At Auckland, February 25, 26, 27, March 1. Australia won by ten wickets. New Zealand competed with Australia for the first two days, and then were routed by Lillee on a surprisingly lively pitch.

A grassy strip before the start, it was expected to yield uncomfortable bounce only for the first three hours or so. It was then thought likely to play quietly until it began to take spin on the fourth and fifth days.

New Zealand shortened their batting to include two spinners; Australia played the First Test team. Unfortunately for New Zealand, the ball got up readily all through the first three days, and it was not even a consistent bounce.

New Zealand, sent in, spent nearly six hours scoring 229. Geoffrey Howarth, although slow, was very sound and stylish. The fireworks came from Edwards, who scored 51, with eleven 4's. He reached his fifty from only 45 balls, his first six scoring shots being boundaries.

Richard Hadlee, in for over two hours, defended ably against a hostile Lillee, but once Edwards had gone, resistance was slight. Lillee had fine figures, but Walker deserved better ones.

On the second day Australia also struggled, even while McCosker and Chappell were adding 115 for the third wicket. Three chances were missed off them. Accurate bowling by the in-swinger, Cairns, started a recession and half an hour before stumps seven wickets were down for 245. Richard Hadlee bowled extremely well with the new ball, beating Gilmour repeatedly. Hadlee had five chances missed during the innings.

On the third day Gilmour and O'Keeffe were hit by balls getting up sharply from a length, but they took their stand to 93 and Australia won a commanding lead. Chatfield bowled steadily but Hadlee's figures were grossly misleading.

New Zealand, 148 behind, began their second innings after lunch and in fifty-three minutes lost five men for 31. Lillee bowled at tremendous speed, and from near a full length he made the ball get up violently; the ones which dismissed Geoffrey Howarth and Congdon were almost unplayable. Edwards fell to a remarkable catch by Marsh, wide on the leg side.

Burgess, mixing desperate defence with fine forcing shots, helped in an astonishing stand of 105. Most of the runs came from Hadlee, who had the 18,000 crowd in a high state of excitement with his spectacular counter-attack. He on-drove Lillee magnificently for 6, and after thirty-eight minutes he had made 38 of a 50 partnership. He reached his own half-century from 43 balls in fifty-two minutes and at tea was 55 with the total 111.

In the last period, Hadlee was not so convincing, although he played more strokes of splendid quality. He gave chances at 64 and 73 before he was bowled for 81, making a tired-looking attempt to drive. His innings of one and three-quarter hours contained one 6 and ten 4's.

Australia had to wait until the fourth morning to make the 28 runs that were needed.