At Adelaide, December 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. Drawn. A lifeless pitch ensured that any other result would be virtually impossible, and in intense heat, watched by 30,083 spectators, one of the dullest Test matches seen in Australia was played out. In an attempt to regain his form, the New Zealand captain, Jeff Crowe, chose to open the innings. But, having won the toss, he lasted just three balls before looping a delivery from Reid to Veletta at forward short leg. Wright and Jones added 128, after which Martin Crowe and Jones took the score to 268 at stumps on the first day with Jones, in his third Test, having hit his maiden Test century. Next morning Crowe became his country's leading century-maker in Tests when he reached his eighth from 130 balls. Their third-wicket partnership of 213 in 234 minutes was broken threequarters of an hour before lunch when Crowe fell to a catch at extra-cover, having made 137 from 184 balls with seventeen fours and a six. Jones ground his way on to become only the nineteenth New Zealander to reach 150 in Tests. Having been in for almost seven and a half hours he was run out by a superb throw from McDermott, whose figures of four for 135 from 45.5 overs of fast bowling do not tell the full story of his effort in century-plus temperatures. Australia had lost Reid early in the match, the left-arm swing bowler going off with a back injury, and McDermott had to carry the attack.
The third day saw an incident which will remain indelibly in the memory as an example of sportsmanship of the highest level. Jeff Crowe, taking the ball low down at wide mid-on from Patel's bowling, signalled no catch to what appeared to have been Border's dismissal for 66. Only Crowe knew if it was a catch or not, for not even the prying eyes of the nine television cameras were able to pass judgement. It was unfortunate that the opposite would happen during the next Test. After his let-off Border, who might also have been stumped when 57, reached his 22nd century for Australia in his 91st Test, and in doing so he passed the Test aggregates of Sir Leonard Hutton (6,971) and Sir Donald Bradman (6,996). Next day he overtook G. S. Chappell's 7,110 runs to claim the Australian record and become the seventh-highest run-maker in Test cricket. His 205 in ten hours, from 485 balls and containing twenty boundaries, was a career-best score. Later Border said: "To pass Sir Donald's total is a great achievement, but you have to get it in its true perspective. It's taken me nearly twice as long as the little fellow. It's just mind-boggling as to how good he must have been."
With Waugh, Sleep and Dyer all hitting half-centuries, the Australians amassed 496 - an 11-run lead - before Hadlee dismissed Reid on the final morning to finish with five or more wickets in a Test innings for the 30th time. New Zealand used the rest of the day in match practice and the local spin attack of May and Sleep took three wickets each.
Man of the Match: A. R. Border.
Close of play: First day, New Zealand 268-2 (A. H. Jones 128*, M. D. Crowe 88*); Second day, Australia 17-0 (G. R. Marsh 5*, D. C. Boon 6*); Third day, Australia 225-4 (A. R. Border 105*, P. R. Sleep 6*); Fourth day, Australia 496-9 (T. B. A. May 14*, B. A. Reid 5*).