At Kingston, April 28, 29, 30, May 2, 3. West Indies won by seven wickets. Toss: West Indies. India could claim some credit for restricting West Indies to a first-innings lead of 95, but thereafter the disparity between the two sides was as large as ever. West Indies had felt no need to make changes; India had brought back Azharuddin, although still unfit, and included the young uncapped off-spinner, Venkataramana, in place of Raman and Hirwani.

West Indies put India in but did not get the returns they may have anticipated. Only Arun Lal was dismissed before lunch - clearly displeased at being given out caught at first slip - and at the close India were 226 for four. This included 116 from Sidhu, who had retired hurt half an hour before following a blow on the hand, having earlier suffered from cramp in the legs. Batting securely despite obvious flaws in technique, he reached his century in 324 minutes, off 216 balls, and hit eight fours. Shastri, having taken pains over establishing himself, sliced a drive at a widish half-volley, while Bishop's mastery over Vengsarkar was quickly made manifest. Azharuddin met the end his cavalier batting invited. Manjrekar, however, played competently to survive the day, but neither he nor Sidhu, who resumed next day with a runner, could effect further repairs, and the remaining six wickets fell for the addition of 63 to the overnight score. Four were claimed by Walsh, whose six for 62 was the best return of his Test career.

Kapil Dev removed Greenidge and Haynes in a fine opening spell, and when at 86 Arthurton holed out at cover, the match looked wide open. Instead the balance was swung West Indies' way by a partnership of 235 between Richardson and Richards, who remained together until an hour after lunch on the third day. For the most part, Richardson, who made 156 in 483 minutes off 321 balls, hitting twenty fours, was the dominant partner. Richards, who took 304 minutes for his 110, scored off 178 balls with a six and twelve fours, remained in the background. He made only 24 in his first two hours, but after passing 50 he blossomed, scoring the last 22 runs to his century in 35 minutes. Richards's reaction when given out caught behind by umpire Archer was to remonstrate with wicket-keeper More. The crowd, which had thrilled to his first Test century at Sabina Park, caught his thunderous mood and expressed it with a shower of bottles. Police could not control the chaos. Dujon and Walsh, local heroes both, pleaded in vain for peace, and it was only when Richards himself went to the front of the turbulent stand and appealed for calm that order was restored. Richards was subsequently fined $250 by the West Indies Board, who suspended the fine for twelve months, taking into account the mitigating circumstances of provocation by a member of the opposing team.

The incident adversely affected Richardson's concentration, and also the application of the following batsmen. Kapil Dev, bowling magnificently with the second new ball, exploited their frame of mind to seize three wickets in eight balls. West Indies slumped to 344 for seven, and if the innings produced another 40 runs, it was because Kapil Dev had turned his ankle and limped off the field shortly after taking his sixth wicket. By the end of the day, which was stretched out to seven hours without the full allotment of overs being completed, India were already lurching towards defeat. On the fourth day, Bishop and Walsh remorselessly dismantled their innings. Only the obduracy of Arun Lal in the morning, a 104-minutes innings of 41 by Manjrekar, and the loss of two and a quarter hours to rain took the match into the final day.

Man of the Match: C. A. Walsh.

Close of play: First day, India 226-4 (S. V. Manjrekar 24*, K. S. More 3*); Second day, West Indies 170-3 (R. B. Richardson 85*, I. V. A. Richards 28*); Third day, India 32-2 (Arun Lal 17*, S. V. Manjrekar 14*); Fourth day, West Indies 31-1 (D. L. Haynes 17*).