Obituaries in 1933

AIREY, COLONEL ROBERT BERKELEY, C.M.G., D.S.O., who died on June 23, was in the Tonbridge XI in 1894. In 1911, he made three appearances for Hampshire, his highest innings being 30 against Sussex at Portsmouth.

BARRINGTON, WALTER BULKELEY, VISCOUNT, died at Shrivenham, near Swindon, Wiltshire, on September 12. Born on April 20, 1848, he was a member of the Eton College XI in 1864, 1865 and 1866, appearing against both Harrow and Winchester in these years. While at school, he also played for Bucks. and Devonshire.

BARTLETT, MR. E. L., who was born on March 18, 1906, died about February. Making his first appearance for Barbados when only seventeen years of age, he became one of the most attractive batsmen and brilliant fielders in the West Indies in recent years. A small man, he had excellent style and was an adept at cutting. A member of the 1928 West Indies side to England, he was unfortunate as regards injury and only took part in the last Test, but he played a fine innings of 109 against Nottinghamshire--his only century in big cricket. In 1931-32, he visited Australia, but except for an innings of 84 in the first Test at Adelaide, he did virtually nothing else on the trip.

BIRD, MR. MORICE CARLOS, whose remarkable performance of scoring two separate hundreds in the Eton and Harrow match in 1907 remains unparalleled, died at Broadstone, Dorset, on December 9. Besides being famous at Harrow, whom he represented four times against Eton, he made a name as a batsman for Surrey and also played a good deal for M.C.C. Born at Liverpool on March 25, 1888, Mr. Bird was in the Harrow Eleven from 1904 to 1907, and was captain when he wound up his school career with his great achievement. Tall and of strong build he dwarfed the other players both in stature and skill. In Harrow's first innings he scored 100 not out in an hour and three-quarters; in the second, when fighting an uphill game, he hit up 131 in two hours and a quarter. Thanks to his fine hitting and his timely declaration, Harrow won at twenty minutes past seven by 79 runs.

The same year--1907--Mr. Bird appeared in a few games for his native county, Lancashire, but not until he played for Surrey two years afterwards, did he accomplish anything of note in county cricket. Then he was included in the M.C.C. side that toured South Africa in the winter of 1909-10, and also visited South Africa with the team of 1913-14, playing in ten Test Matches in that country. Succeeding Mr. H. D. G. Leveson Gower in 1911, Mr. Bird captained Surrey during the next two years and in 1910, 1911 and 1913 scored over a thousand runs. His best season was that of 1911, when he had an aggregate of 1,404 and an average of 30. A very fine forcing batsman, specially strong on the off side, both in driving and cutting, Morice Bird had a determined personality which often enabled him to show to most advantage on important occasions. His hitting against the Australian team of 1912 in two games at the Oval--he scored 76, 68 and 112 in dazzling fashion--is still talked about. A medium pace bowler, he took five wickets in the match with Eton which brought him such fame. In 1911, he had a record of forty-seven wickets for just over 20 runs apiece. He was also a capital field. After the War, he succeeded Mr. M. C. Kemp for two seasons as coach at Harrow and subsequently undertook similar duties at the Oval. He had been desperately ill for some years prior to his death.

BURGE, MR. GERARD RODON, who died in London on February 15, was born on August 9, 1857. He was in the Marlborough College XI in 1873, 1874 and 1875, and when tried in 1885 and 1886 for Middlesex, as a medium-pace bowler, took five wickets for 58 on his first appearance. Assisting Gentlemen of Sussex v. Gentlemen of Philadelphia at Hove in 1889, he performed the hat trick. He also played a little for M.C.C., Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire.

CAMPBELL, MR. GERALD FITZGERALD, born on April 25, 1862, died in London on July 4. He was in the Fettes School XI in 1879, 1880 and 1881, being captain in the last year, but at Cambridge did not obtain his Blue.

CAPES, MR. C. J., who was born on January 5, 1898, died in Italy on February 16. He was in the Malvern College eleven in 1914 and 1915, and in the former year obtained fifty-one wickets, including eleven for 138 v. Repton, while in the following year, he again did well against Repton, taking five for 35 and four for 43. He played most of his cricket for Beckenham, but appeared occasionally for Kent between 1923 and 1928. Medium-pace left-hand, he often bowled really well, and in 1927, with limited opportunities, took thirty-four wickets at 19.64 apiece. He was a good field and though he did not accomplish very much as a batsman, he was a useful hard-hitter, a notable score being his 65 not out for Kent v. Lancashire at Maidstone in 1928. He was better known as an English International hockey player.

CARPENTER, HERBERT, one of the finest professional batsmen who ever played for Essex, died on December 12. He was born at Cambridge on July 12, 1869. A son of the famous Robert Carpenter, Herbert resembled his father in style. Very correct in using a straight bat, he was specially strong in back play both when defending or forcing the ball away and in late cutting. Playing first for Essex in 1888, Carpenter helped to make that county good enough to be raised to first-class status in 1895 and he became one of the mainstays in batting. He scored a thousand runs in a season seven times, his highest aggregate being 1,852 in 1901, when he put together a hundred in each innings (127 and 104) for Essex v. Kent at Leyton. He was at his best when Percy Perrin and Charles McGahey came into the county eleven and as an opening batsman with his captain, H. G. Owen, helped materially in many of the large scores made by Essex notably on the Leyton ground. Most memorable was his partnership of 328 with McGahey for the third wicket against Surrey at the Oval in 1904. Ranking with some of the best professional batsmen who never appeared in a Test Match, he was chosen during his best seasons for the Players. In 1900, when the Players scored 502 in the last innings and beat the Gentlemen on time by two wickets, he did not come off, but the following year he played innings of 25 and 43 at Lord's and in 1902, 58 and 31 at Scarborough. In all first-class matches he had an aggregate of nearly 15,000 runs and his centuries numbered twenty-five, the highest being 199 for Essex v. Surrey at the Oval in 1904. His final appearance in the game was as recently as 1920, at the age of 51. Besides being an excellent judge of the game, he did admirable service in coaching young cricketers both in Melbourne and at the Essex county ground. The Essex and Lancashire match at Leyton in 1901 was played for his benefit. Carpenter was an uncle of the present-day Essex all rounder, J. O'Connor.

CHAMPAIN, BRIGADIER-GENERAL HUGH FREDERICK BATEMAN, who died on October 7, was born on April 6, 1869. A member of the famous family of Cheltenham cricketers, he was in the College XI four seasons-- 1885 to 1888--and captain in the last year. Against Marlborough in 1886 he scored 90 and 78; against Clifton the next season, 167 and five. Invited in 1887 to assist Gloucestershire he had to go abroad and although turning out for that county in 1888, he was seldom afterwards seen in first-class cricket. During the Great War, when serving with the 9th Gurkha Rifles, he was mentioned in dispatches and awarded the C.M.G.

CHELMSFORD, LORD (HON. FREDERICK JOHN NAPIER THESIGER), who died on April 1, gained some reputation as a free-hitting batsman when at Winchester and Oxford. He was in the Winchester Eleven in 1885 and two following years, being captain in 1887. Going up to Oxford he gained his Blue as a Freshman in 1888 and had rather a curious experience in connection with the matches against Cambridge. He took part in the 1888 fixture; did not play in 1889 because of the illness of his brother; captained the side in 1890, and the following year had to retire owing to a damaged finger after lunch time on the first day. On the last occasion, Mr. T. B. Case was allowed to take Mr. Thesiger's place in the eleven. Mr. Thesiger did little of note against Cambridge. Before getting into the Winchester eleven he, at the age of sixteen, made an appearance for Worcestershire, and between 1888 and 1892 he turned out for Middlesex in a few matches. In 1922, after he had become Lord Chelmsford, he succeeded the Hon. F. S. Jackson as President of the M.C.C. He did most valuable public service in more than one direction, being Viceroy of India from 1916 to 1921, Governor-General of both Queensland (1905-1909) and New South Wales (1909-1913), First Lord of the Admiralty in Mr. Ramsay MacDonald's Labour Government in January, 1924, and Alderman of the London County Council. Elected to a Fellowship of All Souls in 1892, he became Warden in 1932. He was born in London on August 12, 1868.

CHESTERFIELD, 10TH EARL OF, who died on January 24, was President of the M.C.C. in 1909. He was born on March 15, 1854.

COOK, LAURENCE, who was born at Preston on March 28, 1885, died at Wigan on December 2. A medium-pace right-arm bowler he first played for Lancashire in 1907, but though in 1911 he took ninety wickets at 21.61 apiece, he did his best work after the War, his last four seasons ( 1920 to 1923) being his most successful. In 1920 he had a record of 156 wickets for 14.88 apiece. In the 1921 season, during which he was picked for the Players at Lord's, he took 151 wickets at 22.99 each, while he had 142 wickets in 1922 and ninety-eight the following season. His seven Derbyshire wickets for eight runs at Chesterfield in 1920 was one of his best bowling feats in county cricket. Altogether in first-class matches he took 839 wickets at an average cost of 21.20. He did little as a batsman, but in 1921 he scored 54 not out for Lancashire v. Middlesex, at Manchester.

COOKE, MR. FRANK H., who learned his cricket at Tonbridge School and going to New Zealand played for Otago, died on June 10. A left-arm medium-pace bowler, he assisted that province for several years. Perhaps his best performance was against Canterbury in 1883 when he secured fifteen wickets for 94 runs. He captained the Manawatu XVIII which met Lord Hawke's team in 1903. By profession a barrister, he was for several years Crown Prosecutor at Palmerston North.

COPLESTON, RIGHT REV. ERNEST ARTHUR, Bishop of Colombo from 1903 to 1924, who died on August 24, was in the Marlborough XI in 1873.

COTTERILL, SIR JOSEPH MONTAGUE, who died in Edinburgh on December 30, at the age of 82, played his first match for Sussex when he was 18. At the time he captained the Brighton College eleven of which he was a member for four seasons. A splendidly free hitter with a sound defence, he played some valuable innings for Sussex, and in 1875, against Kent at Hove, he made 191 and had a large share in the victory of Sussex by an innings and 266 runs. His best year in county cricket was that of 1873 when he headed the Sussex batting averages. In 1875 he appeared for the Gentlemen v. Players at Princes but as he went to live in Edinburgh he did not often participate in that particular fixture. Still, he played a good deal for Gentlemen of the South and the United South and more than once went in first with W. G. Grace. Standing nearly five feet eleven and weighing eleven stone six pounds, he was a first-rate athlete and in 1875 threw the cricket ball 121 yards. As a fieldsman he excelled at cover-point or long leg. He was born at Brighton on November 23, 1851, and became a famous surgeon.

CUSSEN, SIR LEO, one of the outstanding sporting dignitaries in Australia, died at Melbourne on May 17. A very eminent member of the Melbourne C.C., of which he became President, he was highly regarded for his thoughtfulness and hospitality by all English cricket teams that visited Australia. He had a splendid sporting record at Hamilton College and University of Melbourne. He was a Senior Judge of the Supreme Court of Victoria.

DE GEX, MR. RALPH OCTAVUS, who died at Worthing, on June 7, at the age of 57, was a member of the Clifton College XI in 1894 and 1895, and played in the Freshmen's match at Cambridge in 1896 and in the Seniors' in the two following years, though he did not receive a trial for the University. He was an Assistant Master at his old school.

DOWSON, MR. EDWARD MAURICE, the former Harrow and Cambridge University captain, died at Ashburton, Devon, on July 22. The son of Mr. Edward Dowson the old Surrey cricketer, he went to Harrow in the autumn of 1894 and next year, at the age of fifteen, created a great surprise when he appeared against Eton at Lord's. Bowling left-arm slow he kept his length perfectly during long spells of work and made the ball do a great deal, and although Harrow had the worst of a drawn match Dowson, who opened their bowling, took five wickets for 90 and three for 105. He stood no more than five feet bowled extremely slow. Given, owing to his stature, the nickname of Toddles he was called this by his friends for the rest of his life. Coming into the match at such an early age, he played no fewer than five times against Eton ( 1895-1899) and was captain in the last two years. In 1898, when Harrow won by nine wickets, he scored 47 and took nine wickets; the following season he scored 87 not out and was mainly responsible for his school gaining the lead. Going up to Cambridge, he took part in all four'Varsity Matches from 1900 to 1903 and led the side to victory in his last year. He proved a valuable all-rounder, especially in 1902 when he took five wickets in each innings and scored 40 and 29. In his last three years at Cambridge, he exceeded a four-figure aggregate, and in 1903 obtained 1,343 runs, average 34.43. Mr. Dowson, had he played regularly in the Surrey team, would, unquestionably, have taken a high place among amateurs, but the cricket field saw little of him after he came down from Cambridge. He assisted Surrey a few times in 1900 and visited America and the West Indies, while during the tour of Lord Hawke's team in Australia and New Zealand of 1902-03 his batting created a very favourable impression. Moreover, besides finishing second to Mr. P. F. Warner in the batting averages, he took forty wickets for 8.20 runs apiece. Representing the Gentlemen at Lord's in 1902 and 1903, he in the second game had the distinction of clean bowling Tom Hayward in each innings. In first-class cricket, E. M. Dowson made eight centuries, his highest being 135 against Sussex at Brighton in 1903, and the same year for Cambridgeagainst Worcestershire he narrowly missed the achievement of a hundred in each innings, his scores being 94 and 122 not out. He was a sound batsman, correct in style and generally to be relied upon at a crisis.

FLETCHER, MR. NORMAN, a member of the Rugby School XI in 1894, 1895 and 1896, died on November 24. He was High Sheriff of Cumberland in 1929 and was elected Chairman of the Cumberland Ward Bench of Magistrates a month before his death.

FOLEY, MR. CHARLES WINDHAM, who died on November 20, was born on December 26, 1856, and was in the Eton XI in 1876. He obtained his Blue as a wicket-keeper at Cambridge in 1880, his solitary season in first-class cricket. An average batsman, though naturally right-handed he, until the age of fifteen, batted left-hand when through foolish advice he changed to right and, not improving his play thereby, regretted the fact. He also represented Cambridge at association Football, playing full-back against Oxford the same year. By profession, he was a solicitor.

FORBES, MR. WALTER FRANCIS, who was born at Malvern Link, January 20, 1858, died on March 31. He made a reputation at Eton, being as a schoolboy cricketer contemporary with Alfred and Edward Lyttelton, Ivo Bligh, W. H. Long, W. H. Grenfell, A. J. Webbe and others who were either renowned in cricket or in the larger world. Endowed with powerful physique he made the most of his height and strength. He appeared in the Eton eleven at Lord's against Harrow in 1873 (when fifteen years old), 1874, 1875 and 1876 (when captain). In 1873 he was not prominent though one of the first-wicket pair. In 1875 he was--very unkindly--credited with the worst innings ever played at Lord's--forty-five minutes for nine runs, all off the edge of the bat and behind the wicket, but he took five wickets for 21 runs with his fast round-arm bowling. In 1875 his 47 against Harrow prepared the way for feats during the following summer. He won the toss against Harrow, shouted with joy, took J. E. K. Studd in with him and scored 113 out of 150. The pitch was perfect, and the temperature tremendous, but Forbes revelled in the conditions, was only at the wicket one hour and forty-five minutes, and hit twenty-two 4's. This 1876 was his annus mirabilis, as apart from such a memorable hundred he had the satisfaction of leading Eton victories over both Harrow and Winchester, and threw a cricket ball exactly 132 yards, ten yards further than his throw of 1875; and also hurled the hammer 78 feet. If then only eighteen years old he stood 6 ft. 1½ inches, and weighed 12 stone. For the Yorkshire Gentlemen he made high scores and he also assisted I Zingari. Although he played for the Gentlemen at Lord's and at the Oval in 1883 (the tie match) he took little part in first-class cricket as he became steward to the Duke of Richmond at Goodwood.

GEORGE, WILLIAM, who was born on June 29, 1874, died on December 4. As a forcing batsman, he played a few times for Warwickshire in 1901, 1902 and 1907, his highest innings being 71 in the last year against Hampshire, at Basingstoke. He was better known as the Aston Villa and English International Association goal- keeper, and played against Scotland, Wales and Ireland in 1905.

GREATOREX, REV. CANON THEOPHILUS, of the Harrow Elevens of 1882 and 1883, died suddenly in London on July 27. In 1883 he was awarded the Ebrington Cup for his batting. He appeared in a couple of matches for Middlesex the same year, and played for Cambridge University in 1884, 1885 and 1886, but did not get his blue. His highest score in county cricket was 44 not out in his first season for Middlesex, for whom he made isolated appearances in 1892 and played for the county's second eleven as far on as 1896. He had a fine, free style of batting, but whilst practising at Cambridge early in 1884 broke a finger and this greatly interfered with his play. After his cricketing days he became Rector of Guildford, Western Australia. He was born in London on December 14, 1864.

HACK, MR. A. T., who died on February 4 at the early age of 27 from appendicitis, did useful work for South Australia from 1927-28 to 1931-32. Captain of the Glenelg Club near Adelaide he was a son of Mr. F. T. Hack, a famous South Australian batsman. Before Walker came into the State side, Hack was played as wicket-keeper but also distinguished himself as a good batsman of the steady type and made a century against Queensland in 1928.

HANDLEY, MORTON, an old Nottinghamshire professional cricketer who in the'60's played for local XXII's against all England elevens, died on November 14. Scores and Biographies said of him:-- He is a good average batsman, a fast round-armed bowler and fields generally at short slip. Although born in Nottinghamshire, he never played for that county.

HANNAY, MR. ALEXANDER KAY, who died on October 19, was a member of the Rugby School XI in 1899, and was at Trinity College, Oxford, without receiving a trial for the University.

HAWKINS, MR. HERBERT HARVEY BAINES, born on January 9, 1876, was accidentally drowned with his wife, while bathing at Trincomalee, Ceylon, on January 1. He was in the Whitgift eleven from 1893 to 1895, and won his Blue at Cambridge as a fastish medium-pace right-hand bowler, playing against Oxford in 1898 and 1899. He dropped out of first-class cricket after his University days, his profession of schoolmaster taking him to France, while latterly he was the principal of a preparatory school in Ceylon.

HEATLEY, MR. HENRY RICHARD, who was born on May 13, 1851, died on October 23. He was in the Marlborough eleven in 1870, and was at Keble College, Oxford, without getting a trial for the University.

HEDGES, MR. LIONEL PAGET, who died on January 12 at the early age of 32, was a brilliant schoolboy batsman and a fine cover-point when at Tonbridge. In the School eleven from 1916 to 1919, he, in his last year at Tonbridge, when captain, enjoyed a veritable triumph. The eleven that season included four other players who later took part in first-class cricket-- E. P. Solbé and C. H. Knott of Kent, H. C. A. Gaunt of Warwickshire and T. E. S. Francis ( Somerset). Hedges surpassed them all by scoring 1,038 runs--a record for the School--with the fine average of 86.50. He hit up 193 against Westminster, 176 v. Lancing, 111 v. M.C.C., and 163 against Clifton at Lord's. In the Lancing match, he and C. H. Knott added 290 runs together, all but sixty of them actually being obtained in an hour. Hedges got his blue as a Freshman at Oxford in 1920 and played against Cambridge in the next two seasons, but although his fielding remained uniformly good his batting fell away considerably. Assisting Kent from 1919, he enjoyed his best season in county cricket two years later, obtaining 1,138 runs with an average of 34. Perhaps the finest innings he ever played was against Yorkshire at Maidstone in 1920, when he hit up 130 runs in two hours and a half, and by his dashing batting helped materially to a Kent victory by 121 runs. Adopting the profession of schoolmaster, Hedges joined the staff at Cheltenham College and thus gained a residential qualification for Gloucestershire. He turned out for that county in several matches and his first-class career extended until 1929. He was born on July 13, 1900.

HEMUS, MR. L. G., a member of the New Zealand team that visited Australia in 1913-14 under the captaincy of Mr. D. Reese, died on October 28, aged 49. Up to the commencement of the War in 1914, he had made more centuries in Plunket Shield cricket than any other New Zealand player. A stylish and graceful batsman, he used to exploit with great success the art of late-cutting, by which stroke he obtained a large proportion of his runs. Appearing first for Auckland in 1903, he retired from representative cricket in 1922. In Plunket Shield cricket he scored over 2,000 runs, including four hundreds.

HENDERSON, HON. ARNOLD, who was born on July 1, 1883, died suddenly at Writtle Park, Chelmsford on March 12. The fifth son of Lord Faringdon, he was a member of the Wellington College eleven in 1899, and in the same year represented Berkshire.

HOLMES, REV. R. S., who died on January 13, was the author of The History of Yorkshire County Cricket 1833-1903. He was a great collector of and an authority on cricket literature.

INGRAM, MR. FRANCIS MANNING, who was born November 6, 1864, died on August 10. He was in the Winchester eleven in 1882 and 1883, and played in the Freshmen's Match at Oxford in 1884, and for the Seniors in the two following years, though he did not receive a trial for the University. He also assisted the Gentlemen of Sussex in 1885 and later, Berkshire. At Association Football, he represented Oxford v. Cambridge in 1886 and 1887 and played for the Corinthians. He had been a master at both Bradfield and Shrewsbury.

JACKSON, MR. ARCHIBALD, the New South Wales and Australian Test cricketer, died at Brisbane on February 16, the day that England defeated Australia and regained the Ashes, at the early age of 23. His passing was not only a very sad loss to Australian cricket in particular but to the cricket world in general. A native of Scotland, where he was born on September 5, 1909, he was hailed as a second Victor Trumper--a comparison made alike for his youthful success, elegant style and superb stroke play. Well set up, very active on his feet, and not afraid to jump in to the slow bowlers and hit the ball hard, he accomplished far more in big cricket than Trumper had done at his age. He first attracted attention when at school at Balmain, Sydney, and later at the Roselle School. So quickly did he mature that, at the age of seventeen, he gained an assured place in the New South Wales team. In his first season of Sheffield Shield cricket he scored 464 runs at an average of 58; next year he achieved a feat no other batsman of his age had performed, by making two centuries in a match--131 and 122 against South Australia. For a time Jackson had something of a reputation of being a second innings batsman, for often he failed at his first attempt and then made a good score in the second innings. This weakness, however, he overcame and he soon established himself as an opening batsman for New South Wales. Given his place in the Australian team when the M.C.C. side, under the captaincy of Mr. A. P. F. Chapman, toured Australia in 1928-29, Jackson, on his first appearance in Test cricket against England, made a hundred--the youngest player to do so. This was at Adelaide where in the Fourth Test Match, which England won by 12 runs, he scored 164. For sheer brilliance of execution his strokes during this delightful display could scarcely have been exceeded. He reached three figures with a glorious square drive off Larwood in the first over after lunch and was one of the very few Australian batsmen who during that tour could successfully jump in and drive J. C. White. An innings of 182 in the Australian Test Trial--regarded as the finest he ever played--made certain of his inclusion in the team which visited England in 1930. Unfortunately, English cricket lovers did not in that tour see Jackson at his best, for although he scored over 1,000 runs he failed to reveal his true form until towards the end of the summer. Then, in the final Test Match at the Oval, he put together a score of 73 and helped Bradman in a partnership of 243 for the fourth wicket which still stands as a record in a Test Match between Australia and England. Jackson, of course, never saw Trumper play, but Kippax, in style and stance and in some strokes, was not unlike Trumper; and Jackson, consciously or unconsciously, and while giving full play to his natural tendencies, took Kippax as his model. He had a splendid return from the deep field and, if not so fast a runner as Bradman, covered ground very quickly. His later years were marred by continued ill-health and his untimely end was not unexpected. While lying in hospital on what was to prove his death-bed he was married.

JARVIS, MR. ARTHUR HARWOOD, who ranked as one of Australia's best wicket-keepers, died at Adelaide on November 15. Unfortunately for him the exceptionally brilliant form shown by J. Mc. C. Blacham at the time when Jarvis visited England limited his opportunities of distinguishing himself in Test cricket. Some Australian judges claimed that Jarvis was distinctly as good, if not better than Blackham behind the wicket, but no one who saw the two men in England could possibly agree with that opinion. Still Jarvis remained a good second among Australian wicket-keepers for many years. Born at Hindmarsh near Adelaide on October 18, 1860, he made his debut in the South Australian eleven in 1877, and the visit of Lord Harris's team at the end of the following year gave him fresh opportunities. Although only eighteen at the time, he proved successful both with the bat and in wicket-keeping, and against the touring team at Adelaide caught three batsmen and stumped one in the two innings. To the recognition of his ability on that occasion he owed his place in the second Australian team to visit England in 1880. Though there were no high figures attached to his name in the records of that tour he often batted well in dogged fashion. He never reached three figures in first-class cricket, although at Adelaide in 1894-95 he made 98 not out for South Australia v. New South Wales, and 82 in the Test Match with England at Melbourne in 1884-85. One of his best feats as a wicket-keeper was also achieved against Shaw's team when, in February 1885, playing for the Eleven of Australia at Sydney, he had a hand in the downfall of six English wickets, catching five batsmen and stumping one. Lillywhite asserted after the match that the effective wicket-keeping of Jarvis was the principal cause of the defeat of Shaw's team on that occasion. Jarvis played for South Australia until the season of 1900-01. Altogether he took part in eleven Test Matches against England--seven of them at home--and visited England in 1880, 1886, 1888 and 1893.

KEMP, MR. CHARLES WILLIAM MIDDLETON, died on May 15, at Ightham, Kent. Born on April 26, 1856, he was in the Harrow XI in 1874 and 1875, being captain in the latter year. His first-class career was confined to the season of 1878, when he was a member of the Oxford University eleven and made one appearance for Kent.

KINGSTON, REV. FREDERICK WILLIAM, who was born at Oundle on December 24, 1855, died at Willingdon, Bedfordshire on January 30. The eldest of nine members of a family all of whom represented Northamptonshire, he led that side in its second-class days. Educated at Abingdon House School, of which his father was principal, he played for Cambridge University against Oxford in 1878; a capable bat, he was also a good wicket-keeper.

LEMARCHAND, MR. FREDERICK PAYNE, was born on July 23, 1862, in Ceylon, and died at Sunningdale on June 22. He was in the Malvern XI in 1880 and subsequently played for Devon. At Oxford, he did not receive a trial, but threw the Hammer in the inter-University sports in 1882, 1883 and 1884. In 1885, he became a master at Sedbergh.

MARSHALL, MR. CHARLES ERNEST DAVIES, who died on February 16, aged 52, headed the Kingston C.C. ( Jamaica) batting averages in 1899 and 1903, and the bowling list in 1898. He represented New York in Halifax Cup matches and against the Australians in 1912 and 1913. An aggressive batsman and good wicket-keeper, he was educated at Dulwich.

MATON, MR. LEONARD JAMES, who died at Bath on April 15, was a member of the Rugby School eleven in 1863 and 1864 and, while still at school, played for Wiltshire. He was much more widely known in connection with the Rugby game. A fine powerful forward, he captained the once famous Wimbledon Hornets. An original member of the Rugby Union Committee, he was one of three men to whom was delegated the task of drafting the first Rugby Union Laws. As he was confined to his room at the time owing to an accident, the two other members of the Committee appointed to do the work left the matter to him as some employment during his illness. So well did he execute the task that his Laws were unanimously accepted by the full Committee of the Union and they remained unchanged for many years.

MAYLOR, MR. TOM, (Canadian Club cricketer), born at Wadebridge in Cornwall on November 4, 1854, died July 19. For upwards of half a century, he was one of the mainstays of the Forest C.C. (Ontario), and in 1931, at the age of seventy-seven, took five wickets for 20 runs against the Chatham club. A medium pace bowler and a fair batsman, he was also an enthusiastic devotee of bowls, and during 1929-30 toured Australia and New Zealand with the Canadian team.

MILES, MAJOR PHILIP WILLIAM HERBERT, who died on December 4, was in the Marlborough XI in 1865. A younger brother of R. F. Miles, the Gloucestershire and Oxford University player, he appeared for Nottinghamshire in 1868. He was born on January 7, 1848.

MITCHELL, REV. HARRY, who was born in November, 1847, died at Teignmouth on January 4. He was a member of the Uppingham School XI in 1864, 1865 and 1866, and played for XVI Freshmen against the XI at Cambridge in 1867.

MOUNTENEY, ARTHUR, who was born on February 11, 1883, died on June 1 at Leicester. As a batsman of the forcing type and a good field, he did most useful work for Leicestershire from 1911 to 1924, but never quite established himself in the county eleven. His highest aggregate in a season was 836 in 1922, and his best average 32.05 was obtained in the previous year, when he scored 545 runs. He hit six centuries in first-class cricket--all for Leicestershire. He was also a good Association football player, and represented Leicester Fosse, Preston North End, Grimsby Town and Birmingham.

OSCROFT, MR. PERCY WILLIAM, who was born on November 27, 1872 at Nottingham, died in London on December 8 after a three months' illness. A useful defensive batsman with a good style, he did little on the few occasions he represented Nottinghamshire between 1894 and 1900, his highest innings being 40 against Middlesex at Nottingham in 1896. He was, however, a very fine fielder. For twenty-two years he had been a science master at Uppingham.

OWEN, COLONEL GEORGE PRIDHAM, who was born July 12, 1850, died at Folkestone on May 13. He was a member of the Marlborough College XI in 1868.

PALAIRET, MR. LIONEL CHARLES HAMILTON, a famous batsman with a singularly graceful style who played for Oxford University, Somerset and England, died on March 27. Somerset by close association--he received his early education at a school at Clevedon--he was born on May 27, 1870 at Grange-over-sands in Lancashire. It was rather curious that, while above all remembered for his graceful and virile batting, he achieved a remarkable bowling performance at the age of ten when in a school match he took seven wickets with consecutive balls. Proceeding to Repton, he was in the eleven there in 1886 and the three following seasons, being captain in 1888 and 1889. In his last year he had a batting average of 29 and took fifty-six wickets for a little more than 12 runs apiece. Going up to Oxford in the autumn of 1889 he sprang into prominence as soon as he appeared by his strikingly beautiful and effortless batting. He played four times in the Varsity match ( 1890-1893) and was captain in the last two years. The most interesting part of Lionel Palairet's history, however, consisted in his career with Somerset, for whom he first played in 1890. The county had not attained first-class rank at that time, but the following season they were admitted to the County Championship. Palairet that season scored 560 runs, with an average of 31, and in 1892 he ranked as one of the great batsmen of the day by scoring 1,343 runs with an average of 31 and appearing for Gentlemen against Players at Lord's. Late in August he and H. T. Hewett--a formidable opening pair--put up a record opening partnership of 346 runs against Yorkshire at Taunton. The two batsmen were together only three hours and a half. Right up to 1907 Palairet--if not always able to play a great deal--remained a leading member of the Somerset eleven. He never went to Australia but played twice for England in 1902. Those games were two of the most thrilling Test Matches in history, Australia winning at Manchester by three runs and England getting home at the Oval by one wicket. In first-class games Palairet hit twenty-seven centuries, his highest innings being 292 against Hampshire in 1896. His best season was that of 1901 when he scored 1,906 runs with an average of 57; he and L. C. Braund made 222 for the first Somerset wicket in the second innings against Yorkshire at Leeds, Palairet obtaining 173. That was a remarkable match, Somerset, going in a second time 238 behind, hitting up a score of 630 and beating Yorkshire by 279 runs. Palairet's cricket for Somerset will never be forgotten. His drives into the river and the churchyard at Taunton are still remembered by those who had the good fortune to see him in such form. He had almost every good quality as a batsman; combining strong defence with fine cutting and driving on either side of the wicket he always shaped in classic style. Essentially a forward player he was handicapped on a soft pitch, but under any conditions he made the off drive in a manner few have approached and no one has surpassed. He represented Oxford in the Three Miles, and played Association football for Combined Universities, London, and Corinthians. In addition he was at one period an ardent follower of hounds. He was president of the Somerset County Cricket Club in 1929.

PODMORE, MR. GEORGE, who died on August 22, aged 79, was one of the first students at Keble, when the college opened in 1870. A medium paced right-hand bowler and a sound, quick scoring opening batsman, he played in several trial games at Oxford under A. J. Webbe, but failed to get his Blue. At the Rugby game, however he enjoyed more distinction. He played in the Oxford pack against Cambridge in 1872. Well-known in South Coast cricket, he, in 1871, was presented by the late Dr. Jeffrey with a bat for taking most wickets for XVIII of Eastbourne against the United South of England XI captained by W. G. Grace. Later he captained the Grange Cricket and Golf Clubs and played for Northern Nomads.

PONSONBY, HON. FREDERICK JOHN WILLIAM, third son of the 2nd Baron de Mauley, died on August 25 at Lechlade. Born August 28, 1847, he was in the Eton eleven in 1865.

PREST, MR. SAMUEL BRENT, who was born October 26, 1869, died at Souris Point, Manitoba, on January 20. He was a member of the Marlborough College XI in 1886 and 1887 and subsequently played for Cambridgeshire.

PRIESTLEY, SIR A., died on April 10. A member of the M.C.C., he was not particularly prominent in the game itself. In 1896 when he took out a team to the West Indies, something of a stir was caused in cricket circles for another team under Lord Hawke visited the West Indies at the same time. Sir Arthur Priestley's team was invited by Barbados and Jamaica; Lord Hawke took out a side at the invitation of Demerara; Trinidad was ready to welcome both parties. An amalgamation was proposed, but the plan did not work. Neither team clashed in any way, but Priestley's, which looked the stronger because it included A. E. Stoddart, S. M. J. Woods and R. C. N. Palairet, was beaten five times. He was born on November 9, 1865.

RUSHTON, MR. HARRY, who died in London on May 25, played cricket in New York for thirty-five years and was secretary from 1911 to 1931 of the Metropolitan District Cricket League. He was born at Northampton on November 10, 1871.

SCOTT, MR. ARTHUR PICKETT, who was born on September 1, 1885, died suddenly at Boxgrove, Chichester on June 3. When in the Marlborough XI in 1903, he headed the batting averages, and in 1904, when he was captain and a really good all-round cricketer, he enjoyed a great personal triumph against Rugby at Lord's scoring 155 and taking in the first innings three wickets for 10 runs. At Cambridge, he lost his bowling skill, and although scoring 65 in the Freshmen's match in 1905, he failed in the Seniors' game the following year, and was never given a trial for the University.

SCOTT, MR. STANLEY WINCKWORTH, who died on December 8, was a prominent figure in Middlesex cricket and when contemporary with Walter Read, A. E. Stoddart, Lionel Palairet and H. T. Hewett stood out as one of the best batsmen in the country. Born in Bombay, on March 24, 1854, he played for Middlesex by residence. Educated at Streatham School and Brentwood School, he learned his cricket on Streatham Common, but did not get into the Middlesex eleven until twenty-four years of age. At once showing himself a batsman of more than ordinary ability, he improved so much that in 1882, 1885 and 1886, he headed the county batting averages, his average in the last-mentioned season being 37.10. In 1892, he did particularly well, coming out first in batting with an average of 39, and, hitting up 224 against Gloucestershire, achieved what at that time was a rare distinction. Chosen that year for the Gentlemen both at Lord's and at the Oval, he on each occasion did himself full justice. At Lord's in the first innings he scored 60, and at the Oval 80 in the second, the latter effort being made against such great bowlers as Lohmann, Peel, Lockwood and William Barnes. After 1893, however, Stanley Scott, due to the claims of his business on the Stock Exchange, and to give up the game; otherwise he undoubtedly would have earned still greater renown. His powerful build and large dark moustache made him easily recognised on the field. Playing in a fine attractive style, and getting most of his runs in front of the wicket, he was especially brilliant on the off-side. He also appeared for Herefordshire and in minor cricket was always a great run-getter.

SCOTT, MR. THOMAS GILBERT, who died on August 16 at Pelsham, Sussex, was a member of the Bradfield College XI in 1889, 1890 and 1891. During recent years he raised sides to play against the touring teams to this country at his private ground. He was the father of the Sussex captain, R. S. G. Scott and of P. M. R. Scott, who has played a few times for Oxford University.

SOLBÉ, MR. FRANK DE LISLE, who died in January at Bickley, was born at Chefoo on June 1, 1871. He had the rare experience of being a member of two Public school elevens--of Dulwich College in 1887 and 1888, and of Blair Lodge in 1889 and 1890. A free and attractive batsman, he did splendid service for Bickley Park, but achieved no great distinction on a few appearances for Kent in 1891, 1892 and 1898. He was the father of the Tonbridge and Kent amateur, E. P. Solbé.

STANTON, MR. HENRY VALENTINE LABROW, formerly Wanderer of The Sportsman, died on May 30. Admitted a solicitor in the'70's, he took up the profession of sports journalist, and for over forty years his personal column in The Sportsman, with its list of birthdays, attracted a large circle of readers. Wanderer, his nom-de-plume, became a second and more popular pet name than the very familiar Jingle used by his close friends. Over six feet in stature, with a large moustache and side whiskers, he remained a Victorian in appearance to the end. Widely known, particularly at social functions, he had many invitations showered upon him, largely because of his readiness to speak. His replies for The Visitors were always apt, often humorous. He invariably said the right thing in a pleasant manner. A member of the Middlesex Cricket Club, he always attended the annual general meeting and for many years he enjoyed the agreeable task of proposing the election of the officers. All the big people in the Cricket, Association and Rugby Football worlds were ready to have a word with Stanton. He was also a vice-president of the Borough of Islington Football League. Born on November 10, 1859, he survived all his journalistic colleagues of the late seventies. During the past few years associated with the production of Wisden's Cricketers' Almanack, he was responsible for the averages and a good deal of other statistical matter.

STEEL, MR. DOUGLAS QUINTIN, a member of the famous Lancashire family of which A. G. was the most illustrious, died on December 2 at Upton, Cheshire. He was a member of the Uppingham School XI for five seasons-- 1871 to 1875--and led the side in the last two years. At this time, Uppingham, thanks to the excellent work of their coach, H. H. Stephenson, were very strong, among Mr. Steel's contemporaries being his brother A. G., A. P. Lucas, W. S. Patterson, S. S. Schultz and H. T. Luddington--all Cambridge Blues. D. Q. Steel was in the Cambridge eleven for four years-- 1876 to 1879--and batted very well in the first two years. His career for Lancashire extended from 1876 to 1886. His only century in first-class cricket was 158 for Cambridge University v. Surrey at the Oval in 1877.

STEEL, MR. JAMES, who died suddenly at Carlisle on January 15, was born on September 19, 1862 and was in the Fettes School XI in 1878, 1879 and 1880, being captain in the last year; he subsequently played for Cumberland. He played for North v. South at Rugby Football in 1885. A member of the M.C.C., he captained Carlisle C.C. for many years and was editor of the Carlisle Journal from 1904 to 1932.

STOKES, DR. LENNARD, who died on May 3, was educated at Bath and played in a few matches for Kent in 1877 and 1880, though his highest score was only 17. In club cricket, however, he showed fine hitting powers and on one occasion played an innings of 224. He was much more successful at Rugby Football; a fine three-quarter, he played for England when nineteen years old and continued his International career for seven consecutive seasons-- 1875 to 1881. During his five years captaincy of Blackheath the Club enjoyed the most brilliant period in its history. From 1886 to 1888 he was President of the Rugby Union.

SUGG, FRANK HOWE, who died on May 29, was born at Ilkeston on January 11, 1862. A fine enterprising batsman, especially strong in driving and square-leg hitting, and a brilliant outfield, who not only covered a lot of ground but possessed a very safe pair of hands, he had the experience--very unusual in modern days--of playing for three different counties. He appeared for Yorkshire in 1883, for Derbyshire--his native county--in 1884, 1885 and 1886, and for thirteen seasons subsequently, having qualified by residence, he assisted Lancashire. While doing little as a member of the Yorkshire team, he rendered capital service to Derbyshire, running second in the averages one year to L. C. Docker, and in another to W. Chatterton, while amongst his scores was one of 187 against Hampshire at Southampton. His great work, however, was accomplished for Lancashire. Standing six feet high, he possessed very quick sight and, if his methods tended to make him a poor starter, no one was more likely on a bad wicket to turn the fortunes of a game. Altogether for Lancashire he scored 10,375 runs with an average of 26. He played in 1896 an innings of 220 against Gloucestershire and on five other occasions exceeded 150, his hundreds in first-class cricket numbering sixteen in all. In the game with Somerset at Taunton in 1899, he and G. R. Baker hit up 50 runs off three consecutive overs, Sugg, in one of these, registering five 4's. Sugg appeared several times for the Players against the Gentlemen and in 1888 took part in Test Matches against Australia at the Oval and at Manchester. His recollections of these two games must have been very happy, for at the Oval, where he made 31, the Australians were dismissed for 80 and 100, England winning in a single innings, and at Manchester, where he scored 24, Australia's totals were 81 and 70, and again England triumphed with an innings to spare. Some time after the close of his career Sugg officiated as an umpire in first-class matches. Lancashire gave him their match with Kent at Old Trafford in 1897 as a benefit. Frank Sugg was equally good at Association football and he gained fame with Sheffield Wednesday, Derby County, Burnley and Bolton Wanderers, being captain of the first three teams. Such was his versatility in sport that, besides his prowess at cricket and football, he excelled as a long distance swimmer and joined with Burgess and Heaton in swims; he held the record for throwing the cricket ball; reached the final of the Liverpool Amateur Billiards Championship; won prizes all over the country for rifle shooting, bowls, and putting the shot, and was famed as a weight lifter.

SUGG, WALTER, who died in May, was a good free-hitting batsman and a magnificent field at cover-point. Although not built on such generous lines as his more famous brother, Frank, and while not so successful, he had a good eye and flexible wrists, and generally looked to be the better batsman. From 1884 until 1902 he played for Derbyshire every season with the exception of that of 1885. Contemporary with Chatterton, Davidson, Bagshaw, Joseph Hulme, Storer and S. H. Evershed, he played one of his best innings for Derbyshire against the South Africans at Derby in 1894. Derbyshire were put in to bat after H. H. Castens, the South African captain, won the toss, but they scored 325. Walter Sugg hitting up 121 before he was run out. Altogether in first-class matches he scored 3,471 runs with an average of 18.36. His benefit match, the Yorkshire fixture at Chesterfield in 1898 is still talked about. On that occasion Brown and Tunnicliffe eclipsed all previous records in important cricket with a first-wicket partnership of 554, that stood as a record until two other Yorkshire batsmen-- Sutcliffe and Holmes--beat it with a stand of 555 against Essex at Leyton in 1932. Prior to assisting Derbyshire Sugg, in 1881, appeared in one match for Yorkshire. He was born at Ilkeston on May 21, 1860.

TINSLEY, A., who like his brother, H. J. Tinsley, played for both Yorkshire and Lancashire, died during 1933. Born at Malton, Yorkshire, on March 13, 1867, he appeared for Yorkshire in one match during 1887 but afterwards turned out for Lancashire, whom he assisted from 1890 to 1895. He finished sixth in the batting list of 1892 with an aggregate of 403 in county games. In the match with Sussex at Manchester in 1894, he and Briggs added 97 in an hour; the following season he batted admirably in making 65 against Nottinghamshire at Nottingham. Tinsley assisted Staffordshire some years afterwards.

TROUGHTON, LIEUT.-COLONEL LIONEL HOLMES WOOD, a notable figure in Kent cricket circles, died on August 31. He was born at Seaford, Sussex, on May 17, 1879. A member of the Dulwich College Eleven in 1897, he played for Kent Second Eleven in 1900, but did not appear for the county side until 1907. His two most successful seasons for Kent were 1914, when he scored 776 runs and hit up 104 against Oxford University, and 1921 when he obtained 761 runs. He followed Mr. E. W. Dillon as captain of Kent in 1914 and held the leadership until 1923 when he succeeded the late Tom Pawley as general manger of the county club--a post he held at the time of his death. Although never a very prominent batsman, Mr. Troughton often batted with resolution and was a capable captain. Accompanying the M.C.C. side to the Argentine under the captaincy of Mr. A. C. MacLaren in 1911-12 he played an innings of 112 not out v. Combined Camps at Buenos Ayres.

WALLINGTON, SIR EDWARD WILLIAM, C.M.G., G.C.V.O., who was born at Basingstoke on December 7, 1854, died on December 12. Educated at Sherborne, he was in the Eleven from 1870 to 1873, leading the side in the last year. Going to Oxford in 1875, he did not get his Blue until 1877. He also played for Dorset and Wiltshire. Scores and Biographies said of him: Is a good batsman with steady defence, a slow under-hand bowler and fields well, generally taking point, cover-point or short leg. After his cricket career finished, he was Private Secretary to the Governor of New South Wales at Government House, Sydney, and afterwards took up an important position in Melbourne. He also held the post of Private Secretary and Treasurer to the Queen.

WINTER, MR. GEORGE ADLINGTON, D.D., Honorary Canon of Norwich Cathedral, was born on March 6, 1853, and died on October 13. He was in the Marlborough College XI in 1872, and was at Keble College, Oxford, without getting a trial for the University.

WOOD, MR. ARTHUR HARDY, died on July 12, aged 89. Born on May 25, 1844, he was educated at Eton but did not get a place in the eleven, and for some years was best known in the hunting field as secretary of the Hampshire Hunt and in 1884 became Master of the Hounds. He first played for Hampshire in 1868 and captained the eleven for three seasons beginning in 1883. In 1886 he was elected President of the County Club and remained a vice-president until his death. He was also a vice-president of the Sussex County Club, and for many seasons recently when a member of the committee, was a very good friend to the young professionals. Standing six feet high Mr. Wood is described as having been an excellent batsman and capable fieldsman, usually at mid-wicket-off. He also kept wicket for Hampshire--then a second-class county.

WOOD, SIR JOHN BARRY, K.C.I.E., K.C.V.O., C.S.I., was born April 27, 1870, and died on February 10. He was a member of the Marlborough College eleven in 1887, 1888 and 1889, leading the side in the last two years. Tried for Oxford University in 1891 he obtained his Blue the following year, and in 1892 and 1893, he took 53 wickets for the University with his lob bowling, but in the latter year he was very expensive. He was a good field and often batted quite well. Although in 1890 he played for Warwickshire, then a second-class county, he gave up first-class cricket after his Oxford days.

WYLD, CAPTAIN WILLIAM HENRY, late of 16th (Queen's) Lancers, died on March 8, at the advanced age of 84, at Hurstbourne Priors, Whitchurch, Hants. He was in the Marlborough College XI in 1866 and 1867, scoring 74 against Rugby in the latter year.


Particulars of the following deaths were received too late for inclusion in the ALMANACK of 1933:--

CAVE, SIR BASIL SHILLITO, K.C.M.G., C.B., who played for M.C.C. in 1902, died on October 9, 1931. Born on November 14, 1865, he was educated at Merchant Taylors School. For some time he was Consul-General at Algiers.

DOBSON, ARTHUR, who died on September 17, 1932, appeared in two matches for Yorkshire in 1879. Scores and Biographies described him as a moderate batsman, a medium-pace bowler, generally fields at cover-point. He was born at Ilkley on February 22, 1854.

KEENE, JOHN WILLIAM, who played for Surrey, Worcestershire and Scotland, died on January 3, 1931. A useful left-hand bowler on the slow side of medium pace, he used, when playing for Mitcham, to make the ball come back sharply and on a pitch which helped him met with considerable success in club cricket. After appearing for Surrey in 1897, he represented Worcestershire, but his career with that county extended over only three seasons-- 1903-1905. His best year was 1903, when he took 36 wickets for 17.88 runs each. Keene, who was born on April 25, 1874, held the post of coach at Loretto School.

LAYNE, OLIVER H., a member of the West Indies team that toured England in 1906, died in August, 1932. An all-rounder, he began that tour by taking six wickets for 74 in the second innings against Mr. W. G. Grace's XI at the Crystal Palace, and in the second match--against Essex at Leyton--scored 106. He finished sixth in the batting list, scoring 465 runs and averaging 23.25, and came out second in bowling with a record of 34 wickets for 24.08 runs apiece. He was born on July 2, 1876.

OLIVIER, CAPT. SIDNEY ROBERT, C.M.G., R.N. (retired), who played for Hampshire in 1895, died on January 21, 1932.

PRIESTLEY, MR. HUGH WILLIAM, M.C., who died on January 6, 1932, was educated at Uppingham and Cambridge Universtity. He played for Buckinghamshire and in some first-class matches for M.C.C. in 1911.

SULLIVAN, MR. JOSEPH HUBERT BARON, who died on February 8, 1932, appeared in the Yorkshire eleven in 1912. Educated at Rossall, he went up to Cambridge but did not get a Blue. He was born on September 21, 1890.


In the obituary notices in the 1933 issue of the Almanack Mr. E. C. Streatfeild was referred to as a left-handed batsman. Actually he batted and bowled right hand.

© John Wisden & Co