Interviews InterviewsRSS FeedFeeds
The Wisden Cricketer

Robin Smith

'Playing in the West Indies was always the best'

The South African-born England batsman, 47 today, remembers being pelted by the fastest bowlers in the world, being reduced to tears by the management, and more

Interview by Richard Edwards

September 13, 2010

Robin Smith, aka the Judge, was a hero to a generation of England fans brought up on Australian and West Indian domination at the end of the 1980s and early 1990s. His ferocious square-cut, wide-eyed pre-ball routine and bravery against the quicks gave hope; the premature end to his England career broke hearts. And he regularly rescued his beloved Hampshire - both on and off the pitch.

Robin Smith battles on, England v West Indies, 3rd Test, Edgbaston, 2nd day, July 7, 1995
"I was brought up in the old school and I enjoyed working hard and also playing hard" © Getty Images

What are your memories of growing up in Durban?
Going down to Kingsmead at the age of eight to watch the likes of Barry Richards and Graeme Pollock. Because of the apartheid system there was no international cricket, and because there was no television in South Africa we never really had any access to cricket played outside the country. They were wonderful players to watch and players that I admired and looked up to.

Is it true that Richards and Mike Procter would practise at your house?
Dad was a bit of an eccentric and when there was a house for sale next to ours, he bought it, knocked it down and built a cricket pitch. Barry and Mike - who lived only about a mile away - would come over and bat and practise in our back garden. We also had a bowling machine and the pitch we played on was concrete with an Astroturf overlay, so when it was cranked up to 80 or 85mph, it meant I was exposed to pace very early in my life.

You also excelled away from cricket...
I guess so. When I was 17, I held the South African Under-17 110m hurdles and shot put record. That was unique but again it was something that I worked incredibly hard at. I was also in the reserves for the South Africa U-19s rugby side, although I was only 16 at the time. Had I decided to pursue my rugby career, then maybe I would have gone on and played for the full U-19 side and from there, who knows?

Could you have turned your back on cricket at that stage?
Not really. I had just left school when I had the opportunity to go to Hampshire, again thanks to Barry Richards and Mike Procter. They had a meeting with my parents and Mike was very keen for me to go and play for Gloucestershire and Barry wanted me to go to Hampshire. As my brother [Chris] was there at the time, I decided to head to Northlands Road. I was offered a two-week trial and they then offered me a four-year contract. Four years later I was English-qualified, became a local player for Hampshire and played in Perth in the close season, instead of for Natal.

Was it your performance in the B&H Cup final in 1988 that won you England recognition?
That was a significant innings [Smith scored 38 as Hampshire beat Derbyshire] because it was on the big stage, but I remember Micky Stewart being at the quarter-final against Worcestershire that year when I scored 70-odd not out [87 not out] and won the Man-of-the-Match award. That was probably the innings that got me into the England side. I made my debut at Headingley and Chris Cowdrey was captaining the side for the only time. We played against a fierce West Indian side and we were clearly beaten by a much better side. It was a pretty chaotic time, but it didn't really matter who the captain was - that was a top West Indies side.

Did it help having Allan Lamb in that side?
Lamby, for me, was one of my heroes very early on in my life, from the time I would go down to Kingsmead and watch him play with Peter Kirsten. Lamby was a very good manager of people. He understood me and knew that I lacked an enormous amount of self-belief and confidence and he just pumped my tyres up. His confidence was infectious and just being around him was a huge help. When we batted together, he just made it fun; it was never tense. He would always come up and have a joke and a giggle.

"In my opinion Ray Illingworth and Keith Fletcher were the most appalling man managers, the most appalling coaches and the most appalling people that I've met. My career went downhill very rapidly because they didn't want to understand me and were just too quick to knock and criticise

Was it hard to have a smile on your face when you were being pummelled by the West Indians?
I would go out and be physically scared facing Shane Warne, but for me it was never a case of being unsettled by quick bowling. I loved the challenge and playing in the West Indies was always the best - a golden opportunity to go out there and play on good fast, hard-bouncing wickets, and have the likes of Ambrose, Walsh, Marshall and Bishop come charging in at you. I loved that. I got smacked on the body a few times but you would go back, grab yourself a nice large rum-and-ginger, sit under a palm tree and reflect on the day. That for me was what made cricket special. I think the 148 I scored against them at Lord's in 1991 was my best England innings.

You started your Test career with a bang. How much of that was down to Micky Stewart?
He was outstanding. Throughout my early career, Micky was a wonderful manager. He encouraged me, he backed me, and I'll always be grateful to him for that.

You didn't get the same kind of support from his successors?
I'm sitting here in Perth and I'm a million miles away from the days when I played the game, but in my opinion those two [Ray Illingworth and Keith Fletcher] were the most appalling man managers, the most appalling coaches and the most appalling people that I've met. My career went downhill very rapidly because they didn't want to understand me and were just too quick to knock and criticise. It wasn't just me, though. It was such a shame during that period, because I played with about 74 players for England in about five years. Nobody knew what the hell was going on. In my opinion they set English cricket back 10 years.

When did things come to a head?
I was in Pretoria before the start of the 1995-96 tour and Ray Illingworth and John Edrich [England's batting coach at the time] reduced me to tears. I remember speaking, in floods of tears, to Mark Nicholas in the middle in Centurion the afternoon before that Test and telling him that no one had any innings back after being hit by Ian Bishop [who broke Smith's jaw in England's fourth Test against West Indies earlier that year]. And Mark - who was a tremendous mentor during my career and was a fantastic manager of people - told me that I had to pull myself together because I was going out there tomorrow to bat for England. And I did - because I had to. It all went back to a net session before that Test when Graeme Hick overheard something that Edrich said to Illingworth. Hicky ran in and got me caught bat-pad in the net after five balls and Edrich turned to Illingworth and said: "Mate, if that was you bowling, you would have got him out three balls earlier." I was absolutely shattered. These guys shouldn't have been knocking, they should have been there to support the England side.

Could you have done more to conform?
Maybe I have to take a certain amount of blame. I was brought up in the old school and I enjoyed working hard and also playing hard. That's my character. I'd have a couple more beers than everyone else, in the new culture that Illingworth and Fletcher were trying to create. After getting rid of Gower, Lamb, Gatting and Emburey... I think they wanted to get rid of that old culture and usher in a new era.

Do you think you were jettisoned from the England side too soon?
Listen, I'm not remotely bitter. I'm the happiest guy in the world and have a wonderful new life here in Perth. Growing up in South Africa I didn't think I would ever play Test cricket, so every Test I played was an absolute bonus, but I just felt that at the age of 31 or 32 I was at my peak and it was unreasonable not to get another opportunity when other players were averaging in the late 20s.

Allan Lamb and Robin Smith dressed as Mickey and Minnie Mouse, January 1, 1991
"Lamby was a very good manager of people. He understood me and knew that I lacked an enormous amount of self-belief and confidence and he just pumped my tyres up" © Getty Images

Do you think your problems against spin counted against you? Was that reputation justified?
I thought it was a bit unfair. There was talk of me not going to Australia for the 1994-95 series because I couldn't face Shane Warne, but there weren't many people who could face him. If you look at my record against spin bowling - I averaged 45 against Pakistan and they had Mushtaq Ahmed, and I scored hundreds against India and Sri Lanka. I got tagged for not being a great player against spin bowling, but at the end of the day there weren't many players in my era who averaged near to 44 - David Gower was only half a run ahead of me - so if I did that, I must have scored some runs against spin bowling.

When you went back to county cricket, you didn't score the same volume of runs. Was that a frustration?
I always felt I was a better player on the big stage than the daily grind of county cricket. By the selectors' criteria, I wasn't scoring the runs I needed to get that recall, but I just wish they had looked a little deeper into players and realised that scoring volumes of runs in the county game doesn't necessarily mean you have the temperament or fight to succeed at the top level.

It takes a special type of street fighter to score those runs. When I was dropped by England, though, it gave me the chance to captain Hampshire and I put my heart and soul into it, especially during the time the club made the transition from Northlands Road to the Rose Bowl. I approached Rod Bransgrove and asked whether he was interested in owning a cricket club. Had it not been for Rod and with a little influence from me and Brian Ford - who was the Hampshire chairman at the time - then there would be no Hampshire and no Rose Bowl. I love the county, and for someone like Rod to come in and save it shows how special it is.

This article was first published in the August 2010 issue of the Wisden Cricketer. Subscribe here

Posted by   on (September 16, 2010, 19:22 GMT)

As a South African i grew up measuring (being young and not knowing that much about the game yet) an international player by the amount of scorn heaped on him by my friends and media. For Smith there was PLENTY - obviously also because he 'abandoned South Africans' and would be seen by many here as a traitor. (as many in the current Eng set up are seen) For myself i was always worried about Smith when he played against us. He had an Australian grit and fight about him that always intimidated South Africans and as the article very rightly states - His average of 43 is worth an extra 10 in todays batting conditions. If i had to choose someone to bat for my life, it would be someone from that era. A Smith or a Border - batsmen who had faced the best bowlers of many generations on far less friendly pitches. Id take Borders avg of 50 of any of Ponting, Kallis or Tendulkars mid 50's. To Mr Smith - im sorry you didnt have a longer career.

Posted by MartinAmber on (September 14, 2010, 21:04 GMT)

I read this article in the print edition last month. In the England cricket team of the 1990s, only the dropping of Gower for Gatting in 1992 exceeded the treatment of Robin Smith for fathomless, spiteful idiocy. Smith scored the first hundred I saw live at a Test (Trent Bridge, 1989, defiant against an utter caning), and followed that with winter performances against the West Indies that sure as hell put the match-saving efforts of certain modern English middle-order batsmen into context. In 1991 he and Gooch were colossal. That Smith was asked to open in 1995 was bizarre. That Hick (average 31.32) ended up playing more Tests than Smith (43.67) is nothing short of disgraceful. Of all English batsmen I've seen who haven't benefited from soft pitches, lesser attacks and/or too many Tests against Bangladesh, I think only Gower and Thorpe average more. Says a lot. Mind you, we are talking about the selectors who preferred Martin McCague to Angus Fraser...

Posted by   on (September 14, 2010, 15:32 GMT)

Illingworth and Stewart should have been shot. They ruined Smith, Malcom, Lewis (ahem), Hick, Ramprakash.

It's up to management to get the best from the talent available - these (and a few others) were the lost generation of English cricketers. Smith was right up there and should have has a 10-12 year career at the top - not 4 or 5 Illingworth and Stewart wasted so much talent trying to get players to play like they wanted rather than moulding a team out of the best talent available - such a shame.

Posted by demon_bowler on (September 14, 2010, 12:44 GMT)

Ray Illingworth was a fine cricketer and one of the two or three best captains England have ever had. That needs to be said. However, as a coach he was a disaster, alienated from his captain, Atherton, and very poor at man-management and selection. Robin Smith's career was one of the casualties of the Illingworth approach. His career average of 43 is worth at least ten more in today's money, and today's players would be horrified at some of the pitches that were played on in that era, against some of the best fast bowlers of any era. Smith didn't have a weakness against spin; like everyone else, he had a weakness against Shane Warne.

Posted by Kunal-Talgeri on (September 14, 2010, 10:49 GMT)

England didn't deserve a player of Robin Smith's class. If wishes were horses: Smith would have waited for South Africa to be back from the cricket wilderness and played in Kepler Wessels' middle order lineup, circa 1992. :-) He really deserved a good team-management. And Shane Warne was a horror for every Test middle-order in the 1990s. So, it was poor grounds to discard Smith.

Posted by Beertjie on (September 14, 2010, 9:51 GMT)

Yes it is very sad to see such a fine cricketer like Robin Smith treated like he was. Thanks for telling it like it is concerning those clowns Illingworth and Fletcher You made the best of what the "motherland" allowed. All the best, and have a great life in Oz!

Posted by 2.14istherunrate on (September 13, 2010, 23:35 GMT)

Smith was one of the best. He should have played twice the number of Tests. Every time there was a batting collapse after his being dropped, I'd think to myself they would recall him. They never did. Illingworth was mental as a coach, completely out of his depth as a person. Negative critics never do in my opinion. He tried getting rid of Stewart as well-mercifully something gave in that case. But Smith's place went to a succession of preposterous imposters, a revolving door of absurd selections who all failed. What a player!!!

Posted by GHemrajani on (September 13, 2010, 17:38 GMT)

Robin Smith was one of the best players ever to play for England. He was certainly one of my favorites. During the 1990s, England selectors never gave their players any confidence and did the same to several others like Hick, Fraser etc. It's amazing the world knows the talents and skill of Robin but Illingworth and Fletcher never understood.

Posted by waspsting on (September 13, 2010, 17:12 GMT)

I remember Smith's tussles with the great pacemen of the times - the west indies lot and wasim and waqar. He was a courageous player, and a very good one - always looked like he was up for the fight. Its pretty disgraceful that he was thrown out prematurely. Alec Stewart had his troubles against spin - but even so, he was worth his place in the side. And i'm sure it was the same way with Smith.

Posted by VipulPatki on (September 13, 2010, 15:20 GMT)

Boy! He was a terrific batsman to watch. I remember his 167 against Australia. Majestic is the only word that could describe that innings. Didn't know that he was a South African though....

Posted by drdickdixon on (September 13, 2010, 15:07 GMT)

In my "formative years" of getting into cricket in the mid-to-late 80s through to the early 90s, two shots spring to mind: the Gower cover-drive that would bring an "ahhh" and a Robin Smith square-cut that would produce a gasp. A lovely player to watch.

Posted by cricket-vid on (September 13, 2010, 14:29 GMT)

Aussies had a great respect for Robin when we played him. Happy to call the tough old bugger a fellow West Aussie!

Posted by gudolerhum on (September 13, 2010, 13:09 GMT)

This confirms what I suspected, Robin Smith was dumped way too soon. The "tactics" of Illingworth and Fletcher, even to someone observing the results from a great distance, were disgraceful. Together with Gooch who evidently for personal reasons, terminated David Gowers illustrious career way too soon, those two gentlemen damaged the English game immeasurably.

Posted by Vivek.Bhandari on (September 13, 2010, 10:54 GMT)

I could never believe that this man was not considered good against spin...yeah...he had one of the most fierce cover drives...somewhat reminiscent of David Boon...

Posted by vichan on (September 13, 2010, 10:18 GMT)

It's a shame Smith was playing in the 1990s rather than the 2000s. He would have made England's 2000s teams even stronger and tasted more success he did in the 1990s. Although England's 1990s batting line-up, with the talent they ha,- should have produced much better results than they did. By this I mean 1. Atherton, 2. Stewart, 3. Ramprakash, 4. Hick, 5. Smith, 6. Thorpe - a terrific line-up (on paper).

Posted by RAVI_BOPARA on (September 13, 2010, 9:56 GMT)

GREAT PLAYER, SHAME HE COULDNT SERVE ENGLAND FOR A BIT LONGER... HE HAD A GREAT BATTING STANCE WHICH I SHALL ALWAYS REMEMBER HIM FOR!!!

Posted by george204 on (September 13, 2010, 9:15 GMT)

The years 1987-1999 were the dark ages for English Cricket. But of all the ridiculous things that happened during this time, the mishandling of Robin Smith must surely be near the top of the list.

Only England could have taken a player of genuine world class, discarded him after just 8 years at a time when his average was higher than any other player we had.

Happy Birthday Robin!

Posted by HLANGL on (September 13, 2010, 8:42 GMT)

Among his many brave innings, 2 innings would stand out. 167 he made against Austrailia in '93 in a 55 overs game & 170+ made against WIs in '94 in the match where Lara scored his 375. In my opinion, Robin Smith was a far better player to be ommitted such early. Especially given the nature of the fragile middle order England had in 90's, they didn't have a Peterson or a Thrott then, it seemed even more odd. Funny things happen in this world sometimes. Another notable observation is most of England's better attacking batsmen in recent times have all being ones coming from SA; Robin Smith, Allan Lamb, Kevin Peterson, Jonathon Thrott, etc..

Posted by leepop79 on (September 13, 2010, 8:22 GMT)

They said that Judge could not play spinners, however see his record in the 1992-1993 tour of Sri Lanka and his series against ODI series against Pakistan in 1992 in England!! Both of those attacks had quality spinners!!! I have two memories of Robin batting - the first is the 148* in 1991 against West Indies and the second were a couple of 40 odds in 1995 on a brute of a pitch at Edgabaston - no one else got anywhere near!!! If your reading this, happy birthday - you were a hero to many people, myself included!!!

Posted by Nadeem1976 on (September 13, 2010, 6:30 GMT)

In those days of Fast and Feourus fast bowling and emergence of leg spin. Smith was the only player in england in 90s who was considered best and brutal.

I think he was Mathey Hayden of 90's but did not get more chances becuase of english selectors approach.

Smith was really great square cut player ,who can face fastest bowlers on earth with an astonisngly ease and always tried to dominate great fast bowlers.

Like Greame hicks, england never utilized Smith well in 90s becuase that Era was not good for england at all. losing all ashes, losing every where until 2000.

Smith was unlucky player that he joined england in bad era.

What a wonderfull player to watch in his prime.

Posted by Pathiyal on (September 13, 2010, 4:22 GMT)

Congrats and wish Robin a very happy birthday. Although he played international cricket for only 8 years, we really loved watching him, what an attitude. He had terrific timing against fast bowlers and the ground usually seemed to be too small for him! His replies here also carry the same old attitude.

Posted by   on (September 13, 2010, 3:45 GMT)

Being in India, that time there was no cable TV and no telcast of test matches. The one innings of Smith I could remember was the 167 he scored against Australia. That was superb innings.

Posted by   on (September 13, 2010, 3:15 GMT)

Indeed very sad and heartbreaking to see such a fine cricketer like Mr.Robin Smith go down like this :'( He always had a class around him the way in the way he bats. Stylish! I wish you all the best Robin!

FeedbackTop

Automaton, man, inspiration

Twenty years on, Shivnarine Chanderpaul continues to be understated. And that doesn't bother him. What's not to like? By Brydon Coverdale

85 Tests, 70 defeats

Numbers Game: Bangladesh's stats are easily the worst among all teams when they'd played as many Tests

Zulu finds fulfilment in coaching

After limping out of international cricket, Lance Klusener slipped off the radar, but his coaching stint with Dolphins has given them a higher profile and self-belief

Chanderpaul, the coach's nightmare

Modern Masters: He developed a rhythm that worked for him and gave him better balance at the crease

Johnson v McLaren: a tale of two blows

Russell Jackson: The South African allrounder had the misfortune of being in the line of fire twice this year

Champions League T20 still battling for meaning

The thrills are rather low-octane, the skills are a bit lightweight, and the tournament overly India-centric

From Constantine to Chanderpaul

As West Indies play their 500th Test, here's an interactive journey through their Test history

Busy keepers, and Waqar's bowleds

Also, high scores and low averages, most ducks in international cricket, and the 12-year-old Test player

'My kind of bowling style is gone now'

Former New Zealand seamer Gavin Larsen talks about wobbly seam-up bowling, the 1992 World Cup, and his role in the next tournament

The umpire's bowling change

Plays of the day from the CLT20 game between Kolkata Knight Riders and Chennai Super Kings