- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRb Ashley12024122611049.79b Ashley2237363059.45b Vintcent617170035.29c Hutchinson b Ashley1222182054.54b Vintcent2024172083.33c Rose-Innes b Vintcent59898111066.29c Hutchinson b Ashley25161750156.25c Tancred b Ashley1436352038.88c Rose-Innes b Ashley011000.00not out1570020.00b Ashley1530020.00Extras12 (b 12)TOTAL292 all out (123.1 Overs, RR: 3.55 per 6 ball)Fall of wickets: 1-54 (George Ulyett), 2-62 (Johnny Briggs), 3-79 (Maurice Read), 4-110 (Frank Hearne), 5-215 (Henry Wood), 6-257 (Monty Bowden), 7-287 (Bobby Abel), 8-287 (Emile McMaster), 9-288 (Basil Grieve), 10-292 (Arnold Fothergill, 123.1 ov)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRlbw b Fothergill12317004.34not out2691914028.57run out1230050.00b Briggs316120018.75b Briggs013000.00b Briggs720141035.00c Abel b Fothergill01410000.00b Briggs41191036.36b Briggs012000.00lbw b Briggs021000.00b Briggs1860012.50Extras4 (b 2, nb 2)TOTAL47 all out (47.1 Overs, RR: 1.49 per 6 ball)Fall of wickets: 1-2 (Albert Rose-Innes), 2-3 (Arthur Ochse), 3-11 (Philip Hutchinson), 4-19 (Owen Dunell), 5-31 (William Milton), 6-32 (Dicky Richards), 7-41 (Charles Vintcent), 8-41 (Fred Smith), 9-41 (Nicolaas Theunissen), 10-47 (Gobo Ashley, 47.1 ov)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRb Briggs321240014.28run out00100-b Briggs3540060.00b Briggs086000.00b Fothergill513161038.46b Briggs4630066.66b Briggs44500100.00b Briggs927240033.33b Briggs1128280039.28not out2370066.66b Briggs011000.00Extras2 (b 2)TOTAL43 all out (f/o) (28.2 Overs, RR: 2.26 per 6 ball)Fall of wickets: 1-1 (Albert Rose-Innes), 2-4 (Arthur Ochse), 3-6 (Philip Hutchinson), 4-12 (Bernard Tancred), 5-16 (Owen Dunell), 6-20 (William Milton), 7-20 (Dicky Richards), 8-37 (Charles Vintcent), 9-43 (Fred Smith), 10-43 (Gobo Ashley, 28.2 ov)
Balls per over
- Mon, 25 Mar - day 1 - South Africa 1st innings 2/1 (AB Tancred 1*)
- Tue, 26 Mar - day 2 - South Africa 2nd innings 43 (28.2 ov) - end of match
- Abel scored the first hundred in first-class cricket in South Africa and Tancred became the first batsman to carry his bat through a completed Test innings.
- Briggs set a new Test record by taking 8 for 11 (all bowled) in the second innings and 15 for 28 in the match.
- Ashley took 7 for 95 in his only Test
- Bowden, aged 23 years 144 days became England's youngest captain three years before dying in Umtali Hospital- a glorified mud hut where his body had to be protected from marauding lions prior to being interred in a coffin made from whiskey cases.
A look back to a Test series where some of those taking part never knew they had become international cricketers