August 2, 2001

Ashes come alight as England bowlers strike back

Ball certainly dominated bat as 17 wickets fell on the first day of the Third npower Test match at Trent Bridge. After England had been dismissed before tea for just 185, they responded in the final session by sending back seven of the tourists to leave Australia on 105-7 at the close.

The first two sessions belonged to Glenn McGrath, the spearhead of the Australian attack. Another five wicket haul, his 20th in Tests, began in fortuitous circumstances as Michael Atherton was given out caught from the second ball of the day, although replays showed that the deflection to Mark Waugh at slip had come from the batsman's arm guard.

Butcher and Ramprakash both fell before lunch but Marcus Trescothick remained unbeaten with a half-century. His dismissal in the early part of the afternoon heralded the start of a collapse, which was to see England lose seven wickets for 92 runs in the second session. McGrath finished with 5-49 and Shane Warne chipped in to collect the two wickets he needed to reach 100 in Tests against England. Apart from Trescothick's 69, only Alec Stewart batted with any conviction. His dismissal, for 46, was a tame affair as he steered the ball to Mark Waugh at slip to give McGrath his fifth victim.

Matthew Hayden was quickly out of the blocks, hitting seven boundaries in 33, when Australia began their reply. Alex Tudor, recalled to the Test arena after a two-year absence, snapped him up in his second over, trapping the left-hander lbw in his crease. Darren Gough then cheered up the sell-out crowd with a fiery six over burst, which brought him 2-15 as Slater played on and Ponting edged behind; both batsmen yet again missing out.

Steve Waugh scored all 13 out of a fourth wicket stand with his brother but hopes of a first Test century at Nottingham were dashed in their infancy as Caddick's steepling bounce found the shoulder of the bat on its way to Atherton at first slip.

Like the rest of his team-mates Mark Waugh was able to get a start but couldn't turn it into a sizeable contribution. Atherton, the England skipper, held another fine slip catch to give Tudor his second scalp.

England began to smell a first innings advantage and the belief intensified three balls into the next over as the last specialist batsman, Damien Martyn, nicked a beauty from Caddick to 'keeper Stewart.

As thoughts of last years two-day Test were revived Caddick, a hero on that occasion, made it three wickets in seven balls trapping Shane Warne lbw for no score.

Fading light ended a pulsating day at 6.42pm with four overs still to be bowled and Australia on 105-7, still 80 runs adrift of England.