Played at Durban, February 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22. England won by 109 runs. The fifth Test match, which gave the Englishmen the rubber, has already become historical, by reason of Russell getting two hundreds, and rivalling Bardsley's feat for Australia against England at the Oval in 1909. Russell's performance was the more remarkable, as he had to battle against illness; when he started his second innings he ought to have been in bed rather than on the cricket field. As the rubber depended on the result, it had been arranged to play the match out, no matter how long it lasted, the M.C.C's approval being obtained by cable, and, as things turned out, the extra time was very much needed. In the end the Englishmen won by 109 runs. On the first day they were batting all the afternoon, and scored 261 for eight wickets, Russell, not out 136, playing splendid cricket of a defensive kind for five hours and a quarter. Except from Mead, he did not get much assistance, the third wicket added 139 runs. Russell was out to an easy catch at mid-on at 268. He hit only eleven 4's most of them on-drives.

A total of 281 did not seem any too good, but it looked excellent later in the day, when South Africa were out for 179. Russell got rid of Taylor by means of a splendid catch at second slip, and from the downfall of their captain, with the score at seven, South Africa never recovered. Nourse and Francois, however, played very pluckily. The Englishmen had to go in for five minutes, and Mann wisely altered the order. Heavy rain fell during Sunday night, and on Monday morning the out-field was very dead. In fifty minutes the Englishmen had three wickets down for 14, and the fourth fell at 26. At this point, Russell joined Sandham, and the score was carried to 102. Sandham, who left at this total, had some luck, but he kept up his wicket for two hours and twenty minutes. After he left Russell could get little help, and with nine wickets down for 149 the innings seemed almost as good as over. However, Arthur Gilligan played up with great resolution, and at the call of time the score had reached 201. Russell was not out 90 and Gilligan not out 20. The two batsmen continued their excellent work on the fourth day and, in all, put on 92 runs for the last wicket in eighty minutes.

In getting his second hundred, Russell was batting nearly four hours and a half. During all that time, he was scarcely more than once at fault. A collection made on his behalf during the afternoon produced £90. Left to get 344, the South Africans had, by steady batting, scored 111 for three wickets when bad light stopped play at half-past four. About fifty minutes later, as the conditions did not improve, stumps were pulled up. On the fifth day, play was a good deal curtailed by rain. In the time available, three more wickets fell, and the score was taken to 203, Taylor being not out 76. On the last morning, South Africa's chance was very remote, and the end soon came. Taylor, out ninth wicket down, made a great effort for his side. He was batting for over four hours and a half, his only mistake being a chance when he had made 83.