Australia v South Africa, 1st Test, Perth December 9, 2005

Clark called in while Clarke stays out

Cricinfo staff



Stuart Clark is part of a four-pronged New South Wales pace contingent © Getty Images

Stuart Clark has been added to Australia's 12-man squad for the first Test against South Africa starting next Friday, but there was no place for the in-form Michael Clarke. Clarke scored a double-century for New South Wales and 82 not out in Wednesday's ODI against New Zealand in response to his Test sacking last month, but the allrounder Andrew Symonds, who struck a brutal 156 at Wellington, was given another chance to prove he is capable of mixing both roles.

Trevor Hohns, the chairman of selectors, said the trade of Clark for the legspinner Stuart MacGill was a "conditions selection" with the Perth surface suited to the speed men. "We felt we needed to include another fast bowler and Stuart has been a steady performer for a long time," Hohns said. "We have seen that through his performances in the one-day matches in New Zealand."

Clark's debut will depend on the make-up of the side, but the fast-bowling stocks are dominated by New South Welshmen with McGrath, Lee and Bracken battling for spots alongside Shane Warne. Brett Lee is not expected to have any further trouble from a breathing problem after he had tissue removed from his left nasal passage in Sydney this morning. Lee left the one-day tour of New Zealand on Thursday but should be fully fit for the first match of the three-Test series.

Australia squad Matthew Hayden, Justin Langer, Ricky Ponting (capt), Brad Hodge, Michael Hussey, Andrew Symonds, Adam Gilchrist (wk), Shane Warne, Brett Lee, Stuart Clark, Nathan Bracken, Glenn McGrath.

Comments