Bulfin refines action in quest for NZ recall (26 August 1999)
Speedster Carl Bulfin says working at the New Zealand Cricket Academy at Lincoln is helping to get his bowling on track for a possible return to the Black Caps
26-Aug-1999
26 August 1999
Bulfin refines action in quest for NZ recall
Geoff Longley
Speedster Carl Bulfin says working at the New Zealand Cricket
Academy at Lincoln is helping to get his bowling on track for a
possible return to the Black Caps.
Bulfin has come to Christchurch to work at refining his bowling
technique, which it is hoped will reduce the injuries which
troubled him last season.
The Blenheim-based Bulfin was included in the New Zealand team
for the World Cup, but omitted from the party which toured
England.
NZC helped him stay on and play with the Nottinghamshire county
second XI, but he departed after the first match, citing an
unprofessional set-up, comments which prompted a rebuke from NZC
chief executive Chris Doig.
Bulfin believed his remarks were misconstrued and his main
problem was on-going trouble with injury to his left ankle
(landing foot).
He has been working with NZC Academy director Dayle Hadlee and
physiotherapist Graham Nuttridge to minimise the injury risk.
"Things are going pretty good and I'm running to the crease
pretty well now," he said yesterday.
Hadlee said Bulfin had a rather mixed action and had been working
on the angle of his run-up, the direction of his front foot, and
getting the alignment of his body into a straighter position.
"It's a matter of trying to align all the body parts in the right
direction."
Bulfin had started working in England with NZC's technical
adviser Ashley Ross on his bowling technique and was continuing
that with Hadlee.
Bulfin said he would also be working on strengthening the ankle.
He was aware that several of the New Zealand bowlers - Simon
Doull, Geoff Allott, and Chris Cairns - had injury problems to
varying degrees.
"There must be a couple of question marks there and I'd like to
think I'm still in with a chance - but there's a long season
ahead."
Bulfin is more specifically aiming at appearing for adopted
province Wellington in its match against the New Zealand Academy,
scheduled to start on September 28.
He hopes to remain with the Academy group until then and is also
considering playing club cricket in Christchurch for Sydenham
during October before play starts in Welling-ton.
New Zealand selection panel convener Ross Dykes said that Bulfin
will be "considered on merit" when the new selection panel on
Saturday debates the national cricket team to tour India in
October.
"We can't keep holding something over his head and I would hope
we are past things like that," Dykes said.
"He'll be considered like everyone else."
Had Bulfin stayed in England, he would have been a logical
replacement for Doull when he was invalided out of the tour
before the third test.
Instead, Central Districts paceman Andrew Penn was plucked from
league cricket in London and took eight wickets and scored 69 not
out in his only first-class appearance.
Source :: The Christchurch Press (https://www.press.co.nz/)