County news November 15, 2013

Sussex sign veteran Lewis

ESPNcricinfo staff

Sussex have signed Jon Lewis, the former England seamer, on a one-year contract. Lewis had been allowed to leave Surrey at the end of last season, having moved from Gloucestershire in 2011 after a 16-year career in the west country.

Lewis, 38, played one Test and was capped 15 times in limited-overs internationals for England between 2005 and 2007. He has taken more than 800 first-class wickets since making his debut in 1995 and, although he only played twice in the Championship in 2013, he was part of the Surrey T20 side that reached Finals Day.

"I'm really excited to be joining Sussex, a club I have admired from a distance for a long time and I'm looking forward to a new challenge in my career," Lewis said. "I am really confident that I can make valuable contributions to the team across all competitions. Sussex have a strong squad that in my opinion is close to winning more trophies and I want to help them achieve this."

Sussex had one of the strongest pace attacks in Division One last season, during which they finished third, with Steve Magoffin, Chris Jordan and James Anyon all passing 50 wickets. Magoffin signed a new one-year contract earlier this month, while allrounder Steffan Piolet has also returned to the county. Bringing in a spinner remains a priority, after the departure of Monty Panesar.

Sussex's cricket manager, Mark Robinson, said: "It is great news to have Jon on board for the 2014 season. He brings a wealth of experience and knowhow. He is still remarkably fit and ambitious as to what he wants to achieve in the game. Jon bowled really well for Surrey last year in the Twenty20 competition, so he will not only give increased competition in the four-day team, but will give us greater options in one-day cricket."

Comments