New Zealand news August 7, 2010

Ryder in trouble for late night noise

Cricinfo staff

Jesse Ryder has added another chapter to his troubled career after being fined for "intoxicated and rowdy" behaviour at a hotel during an indoor cricket tournament in the first week of July. Ryder, who is currently out of the New Zealand side with an elbow injury, admitted to a serious misconduct charge but is expected to be available for the tour of Bangladesh in September.

"I accept that being intoxicated and rowdy during the night put me in a position where I put New Zealand Cricket and my own reputation at risk and I accept this is not tolerable," Ryder said in a letter to New Zealand Cricket. "The potential consequences of this event have distressed me over the last few weeks."

Ryder said he had apologised to the hotel for his behaviour after a noise complaint was lodged. He had been staying there with his indoor cricket team.

"I have put a lot of time into working out a plan to prevent me being in this position again," he said. "I am committed to making the right changes in my life as I really want a long career as a professional cricket player. I've had enough of getting into this sort of trouble and bringing attention to myself."

The most serious of Ryder's indiscretions came in 2008 when he put his right hand through a glass window during a late-night session at a Christchurch bar. Early last year he gave up alcohol after another incident.

"I know the changes I am making do not dismiss the misconduct issue, however I am fully committed to [New Zealand] and I am committed to doing what is necessary to be the best I can be," he said. "I am grateful to NZC for sticking by me and I want to thank them by performing for many years to come."

Geoff Allott, NZC's general manger of cricket, said the matter was viewed "very seriously". "NZC is extremely disappointed in this breach of trust and protocol by Jesse," he said. "We have seen some positive progress from Jesse in recent times, which makes this incident even more disappointing. Jesse has been fined in line with our serious misconduct provisions and clearly understands we will not tolerate a repetition of this type of behaviour." He gave Ryder credit for letting NZC know about the incident.

Allott told the Herald on Sunday that although NZC were aware of the incident before Ryder's fitness test on July 21, which ruled him out of the Sri Lanka tri-series, the issue had "no influence on the decision to keep him back from Sri Lanka".