News

Dominica pulls out of hosting T20 World Cup matches

The Dominica government took the decision stating the country's inability to complete work on venues before the tournament commences

Windsor Park has hosted six Men's Tests, four Men's ODIs and four Men's T20Is  •  Walton

Windsor Park has hosted six Men's Tests, four Men's ODIs and four Men's T20Is  •  Walton

Dominica will not host any matches during the 2024 Men's T20 World Cup. The government of Dominica took the decision stating the country's inability to complete work on practice and match venues before the tournament commences.
Dominica was one of seven countries in the Caribbean shortlisted to host the T20 World Cup, which will be co-hosted by the West Indies and the USA from June 4 to 30 next year. This list was determined by the ICC in coordination with CWI based on the bids from local governments. It is understood that all major cricketing destinations across the West Indies submitted bids, barring three countries: Jamaica, Grenada and St Kitts & Nevis.
According to the Dominica government's statement, Windsor Park had been shortlisted to host one group match and two Super 8 games, subject to the venue meeting obligations set out in a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).
"Several tangible actions were taken both at the Windsor Park Sports Stadium and at the Benjamin's Park including the commencement of upgrading and enhancement of the practice and match venues, various assessments and the creation of additional pitches where necessary," the Dominica government's statement read.
"However, the implementation timelines submitted by the various contractors revealed that it would not be possible to complete these works within the stipulated timeframe before the commencement of the tournament. As a result, a decision was taken not to host any of the matches in the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2024 as it would not be prudent for the Government of Dominica to commit to hosting these games.
"In light of Dominica's sterling reputation in hosting international cricket, this decision is considered to be in the best interest of all. The Government of Dominica thanks Cricket West Indies (CWI) for its partnership over the years and looks forward to continued collaboration in the future. The Government of Dominica extends best wishes to the organisers for a successful tournament in June 2024."
Johnny Grave, CWI chief executive, said that the board understood Dominica's reasons for withdrawing from the process. In a press release, CWI added that it was working with the ICC to confirm the T20 World Cup schedule and that an announcement was "expected imminently".
"We acknowledge the dedication of the Government of Dominica in preparing to host matches as a part of the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2024," Grave said. While recognising their commitment, we note the reasons stated for the decision that has been made and understand the position. We look forward to continuing to work with the Government of Dominica and the Dominica Cricket Association to host international matches in the future."
Fawwaz Baksh, tournament director for the 2024 T20 World Cup added: "When hosting tournaments of this scale, it is inevitable that circumstances will arise which will require the organisers to adapt and alter plans. This is something that happens in any event of this nature, and why we have contingency plans for all functional areas for the hosting of the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2024."