England in India 2012-13

Finn takes four to boost Test chances

George Dobell in Mumbai

November 27, 2012

Steven Finn bowls in the nets, Haryana v England XI, Ahmedabad, 4th day, November 11, 2012
Steven Finn took a wicket in his first over and finished with four © Getty Images

Steven Finn has boosted his chances of playing in the third Test against India with an impressive display on the first day of the England Performance Programme's game against the D Y Patil Academy XI in Navi Mumbai.

Finn, who missed the first two Tests after sustaining a thigh strain during the opening warm-up match of the tour, claimed 4 for 50*, including a wicket in his first over, and worked up a considerable pace. If Finn suffers no reaction to his workload, he has an excellent chance of forcing his way into the England team for Kolkata in place of an out of sorts Stuart Broad, who has not claimed a wicket in the first two Tests.

Finn bowled four spells of four overs each and left the field on several occasions, but appeared untroubled by the exertion. As well as the wickets, he struck one batsman a painful blow on the hand and generated bounce from a sleepy surface that other bowlers struggled to find.

Earlier in the day England's bowling coach, David Saker, had hinted that a fully fit Finn would prove hard to ignore for the England selectors. "If he gets through unscathed and bowls well, his name will definitely be talked about for selection," Saker said. "He's got that x-factor, a bit of pace, that height that always means you could get variable bounce over here. So his name will be bandied around for sure for that second seamer's spot."

In contrast, Saker was less effusive about Broad. "There's a little bit of an issue, there's no doubt about it," he said. "He hasn't bowled as we would have liked, and he'd be the first to admit that. He's not the first bowler to come over here and find it hard."

Four other members of England's Test squad - Graham Onions, Joe Root, Stuart Meaker and Eoin Morgan - are also playing in the three-day match. Simon Kerrigan, the Lancashire left-arm spinner, claimed 4 for 61 with Meaker (1-34) beating the bat often without much luck. Legspinner Scott Borthwick took the other wicket.

Onions finished wicketless, but conceded only 11 runs from his 14 overs which included six maidens. Later Root compiled an unbeaten 40 off 57 balls as the EPP team began their reply while Varun Chopra had been dismissed.

November 27, 2.15pm: *Steven Finn's bowling figures were corrected

George Dobell is a senior correspondent at ESPNcricinfo

RSS Feeds: George Dobell

Posted by JG2704 on (November 30, 2012, 17:47 GMT)

@Meety on (November 30 2012, 08:20 AM GMT) I probably wouldn't bring Bell right back in but if he was to come back in , for me it would either be for Patel or Trott before Nick. Patel - because I think Jonny is a better batsman and he has done little with the ball , Trott , because he looks in very bad touch but then you're just bringing another bad touch player in for another and if Bell is being picked on credit from past form then Trott by the same token must have more credit in the bank. If you drop Compton , you are also messing up the opening partnership and I think even in the 1st test they averaged around 70. I wonder if they might think about Root afterhis ton vs mediocre opposition

Posted by landl47 on (November 30, 2012, 14:35 GMT)

The Performance Squad game doesn't mean much (or Borthwick is a much better bowler than his career up to now would indicate!). I can only see Meaker playing if both Finn and Broad are unfit- but admittedly that's not a huge stretch. Root's hundred, likewise, came against weak bowling and doesn't put him in the frame over Compton. After his first test duck, Compton's done pretty well, taking part in a century and two 50+ (one unbroken) first-wicket partnerships. His determination in unfamiliar conditions has been good to see. Bell just hasn't mastered subcontinental wickets; he's a fluid strokeplayer, not a grinder like Cook or a hitter like Pietersen, and he's never got his timing right for the slow pace of these wickets. I don't rate Morgan as a test player, now or ever, but maybe Bairstow should be given another chance. At the very least he really lifts the fielding. Patel got two poor decisions in the first test and a useful 20+ in the second, so he keeps his place.

Posted by Meety on (November 30, 2012, 8:20 GMT)

@ Trickstar on (November 28 2012, 23:37 PM GMT) - facts are facts - he has NOT performed over a fairly long period of time away from home. His prime success in the period you talk about have been at home against "great" touring teams like SL & WIndies!!!! I will be happy for him to tour Oz & play in the Ashes. @ jg2704 - no I noticed a few comments on a couple of articles that where people either wanted Trott or Compton dropped for Bell. Which I think is pretty close to insane. I agree that IF Bell has to be picked it is Bairstow or Patel, but I think both of those players have a good score around the corner which I don't see in Bell. @riprock on (November 29 2012, 14:49 PM GMT) -When I said its not so much about the runs scored, I was meaning Compton has looked much more assured, & likely to get a score than Bell. Fact is the runs he & Cook got to secure the win was roughly what England got dismissed for in the UAE - so I am NOT discounting. BTW - I don't want Patel dropped!

Posted by CricketingStargazer on (November 30, 2012, 7:46 GMT)

End of discussion. Meaker is back with the Performance Squad. Finn almost certainly in for Broad.

Posted by riprock on (November 29, 2012, 14:49 GMT)

@samuelH.. A huge victory is far from what Eng would've expected.and the mood in the camp must be more of optimism than nerves.They don't have many headaches in batting selections as such..and can just afford to go easy in atleast rotating their opening prospects.The emphasis on a debutant's scores have expectedly been overshadowed by the result and unlikely margin of victory.I didn't say Compton should be kicked out mercilessly to be never given a chance.Perhaps.. an Indian win next test and a Compton failure..or just the latter could give the suggestion more validity.

@meety. you're contradicting yourself mate.You talk about how its not just about the runs yet mention (with brackets) NC's position in the aggregates list.That after evaluating his cameo which'll give him an extra tally in the no. of inn played? Also,you're indirectly just calling for Morgan's inclusion if you're saying Bell sucks and Patel isn't needed.Bell and Morgan ahead of JB and Patel is still a good possibility.

Posted by CricketingStargazer on (November 29, 2012, 14:15 GMT)

@Heart_of_oak That is exactly why I would have had Tim Bresnan in my side. He is an old-ball, reverse-swing specialist who showed good form in the warm-up matches and was a far more likely wicket-taker in Indian conditions than Jimmy Anderson (1 wicket so far in the two matches). I was bitterly disappointed by his lacklustre performance in the Test and would like to know what had happened to him.

Posted by CricketingStargazer on (November 29, 2012, 13:14 GMT)

Finn wicketless in 7 overs at close to full pace today. Meaker or Finn for Kolkata? Interesating poser.

Posted by CricketingStargazer on (November 29, 2012, 12:53 GMT)

The margin of victory was an innings and 193 runs so, with England 280 ahead overnight, they apparently declared overnight and bowled the Academy out for 87.

Posted by CricketingStargazer on (November 29, 2012, 12:51 GMT)

@Heart_of_Oak, no, but I can tell you that Scott Borthwick took 6-38 in the win and Meaker 3-8. And Stuart Meaker is saying that he was very very close to being picked ahead of Broad at Mumbai.

Posted by Heart_of_Oak on (November 29, 2012, 12:44 GMT)

I found it on the ecb site. Not a full score card but some stats. Yes, Meaker's 3 for 8 would have been pretty devastating. This backs up what I say about providing something different. Meaker isn't like Broad, Bresnan, Jimmy or Finn. He reminds me a bit fo Malcolm Marhsall. Extreme pace from a guy who isn't exceptionally tall. What's also pleasing is he only gave away 8 runs. To me that suggests he's pretty accurate or at least that he was in this game. As to the test team, would it be such a risk to pick both Meaker and Finn ? If we had Cook, Compton, Trott, KP, and one of Bell/Root/Morgan, then Prior that's 6 batsmen. We could then have a bowling attack of Swann, Finn, Jimmy, Meaker and Monty. Swann is no mean bat but this does give us a fairly long tail so the top 5 must score. However, if they don't then this attack is going to make life hard for the opposition. If Finn breaks down, as I think people fear, then we've still got Meaker and Jimmy for the fast bowling.

Posted by Heart_of_Oak on (November 29, 2012, 12:21 GMT)

CricketingStargazer, have you got a more up to date score card than cricinfo ? I can't find any details of the 2nd innings.

Posted by CricketingStargazer on (November 29, 2012, 11:32 GMT)

Hmmm. As predicted, Stuart Meaker has also made a strong bid for the 3rd Test today. 3-8 will not harm his case at all.

Posted by CricketingStargazer on (November 29, 2012, 10:50 GMT)

Incidentally, I note that this match is not First Class because it is now confirmed to be 12 v 12 (11 bat, 11 field).

Posted by Heart_of_Oak on (November 29, 2012, 10:30 GMT)

CricketingStargazer, both Broad and Bresnan have produced great performances for England. My point was that I see their selection as defensive. It was the same thinking that meant Monty wasn't selected for the 1st test. Selection shouldn't just be based on past performances or future potential though both are valid criteria. We should also consider conditions, fitness, how the opposition play a bowler etc. In England, our pitches and weather are generally more suited to the Broad Bresnan style of bowling. But in India the Indians play Broad and Bresnan with ease so we need something different. We have 2 great spin bowlers in Swan and Monty, operating well right now in Indian conditions so we can leave the spin department as it is. Only Jimmy of the seamers is performing anything like reasonably so we need to freshen up the seam attack. Finn is the logical choice. His pace and bounce could cause problems. An attack of Anderson, Finn, Monty and Swan is just that - attacking.

Posted by JG2704 on (November 29, 2012, 10:11 GMT)

@Meety on (November 29 2012, 01:56 AM GMT) Where did you read about Compton being dropped. TBH if they drop Compton and bring Bell back in for him then I'd even consider rooting for India. I'm not AS against them bringing Bell back in but Compton has improved throughout the series and IMO is gaining momentum. Surely if you were going to drop Nick it would be after the 1st test and if you were going to make room for Bell it would be JB as a last in case , Patel because he's not made a score and his bowling has been ineffective or even Trott because he possibly looks most all at sea. After the 1st inns/1st test Nick has been part of opening partnerships worth 126/66 and 58 (unbroken). Are you kidding me re this

Posted by CricketingStargazer on (November 29, 2012, 9:02 GMT)

@Heart_of_oak Tim Bresnan is also a very fine bowler who came into the side in the 2010 Ashes and played magnificently. However, after his injury last winter he lost some zip. In the tour matches before the 1st Test he seemed to have got that zip back. At his best he is aggresive, will reverse swin and does a fine job with the old ball (not too many seamers enjoy that duty), as well as being a steady foil for whichever specialist bat is leading the resistence. Broad, what can I say? Two years ago people were suggesting that he should bat at 7 and take on the Andrew Flintoff role. Like Freddy at one stage of his career, he has got lazy and is not doing the job that we know he can do. Back in 2003 there were plenty of people saying that Andrew Flintoff should never play for England again... that winter he made the final breakthrough. Had he been dropped then we would never have seen the best of Fred. Would that Stuart Broad reacts the same way.

Posted by Heart_of_Oak on (November 29, 2012, 8:41 GMT)

The pace attack of Finn, Onions and Meaker strikes me as alot better than Anderson, Broad and Bresnan. Jimmy's a fine bowler but I think Broad and Bresnan get in the team because they are only reasonable as both batsmen and bowlers. This strikes me as indicative of a very defensive selection. In other words, it's as if we select a team because we're worried we won't make enough runs rather than selecting the best bowlers to get the other side out cheaply.

Posted by CricketingStargazer on (November 29, 2012, 7:39 GMT)

@JG, the headline and link text were also changed! It was headlined with Finn's 5-for. Today is the day when we will see if Steve Finn really is ready to play a Test. I wonder what Stuart Broad is thinking right now? However, there is just a chance that a Meaker 5-for could stir things up a bit, although to pick Meaker (not in squad) over a guy who was a likely first choice originally would look odd to say the least.

Posted by Meety on (November 29, 2012, 1:56 GMT)

@JG2704 - Quinney out, Hastings in. Patto out, Starc in. Plus anybody that is fit & can bowl around 140kph! I don't know who is fit! The guy I really wanted to play at the WACA - can't even get a game for NSW at the moment & he hurt his ankle being 12th man! (Copeland). Others like Coulter-Nile & Cuttings aren't getting the bagful of wickets at the right time either! In all seriousness, I would be very surprised if Siddle & Hilfy doesn't play. BTW - am I reading it right that 1) Compton is close to being dropped (7th highest runscorer in this series out of BOTH sides), & 2) Bell is seriously being considerd for the 3rd Test? It's not so much about the runs, with Compton he has added solidity at the top, something that wasn't always happening in Strauss last 2 seasons. Opposite with Bell, in that he looks like a walking wicket. I'd give bairstow another go, particularly in light of bit unlucky in one dismissal. With Monty & Swanny doing so well, is Patel needed?

Posted by Trickstar on (November 28, 2012, 23:37 GMT)

@meety Nice bit of stats picking there mate, why leave out what was probably one of the best fast bowling performances in the sub continent I've seen from anyone the last few years, he was amazing out there. Also just to look up stats doesn't tell you the whole story,he's bowled on some of the flattest pitches ever seen (WI in 09) and again bowed excellent. More than that, in Aus and SL where his average is high he bowled pretty well but just didn't get the wickets he deserved, he also broke down mid test on both tours. The fact is up to him getting injured in SL he had easily been England's best bowler, taking 62 wickets @ 22 the previous 16 months or so. The England management have been guilty a few times of bringing him back unfit, in 2010 against SL he came back after breaking down and having hardly bowled and it showed. England should have never brought him on tour tbh, but they seem to want to play him to balance the side which is not needed,just pick the best fit bowlers.

Posted by CricketingStargazer on (November 28, 2012, 21:13 GMT)

Interesting to see that the bookies have India warm favourites for the 3rd Test. Obviously they expect England to relax and India to come back strongly. However, Since 1977 just once have India won more than a single Test when England have played a series in India. And when England have won a Test in a series in those years they have never lost the series.

Posted by SDHM on (November 28, 2012, 20:23 GMT)

@riprock - what I'm saying is that Compton has done nothing to be dropped. Morgan and Bopara have been given plenty of chances - Morgan played the better part of 20 Tests, Bopara 15 or so (although Ravi to be fair was in & out of the side). Root did nothing to push the selectors in the warm-up games, although he has a 100 here, but why on Earth make a big change to a winning side? Opening partnerships need time - to change it on the basis of 'giving a youngster a run-out' in a crunch game which if England win will secure them at least a share of the spoils in a huge series is a ridiculous call to make. As I said, I'm glad you're not picking the team.

Posted by JG2704 on (November 28, 2012, 18:51 GMT)

@Mat Dexter on (November 28 2012, 15:27 PM GMT) Thanks for the link - where was it? I checked the live scores etc

@CS/JBW - I never doubted you for a minute. Did they also change the headline or was the headline always correct - just the figurew in the article which were wrong?

Posted by Hardy1 on (November 28, 2012, 16:36 GMT)

This guy's too good not to play, doesn't matter who he replaces in the team England would be foolish to not have Finn leading their attack.

Posted by CricketingStargazer on (November 28, 2012, 16:12 GMT)

The Day 2 update is there now. Pretty one-sided. There is a fair chance of it ending up as an innings victory. Most of the Academy side have First Class or List A experience. but it is definitely not high-quality opposition.

Posted by   on (November 28, 2012, 15:27 GMT)

Scorecard can be found here.

I found it in a roundabout way yesterday.

No 2nd day updates though.

Posted by riprock on (November 28, 2012, 12:44 GMT)

@samuelH.. To expect a debutant opening in a hostile environment against quality opposition to score big right away would be kinda optimistic.Compton was decent..but going by the Eng admin's general approach..he can't afford too many more failures as a newcomer.Bopara, Taylor or Morgan would know better about that.And considering Eng's high confidence after the victory, testing a promising youngster is worth a gamble in trying conditions.Look at how well you've noticed Compton's qualities..how would you know what impressive traits Root's got...possibly along with more runs than the former..without trying him out? The convenient situation can ease Eng a lil to take a chance to find Strauss' permanent replacement. It'd be too harsh to leave Bell out.Patel as a specialist batsman, with Monty in the XI does not exactly make sense.He did earn a place with a warm-up century but his chances may come more on seamer-friendly tracks as fifth bowler or as second spinner on spin-assisted ones.

Posted by CricketingStargazer on (November 28, 2012, 11:59 GMT)

"JG, they corrected as a result of my comment (note the asterisk alongside his figures and the footnote with the correction!)

Posted by PanGlupek on (November 28, 2012, 11:32 GMT)

I don't usually talk about selection when I comment on these, but as it's vaguely relevant to the article, and nobody has pointed out something I think the selectors may be getting wrong, I'll make an exception:-

I'm not sure if Morgan's just not looking good in the nets, but I'd be tempted to bring him in for Bairstow or Patel (assuming Bell will walk back in). It may be harsh on Samit, who's been unlucky, but he's surely a better player of spin than Bairstow, and it's possible that India aren't great at bowling to left-handers?

As for the tail looking too long without Broad or Bresnan, I'd say that's worth the risk - you need to pick the bowlers who will get you the wickets, right?

Posted by Heart_of_Oak on (November 28, 2012, 10:54 GMT)

Crickinfo, Please can you post the scorecard for the England performance program game in which Finn is currently playing ? You clearly have the score somewhere since you're reporting on the match and providing wicket taking details, you're just not providing a score card.

Posted by   on (November 28, 2012, 10:10 GMT)

@JG2704 Yeah they corrected it, definitely had a total of 11 wickets taken at first. Also I second the call for a scorecard.

Posted by JG2704 on (November 28, 2012, 9:21 GMT)

@CricketingStargazer on (November 27 2012, 13:18 PM GMT) Either you misread or they've corrected it but it says Finn took 4 for 50.

@Cricinfo - any clhance of a link to the scorecard. I cheacked the live scores and it wasn't listed?

Posted by JG2704 on (November 28, 2012, 9:21 GMT)

@Meety on (November 28 2012, 04:19 AM GMT) So I'm guessing Quinney is the man to go and if Watson is unavailable you go with someone like Starc , but I guess you need someone in for Pattinson too. I'm not sure who is actually fit from your bowlers

Posted by ihaq1 on (November 28, 2012, 8:53 GMT)

Broad probably needs a little bounce to get teh ball upto teh batsman(should bwl short of a good length) and he seems to have lost his speed as well...however apart from Finn i would look at teh spinners in teh performance squad as a replacement for Patel...three accurate spinners are always better than two...i think any of englands replacement fast bowlers maybe better than broad under current circumstances which have been noticed in earlier series as well

Posted by Naresh28 on (November 28, 2012, 8:44 GMT)

@english fans - lots of confident statements being made after your team mauled India in the last game. Bad news for India though as Eng will strengthen their weak areas - whilst India will unlikely not change a thing cause of coach, selectors and captain. Some of the Indian batsman might welcome extra pace from pace bowlers as it will allow the ball to come better onto the bat.

Posted by landl47 on (November 28, 2012, 4:35 GMT)

If Finn is fit, he should play, but don't expect too much. Having seen India struggle on a pitch with a bit of life and bounce, I fully expect the wicket for the third test to be a slow turner. Otherwise I think the side will stay the same except that Bell will come in for Bairstow. England will go into the third test with their confidence high, though I don't expect the game to be as easy.

Posted by Meety on (November 28, 2012, 4:19 GMT)

I have never warmed to Broad, I think when the conditions are suitable he is dangerous, when they are not suitable, he is very very ordinary. In England, his stats look like that of a bowler who is at the very least good, possibly great - an ave of 29, & a S/R of 54. However away from home (exc UAE), his ave is 43 & S/R is 86!!!!!. Away from England I would bowl Mike Hussey (or any bangladesh seamer!) before I'd bowl Broad.!!!!!! @phoenixsteve on (November 27 2012, 16:44 PM GMT) - did I read you correctly Bell in Trott out? You did see Bell's 1st innings dismissal in the 1st Test? I would back over Bell in Indian conditions any day. @ JG2704 on (November 27 2012, 18:50 PM GMT) - btw, I am backing a 5/1/5 split for Oz v Saffas!

Posted by Nerk on (November 28, 2012, 2:52 GMT)

Finn might be able to extract a bit of bounce out of these wickets, put the batsmen on the back foot. It would be good to have his pace and bounce at one end and Swan at the other, really make the batsmen think.

Posted by JustIPL on (November 28, 2012, 2:11 GMT)

It is really ridiculous to demand wholesale changes to the English team who have largely been in command apart from first part of first test and have won second test with huge margin. Patel did not have to bowl and can make way for a full batsmen or a bowler.Any of the three fast bowlers can come in to provide fresh challenges to indian batting. Broad is vice captain and should not be dropped at all. He was the main character of the team who claimed top ICC ranking. Trott/Bell spots need review and should be the only squad changes.

Posted by Lmaotsetung on (November 28, 2012, 1:49 GMT)

I'm guessing it's not a first class match and this is not a Lions squad either. Just there in India to get some experience on sub-continent conditions for some youngsters. Meaker and Finn bowling in tandem would be a sight to behold. One skiddishly fast the other offer extra bounce. If I remember correctly, Meaker had a better outing than Dernbach in last year's ODI tour...he could be the real thing. I think the reason Broad lost some pace is because he's bowling a fuller length and he said it himself he had to tweak a few things and it's harder to bowl a fuller length at pace...at least for him. His natural length is back of length or short.

Posted by MyUserName on (November 28, 2012, 0:55 GMT)

Broad hasn't scored runs for ages, so I don't see why dropping him for Finn should be a concern with regards to the length of the tail. Anyway, surely the lesson of the Second Test is that selecting bowlers who are capable of taking wickets can mean there's less pressure on the batsmen (particularly numbers 8-11) to score runs?

Posted by MyUserName on (November 28, 2012, 0:51 GMT)

"As well as the wickets, he struck one batsman a painful blow on the hand and generated bounce from a sleepy surface that other bowlers struggled to find." The other bowlers struggled to find the surface? That's got to be a concern...

Posted by jmcilhinney on (November 27, 2012, 23:32 GMT)

Finn "generated bounce from a sleepy surface that other bowlers struggled to find". That sounds like exactly what England would like for the last two Tests.

Posted by   on (November 27, 2012, 22:32 GMT)

If Finn replaces Broad England's Tail looks very week Monty Jimmy & Finn cant bat

Posted by phermon on (November 27, 2012, 22:27 GMT)

Sam Carr, I don't get the sense that anyone's writing off Broad, just saying he needs should make way until he regains form and fitness with the ball - it would help if he regained some form with the bat as well. Always pick your best team, I say!

Posted by SDHM on (November 27, 2012, 22:18 GMT)

@Sam Carr - depends on whether you want to pick bowlers who are likely to win you a game with the ball or ones who might contribute a few runs. England's lower order, so brilliant in our rise to the top of the rankings, has been fairly awful this year; Bresnan, Swann & Broad can all bat obviously, but with the way they actually have been batting, it's not really like we're losing much.

Posted by Street_Hawk on (November 27, 2012, 21:22 GMT)

If I were England, I would play Steve Finn as he is tall enough to get bounce from a Eden Gardens pitch..and who does not know that Indian batsmen does not like bounce...Gambhir does not like it, Pujara does not like it..and who else has performed other than those two and Sehwag..Broad is out of form anyways, don't keep a bowler because he can bat better..that's a defensive technique and see the difference in the results of Motera and Mumbai...I would keep Trott in the team and bring in Eoin Morgan for Johny Bairstow as he has played for KKR and familiar with the Eden pitch which used to be slow turner for IPL.

Posted by RodStark on (November 27, 2012, 21:13 GMT)

Is this performance squad game not a first-class fixture? I can't find a scorecard anywhere on Cricinfo, or am I just missing it?

Posted by   on (November 27, 2012, 21:05 GMT)

I don't understand the agonising about dropping one bowler for another. We've been told for so long that England have such strength in depth in the seam bowling department - let's play to our strengths here. Good players bounce back better from a spell out of the team to adjust their game - Broad's probably the only one in the team other than our two premier batsmen who's not been dropped for a while. I can't wait to see Finn in the team again, and would be very happy to see Onions or Meaker there as alternatives - can't do much worse than Broad has been doing.

Posted by SirViv1973 on (November 27, 2012, 20:06 GMT)

@davidpk, I agree with most of your comments but i'm not sure he needs to head back to County cricket just yet. I would certainly play Finn in the remaining 2 tests and would consider sending Broad back to the UK as I don't think bowling on these surfaces are doing him any favors right now. It would also give the selectors a chance to have a look at someone else probably Morgan as the T20 captain as i'm not sure Broad is really captaincy material at international level. I would recall him for the trip to NZL. NZL is like a home from home for Eng, their team isn't the best right now and it would be a great chance for him to find some form in favorable conditions ahead of the Ashes where I still think he could be an important player for Eng.

Posted by SirViv1973 on (November 27, 2012, 19:58 GMT)

@Long Leg, Although if he stays fit I think Finn will take a lot of wickets and could end up Eng leading wicket taker, I think Anderson could well over take Beefy first. After this series Eng don't play any tests in Asia for another 3 yrs. With the exception of the trip to the carribean in 2014 Anderson is likley to have plenty of seamer/swinging conditions to bowl in over that time. If he stays fit and keeps his form I think he will have broken Beefys record by the time Eng go to Pak in Nov 15, at which time he will still only be 33.

Posted by SirViv1973 on (November 27, 2012, 19:45 GMT)

@riprock, Have to agree with @obomb, Compton has done well so far and looks like he has the game to do well as a opener at this level. Each inns he seems to get a bit better and i'm sure he will make a big score before the end of the series. Personally I think he has already done enough to warrant sticking with for at least the rest of this series and the tests against NZL in March. I can also see Bell coming straight back in to the side at 5. I'm not sure its right that he wasn't available for Mumbai and can come straight back in but to be fair Bairstow didn't take his chance even a knock of 40 or 50 might well have seen him keep his place. Samit looks out of his depth but I think he will be given one last chance and if he dosen't get any runs or at least a few wickets I think JB may get the chance to bat 6 in the last test. With Eng now quite rightly playing 2 & 2 Samit's bowling isn't as important as when it was 3 & 1. If needs be KP & trott can bowl a few overs.

Posted by AKS286 on (November 27, 2012, 19:12 GMT)

why samit patel is in the team? and why bresnan is treated as bowler instead he is a all rounder. cook, suppiah, bell, kp, morgan, prior, bresnan/wright, swann,tredwell, anderson, panesar

Posted by JG2704 on (November 27, 2012, 18:54 GMT)

Re Broad , I reckon his injury probs have made him reluctant to go at full throttle which is a shame but he is certainly more of a liability bowling like he has recently

Posted by JG2704 on (November 27, 2012, 18:50 GMT)

@Valavan on (November 27 2012, 14:37 PM GMT) Is Trott a deliberate omission or an oversight there? If the former , then I can't see how you can justify Bell coming back in. Both have been poor but I'd say Trott has more credit in the bank if we're going by past form.

@riprock on (November 27 2012, 15:06 PM GMT) Re Compton - have you not noticed any improvement in him from the 1st test? And re Bell , he looked as bad as anyone in the 1st test and was worse than any other batsman in UAE and was pretty bad in SL and vs SA too. However he might do a fair job as he's coming into a winning side with less pressure etc.

Posted by Dravid_Pujara_Gravitas_Atheist on (November 27, 2012, 18:27 GMT)

If Finn is fit, without a doubt I would drop Broad for Finn. No brainer. Not good news at all for India.

Posted by   on (November 27, 2012, 18:02 GMT)

Now I would just worry about the tail a little with Swann at 8, then it really is 9,10,Jack with Finn, Jimmy and Monty but what the answer is I am not so sure. I would not be so quick to right off Broad yet, although I can see he has some issues - he is a stroppy little so and so at times and strikes me as a bit of a bully in the way he is with Samit and Bres (maybe he has an issue with chunkers?). Add to that he does appear out of form with the ball and to have lost some of ability with the bat. Its a tough decision.

Posted by Dr.Vindaloo on (November 27, 2012, 17:31 GMT)

I agree that Finn is a fine prospect but be careful with his stats. As far as I can recall a large proportion of his wickets were taken against Bangladesh and West Indies in England in successive Mays. He was dropped halfway through the last Ashes series. Plus he is evidently fragile and prone to breaking down. In his favour though he does seem to have a lot more 'ticker' than the petulant and indulged Stuart Broad.

Posted by phoenixsteve on (November 27, 2012, 16:44 GMT)

Much has been written about Stuart Broad's selection and here's some more! It's true that Broad hasn't exactly 'fizzed' in India. It would seem hard to drop him after him being part of the victorious side though. Likewise making room for Bells return? Tough decisions are needed for tough matches and India's refusal to drop Tendulkar is a good example. My side would be Cook, Compton, Bell (for Trott) KP, Bairstow, Patel, Prior, Swann, Monty, Finn (if fit) or Meaker/Onions (if not), Meaker or Onions (for Broad) . No Jimmy or SB and resting Trott would be bold. We need to win the toss and then bat and bat and then bat some more! COME ON ENGLAND!!!

Posted by SDHM on (November 27, 2012, 16:13 GMT)

@riprock - so the young kid who scored no runs in the warm-up games replaces the man who got three 50s and has started his Test career solidly? Compton has looked fine to me so far; he & Cook have now put on 3 consecutive half century partnerships, and he was instrumental in making sure England were positive in a small chase. He has shown he can be a versatile player & has all the qualities needed to succeed, why on Earth destabilise what is beginning to look like a solid foundation at the top of the order? And as for Bell being 'solid' in these conditions - he averaged 8 in the UAE, looked awful in the 1st Test & even with a big 100 against Bangladesh, still only averages about 20 in the Subcontinent. Hardly 'solid'. Patel got a bad decision in Ahmedabad, but looked more comfortable than Bell or Trott have managed against spin in Mumbai, & although he only scored 26, that was more than Bairstow, yet he's the failure? I'm glad you're not a national selector.

Posted by bumsonseats on (November 27, 2012, 16:11 GMT)

broad i feel needs to go back to county cricket. i noticed on sky he was just about 85 mph but looked lethargic and out of sorts. when he came back after SL i think it was in season before last, he looked fitter and bowled with aggression.so maybe he needs that before the aussies arrive for the ashes. would love to see finn, the worlds fastest bowler in action for the 3rd test.

Posted by o-bomb on (November 27, 2012, 15:41 GMT)

@riprock - You would leave out Compton? Why? He's been solid.

Posted by Long-Leg on (November 27, 2012, 15:38 GMT)

As an England fan I am really quite excited about Steve Finn. He has 66 test wickets so far at an average of 28.15 and he is still only 23 which means his game is still developing. Of all our bowlers at present I think Finn is the one most likely to break Ian Botham's England test record for most wickets. I only hope he stays fit and hungry for success throughout his career.

Posted by riprock on (November 27, 2012, 15:06 GMT)

Broad could face the axe considering the importance of picking two spinners on more such rank turners. Patel's batting failures should certainly welcome back Ian Bell. and Broad's lacklustre performances in the 2 Tests so far should bring Finn right back in. After a morale boosting victory, England can also afford to experiment with Root..and present another opportunity to one of Morgan or Bairstow to prove themselves at no.6. Compton, Patel, Broad and Bresnan may well have to sit out. Cook, Root, Trott, KP, Bell, Morgan/Bairstow, Prior, Swann, Finn, Anderson, Panesar.

Posted by Valavan on (November 27, 2012, 14:37 GMT)

Its great to see Finn is fit. England should not relax now, they must produce one more all round show to make sure the series is either won or squared. I feel the best possible squad can be Cook,Compton,Bell,KP,Morgan,Samit/Root, Prior,Swann,Anderson,Finn and Monty.AS zulu asked what really happened with Tremlett?? Let Morgan captain T20s and Broad take a christmas vacation from today until the ODI series starts. cricinfo please publish.

Posted by PanGlupek on (November 27, 2012, 14:24 GMT)

@Zulu Flow Zion, Tremlett's had injury probs for ages now, but would probably be considered next Summer if he plays well for Surrey & stays fit. Sidebottom's retired from internationals, but he's lost a yard or two of pace. Would still be a good pick for ODI/T20 if he wasn't unavailable (in my humble opinion).

I agree, England's selectors do seem to love Broad a bit too much, but then again, he'd been really good for a long time, up till a few months ago. Probably just needs a long rest...

Posted by CricketingStargazer on (November 27, 2012, 14:22 GMT)

@Zulu, he is still coming back from serious injury, but he did play a few games last summer, mainly for Surrey Second XI. The betting is that Chris Tremlett will not be risked again except, perhaps, in a one-off situation where a replacement is needed for a single match. Yes, I wish that he were in India, but even if he were completely fit and available, he would be too big a risk to take touring any longer.

Posted by Front-Foot-Lunge on (November 27, 2012, 14:16 GMT)

The fastest bowler in the world in 2012. And back from his fitness problems too. Watch out India, Steven Finn is coming for you next.

Posted by   on (November 27, 2012, 14:11 GMT)

whatever happened to C.Tremlett? Onions and Sidebottom are formidable too - Englands pace bowling ranks run deep. Why they insist on picking Broad befuddles me

Posted by whoster on (November 27, 2012, 14:07 GMT)

Good news that Finn is bowling well and looking fit. Broad's having a tough time, and it makes total sense to give his place to Finn. His pace and bounce are the ingredients missing from England's bowling attack, and I'm hopeful he'll make an impact.

Posted by   on (November 27, 2012, 13:25 GMT)

If Finn Plays the balance two tests , I may not be Surprised if India LOSE this Series.......

Posted by CricketingStargazer on (November 27, 2012, 13:18 GMT)

If Finn took 5-50, Meaker 1-34, Kerrigan 4-61 and Borthwick "took the other wicket" I can only assume that this was a 12-a-side match.

Posted by bijumonssss on (November 27, 2012, 12:58 GMT)

finn is a best optionfoe next tests!! always creating opportunities THAT THE ABILITY FINN we want to watch you against the[ paper] TIGERS?!!!

George DobellClose
Tour Results
India v England at Dharamsala - Jan 27, 2013
England won by 7 wickets (with 16 balls remaining)
India v England at Mohali - Jan 23, 2013
India won by 5 wickets (with 15 balls remaining)
India v England at Ranchi - Jan 19, 2013
India won by 7 wickets (with 131 balls remaining)
India v England at Kochi - Jan 15, 2013