At Melbourne, December 30, 31, January 1, 3, 4. Drawn. Illness and injury kept Brown and Higgs out of the England side, and they were replaced by Jones and Knight.
Hawke, whom minor injury had kept out of the South Australian side against M.C.C., was omitted from the Australian team, but Simpson had recovered from the broken wrist which kept him out of the first Test.
He and Lawry made 93 stodgily for the first wicket, in two hours twenty-five minutes, but afterwards only a stubborn innings by Cowper which lasted three hours and twenty minutes, seriously held up England's substitute opening bowlers, who were well supported by Allen.
England scored very fast at the start of their innings. Barber and Boycott hit 98 before Boycott, who had the major share of the bowling and was badly missed in the slips in McKenzie's first over, was out in the sixteenth over after seventy-six minutes. Edrich, who batted more than five hours, cemented the fine start during stands of 118 with Barrington and 105 with Cowdrey.
Yet, despite the large total of 558, the most was not made of the inspiring start. Only Cowdrey, who made his third Test century in Melbourne and his fourth against Australia, scored briskly, making his 104 in three and a quarter hours.
On the fourth day seventy minutes were spent adding 42 for the last three wickets. At the close of that day Australia were 131 for one. Simpson, playing much more fluently than in the first innings, made 67 of an opening partnership of 120 in two hours, twenty minutes.
In the first eighty minutes of the final day three more wickets fell for 45, and, if Parks not missed a simple off-side chance of stumping Burge off Barber when he was 34, England would surely have won the match. Burge did not finally yield his wicket until he and Walters had assured their side of a draw. They put on 198 in just over three hours, and both played supremely well.
Burge stayed four and a quarter hours and Walters a little longer. Burge in heavy-handed manner tamed the English attack, while Walters was content to play soundly in his support until the time came for him also to attack. After tea, when no definite result was possible, the last six wickets fell, and England had ten minutes batting before the close.