Match reports

West Indies v Pakistan

At Bourda, Georgetown, March 18, 19, 20, 22, 23

At Bourda, Georgetown, March 18, 19, 20, 22, 23. Drawn. After batting poorly in their first innings and trailing by 254 runs, Pakistan fought back to earn a draw through some of the best batting of the series.
The West Indies made one change to their team which won the second Test, Julien replacing the spinner, Jumadeen. Pakistan also omitted spin bowlers, Intikhab and Qasim giving way to Zaheer (now fit) and Sarfraz.
Lloyd won the toss and sent his opponents in, a bold gamble on a pitch with a well-established reputation for favouring batsmen. He himself was forced to leave the field with a badly torn hamstring muscle after twenty minutes, but he watched as his bowlers vindicated his decision.
Aided by some irresponsible batting, the four West Indies fast bowlers dismissed Pakistan just after tea on the first day, only Imran, Mushtaq and Haroon scoring more than 30. Mushtaq batted just over two hours for his highest score of the series to date but he never settled.
The West Indies soon lost Fredericks to a catch at slip and, with Richards going early on the second morning and Lloyd severely handicapped by his injury, they approached their task slowly and deliberately. In the two hours between lunch and tea on the second day, Greenidge, Kallicharran and Shillingford scored a mere 54 off 34 overs.
Quite apart from the slow cricket, the second day was marred by unsavoury incidents both on and off the field, culminating in bottle throwing by the crowd which interrupted play for twenty minutes after Kallicharran had responded petulantly to an lbw decision against him. Earlier, there had been other displays of ill temper by players from both sides.
Greenidge's 91 occupied an uncharacteristic four and a half hours and Kallicharran's 72 four hours twenty minutes. On the third morning, however, Shillingford began with a confident attack against the second new ball and, with Murray, consolidated the West Indies advantage with a sixth wicket partnership of 123.
Shillingford, for many years on the verge of Test selection, passed his century in only his third Test innings and was ninth out for 120, a chanceless, disciplined performance which lasted five and three-quarter hours and included one 6 and fifteen 4's.
Pakistan were left with the prospect of batting to save the match with over two days remaining. Majid and Sadiq approached the task positively and confidently, scoring 60 before the latter was struck on the jaw as he attempted to hook Roberts.
Zaheer took his place and, with Majid, displayed an array of glorious strokes all round the wicket. On an ideal pitch and fast outfield, they put on 159 in two and a half hours before Zaheer was caught at cover.
Majid went on to score 167. Then Greenidge, who had dropped him at 74 off Roberts, caught him off the same bowler at second slip. His six hours at the crease included twenty-five 4's and virtually assured Pakistan of safety.
Even though there was occasions on the final day when the West Indies threatened to break through for a late victory, Pakistan managed to thwart them and the final stages were notable only for Greenidge's second 90 of the match.