Split of cricket world avoided: Dalmiya
NEW DELHI, March 26: Indian cricket chief Jagmohan Dalmiya, due to take over as head of the International Cricket Council (ICC) in June, said here Wednesday he was relieved a split was averted in the game's ruling body
27-Mar-1997
27 March 1997
Split of cricket world avoided: Dalmiya
NEW DELHI, March 26: Indian cricket chief Jagmohan Dalmiya, due
to take over as head of the International Cricket Council (ICC)
in June, said here Wednesday he was relieved a split was averted
in the game's ruling body.
"It's a great moment for India, a great moment for Indian
sport," the 56-year-old Indian cricket board secretary said
after his nomination to the game's top post after an acrimonious
battle.
Dalmiya was given a three-year term after a compromise formula
was worked out by the ICC at its special meeting in Kuala Lumpur
on Saturday. "It won't be proper to talk of specifics now ...
all I would like to emphasise is that our stand has been
thoroughly vindicated," Dalmiya said.
The nomination would have come eight months earlier if the
faction-ridden ICC had accepted Dalmiya's simple majority win
(25-13) over Australian Malcolm Gray at the elections held in
London last July. But incumbent Clyde Walcott of the West
Indies, backed by England, Australia and New Zealand, cancelled
the election on the ground that Dalmiya did not have two-thirds
support of the nine test-playing nations.
Dalmiya, backed by four test nations and 17 associate members,
agreed to postpone the election by a year so that a compromise
formula could be worked out. But he also threatened to go to
court if he was denied the post "by dubious means."
With Pakistan, Sri Lanka, India and Zimbabwe behind Dalmiya, the
ICC was faced with a real threat of a rift. New Zealander John
Anderson stepped in to propose a face-saving formula, by which
the post would be rotated among test-playing nations for
three-year terms.
It was decided at Kuala Lampur that India would head the ICC
till 2000 and would be succeeded by an Australian
representative. To present a united front, Dalmiya's nomination
was proposed by South Africa and seconded by the West Indies.
Both boards had reservations about Dalmiya's election last year.
Similarly, Australia's nomination was proposed and seconded by
Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
Dalmiya, who organised two World Cups in the Indian
sub-continent in 1987 and 1996, will be the first Asian to head
the ICC.
Source:: Dawn (https://xiber.com/dawn/)