- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc Gooch b Gough632421018.75c DeFreitas b Hick7214520612049.65c Crawley b Fraser718271038.88c †Rhodes b Gough10521729515048.38c †Rhodes b Gough839361020.51b White32791063040.50c †Rhodes b Fraser29761314038.15lbw b Gough2635373074.28b White41365460113.88c †Rhodes b Fraser831401025.80not out514170035.71Extras18 (lb 9, nb 9)TOTAL357 all out (118.5 Overs, RR: 3.0)Fall of wickets: 1-18 (Andrew Hudson, 9.6 ov), 2-35 (Hansie Cronje, 15.3 ov), 3-141 (Gary Kirsten, 48.5 ov), 4-164 (Peter Kirsten, 59.6 ov), 5-239 (Jonty Rhodes, 85.5 ov), 6-241 (Kepler Wessels, 88.5 ov), 7-281 (David Richardson, 97.6 ov), 8-334 (Craig Matthews, 109.4 ov), 9-348 (Brian McMillan, 114.4 ov), 10-357 (Fanie de Villiers, 118.5 ov)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc Wessels b Donald2064892031.25b Donald12111320109.09c Hudson b de Villiers916292056.25c †Richardson b de Villiers38881347043.18lbw b de Villiers2039451051.28c †Richardson b Donald10631011015.87b McMillan1527341055.55not out638590015.78c Wessels b Donald2010940200.00c & b Donald1215182080.00run out3770042.85Extras15 (b 2, lb 5, nb 8)TOTAL180 all out (61.3 Overs, RR: 2.92)Fall of wickets: 1-19 (Alec Stewart, 2.6 ov), 2-41 (John Crawley, 9.3 ov), 3-68 (Mike Atherton, 19.1 ov), 4-107 (Graham Gooch, 29.6 ov), 5-119 (Graeme Hick, 39.5 ov), 6-136 (Steve Rhodes, 48.1 ov), 7-141 (Craig White, 53.2 ov), 8-161 (Phil DeFreitas, 55.3 ov), 9-176 (Darren Gough, 59.6 ov), 10-180 (Angus Fraser, 61.3 ov)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRst †Rhodes b Hick441261708034.92lbw b Fraser34110075.00c Fraser b Gough3267996047.76c Crawley b Salisbury281081145025.92b Gough421291635032.55b Gough32681023147.05not out3965984060.00c †Rhodes b Fraser324340012.50b Gough2538645065.78Extras30 (b 8, lb 10, nb 12)TOTAL278/8d (102.3 Overs, RR: 2.71)Fall of wickets: 1-14 (Andrew Hudson), 2-73 (Hansie Cronje), 3-101 (Gary Kirsten), 4-141 (Kepler Wessels), 5-208 (Jonty Rhodes), 6-209 (Peter Kirsten), 7-220 (David Richardson), 8-278 (Craig Matthews)
- BATSMENRBM4s6sSRc McMillan b de Villiers837490021.62c †Richardson b Matthews27821432032.92c Hudson b McMillan724400029.16lbw b McMillan117920157.14lbw b Donald2851644054.90c Wessels b Matthews011000.00not out1443722032.55c G Kirsten b Matthews1650016.66retired hurt0614000.00lbw b Donald053000.00lbw b McMillan11421007.14Extras2 (b 1, lb 1)TOTAL99 all out (45.5 Overs, RR: 2.16)Fall of wickets: 1-16 (Mike Atherton), 2-29 (John Crawley), 3-45 (Graeme Hick), 4-74 (Alec Stewart), 5-74 (Craig White), 6-82 (Graham Gooch), 7-85 (Phil DeFreitas), 7-86* (Darren Gough, retired not out ), 8-88 (Ian Salisbury), 9-99 (Angus Fraser)
Player Of The Match
- Thu, 21 Jul - day 1 - South Africa 1st innings 244/6 (BM McMillan 2*, DJ Richardson 1*)
- Fri, 22 Jul - day 2 - England 1st innings 141/7 (IDK Salisbury 3*)
- Sat, 23 Jul - day 3 - South Africa 2nd innings 195/4 (PN Kirsten 40*, JN Rhodes 23*)
- Sun, 24 Jul - day 4 - England 2nd innings 99 (45.5 ov) - end of match
- GA Gooch (when 5*) overtook IVA Richards to become Test cricket's 4th most prolific scorer.
- D Gough retired hurt at 86/7
- Atherton was fined 2000 pounds by chairman of selectors Illingworth for rubbing dirt on the ball while in the field, then allegedly lying about the matter to referee Burge afterwards.
- Atendance: 103,198 Receipts: 2,253,275 pounds sterling
Fanie de Villiers on the time he red-carded the egg-and-bacon-tie brigade
It seems extraordinary to recall now, given all the seismic scandals that have clawed away at the integrity of cricket over the past decade, but at the start of the 1990s, there was no issue more emotive than ball-tampering