South Africa in Australia 2012-13

Watson won't bowl in Adelaide

Daniel Brettig in Adelaide

November 19, 2012

Shane Watson will not bowl in Adelaide, and accepts that his inability to do so will count against him significantly at the selection table ahead of the second Test against South Africa. All eyes were on Watson at Australia's first training session at Adelaide Oval, and while he batted and ran comfortably, the vice-captain did not push his strained calf in an attempt to prove his allround fitness at the bowling crease.

Content instead to present himself for selection as a batsman in Adelaide, Watson said he nonetheless remained committed to the allrounder's path despite its considerable injury risks, and left it up to the captain Michael Clarke and the selectors to decide if he is worth his place ahead of Rob Quiney or David Warner - both batsmen who will be capable of some bowling in the match.

"If that's what Michael and the selectors think is the best balance for the team I'm not going to [oppose that]," Watson said. "I'd love to be out there, but if that's the best balance of the team, that's exactly what's best for the team, and I'm comfortable with that, because the thing I love doing more than anything is being an allrounder, being able to contribute with bat and ball whenever I'm fit, and I know that's my value to a team more than just batting.

"There's no doubt the way Adelaide Oval is as well, it's fairly conducive to run scoring, so the bowling options will certainly help Michael out if things don't go exactly to plan. The most important thing is to be able to run without really hurting it [his calf], so bowling is out at this point in time, so for me it's just being able to run around and do the skills to be able to fit to play as a batsman to start with."

Watson's place in Australia cricket has been the subject of much conjecture since he suffered the calf strain before the first Test in Brisbane, an injury that yet again pushed him to the sidelines at a critical time for the national team. Public comment by the likes of Clarke, the national selector John Inverarity and the team performance manager Pat Howard have shown a range of views on Watson's value to the team and his best role within it, but the allrounder said he felt only support rather than pressure or impatience from the team hierarchy.

"I know how things work within the media, if things are going well they know how to pump up your tyres, and when they aren't and you're not fit they go the opposite way," Watson said. "Within the group everyone knows where I'm at, the things I'm doing to try to get fit, so I certainly don't feel that at all. It's moreso the outer influences around with what's written and talked about more than anything that has an influence away from the group.

Shane Watson fielding at Australia's training session, Adelaide, November 19, 2012
Shane Watson fielded and batted at training in Adelaide on Monday but did not bowl © Getty Images

"Everyone continues to be unbelievably supportive and wants me to get out on the park because everyone wants me to get fit. They also know how much I love playing and getting out there and trying to show off my skills. I haven't let it affect me as much as in the past because of how quickly it can change either way."

In collaboration with Australia's physio Alex Kountouris, Watson will push up his running intensity on Tuesday before the selectors make their final call on his fitness on Wednesday. Both Watson and the team are conscious of the danger posed by his breaking down in the middle of an Adelaide Test, on a pitch that can be unforgiving for bowlers until it begins to wear on days four and five.

"I'm definitely going to have to up the intensity over the next couple of days, no doubt," Watson said. "If everything goes well and I get selected I need to make sure I am ready to handle a Test match. I know how important this Test is. I need to make sure I'm as good to 100% as I can be to give myself the best chance of getting through the Test without stirring it up again, because that would be the worst case scenario for everyone - I wouldn't want to let the team down."

At 31, Watson is no longer a cricketer with a decade or more ahead of him, and he could be forgiven for thinking deeply about how he might best make use of his talent. However he denied any thoughts about either reducing his workload or being more particular about when he might play, expressing the desire to return to the durability he demonstrated from 2009 to 2011, when he played 23 consecutive Tests.

"The more I think about what we've got and the more things you think about trying to find the right time to have a rest - in the end I just want to be able to play whenever I'm fit," he said. "I know, pushing my body and being an allrounder I know there's a chance that you could get injured, especially the way me body is there is a more than likely chance compared to other people that I'm going to get injured, so when I'm fit and ready to go I just want to be able to play whenever I can.

"I'd love to be able to get to a stage where like I did a few years ago and get a rest where I physically and mentally need a bit of a rest, that for me is the ultimate, to be able to know I've got through that amount of cricket then get a rest even for a week or a few games. That's what I'm dreaming about, to not just be rested because we've got so much coming up, the ultimate is to be rested when I've played a lot of cricket and need a break."

Daniel Brettig is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. He tweets here

RSS Feeds: Daniel Brettig

Posted by popcorn on (November 20, 2012, 12:23 GMT)

Shane Watson is Australia's MVP (Mosdty Valuable Player0. Nurture him. If he is sensble, he will stop playing T20.Like Michael Clarke.

Posted by smudgeon on (November 20, 2012, 6:05 GMT)

I can't help but giggle a little over comments here regarding Watson's batting credentials in tests. Some comments have even explicitly stated he is Australia's best batsman! Really? If it's true, then we're all damned. Seriously though, he has the talent, but until he shows the kind of application and determination to occupy the crease that Clarke, Cowan, and Hussey showed in the last test, he needs to play as all-rounder to justify his selection. I'll be surprised (and disappointed) if he leap-frogs Quiney in the selection queue for Adelaide without being fit to bowl.

Posted by disco_bob on (November 20, 2012, 5:35 GMT)

I will add to the support for Watson as a batter. I'd feel more comfortable seeing him open against SA than any of his replacements. It is absolutely vital that at least one of our openers hangs around for a while against the SA'ers, if both fall cheaply, then unless we can inflict similar top order damage, it would be a tough task to win against this bowling attack. Watson has proved himself to be a pugnacious and belligerent opener when it really mattered and he has been like this from the moment he got his chance.

Posted by sawifan on (November 20, 2012, 4:11 GMT)

I agree that if he can't bowl, he will probably be a liability whilst in the field too, and running between wickets. There is always a chance of straining the calf whilst setting off for a quick single or chasing a ball across the turf.@Blakely, i'm not too sure i'm convinced Quniey's 'bowling' ability is anything to get excited about, and @hhillbumper, can't bowl? Compare his stats with that 'great' (in one series) all-rounder of our time, Flintoff. A better average, economy rate, strike rate and the same amount of 5-fors (from 1/5 the deliveries). And this from a change bowler, not a strike weapon as Flintoff supposedly was.

Posted by Meety on (November 20, 2012, 3:55 GMT)

@ravikiran.bits on (November 19 2012, 11:58 AM GMT) - India did do some good things between 2007 to 2011, (namely squaring the Test series in Sth Africa), however, their rise was dominated by a many home series. Right now, India is going thru a phase where they don't play Tests abroad for 18mths. I don't think there is any clear cut #1 side in the world atm, my heart says Oz, brain says Saffas, it will be clearer by the 3rd Test. I don't believe Oz will be as bad as England were in the 1st Test. All that said, for India to get the respect or acknowledgement you seem to be looking for - prepping pitches like the Ahmedabad strip won't help.

Posted by MattyP1979 on (November 20, 2012, 2:46 GMT)

Watson is highly over-rated both with bat and ball in the TEST arena. One day is a completely different story. Aus played out of their skins in the last test against a 10 man, ill balanced, under-prepared and poor SA to get a draw (without rain probably a win). The next test most of these issues will be resolved and Aus might find themselves up against it. I hope for another hard fought contest but feel SA (Fatto included or not) might be too much. On a seperate note guess which cricket loving pom was right all along about Cowan?

Posted by othello22 on (November 20, 2012, 2:14 GMT)

Honestly, I'm floored by the avalanche of public comment supporting Watson's inclusion for Adelaide as a batsman alone, simply because he has played well in a couple of hit and giggle tournaments recently. Are you people for real? FACT: While his recent ODI and T20 records are excellent, Watson has not scored a test century for more than 2 years. FACT: He has only scored 2 hundreds in his entire 35 test career. FACT: In 35 test matches, he has managed an average of just 37. Since when does 2 centuries at 37 in 35 tests warrant inclusion as a specialist batsman? This is before even considering his constant breakdowns which unsettle the side and throw out the balance of the team completely. Thank God you lot aren't selecting the team or there would be no hope.

Posted by crh8971 on (November 20, 2012, 2:11 GMT)

Some simple facts about Watson: 1. He has only played 9 tests over the course of 2011 and 2012. That is about 50% injury rate. 2. During those tests he has played 17 innings which have produced only 3 50's and no 100's. That is a significant score less than once in every 5 innings. Good test batsmen such as Clarke are at least 1 in 4 and great batsmen such has Ponting has been better than 1 in 3 over his career. His average over that period is 26.94. 3. In his only First Class match this summer he got injured so has had next to no red ball cricket in the last 6 to 9 months.

None of the above facts indicate to me that Watson is an automatic selection as a top six batsmen for Australia, especially with no FC form.

Posted by rohanbala on (November 20, 2012, 1:18 GMT)

Why should the Australian selectors take the risk of playing Shane Watson if he is half fit and cannot bowl? Why not give a chance to someone who can contribute to the middle order with the bat and chip in with a few wickets with the ball?

Posted by V-Man_ on (November 19, 2012, 23:50 GMT)

Don't agree with watson playing just as a batsman. 1st, what if he aggravates his injury while running or fielding. that means he is out for longer. 2nd, without his bowling he is a very average "Test" batsman. australia would be better off giving quiney or khawaja another go.

Posted by Chris_P on (November 19, 2012, 23:23 GMT)

The Argus report recommended picking form players. With a fc average of less than 30 over the past 2 years, can anyone help me understand why Watson deserves a place as a batsman ahead of a myriad of other more worthy players? This isn't one day or T20 where he is the top player, this is test cricket. An allrounder yes, a specialist batsman? A wasted effort. Let's think with a clear head, not emotion please.

Posted by Number_5 on (November 19, 2012, 23:07 GMT)

Watson averages under 40 with the bat which is not up to test standard as a straight batsman. If he cannot bowl, he shouldn't be picked. Quiney deserves another go. Once Watto is fit and can bowl, then pressure should be placed on the incumbent players, but until then rest him up...

Posted by MinusZero on (November 19, 2012, 22:46 GMT)

If he isnt 100% whether he can bowl or not, he shouldnt play. With his record, he will probably re-injure himself playing a 5 day game. Players should have to play a first class game before returning to the national side. What if he gets re-injured in the first hour of the test? A player short for 5 days. Watson should consider test retirement, he is better at the shorter game anyway. It seems selfish to me for a never fit Watson to deny a better player a place in the team. I am sure its mostly about the money.

Posted by skkh on (November 19, 2012, 22:33 GMT)

It's time to look beyond Watson. In the few tests that he has played he has under performed. He is always fit for the shorter form of the game and gets unfit for the tests. He was sidelined for the last summer tests too. If he is not fit to bowl do not get him in. Give Quiney a fair go and consider getting Khawaja in too.

Posted by   on (November 19, 2012, 21:11 GMT)

If aussies don't want watto for batting alone, then any other them would be darn happy to have him. He's destructive just like sehwag or gayle and I prefer watto to open rather than no.3 and if they insist on warner i'd have him later down the order after husse.

Posted by pat_one_back on (November 19, 2012, 20:28 GMT)

Watto has form when it comes to run outs, can't see how protecting his calf can help that. If he can't bowl then he's nursing injury and that's crazy in a 5 day game at home with every other cricketer in the country to choose from. Still dangerous going to Adelaide with only 4 frontline bowlers, Quiney/Warner/Ponting need to give way to a genuine allrounder @6 or 7 or we risk 10-20 'non-contested' overs a day with the ball for basically 20 runs with the bat (30 from an allrounder v 50 from a batsmen) for arguments sake. We should be more concerned about taking 20 wickets and building pressure for hard earned Adelaide wickets than our top order batting forever, we have 3 Bris century makers after all.

Posted by SnowSnake on (November 19, 2012, 18:09 GMT)

Even without bowling, Watson adds value to the team. At this point, Australia must select Watson. He probably is one of the best opener in the world today.

Posted by   on (November 19, 2012, 17:40 GMT)

Although I regard Shane Watson as a world class ODI and T20 player, I regard him average at best when it comes to Test cricket and I simply can't understand all this hype and people wanting him to play as one of Australia's prime batsmen. His record in Tests in the last year and a bit are pathetic. His average? No better than that of a bowler's average who is half decent with the best.

Let's take a closer look:

2011 vs Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka

22,0,36,8,21= 17.4 average

vs SA in SA

3,4,88,0= 23.75 average

vs WI in WI

39,52,56,0,41,5= 31.26 average.

In a total of 15 innings he averages of 24.13. Hardly an average for such a hoo-ha!!! At the same time James Pattinson has an average of 30!!!!

Posted by oracle199 on (November 19, 2012, 16:33 GMT)

You don't get to #1 by winning any single Test Series, be it home or away.....consistent performance gets you there. India and England, having got there, found out very quickly how hard it is to stay there like Australia did for 20-odd years. Perhaps it's not yet a team as invincible as we had during that time, but Australia will be #1 again by Xmas and will be very difficult to displace as the new line-up settles in. Not bad for a team most of you wrote off 12 months ago.

Posted by mike.iz on (November 19, 2012, 15:52 GMT)

If Watson is fit to bat he should play!He's one of the top batters going around.And when he has played as a batsman alone he's done really well.Besides he will give an X-factor in the batting an intimidation effect that is needed against a top quality attack as SA.The times he played consistently under Ponting he was used as a batsman who bowled.This is the future if Watson wants to play regularly;a Batsman who bowls.

Posted by cricket-india on (November 19, 2012, 15:20 GMT)

talk about making a mountain out of a molehill; u have an opener (warner) who's not doing so well, and u want to replace him. look around for options, including former openers who've been out due to form, fitness, etc. watson is one of them. he's good to bat now.he's got a good record. he can open. he sees off the new ball and makes a good 40-60 runs. so play him. end of story.

what's the fuss about watson's bowling? it's only a bonus if he's picked as an opener. why punish watson for being an allrounder in his previous life? ok so don't pick warner, pick another guy. will that offer an extra bowling option? no, right? so what's the problem with picking watson? whoever u pick as an opener (watosn or anyone else) does not offer an extra bowling option; so just pick the best guy u find. if it's watson, so be it!!!

Posted by   on (November 19, 2012, 14:19 GMT)

It is totally unnecessary to take chance with Watson. Too much cricket absorbed his energy level. He should be given more time to make himself fit enough. youngstars like Warner or Quiney need more chances to prove themselves. It's high time the selector provide ample opportunity to them against such a world class bowling line up. That's the way to improve their learning curve....

Posted by electric_loco_WAP4 on (November 19, 2012, 13:31 GMT)

@Marcio- Well said mate... But there is always hope ..after all... No harm in it ,i guess..

Posted by ravikiran.bits on (November 19, 2012, 11:58 GMT)

@Marcio England also got to world No.1 after defeating india in england and now you can see they are getting thrashed everywhere.

same will be the case with other teams, india gave fight in lot of matches in foreign conditions or else we wouldn't have produced such high class batters which other teams doesn't even dream they can produce.

let australia come and we will c at what level they can compete with india

Posted by RyanHarrisGreatCricketer on (November 19, 2012, 11:33 GMT)

whether shane watson bowls or not should not be the consideration at all. after all he is one of the classiest players in the world against fast bowling

Posted by   on (November 19, 2012, 11:21 GMT)

Watson can hold his place in the Ausralian team based on his batting alone. He should play in Adelaide.

Posted by stormy16 on (November 19, 2012, 10:56 GMT)

I dont get this issue surrounding Watto - firstly he must be fit to play and that should not be in any doubt. Not sure if it is but seems like he is not fit as of today but hopes to be batting fit come the test but definitley wont bowl in the test. I would have thought the idea is to get him fit, test it (say in a sheild game) and then play him in a test - obviously not in Adelaid. They first said without bowling Watto wont play but now seem to be suggesting he could play as a batter but unfit bowler. I reckon by taking a chance on his fitness in Adelaid he could miss the 3rd (deciding?) test. Said this over and over - get him fit, forget his bowling and invest in a top order batter that Aus so desperately is seeking.

Posted by Marcio on (November 19, 2012, 10:46 GMT)

@gsingh7, India are currently an abysmal test team who only got to #1 because they barely played away from home for 2 years. Even you know they cannot compete at any level when they leave their home grounds. How can such a team ever challenge for the top spot? Oh, I forgot. They now have one win in a row at home!

Posted by hhillbumper on (November 19, 2012, 10:38 GMT)

thank god he can't bowl. Oh sorry this is due to injury i just thought he had accepted that he can't bowl.Most over rated player going. Spends more time injured than on pitch except for when payed by IPL.ironic that

Posted by Fleming_Mitch on (November 19, 2012, 10:28 GMT)

Get Watson in, he is one our best batsman, if he can bat then he is good to go. He is a batter that bowls a little not the other way around. He is 2 times AB border medal winner, you don't get those if you are not world class.

Posted by Blakey on (November 19, 2012, 9:53 GMT)

Watson needs to be able to bowl because he can't field and he only averages in the 30s from 60 odd innings with only 2 hundreds. Yes he has 18 50s but 50s don't win test matches. 100s and wickets win tests. This is the reason why Quiney is in the team; he brings fielding and bowling skills with his batting ability shown over the last couple of years at shield level. Likewise, Cowan has fielding to compliment his batting and Warner has fielding and bowling. The selectors have been talking about bringing something else to the game along with your standard efforts. Particularly while we are developing our next group of highly talented batsmen. Ponting and Hussey are still there because they have proven themselves over a long period of time. @Timmy, Maxwell needs to confirm his place in Victoria's team first.

Posted by gsingh7 on (November 19, 2012, 9:17 GMT)

hoping for south africa win so that india cud regain top spot when they visit them later

Posted by rich26 on (November 19, 2012, 9:01 GMT)

@ Gilly4ever: "Cowan ... [shouldn't] be in the team, or even be in the ballpark of selection, ever!" - Harsh! There have been so many negative comments from Aussies about Cowan since he debuted. They seems to have dried up slightly since his hundred last week. Australia has won six of his eight tests (and drawn the other two). Even when he has failed he has usually hung around long enough not to expose the middle order to fresh bowlers with a new ball - unlike the last Ashes series for example when Australia was regularly two or three down for zip.

Posted by rajpan on (November 19, 2012, 8:54 GMT)

It's ridiculous to think that calf does not get strained during batting or fielding. May be not to the extent while bowling. But if he has to spend two days in field and then open the innings immediately, that calf is bound to complain !! Either you are fit or you aren't. I don't think the Aussies have dropped to such a level of incompetency that an unfit (even if only partially) experienced player is considered better option than a fully fit but less experienced player.

Posted by mthw on (November 19, 2012, 8:50 GMT)

I dont understand... if he cant bowl then how can he bat (run between wickets) for a long period of time... Its a leg injury not like a shoulder or something.. If he cant bowl then he surely his leg isnt 100% fit?? I cant understand why they wouldnt pick.. Surely if he is planning to be a batsman then he be planning to bat all day, unless he is planning to have another 50 ball innings of 50 and get out again??

Posted by dunger.bob on (November 19, 2012, 8:39 GMT)

@ SillyMidPavilion on (November 19 2012, 07:35 AM GMT): I'll go along with that. Sounds very sensible to me.

Posted by Mikecricket on (November 19, 2012, 7:44 GMT)

Right choice there! Watto should think about his batting at the moment

Posted by SillyMidPavilion on (November 19, 2012, 7:35 GMT)

I wouldn't play Watson in Adelaide. Watson would get more time for his calf to heal, Quiney would get some more time to prove his worth as a batsman, and Warner would get another chance to show he can bat a Test match innings. That way, Watson can come into Perth with a calf that is right to take on the challenges of cricket, and we can make sure that we axe the right man for Watson's return.

Posted by Mary_786 on (November 19, 2012, 7:35 GMT)

I would personally bring in Watson if he is fit to bat as he is among our top 6 batsman, however for those who haven't seen Quiney bat in shield, he is a reliable batsman who won't let us down. Also with the likes of Khawaja, Burns and Doolan in the wings Aussie batting stocks are looking good.

Posted by Bangatron on (November 19, 2012, 7:05 GMT)

Sorry Naren but since when do T20 results matter in test selection? I agree that Watson should play but not because he is a great T20 player, but because he is in the best 6 test batsmen in australia.

Posted by ajayrcs on (November 19, 2012, 5:33 GMT)

Well this doesn't mean he can't bat, So why there is question about his place in team? I think he is way better than Quiney. If he can bowl he still has place as batsman same goes to Haddin if people find him as not so good keeper than take him as batsman.

Posted by Naren on (November 19, 2012, 5:13 GMT)

What is the use of Argus review? It will be ridiculous to leave Watson out because he is not going to bowl in this test. He single handedly took Australia and Sydney Sixers to the T20 Semis.

Posted by   on (November 19, 2012, 5:09 GMT)

I know there is a lot of pressure on warner at the moment but I think if he averages 30 then he has done his job. I would actually like to see Australia move warner to 6 when hussey goes watson to 4 and then quiney comes in as an opener and one of khwaja, doolan, burns, maxwell, or hughes comes in for ponting

Posted by bridget01 on (November 19, 2012, 4:57 GMT)

do not play Watson....he is well and truly overated as a top order test batsman and his record back it up.....His conversion rate batting in the top three is terrible and unless he is bowling, he does not deserve a test spot. 6 or 7 suits his natural game and when fit, he is a quality allrounder.....lets not get all excited with his tremendous batting ability....because he just doesn't back it up when it counts....great one day player and good test allrounder....don't play him just as a batsman!!!!!!

Posted by Ozcricketwriter on (November 19, 2012, 4:41 GMT)

I'd play him purely as a batsman. He has batted better when he hasn't been able to bowl, and there is no doubt that, purely as a batsman, he is a lot better than either Quiney or Cowan (neither of whom should be in the team, or even be in the ballpark of selection, ever!). Perhaps David Hussey should be in the side ahead of him, but since DHuss is seemingly permanently ignored, Watson is the best option. Perhaps another true all-rounder could be considered, but there is nobody in the squad. So it is Watson all the way.

Posted by BlightyTragic on (November 19, 2012, 4:36 GMT)

I really don't know why Australia continues to flirt with this idea of they need an All Rounder. After the Ashes loss of 2005, Ponting made a point of having someone who was a decent All Rounder in the side after seeing Flintoff in his zenith. But Australia hasn't produced one of note in recent times (Kieth Miller will always be fondly regarded) Andrew Symonds was perhaps the best of slim pickings, but even he wasn't used very well by his captain in the Test Arena. ODIs completely different. Watson is and should be considered for the test on his batting alone. If he doesn't bowl, who cares. Or make him a white ball bowler, which to be truthful, probably suits him better anyway. I would prefer he score a handy 60 quickly than take a wicket to break a partnership.

Posted by Kolpak1989 on (November 19, 2012, 4:10 GMT)

Play Quiney at 3. Rest Watto up for the Perth test match. By then we will have had a better look at how Quiney bats at test level and whether Warner can put enough value on his wicket to start adding value to this team with the bat.

Posted by Edwards_Anderson on (November 19, 2012, 4:09 GMT)

If he is good enough to bat, then get him in, he is among the best 6 batsman in the country

Posted by msg90 on (November 19, 2012, 4:02 GMT)

They talk a lot about him "pushing off" his foot for bowling. But what about pushing off for running between the wickets as well? You don't want to play him as a batsman if he's not going to be able to be as effective a runner as he could be, and we all know his running between the wickets struggle.

Posted by Baysider on (November 19, 2012, 4:01 GMT)

I doubt there is any team in the world that would knock back Shane Watson in their batting line up. If the Aussies think they can win without him then the match has been rigged !!

Posted by   on (November 19, 2012, 3:50 GMT)

i still think Watson should play even if does not bowl.. he certainly is a better batsman than Quiney..

Posted by chad_reid on (November 19, 2012, 3:45 GMT)

well if he cant bowl i would give him ago down the order

cowan, quiney, ponting, clarke, hussey, watson, wade, pattinson, starc, o'keefe, cutting

Daniel BrettigClose
Daniel Brettig Assistant editor Daniel Brettig had been a journalist for eight years when he joined ESPNcricinfo, but his fascination with cricket dates back to the early 1990s, when his dad helped him sneak into the family lounge room to watch the end of day-night World Series matches well past bedtime. Unapologetically passionate about indie music and the South Australian Redbacks, Daniel's chief cricketing achievement was to dismiss Wisden Almanack editor Lawrence Booth in the 2010 Ashes press match in Perth - a rare Australian victory that summer.
Tour Results