About
Established1867
Named AfterThe Cardiff Arms Hotel which originally stood on the site
Capacity7000
End NamesNorth Stand, Westgate Street End
Flood LightsNo
Home TeamsGlamorgan
PitchGrass
Current Local Time14:18, Sun Sep 24, 2023
The land for the Arms Park was donated by the Marquess of Bute in 1867 to the cardiff Cricket Club, and it was to become a major centre for Welsh cricket and rugby. The Cardiff Cricket & Rugby Club (as it later became) developed the land and Glamorgan used the venue when they were a Minor County and then after being granted first-class status in 1921 right through to 1966 when the development of the large rugby ground led to the cricket club relocating to Sophia Gardens. It was never the most attractive of venues, hemmed in on four sides and overshadowed by the rugby grandstand. What old-world charm there was largely disappeared in 1934 when the cricket pavilion was demolished to make way for the two-tier grandstand.
Martin WIlliamson