England name 16-man one-day squad for winter tour
England today named a 16-man squad for this winter's One-Day International series in India and New Zealand.
The squad includes eleven members of the squad who toured Zimbabwe plus Andrew Caddick, Darren Gough, Ashley Giles, Michael Vaughan and Craig White.
Paul Grayson, James Kirtley, Mark Ramprakash, Ryan Sidebottom and Chris Silverwood are the players omitted from the squad that defeated Zimbabwe 5-0 in the ODI series earlier this month.
England will play a five-match ODI series in India after Christmas before flying on to New Zealand for a five-match ODI series against their hosts.
Announcing the squad, Chairman of Selectors, David Graveney, said: "We have chosen this squad with a view to building a One-Day side for the next World Cup in South Africa and beyond.
"A number of experienced ODI players have been omitted from this squad, but we have not drawn a line under anybody's name and will continue to consider players who perform strongly in domestic one-day cricket.
"James Kirtley, Ryan Sidebottom and Chris Silverwood all provided strong competition for places in the pace bowling department. With regard to James, we would like to emphasize that he remains very much part of our future plans and his omission from this squad is wholly unrelated to the ICC Match Referee's decision to report him for a suspect bowling action during the recent series in Zimbabwe.
"Michael Vaughan returns to the squad now that he is fully recovered from injury and his inclusion will give us cover for the established 'openers' as well as providing competition for places in the middle order. We were also keen to retain Owais Shah in the squad as he performed well during the summer and had limited opportunity to impress in Zimbabwe.
"We welcome Darren Gough back into the squad as he is a proven one-day performer. But Darren has only made himself available for a One-Day contract this winter and, regardless of his performances, he will not be considered for the Test series in New Zealand that follows the One-Day Series."
England ODI Squad to tour India and New Zealand 2002
1. Nasser Hussain (Captain) Essex 28.3.68
2. Andrew Caddick Somerset 21.11.68
3. Paul Collingwood Durham 26.5.76
4. Andrew Flintoff Lancashire 6.12.77
5. James Foster Essex 15.4.80
6. Ashley Giles Warwickshire 19.3.73
7. Darren Gough Yorkshire 18.9.70
8. Matthew Hoggard Yorkshire 31.12.76
9. Ben Hollioake Surrey 11.11.77
10. Nick Knight Warwickshire 28.11.69
11. Owais Shah Middlesex 22.10.78
12. Jeremy Snape Gloucestershire 27.4.73
13. Graham Thorpe Surrey 1.8.69
14. Marcus Trescothick Somerset 25.12.75
15. Michael Vaughan Yorkshire 29.10.74
16. Craig White Yorkshire 16.12.69