Deitz's leading hand rescues South Australia

Shane Deitz provided the highlight for South Australia's 2nd XI

David Bebb
Shane Deitz provided the highlight for South Australia's 2nd XI and in the process helped his side recover to be 294/5 at the end of the first day of their ACB cup clash with Western Australia's 2nd XI at Tompkins Park in Perth yesterday.
Western Australia won the toss and, on a cold damp blustery morning at Melville Cricket club's home ground Tompkins Park, asked South Australia to bat first.
Jack Smith and Daniel Harris opened to the attack of Michael Clark and Stuart Karppinen
In the fourth over Smith was dropped by second slip Adam Voges off Karppinen without scoring. Four overs later he was caught at point by Brett Jones off Karppinen for two (26 balls) to leave South Australia 12/1.
After only a brief but successful spell, Karppinen was replaced at the River end by Callum Thorp who carried on through to the drinks break. However, just before that break, Voges (who was still in second slip) earned the ire of the change bowler Thorp when he dropped his second catch of the day - this time off Ben Higgins when that batsman was on eight. Voges was soon banished to the outfield.
When the first session drinks break was taken after 14 overs had been bowled, Harris had scored three (46) and Higgins fourteen (21) and the South Australian score was 1/30.
Andrew James replaced Clark at the Canning Road end. The former Canberran quick spraying the ball either side of the wicket in his first over with six runs being taken off it.
James' next over had a double breakthrough. Playing well away from his body outside off, Higgins was unlucky to have played the ball off the inside edge and into the stumps behind him after scoring 27 runs (38). Two balls later Mark Cosgrove was out edging to the 'keeper Ronchi without scoring and from the last ball of the over. James followed this up with a sharp maiden over.
James was replaced by Beau Casson who bowled two economical overs before the lunch break, and lunch was taken with the weather improving and South Australia steady at 3/75 after 28 overs.
Wes Thomas 15 (47) was caught in the 34th over when he edged to the 'keeper Luke Ronchi from the bowling of Michael Thistle (bowling from the River end). South Australia were 4/85. By drinks in the middle session, Daniel Harris (38) and Deitz (15) had moved the score to 114.
Deitz pulled at a short ball from James sending it high and deep over fine leg where it fell dangerously close to a river. The six took his score along to 36.
Before tea, Thorp replaced Karppinen at the River end and then Casson replaced James at the Canning Road end. Tea came and the ground was again dark and gloomy with the score on 4/167 with Harris 60 and Deitz 41 after 57 overs.
Harris was on 60 (172) when he fell as he pushed out to a ball from Thorp and nicked it through to the 'keeper Ronchi when the score was 168.
Michael Thistle came in for some punishment after he replaced Thorp at the River end with 26 runs being taken off six overs in his final spell.
James replaced Casson as WA took the new ball after 80 overs and the score on 5/242. His first two overs of this spell were maidens keeping Ferguson quiet. With Deitz on strike for the next two overs he conceded nine runs.
The cloud cover had returned when Deitz brought up his century turning the ball from James into the leg-side and coming back for the second. The South Australians were right onto that fact and gave him a goodly round of appreciation from their positions under the club house eaves. The Western Australian supporters too were equally generous. In three and a half hours of batting Deitz entertained with shots to all parts of the ground with measured aggression at times and respect at other times.
At stumps, with picturesque shafts of light bursting through the clouds low on the horizon, South Australia had taken their score along to 294/5 wickets. Deitz was the story of the day, his unbeaten knock of 114 (197) was chanceless. Harris gave a chance which wasn't taken and went on to make 60 before becoming Thorp's only scalp. Ferguson 48 (117) also remained unbeaten at day's end, a stalwart ally for Deitz in the unbroken sixth wicket stand of 126.
For Western Australia there can be only a measure of disappointment at the end of this day after chances went begging, allowing the batsmen to take full advantage. Double wicket-taker James was wayward and expensive. Thistle and Karppinen probably could have done more. Callum Thorp was impressively disciplined but largely went unrewarded for his efforts and Casson and Clark both bowled courageously but without any luck.
This game will continue for the next three days with the weather outlook becoming fine. The facilities at the Melville CC's ground are fantastic.