West Indies in England 2012

England rest Broad, Bresnan and Swann

ESPNcricinfo staff

June 19, 2012

Stuart Meaker claimed Ajinkya Rahane as his first international wicket, India v England, 4th ODI, Mumbai, October 23, 2011
Stuart Meaker is one of three players drafted into the England squad © Getty Images

Having wrapped up the one-day series against West Indies with victory at The Oval, England have taken the opportunity to rest Stuart Broad, Tim Bresnan and Graeme Swann from the final match at Headingley on Friday.

Stuart Meaker, the Surrey fast bowler, Warwickshire allrounder Chris Woakes and Kent offspinner James Tredwell have been added into the squad. Woakes had already been drafted in as cover after Jade Dernbach was given compassionate leave following the death of Tom Maynard on Monday but Dernbach remains in the squad for the final ODI.

Broad, who is the Twenty20 captain, was also rested for the final Test against West Indies at Edgbaston but for Bresnan and Swann, both part of the Twenty20 squad, it is the first England match of the season they will miss. Since the retirement from one-day cricket of Kevin Pietersen this trio are the only first-choice selections in all three formats.

The players called into the squad all have previous ODI experience with Meaker making his debut against India last October and playing two matches in the series. Woakes, who was originally on that tour before pulling out injured, has played four matches which include taking 6 for 45 against Australia at Brisbane, the second-best figures for England in ODIs.

Tredwell, meanwhile, was the reserve spinner in the Test squad for the tour of Sri Lanka earlier this year and last appeared in a one-day international in the World Cup quarter-final against Sri Lanka in Colombo. In the game before that, against West Indies, he took a match-winning 4 for 48 to keep England alive in the tournament.

Geoff Miller, the national selector, said: "The fact that we have already won the NatWest series means we are able to take the opportunity to rest three players ahead of next week's series against Australia and take a closer look at players who are likely to feature in our limited overs planning going forward."

England played the same side in both the first two matches, winning by 114 runs at West End and eight wickets at The Oval, meaning Dernbach, Samit Patel and Jonny Bairstow from the original squad have yet to feature.

Revised squad Alastair Cook (capt), Ian Bell, Jonathan Trott, Ravi Bopara, Eoin Morgan, Craig Kieswetter, Jonny Bairstow, Samit Patel, Chris Woakes, James Tredwell, James Anderson, Steven Finn, Jade Dernbach, Stuart Meaker

Posted by JG2704 on (June 22, 2012, 15:10 GMT)

A_Yorkshire_Lad /RandyOz - Obviously when KP left SA he cut all ties with everyone in the country inc his father and he now has no friends whatsoever in SA - so he couldn't possibly have returned to see his family and friends could he?

Posted by A_Yorkshire_Lad on (June 22, 2012, 9:10 GMT)

@Randyoz -Well , KP is of dual parentage , his dad is South African his mum is English and as such he qualifies to play for England - or so I understand. From what I remember , KP was more disillusioned with what he perceived to be the South African ' ethnic quota ' selection policy - so he chose to play for England. To state that he wasn't 'good enough' or to imply that he wasn't an exciting prospect for SA at that time iis ridiculous as is your questioning his committment to England - I was at the (tied) Eng/SA ODI in Bloemfontein in early 2005 when he scored 108 from 96 balls in front of an extremely hostile Free State crowd - he was booed on and off the pitch , if i remember. He was England captain for a while after all ! To put it another way , if Usmar Khamaja were to slink off to Pakistan (or the UAE or wherever) to watch and presumably support Pakistan , would you say that would be disgraceful ?

Posted by whatawicket on (June 21, 2012, 14:38 GMT)

randy u used dernbach and kieswetter in previous postings at the turn of the year. go look at see if you can finds others than those 2, it made for a flat storyline. not up to your normal tat.

Posted by RandyOZ on (June 21, 2012, 14:00 GMT)

@A_Yorkshire_Lad - good question. I have no issue with him going to watch the rugby. The thing that would bother me, if I was English, is why was he supporting South Africa? Is this guy English or South African? It really puts into question his credibility when putting on the English whites, and confirms what everyone outside England already knows; he plays for England simply for money because he wasn't good enough to get into the South African setup. To think any other way is dellusional. Do you support another Soccer team? Italy? I highly doubt it.

Posted by   on (June 21, 2012, 12:36 GMT)

Suddenly an embarrassment of riches for English Cricket…

Posted by A_Yorkshire_Lad on (June 21, 2012, 12:19 GMT)

@ Randyoz - good to see you posting loads about your favourite team ( even though you seem to have put the same comments under different features but never mind , eh ? ) but after sifting through the usual extremely tired and predictable sling-shots and over-exaggerations , I do have a serious question : why exactly is it "disgraceful" for KP to attend a South African rugby match ?? If he's not in the ODI squad , he can do what he likes , go where he wants surely? PS I don't live in Australia

Posted by JG2704 on (June 21, 2012, 10:21 GMT)

@CS - I'm guessing you were responding to me even though you put Land down on your comms as your comms have nothing to do with what Landsite put. IMO people who go to the ground are different to TV subscribers etc because they are buying a ticket for a one off event rather than buying a package of which the event is only a very small part. If I can make an analogy , I'm a boxing fan and until recently Sky would show events both as part of the subscription and an extra PPV. If a fight is bad on regular Sky , It's disappointing but if I pay the extra for PPV and the fight is bad I feel more aggrieved even if it was the boxer's fault rather than Sky's. I felt particularly sorry for all those who travelled to watch Haye lay an egg vs Wlad

Posted by RandyOZ on (June 21, 2012, 10:13 GMT)

There is absolutely no reason the ECB should be loyal to their fans, when the fans or players aren't even loyal to England. KP went to watch SA play rugby in SA during an ODI, which is disgraceful, and the fans are no different, half of the posters here live in Australia.

Posted by JG2704 on (June 21, 2012, 10:12 GMT)

@YorkshirePudding on (June 21 2012, 07:49 AM GMT) Fair enough. I don't think YorkshireMatt was going overboard about it though , I think he was just disappointed that all 3 players were rested for this match rather than spread out. Don't get me wrong , I'm all for the resting/rotation as it is used in football but can also understand why a fan would feel disappointed that those players were pulled from the game he payed to see , even if (as I'm sure he does) understands the reasoning behind it

Posted by RandyOZ on (June 21, 2012, 9:58 GMT)

The so-called 'new wave' of South Africans on the English cricket team (meaker, kieswetter, compton, dernbach to name a few) should be getting a game. These guys will be the next set of players who will perform for England, because lets face it actual English talent is non-existent. Get used to it English fans.

Posted by YorkshirePudding on (June 21, 2012, 7:49 GMT)

@JG2704, maybe the plan was for Dernbach to play at the Oval, but with the circumstances of Tom Maynards untimely death, I doubt he would have been up for the game. I can see that point of view but you risk a lot by doing that when a series isnt secure, and I can see the same thing (barring injuries) happening again in the Australia series if we take an unassailable lead (unlikely as it is), but I do feel downbeat when I hear people going on about only going to watch one or two players as though they are the only ones on the pitch or that mattered, and everyone else that wears an england shirt is a shadow and largely irrelavent....Those thar scream about this would soon be moaning come 2015 when Anderson/Broad/Finn is struggling with a muscle strain and theres no one with experience to fill the hole, it will be 'why didnt we give someone some experience, typical ECB not thinking ahead'

Posted by JG2704 on (June 20, 2012, 21:26 GMT)

@YorkshirePudding on (June 20 2012, 18:27 PM GMT) - Ok , can see it from both points of view. I do however still think it would have been good if they maybe rested Anderson for the 1st ODI , Bres from the 2nd and Swann the 3rd. Just feel that it would also have been good for Bres to play on his home ground and Meaker or Dernbach playing at the Oval.

Posted by CricketingStargazer on (June 20, 2012, 19:56 GMT)

Land, yes, I do realise that. However, many people also pay to watch on Sky, watch on the Internet, etc. (or, in my case, Internet radio) Are people being shortchanged if they go to the ground, but not when they pay to see it on TV? Why this focus on the people paying to enter the ground? I was genuinely pleased that Steve Finn got a chance in the 3rd Test because we are going to need him sooner or later and I want him ready to step in. Graeme Onions the same. It adds to squad depth. In this ODI I am delighted that Chris Woakes is getting a game: he is seriously underrated. It's all about squad depth and building it up. England are putting out a decent side and, as a fan, I would pay to see it, in part because I want to see whether or not some of these players can cut it but, mainly, whoever is picked, it is England playing.

Posted by 2.14istherunrate on (June 20, 2012, 19:51 GMT)

I can't think that Eng won't win with this attack which is the main deal. It's hard to think where WI can get the will to win from. End of tour and really they just want to back in the warmth. Don't blame them.Our climate is pure filth these days.

Posted by Bramblefly on (June 20, 2012, 18:55 GMT)

@ Rozzer 14.27pm GMT 20th June. You really don't understand fast bowling do you? The object isn't necessarily to knock the batsman's head off but to induce a false stroke through a combination of line, length, swing, seam and pace. Note that pace is only one of those five. Maybe you weren't watching Tino Best yesterday. He consistently broke the fabled 140 kph but rarely threatened. Re rotation, I wouldn't feel short changed if I had a ticket for Headingley. At least two of the three repalcements are future stars who will benefit from game time. Think I'd include Briggs rather than Tredwell though. Given England's summer schedule, I think rotation is unavoidable.

Posted by YorkshirePudding on (June 20, 2012, 18:27 GMT)

@JG2704, I was just making the point that if you are paying that sort of money (I myself have just lashed out £280 for tickets to the 1st test at the oval), you arnt going to see individual players, you're going to see the team play a game (and hopefully win), so it makes little differnce in regards to who the players are. teams in this day and age are very flexible, they have to be with the amount of cricket they play, Swann for example hasnt been rested for the best part of 4 years. the chances are had it been 1-1 no-one would have got rested, but it isnt so its a chance to give some of the younger bowlers a chance to show what they've got to offer and gain experience in time for 2015.

Posted by JG2704 on (June 20, 2012, 17:42 GMT)

@whatawicket on (June 20 2012, 16:25 PM GMT) We'll probably get some on here saying that the rain saved us from a thrashing. I sometimes get the idea that some of these people think that the British love the damp weather

Posted by JG2704 on (June 20, 2012, 17:39 GMT)

@TheHoneymonster on (June 20 2012, 15:47 PM GMT) - Mate - be as brutal as you like. I know Bres started off well in this format (or was it T20) but I'm guessing he has got worse. I know he often manages to dry up the runs in tests but I'm guessing being economical in one format does not = being economical in another. I guess they like his batting. Anyway my main point was that I thought Eng could have rested one player per game and have Meaker or Dernbach and Bresnan both playing at their home grounds. Woakes actually bowled quite tidily at Taunton in the T20 last week. I'm certainly all for giving him a go

Posted by   on (June 20, 2012, 17:07 GMT)

Thank God.........................Finally Woakes got a chance.He is better than Finn

Posted by hhillbumper on (June 20, 2012, 17:04 GMT)

woakes is a good call.Would have preferred Briggs for the experience. Broad could do with some more bowling but since he has cutr down his pace he has got far more wickets so what do you want,quick and ineffective or slowed down and take wickets. At least we know he can still turn on the pace if he needs it

Posted by whatawicket on (June 20, 2012, 16:25 GMT)

mind looking at the fridays forecast it has a 90% chance of full days rain. added to that 100% on the thursday time for brollies i guess.

Posted by Newbury_1 on (June 20, 2012, 15:49 GMT)

@juliegould......Eng didn't need to score quickly to beat a mediocre WI score, you can only beat what is put in front of you. As for KP i hope there are no negotiations going on as we dont need him....

Posted by SDHM on (June 20, 2012, 15:47 GMT)

JG - if I'm being brutally honest, I don't think we should be discussing whether to rest Bresnan; I think we should be discussing about whether to drop him from the ODI side. His stats are mediocre at best, after a fairly decent amount of games. He goes at about 5 and a half runs an over for 36 runs per wicket without Dernbach's excuse of exclusively bowling either in the Powerplays or at the death, and he isn't a good enough batsman to make up for it with weight of runs. Woakes is a better batsman and although his List A bowling stats compared to his Championship ones aren't great (that's an argument for another time though - youngsters being chucked into the limited overs teams based on their Championship performances!) you wouldn't lose anything in the bowling either. On another Yorkshire cricketer, I think Bairstow not playing in this series has shown Flower's hand - I expect Ravi will be back in for the SA series.

Posted by Domzo on (June 20, 2012, 15:37 GMT)

@ Julie Gould - Alister Cook's last 24 ODI match stats: averaging 54.13 with four centuries (three in his last six ODI innings), eight half-centuries and a strike-rate of 91.47 actually compare pretty favourably to Kevin Pieterson's. Cook isn't a flashy six hitter but he's turned himself into a very useful one day player since obtaining the captaincy, someone who can anchor an innings or attack. Losing Pieterson is a massive shame but it isn't the be-all and end-all. Cook did seem to take rather a liking to Australian bowling in Australia...

Posted by JG2704 on (June 20, 2012, 15:23 GMT)

@Julie Gould on (June 20 2012, 12:19 PM GMT) Cook (93+) scored at a similar SR to Bravo and a better SR than anyone in the WI side bar Gayle and Bell (82+) scored at a better rate than anyone in WI side besides Gayle and Bravo. If you look at alot of the best OD batsmen around , there will be very very few with a career SR above 93 and not too many with a SR above 82. If (and it's a big IF) these players score big runs at these SRs vs Aus then I'd say we're in with a good shout. Having said that , I do still have my reservations on being able to chase down a 270+ total with these guys but time will tell

Posted by JG2704 on (June 20, 2012, 15:14 GMT)

@CricketingStargazer on (June 20 2012, 12:08 PM GMT) - I think YM was saying he felt shortchanged as he had personally bought £40 tickets for the match. I can't imagine he'd have bought tickets for the tour of Bangladesh etc etc. Probably a different thing if you've actually bought tickets @YorkshirePudding on (June 20 2012, 12:40 PM GMT) I don't think YM is going OTT about it - I just think when he's paid £40 he's naturally going to be disappointed that some of these name players aren't there esp as they could have split the resting between all 3 ODIs - 1 player each rather than all 3 for the Headingly game. As I said before , surely it would have been good to have Meaker playing at the oval and Bres at Headingly

Posted by Nutcutlet on (June 20, 2012, 14:55 GMT)

This is the legacy (a word belonging to 2012 if ever there was!) of a dead rubber: an opportunity to give some of the second string an outing. All three are very likely to feature in ODI sides in the near future when injury &/or loss of form take toll of the current crop of first picks . OK, we understand that. That said, it is apparent to many here that Broad is in need of match practice: I concur. I don't really see the sense in resting him when rest is pretty much all he's had recently (unless there is something that cricket-followers haven't been told about). And as for ticket pricing, it's too high even when a series is undecided; it's high time that the ECB realised that there is a law of diminishing returns operating here. There needs to be a radical rethink over pricing policy. It is better to have a full ground & less expensive tickets than a 1/4 full ground effectively reserved for the well-off members of society. Cricket must not become elitist; it is in danger of so doing.

Posted by landsite on (June 20, 2012, 14:35 GMT)

The English Summer have put paid to exciting OD cricket but the English knows how to win on their wickets in their so called Summers,a better Summer and England would not have beaten WI.I'll bet if the Summer was hot Narine would have been a threat but again the pitches were soft and unresponsive to his potential threat.Narine would do a better job where its hot and not cold like Winter,the Saffies and Aussies will beat England in ODs,tests and 20/20s.

Posted by RandyOZ on (June 20, 2012, 14:27 GMT)

I don't understand how these bowlers need rest when none of them can get over 140kmph.

Posted by Narkovian on (June 20, 2012, 13:06 GMT)

I agree with yorkshirematt. Its an insult to the paying public. Just 'cos you've won a series you turn out with the 2nd XI. Not to mention an insult to WI as well. Poor little overworked players can't stand the pace .. what pace ? The players are not overworked. Count the overs they have ( or not) bowled this season !! However , it all goes back to one thing... Too much International Cricket. Not too much cricket. Too much pointless INTL cricket. SOOooo tedious.. N

Posted by YorkshirePudding on (June 20, 2012, 12:40 GMT)

@yorkshirematt, well silly me, I thought you paid to watch people in england shirts play, rather than specific players, surely you support the team who ever is playing? How would you react if Broad, Swann and Bresnan were all injured would you be throwing the same paddy? In the end it comes down to 2015, would you be happy for a player with NO or very limited ODI experience to be picked for the WC squad if one of the main players goes down injured or would you rather have players that have got more than 20-30 caps replacing them?

Posted by   on (June 20, 2012, 12:19 GMT)

After watching second ODI It doesn't really matter who they leave out of the 3rd match , after Gayle was given out the game was not worth watching. Boring is the word that comes to mind. Cooke, Bell and Trott do not score fast enough to play against a team like Australia and win. A bit more thinking and mediating between the ECB and KP is required if we are to put up any sort of fight.

Posted by TimelessTests on (June 20, 2012, 12:19 GMT)

It will be good to take a longer look at Woakes & co but I am having difficulty buying into the idea that a young man in his twenties needs resting - either now or for the near future - after bowling less than 20 overs in the last couple of weeks. These chaps are on central contracts, play next to no county cricket and have plenty of time to recuperate from any exertions between matches without needing more time off. The best work out for bowling is to bowl and the number of overs bowled by players these days is tiny compared to the greats of yesteryear despite all the physios, energy drinks, ice baths, etc. Is Maggie milksnatcher's legacy really that we have a generation of fragile stick men who are in danger of snapping as soon as you look at them? At least be honest and say that you want to look at new talent rather than this codswallop about resting.

Posted by CricketingStargazer on (June 20, 2012, 12:18 GMT)

Ps: yorkshirematt, I am not kidding. On that tour there were several Yorkshire and other fixtures against the Australians in which Fred Trueman would normally have played, despite being on National Service. However, it was stated that "questions would be asked in Parliament" if he were given leave from his duties as an RAF Storesman to play. Possibily the ECB think that some MP may also take a dim view of the workload of Stuart Broad, Tim Bresnan and Graeme Swann?? :-)

Posted by CricketingStargazer on (June 20, 2012, 12:08 GMT)

@Yorkshirematt, I can understand where you are coming from but, did you feel shortchanged when Andrew Strauss was rested for the tour of Bangladesh, as Andrew Flintoff and various others had been on the previous tour? How about when India rested various key players for their 2011 tour of the Caribbean? And when Manchester United rest 2 or 3 players at the end of the season when the title and European qualification is settled? How about when a county puts out a 2nd XI against a touring side as Middlesex did against the West Indies? Or when Fred Trueman was not given leave while on National Service in 1953 to play any fixture against the Australians until he finally got a Test call-up? What about in 1930 when England played simultaneous Tests in two continents and STILL left many of their best players at home? It's not as if England are fielding a bunch of county 2nd XI players! Meaker, Woakes & Tredwell all have Test and/or ODI caps.

Posted by   on (June 20, 2012, 11:59 GMT)

Tredwell! would have prefered Briggs...

Posted by JG2704 on (June 20, 2012, 11:53 GMT)

@yorkshirematt on (June 20 2012, 10:59 AM GMT) Mate , I can sympathise with you. On the last test - which was 2 days anyway - Finn and Onions came in for Broad and Jimmy and I actually don't think your losing that much quality.If you took the score at 170 odd - 7 , you'd have expected Eng to bowl out WI for way less than 250 and the Tino/Ramdin partnership was a one off. Where I think Eng missed a trick was that they could have rested one of these 3 (Bresnan) for the 2nd ODI and had Meaker playing that one and Bres playing the 3rd ODI. That at least would have meant that a Surrey player played in the Oval match and a Yorkshire player played at Headingly

Posted by JG2704 on (June 20, 2012, 11:44 GMT)

@Meety on (June 20 2012, 02:34 AM GMT) Hello. I think Monty has improved as a bowler in the shorter forms but I guess his fielding does come into the selection process. Maybe someone like Briggs or Borthwick would have been better. I also think I'd have rested Trott. He's not in such purring form that you want to keep him going and the guy plays long inns which must take it's toll. Also if they are going to persist with Bairstow at 6 vs SA it would make sense for him to get some more Eng games even if it is a different fmt. Personally I'd still go with 5 men bowling attack , failing that Compton but I think they'll go with Bopara.

Posted by JG2704 on (June 20, 2012, 11:34 GMT)

Wow - 22 comments so far and not one silly overseas poster. Well I know Meety is Oz but I reckon he has qualified for England by now. Seriously I can totally understand the reasons why these players have been rested and why Jimmy is playing. Jimmy was by far our best pace bowler in the 2nd ODI and it makes sense to play him for the next one. Bres looked a bit laboured anyway and as for Broad , it's a difficult one as I worry about him being rusty but the guy is so injury prone I also worry about him overdoing it. Swann still looked good yesterday but I wonder if they are also trying to keep their intensity levels up for SA. Obviously alot is about prevention of overwork - even if the more obvious solution would have been to schedule less ODIs - but we all remember what happened to Jimmy after the last Ashes series so to ignore those things would be foolish.

Posted by whatawicket on (June 20, 2012, 11:13 GMT)

no problems with resting players as for shortchanging spectators. you pay ur money u take the chance. would sir alex rest Rooney and think of the 78 thousand man u supporters who would like to watch him on a Saturday of course not. the coach thinks they need or deserve a rest, he has no imput as to the # of games eng are asked to play. in woakes i think we have a cracker jack of a player. and should be in all the one day formats and nice to have another good fast bowler in the test wings. as to the spinner i think he will not be selected and Patel i expect to play. Tredwell will go to SL for the T20

Posted by yorkshirematt on (June 20, 2012, 10:59 GMT)

Im going to sound like a typical yorkie here but I believe we have been short changed. We've paid upwards of 40 quid a ticket to see a second string England bowling attack. We can see the likes of Meaker, Tredwell and Dernbach if we go to a county match. I hope England pick bairstow if Bresnan is being rested to give us some local interest. If not I hope we see a classic innings from Gayle instead.

Posted by SDHM on (June 20, 2012, 10:33 GMT)

On to the two others - Woakes is the most exciting all round talent in England for me and only seems to improve year on year, so I expect to see him as a fixture in the shorter formats soon. Warwickshire seem to have finally realised this and have finally seemed to move him up the order, in one day cricket at least, giving him more time to play. I like Meaker too and would be tempted to put him in ahead of Dernbach, but that would be harsh seeing as he wasn't in the original squad and Dernbach was. Still, although JMC makes a good point of Dernbach bowling at the most difficult moments, I'm not convinced by him as anything other than a T20 bowler. Still, he bowled well when he came in in the UAE and deserves another run out here.

Posted by SDHM on (June 20, 2012, 10:30 GMT)

Meety - Tredwell is in because by resting the three they have England have lost an awful lot of lower order batting, and Tredwell is the closest thing to a like for like replacement for Swann going around in that he's a good player down the order to go with his bowling. Monty's limited overs days for England are probably done, not that they ever really got started (I also feel that after those drops in Galle, his Test days might be up too), which is a shame as he's bowled beautifully for Sussex in the shorter forms over the past couple of years. I'm personally not a fan of Briggs - he seems too defensive, content to take 0-40 off 10 overs as opposed to risk going for a few runs to take wickets. Swann and Ajmal have shown in the past 2 years or so that spinners don't have to be defensively-minded to be successful in ODIs! I'd like to see Lancs throw Kerrigan into one-day cricket - he's learned his craft in the CC, so is more likely to throw the ball up and get it turning than Briggs.

Posted by cricket_106 on (June 20, 2012, 9:54 GMT)

Stuart Meaker is class. Hope he goes well on Friday.

Posted by A_Vacant_Slip on (June 20, 2012, 9:39 GMT)

@jackiethepen on (June 19 2012, 22:27 PM GMT) - don't agree with you. Why burn our player out for no need? I like to keep our top player ready and fresh for Aussie. We owe them for that 6-1 and we need to pay that back. With our top player firing we can easily beat Aussie. That what we all want - right?

Posted by YorkshirePudding on (June 20, 2012, 8:27 GMT)

In effect the rotation policy is as much about ensuring players are properly manage as it is about giving young cricketers exposure to visiting International teams in the big arena in front of 10000+ fans, so that England dont get to 2 weeks before the 2015 WC and have to call on the services of someone whos played fewer than 10 International games. Austrlai managed this in the 90's by having the A-team play both the senior team AND the visting team in tri-angular series, so when they gradualted they were pretty well ready for the next level. England dont do this so the only way to try players is a rotation policy.

Posted by   on (June 20, 2012, 8:00 GMT)

Surely if you are a true England fan, you would prefer to see our players being looked after, and not worry about being 'short changed' by two or three bowlers being rested? I for one do not want to see another great player (for example Flintoff) having to retire at 32 because he was not managed as efficiently as he could have been.

Posted by jmcilhinney on (June 20, 2012, 5:31 GMT)

England are ostensibly resting three bowlers but they lose a reasonable amount of batting there too, so it will be interesting to see how they make up that balance. We may see Patel for Swann because spin hasn't had a major impact anyway and that can make up for some of the batting that may be lost if Dernbach and/or Meaker come in. I'd actually quite like to see Woakes get a run though. I liked what I saw of him when England were last over here in Australia, despite their going down 6-1 in that ODI series. He's maybe a slightly bigger drop off in the bowling department but a bit extra in batting. Given that Dernbach was in the squad before Woakes or Meaker I'd expect him to get a run. He gets a lot of criticism but he was good in UAE was previously not bad on home soil. Let's remember that he pretty much only bowls during power plays and death overs, so he's likely to be more expensive than some other bowlers.

Posted by jmcilhinney on (June 20, 2012, 4:23 GMT)

@Jack Kendall on (June 19 2012, 20:32 PM GMT), sometimes I wonder whether some people actually read. As has been said many times, resting a player is not just about whether they need rest now, and is often not about that at all. It's at least as much about preventing them getting to a point where they need it in the future. I'm quite sure that Broad would be playing if it was 1-1 but with the series won it makes sense to conserve his resources for the many games he has ahead of him.

Posted by Meety on (June 20, 2012, 2:34 GMT)

I would of rested Anderson before Bresnan, but the point is they are rotating their players thru the short formats. For the WI series, in the ODIs I wouldn't of played Broad & Anderson (rested from the entire squad), bringing Broad back in for the T20 match since he's supposed to be the captain. Unless Brenan has an actual injury concern, I wouldn't of rested him yet. Good for England to have a look at their other talent. @5wombats - I disn't think Wombats purred, but I did like what I saw in Woakes, who I think should be a permanent member of the Short Form squads for England. @JG2704 - I think Monty gets overlooked for ODIs as (from memory) he is a pretty poor fielder. I don't think his ODI stats are much chop either (even at List A level). Tredwell IMO, is not a frontline spinner, I would of gone with Briggs, he's young, his List A stats are good, he is the only real spinning candidate (other than Swann), that has more wickets than matches @ List A level.

Posted by Robster1 on (June 19, 2012, 23:45 GMT)

Too many international matches necessitate player resting which then devalues the product and crucially leaves the customer feeling short changed.

Posted by 2.14istherunrate on (June 19, 2012, 22:58 GMT)

As long as they keep the six batters and 5 REAL bowlers I am happy. I doubt if the batting will change from today-after all who has made runs who can be rested? Morgan and Bopara need to get more and Bell is only two games back. Possibly Trott but no-one else has too much of a clue how to bat there in this squad amd the next wo need the runs. Possibly K'wetter for B'stow but I am not keen. Which bowlers should play? Woakes if only to give them a no7 batsman, but Meaker is the exiting one there, so I'd want him in. Finn and A'son need to play to keep the Wi honest so selection may be tricky as D'bach was in the original squad. Hmmm!!

Posted by igorolman on (June 19, 2012, 22:53 GMT)

Yeah, we should flog our Test bowling attack into the ground in a meaningless one-dayer. Genius.

Posted by R_U_4_REAL_NICK on (June 19, 2012, 22:47 GMT)

So they rested Anderson from a test match which he WANTED to play, and turned out to be two days play anyway right? But, now they're letting him play THIS absolutely pointless ODI game, which O.K. is only 10 overs bowling for him at the most... Again, I just don't get it. There's still potentially 50 overs worth of fielding to do as long as England don't use a sub! If he gets injured in this game, it would be a disaster. NOW is the perfect time to trial new players, NOT during a test series when players need to mantain practice/form. Likewise, why is Bell still in there? Go and get that chin healed mate! You've done brilliantly already - the series is won! Get some rest for the upcoming test series...

Posted by 5wombats on (June 19, 2012, 22:42 GMT)

This is good. Woakes in particular is one for the future and had the wombats purring at times in Australia. Tredwell can do a job. Meaker is alright. England have a heck of a lot of games in all formats - can count 7 v WI, 5 v Aus, is it 6 v SA? Ridiculous over-scheduling which we have come to expect. It makes sense to rest players.

Posted by jackiethepen on (June 19, 2012, 22:27 GMT)

I think this is a very poor decision. Tredwell is not good enough to be in the squad let alone play. The same goes for Meaker. The coach should treat the Series seriously and want a whitewash. I can't think of a worse message to send to the Aussies. Who is Flower going to drop to get Bairstow to play? Kieswetter has only had one game, likewise Morgan. Bell and Cook have only played one innings together. What about the spectators at Headingley? Are they going to see the same shambles that we had at Edgbaston. What if the game at Edgbaston had not been rained off? It is taking away any pride of victory that the West Indies might want as revenge.

Posted by JG2704 on (June 19, 2012, 21:50 GMT)

Not against this but why not Monty for Swann? Also why not rest Trott too?

Posted by Lmaotsetung on (June 19, 2012, 21:48 GMT)

Broad and Swann play all 3 formats. There is a very heavy load for England cricketers with Aus series next followed by SA series, followed by T20 WC, followed by India tour. No rest til end of January.

Posted by JG2704 on (June 19, 2012, 21:48 GMT)

@Jack Kendall on (June 19 2012, 20:32 PM GMT) 19 actually

Posted by Rising_Edge1234 on (June 19, 2012, 21:33 GMT)

Bet West Indies win this match :)

Posted by SDHM on (June 19, 2012, 21:08 GMT)

Jack - completely agree. Broad STILL looks out of rhythm to me, he's barely scraping 80mph at times. I just wonder if all the injuries he's had over the past 18 months are beginning to have an effect. Still, part of me is delighted to see Meaker and Woakes get a go - both are hugely exciting young cricketers and should be in and around the team in my eyes. Finn and Meaker tearing into teams is a lip-smacking prospect!

Posted by   on (June 19, 2012, 20:32 GMT)

What a joke! Broads only bowled 20 overs over the two matches.

Tour Results
England v West Indies at Nottingham - Jun 24, 2012
England won by 7 wickets (with 2 balls remaining)
England v West Indies at Leeds - Jun 22, 2012
Match abandoned without a ball bowled
England v West Indies at The Oval - Jun 19, 2012
England won by 8 wickets (with 30 balls remaining)
England v West Indies at Southampton - Jun 16, 2012
England won by 114 runs (D/L method)
Middlesex v West Indians at Lord's - Jun 13, 2012