Former Test quick Paul Wilson had injury added to his costly insults when his jaw was broken in the Pura Cup cricket match between Western Australia and South Australia at the WACA today.

The big West Australian, who moved from Adelaide last season, suffered the injury after failing to avoid a Mick Miller bouncer as South Australia seized control on the second day of the match.

The incident happened soon after Wilson was fined half his match fee for abusive language towards SA batsman John Davison on the opening day.

South Australia claimed first innings points after Western Australia managed a paltry 178 in reply to the visitors' opening dig of 327.

The Redbacks were 4-101 in their second innings, a lead of 250, with Mark Higgs (33no) and Mick Miller (13no) at the crease.

Wilson's forgettable match continued when he turned his head as Miller's delivery struck him plum under the helmet grille.

The No.11 fell to the pitch before retiring hurt and ending WA's first innings.

The former Redback was taken to hospital for X-rays, which found a hairline fracture to the left side of his jaw.

He will not bowl for the rest of the match and a decision on whether to have a plate inserted was to be made tomorrow.

To add to WA's woes, Darren Wates was also carrying a side strain and wasn't expected to bowl in the Redbacks' second innings.

The Warriors were forced to use part-timers Michael Hussey and Chris Rogers as their first and second change bowlers.

South Australia's second innings had started disastrously with openers David Fitzgerald (1) and Shane Deitz (4) both out before the score was in double figures.

Greg Blewett (14) and Andy Flower (32) set about resurrecting the innings before allrounder Peter Worthington (2-28) produced an in-swinger which rattled Blewett's stumps.

Evergreen Jo Angel (2-32) grabbed the vital wicket of ex-Zimbabwe captain Flower just before stumps.

Earlier in the day, the Warriors began their reply to SA in a hurry and opener Rogers (5) was soon heading back to the pavilion after quick Shaun Tait (4-61) sent a ball crashing through his defences.

The innings skipped along to 66 before Paul Rofe (3-31) deceived Michael Hussey (20) and removed Marcus North (0) soon after.

Goodwin had a life on 55 prior to lunch before Shaun Marsh (15) chopped a Tait delivery onto his stumps after the interval.

Ryan Campbell's (13) short stay ended quickly and Goodwin fell 11 runs short of a well-deserved century when his entertaining 92-ball knock ended on 89.

The controversial former Zimbabwe Test batsman hit 16 fours before he bunted a ball to Higgs in gully off Miller's (2-43) bowling.

Worthington (1) did not add to the total while Wates (10) was Miller's second scalp.

Angel (5) became Tait's fourth victim before Beau Casson (10no) ensured the visitors could not enforce the follow-on with a hesitantly taken single.