice session in Antigua. Hamish Marshall, who was involved in the State Championship final in Hamilton, has been called into the squad to replace Vincent. The ICC have approved Marshall as a replacement for Vincent making him the sixth player to be called up to a World Cup squad as an injury replacement.
Vincent was hit by Shane Bond while batting in the nets and was taken to hospital where an x-ray revealed a fracture. Vincent had scored a hundred in New Zealand's last group stage against Canada after making ducks against England and Kenya.
Lindsay Crocker, the New Zealand manager, said Bond was dejected at having ended his team-mate's tournament. "It's one of those things," Crocker told NZPA. "It wasn't a dangerous ball, just an error of judgment. Everyone is disappointed, particularly Bondy."
Marshall said with Ross Taylor also in doubt with a mild hamstring strain, he had been told he was likely to fit straight into the starting line-up. "That's the indication they gave me, that with Rosco still out with his hammy, basically I'll go straight into the game," Marshall said on Radio Sport.
"There's a scenario I've got to deal with and see how I feel when I get over there but it shouldn't be too bad." New Zealand's next match is against West Indies on Thursday.
Peter Fulton looms as the most likely candidate to partner Stephen Fleming at the top of the order. Vincent's problem arose just after the ICC's Technical Committee approved Chris Martin as the replacement for Daryl Tuffey.
Tuffey injured his right arm during New Zealand's Group C match against Canada and was ruled out of the rest of the World Cup. The injury was in the same shoulder that forced Tuffey out of international cricket for two years. Mark Gillespie, who hasn't played in the tournament because of a shoulder problem caused by a viral infection, came through his fitness test and was set to begin full training.