ICC Hall of Fame

Kapil Dev inducted into Hall of Fame

Cricinfo staff

March 9, 2010

Kapil Dev after being inducted into the ICC Hall of Fame, Dubai, March 9, 2010
Kapil Dev is best remembered for leading India to victory in the 1983 World Cup © ICC
Players/Officials: Kapil Dev
Teams: India

Former India captain Kapil Dev has been inducted into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame. The 51-year-old played 131 Tests and 225 ODIs across a 16-year career, and is best remembered for leading India to victory in the 1983 World Cup.

Kapil made his international debut in a one-dayer against Pakistan in Quetta in October 1978. His Test debut followed two weeks later in Faisalabad against the same opponents.

One of the greatest fast bowlers that India has produced and its finest bowling allrounder, he ended with a remarkable 434 Test wickets and 253 ODI wickets.

In 1994, he became the leading wicket-taker in Tests when he overtook Richard Hadlee, a record that was eventually broken by West Indies pacer Courtney Walsh. Also, in 1988 he leapfrogged another West Indies fast bowler, Joel Garner, to become the most successful bowler in ODIs, a record he held until 1994 when his tally of 253 wickets was passed by Wasim Akram.

Kapil's best bowling figures in a Test were 11 for 146 against Pakistan in Chennai in 1980, while in ODIs his best figures came in the group stages of the 1983 World Cup when he took 5 for 43 against Australia in Nottingham.

With the bat, he scored 5248 Test runs, including eight centuries and 27 fifties, at an average of 31.05. He also made 3783 ODI runs, including a highest of 175 not out against Zimbabwe at Tunbridge Wells during the 1983 World Cup.

At a ceremony at the ICC headquarters in Dubai on Monday, ICC president David Morgan, alongside former West Indies captain Clive Lloyd presented Kapil with a commemorative cap.

Speaking on the occassion, Kapil said, "I am proud and happy to have been inducted into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame and it's amazing to think that I have been picked as one of the greats of Indian cricket.

"I am delighted to have been named alongside so many great players of the game but for me, when I was growing up, the man I always looked up to was Sunil Gavaskar from the moment I started playing cricket. Now to be named also alongside greats of the game such as Clive Lloyd, Richard Hadlee and Wasim Akram it truly fantastic," he said.

Morgan said Kapil was an all-time great player. "He did everything. He batted, bowled and he was a fine fielder. I remember the great catch he took to dismiss Viv Richards in the 1983 World Cup final - he was on the run and the ball came over his shoulder, possibly the most difficult of catches."

Lloyd, who was Kapil's opposing number in the 1983 World Cup final, said he was a thoroughly deserving induction into the Hall of Fame. "He was a fantastic cricketer and he was a great asset for Indian cricket during his time at the helm," Lloyd said. "He set the pace for them early on and he came to the fore and did wonderfully well - he played like a true champion and was a brilliant leader."

Posted by niddib on (March 10, 2010, 23:33 GMT)

Word impossible did not exist in Kapil Dev's dictionary. He had the self confidence and he dared all other great allrounders of his time. I remember the series against England when he beat Ian Botham to get man of the series award. He responded to Botham's destructive batting with his hurricane innings and matched wicket for wicket. I can not forget this man who instilled faith and self belief in Indian cricket like no one before, the man who bowled fast at a time when no Indian even dreamt of it. He is one of the finest allrounder of all time. People who point a finger at his bowling records should not forget the dead Indian tracks on which he bowled and the lack of a genuine fast bowling partner at the other end. He is and always be my hero. Kapil, you are the NORTH STAR of Indian cricket. I salute you.

Posted by Vishalj.me on (March 10, 2010, 9:59 GMT)

It would be worthwhile to compare his bowling average and strike rates with other fast bowlers in his era. Before calling him selfless we should not forget how he kept on playing with poor performances towards end of his career, only to hold the record of Sir Richard. The record which was set with less than 90 matches, our great Kapil Dev broke in 130+ matches. Lets neglect amount of tailenders wickets in his tally. He was a good batsman though.

Posted by   on (March 9, 2010, 19:09 GMT)

Congratulation Kapil you fully deserve it....I am still upset about the way BCCI treated ICL

Posted by rtmohanlal on (March 9, 2010, 19:07 GMT)

Thoroughly deserved recognition for an all time great.Infact the best all round cricketer India has ever produced by a distance. One amazing aspect of his batting which is not often given due credit is his heavy str: rate in tests.To know much about this i looked it in cricinfo. What i got is these facts.In all the inns where he scored 50 or more and of which balls faced count is available(a few scores have this count missing) he has got 2529 runs in 2727 balls.str rate of 92.73!!! At about this str rate he scored at 31.05 avg.ie 2879.2665 str rate * avg: index. For Viv Richards 50.53 * 70 gives 3537.1 . That shows Kapil was 81.4 % as destructive as Viv in tests.And that too in an era of great fast and spin bowlers .Add to this his bowling,fielding, captaincy & longevity ...In my book he leap frogs some allrounders with slightly superior career stats at first glance with the above specified inherent qualities.Take a bow maestro...

Posted by   on (March 9, 2010, 18:21 GMT)

Without a doubt , greatest cricketer that nation has ever produced. We know how popular cricket in India is and if anyone deserves the credit Kapil would be surely first.After achieving so much for the nation he deserves a better treatment.His true greatness lies in his humbleness despite of his incredible accomplishments.Salute to the great man who got the World Cup for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Raj2000 on (March 9, 2010, 18:19 GMT)

It was only a matter of time before Kapil Dev was inducted into the hall of fame. No other player deserves it more. I idolized him as a kid and admire as an adult. He took a more positive attitude the way he played the game. In short, HE made cricket look good. Congratulations and well done!!

Posted by OutCast on (March 9, 2010, 18:11 GMT)

My favourite team was Kapil & Srikkanth India (then)... Two great cricketers that existed on the field... great sportsmanship & entertainers... Both are HoFamers since Day 1.. any awards are extra to these kings.... If I wish to reverse the time, I wish to see both back on field at their 20's... Thanks for the MEMORIES !!

Posted by RP225 on (March 9, 2010, 17:15 GMT)

Greatest Cricketer India has every produced till date. Apart from his all round capabilities, he was a great runner between wickets which goes unnoticed and ofcourse for his excellent ground fielding and accurate throw. In fact, I remember one of the commentary given when the Umpires/Groundsmen were struggling to place the stumps on the centre of the wicket. The commentator told give the ball to Kapil and ask him to throw and they can find the exact place to keep the stumps. Hats Off.

Posted by   on (March 9, 2010, 17:10 GMT)

love u kapil paji u r all time great

Posted by Farce-Follower on (March 9, 2010, 16:17 GMT)

A truly self-less servant of Indian cricket, and perhaps the greatest ever. Kapil Dev, we salue you on this momentous occassion.

Posted by nikhildevdesai on (March 9, 2010, 16:09 GMT)

One of my two favorite players, Kapil and Sachin, both gave India something that nobody dreamed of. Hats off to you Kapilji. My dad was so obsessed with Kapil dev he name me Nikhildev! LOL

Posted by   on (March 9, 2010, 16:07 GMT)

So well deserved Kapil. You were a shining star and despite the passage of time still burn bright. India's very best and second to none among the 4 great allrounders at that time. God bless you.

Posted by mautan on (March 9, 2010, 15:52 GMT)

One more thing I forgot add in my earlier post, he was by far the most aggressive player India produced. However never said a word to the opposition. The Sreesanths, Zaheer's, Ishant's or Pathan's of this world who celebrate as if they have just killed their biggest emeny should learn from these examples. These players celebrate as if their and their family's life dependent on that wicket. Their almost sheer anger at taking a wicket completely beats me. I played a lot of cricket, but never understood 'anger' and mouthing all expletives at getting a wicket!!! Kapil Paaji, when I see todays players, their fitness, behavior their attitudes towards the game, I miss you even more. May you have all the things that you want from life...you made our lives so enjoyable for so many years...

Posted by Manush on (March 9, 2010, 15:44 GMT)

A true great player par excellence from India. He had been given the worst treatment after serving and making the Country proud.He made players believe in themselves and lead from the front in many ways. In India where true fast bowlers suffered he performed as also outside the country well. To the sadistic pleasure of one of his own team mates, he was not allowed to represent the Country without a break that too a fast bowler who was always fit. At the end of his career he had face the humiliation of suspecting his integrity, which he of course faced boldly and cleared his name. He deserves to be in the hall of fame. Congrats again Kapil Dev.

Posted by Cricket_BornForIt on (March 9, 2010, 15:18 GMT)

Kapil You truly deserve this moment...... you are still the best all rounder produced by INDIA

Posted by cricster67 on (March 9, 2010, 14:53 GMT)

I still remember the day of 1983 world cup final. I was in high school and my father was building a house just outside Ahmedabad. It started to rain and we realized we had just received a shipment of cement and it was probably lying open in the rain, waiting to turn into stones. So we headed out to put a tarp on it. Richards was taking the bowling to shreds anyways and I consoled myself that this will save me from the misery of a thousand heartbreaks. Little did I know that a miracle was waiting to happen. By the time we were back, Windies was all but destroyed by some magical bowling of Amarnath and India eventually took its first and only world cup! Kapil was a true leader throughout the cup and the following championship.

While I have great respect for Tendulkar, Gavaskar and Dhoni, Kapil remains my all time favorite. Congratulations to Kapil, and to the hall of fame, for getting to host one of the cricketing greats of all time.

Posted by mautan on (March 9, 2010, 14:34 GMT)

What a player....he would have been the most expensive player if he was playing today. The ONLY CRICKETER IN HISTORY OF THE GAME to score 5000 runs and 400 wickets! 5000 was considered to the benchmark for a test class batsman and 400 was always the landmark for a great batsman! No body has been able to do that till date in the 130 years of cricket.... What a player, my absolute favourite. Well done paaji, wish todays cricketers learn from him. Like Viv Richards said of Kapil...'when I see Kapil, I see a guy with the Indian flag, evry proud of his country'. Congratulations!!!!

Posted by   on (March 9, 2010, 13:50 GMT)

Sir you desrved it and got it Congradulation

Seelan

Posted by IPL_is_not_Cricket on (March 9, 2010, 13:18 GMT)

What a player! Kapil Paaji is the greatest player ever to adore cricket. By inducting him so lately into Hall of Fame nothing is granted to Kapil Paaji. Instead Hall of Fame has attained greater heights by Kapil Paaji.

Posted by rahil_gupta on (March 9, 2010, 13:08 GMT)

truly kapil dev was a very versatile cricketer. he was connoisseur of the art. I was unfortunate to be born too late to enjoy him playing but i relish to watch him bowl and bat in the past matches

Posted by masumaman on (March 9, 2010, 12:50 GMT)

Now BCCI forget about the ICL and take back arguably the best player to be ever produced in India.

Posted by Andre2 on (March 9, 2010, 12:44 GMT)

It is only normal that Kapil be introduced in the Hall of Fame. My guess is that some big bosses at the BCCI are not partiularly happy, considering that Kapil Dev has been one of the main organizer of the Indian Cricket League (ICL) !!! At least the ICC is not so narrow-minded.

Posted by mkgr8_cricfan on (March 9, 2010, 12:38 GMT)

gr8 decision by ICC...no one deserve better than him to be nominated as ICC Cricket Hall of Fame...leaving behind all past harsh treatment of this greatest all rounder of the world..bcci should show decency by regaining his pensions n retirement bonuses and also take advantage of this legendary man experiences to enrich our depleted fast bowling department....hats off to gr8 kapil paajji

Posted by KreativeShot on (March 9, 2010, 12:34 GMT)

Paaji No one deserves it more than you... Here's wishing to you on your way to Century in life too.

Posted by   on (March 9, 2010, 12:26 GMT)

Congratulations Sir... should have been done much before...but better late than never.

Posted by JAYDE6 on (March 9, 2010, 12:24 GMT)

Truly Deserving. A great team man, very fit during his time, he instilled the winning instincts(which past Indian teams lacked). I remember reading an article that, he was arguably the best 'turner' of strike in ODIs. Cheers Kapil!

ESPNcricinfo staffClose