|Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore|
|Toss||Sri Lanka, elected to field first|
|Series||Wills World CupSri Lanka tour of Pakistan|
|Player Of The Match|
|Player Of The Series|
|Series result||Sri Lanka (and Ceylon) won the 1995/96 Wills World Cup|
|Match number||ODI no. 1083|
|Match days||daynight(50-over match)|
- Jayasuriya named player of the tournament after the 2nd semi final.
- MA Taylor and RT Ponting 101, record 2nd wicket partnership in a World Cup final.
- MA Taylor 74, highest score by an Australian captain in any World Cup match.
- SK Warne, 1st player to be stumped in a World Cup final (by RS Kaluwitharana).
- PA de Silva 107*, 3rd ever 100 in a World Cup final. (Previous two: CH Lloyd 102 in 1975, IVA Richards 138* in 1979).
- Sri Lanka least wickets lost (3) in any World Cup final.
- PA de Silva, man of the match for an unbeaten 107, 3 wickets, and 2 catches (most runs, most wickets, and equal most catches in the match).
- Sri Lanka are the 1st host country to win a World Cup, and the 1st country to win a World Cup final batting second.
- Sri Lanka win their 1st World Cup after only winning a total of 4 matches in the previous 5 World Cups.