<
>

Siddle and Bollinger take a step back

Two of Australia's fringe Test bowlers are fighting to get into a pace attack that now looks settled following the troubles in India. Peter Siddle and Doug Bollinger were both in the squad for that tour but have not been given any more opportunities to play.

Siddle, who took four wickets on debut in Mohali, was in the 12 for Adelaide before being squeezed out by Shane Watson's return for the opening Test against South Africa in Perth on Wednesday. But Bollinger, who was also part of the Caribbean visit earlier in the year, has been stuck operating for New South Wales.

The openings for both players have become more limited following Australia's 2-0 win over New Zealand. "The trip to India was good, being around the side for the first two Tests was good," Siddle said in the Herald Sun. "But I've really just got to keep pressing hard, keep performing for Victoria and if the opportunity is there I'll be ready to go."

Siddle wants more bowling after a quiet start to the season and his next engagement is a Pura Cup game for the Bushrangers against Western Australia in Melbourne on Monday. "Obviously I wish I was still over in Perth with the Australian side for the Test, but I get to play some cricket here with Victoria, which I haven't played for a while," he said. "Hopefully I can press my claims some more and see how I go for Melbourne or Sydney."

In India Siddle sneaked into the team ahead of Bollinger. "It would be good to mope around and be a sore loser but you can't do that," Bollinger said in the Sydney Morning Herald. "You've just got to get on with it and, hopefully, my time will come. I am not thinking about too many things in front of me, that is when I will start to slip."

Bollinger has seven wickets in two first-class games this season and five one-day victims in three matches. He knows what has to happen for a promotion. "All I can do is keep doing what I'm doing, taking wickets," he said.