Fifth Test match

Australia v England 1932-33

The rubber having been won by England, the batting of both sides in their first innings in the last Test match was generally much brighter than that which previously had been seen. The strain was lifted from both sides, but Australia gave a poor display in the second innings and England demonstrated their superiority over their opponents in no uncertain fashion in winning by eight wickets.

Unfortunately the match was marred by bad catching, each side being at fault, and to Victor Richardson in particular it must have proved a dismal memory, for going in first again with Woodfull he was dismissed without scoring in each innings.

On the other hand, Verity had joyful recollections, bowling so well as to take eight wickets for 95 runs, five of them in the second innings for less than seven runs apiece, while Larwood, although damaging his foot when bowling, came out as a batsman with a splendid innings of 98. What a pity he could not have capped his great bowling successes by obtaining a hundred in a Test match! Voce came back to the England team in place of Mitchell; Oldfield again kept wicket for Australia, while P. K. Lee, the South Australian allrounder, and Alexander, the Victorian fast bowler, were included, Wall having to withdraw owing to an injured heel.

For the fourth time Jardine lost the toss, and in the first over Richardson was out. Woodfull and Bradman carried the score to 59, but then Woodfull played-on and in the next over Bradman left at 64. Thenceforward, matters went well for Australia. The score was 67 for three wickets at lunch, and O'Brien and McCabe afterwards played finely, although O'Brien was twice missed in the slips. Altogether the two batsmen added 99 runs at the rate of about one a minute. At the tea interval Australia had 183 on the board with four men out, and then Darling followed the success of his colleagues by playing a very bright innings. The fifth partnership realised 81 runs, McCabe having been in nearly three hours. Darling and Oldfield next added 84, and when play ceased for the day the score stood at 296 for five wickets, this being the highest number of runs scored on the first day of any of the Tests. Darling, Oldfield and Lee all batting well on the second day, Australia added another 139 runs to their overnight score, the total of 435 being better than anything they had previously accomplished. Lee hit up 42 out of 57 in thirty-five minutes.

The success of the younger members of the side was, from the Australian point of view, very gratifying. It was, however, estimated that England missed no fewer than fourteen catches. Australia were also at fault when England went in, Jardine giving two chances in scoring less than 20. He left at 31, but then came some brilliant batting, Sutcliffe and Hammond being in their very best form while adding 122 runs. Sutcliffe played well, but was overshadowed by his partner who drove and turned the ball to leg in wonderful style. But like several of the others he was let off. When the partnership ended Larwood was sent in to play out time, England, with 159 runs on the board and two men out, finishing up 276 behind. During the afternoon, protests were made by the Englishmen about Alexander scratching up the pitch after he had delivered the ball, a fault which had been noticed during the previous tour.

On the Saturday, England batted all day and finished up only 17 runs behind with two wickets to fall. Continuing his innings, Hammond did not play in quite the same brilliant style, and most of the applause was earned by Larwood who drove in glorious fashion and treated the spectators to a great display. He and Hammond put on 92 runs, Hammond, after being in nearly three hours and a half for his second hundred of the tour in Test matches, being dismissed just before lunch. England at that point were in a comfortable position, and Larwood and Leyland, after playing themselves in, added 65 in as many minutes. Then Larwood, trying to place the ball to the on for a two or reach three figures, did not time his stroke properly and was caught by Ironmonger, a notoriously bad fieldsman. Larwood treated the bowling as no other of the Englishmen had previously done. He made his runs in two hours and a quarter, hitting a six, a five and nine 4's, and being fourth out at 310. He was loudly cheered. Bad judgment in running cost the wickets of Leyland and Ames, while Wyatt played a dull, colourless innings. He was out in the last over of the day, having been in two hours and forty minutes for 51.

Monday was full of sensation. England increasing their score to 454 gained a lead of 19 runs, Allen who batted well for nearly an hour and threequarters having a lot to do with this towards the end. When Australia went in again the first wicket once more fell before a run had been scored, but then Woodfull and Bradman put on 115. Bradman was in his most daring mood, often stepping back to the leg-theory bowling of Voce and Larwood and forcing the ball to the off. Verity, however, bowled Bradman when the batsman misjudged the flight of the ball, and with his dismissal a breakdown occurred. At tea-time the score was 139 for four, and Woodfull's fine innings came to an end at 177 when he was seventh out, playing-on to Allen. He batted just over three hours in his usual watchful style. Subsequently, Verity dismissed O'Reilly and Alexander with consecutive balls and as Ironmonger was next in the Yorkshireman had a good chance of doing the hat trick. This he did not accomplish, Lee, who had swung the bat a good deal at the bowling, being dismissed by Allen and the innings closing for 182.

England were thus left with 164 to get to win, half an hour remaining for play. Jardine, who took Wyatt in with him, complained about Alexander running down the pitch after his delivery, and the crowd booed and hooted. Alexander then bumped several balls down to Jardine, and when the England captain was struck on the thigh sections of the crowd cheered. A disgraceful exhibition. Eleven runs were scored without loss and on the last day Jardine and Leyland were out at 43. Ironmonger was making the ball turn off the scratched-up turf and Hammond and Wyatt took some pains to play themselves in. Steadily the bowling was worn down and then Hammond surprised everyone by on-driving O'Reilly for six - one of the biggest hits ever seen on the Sydney ground. Hammond, after that, played in brilliant fashion and finished the match in dramatic style and another big six. Actually Hammond and Wyatt hit off the 125 runs after Leyland left in just over two hours, the concluding cricket of the last Test match being thus very brilliant.

© John Wisden & Co