Neither helmet design nor the medical attention received after he was struck by a bouncer played any role in the death of Phillip Hughes, according to an independent review commissioned by Cricket Australia.

The findings of the review, conducted by former president of the Australian Bar Association, David Curtain QC, were released on Wednesday.

The review concluded that although there was "apparently a delay" in the arrival of an ambulance, which reached the side of the field at the SCG 20 minutes after the initial incident in the Sheffield Shield match in November 2014, Hughes was being cared for appropriately by medical staff in the interim.

"I am of the opinion that the attention received by Phillip after being struck had no role whatsoever on his subsequent demise, due to the nature and severity of his injury," Mr Curtain wrote.

At the time when he was struck, Hughes was wearing a helmet that complied with an Australian Standard, but not with the more recent British Standard. Mr Curtain stated that the more recent model essentially "involves the grille protecting the face being extended further to the rear of the helmet".

"I do not believe that the new helmet would have afforded additional protection against the blow given the location of where Phillip was struck, as the protection to the neck, at the rear, is no different," Mr Curtain wrote.

However, the review featured several recommendations for improving the safety of cricketers on the field, including the suggestion that wicketkeepers standing up to the stumps should wear head protection and eye protection. Fielders in close positions, such as silly mid-on and silly mid-off, should also wear helmets, he said.

Mr Curtain also noted that suggestions had been made for cricket's rules to be changed to allow substitutes for players who had suffered concussion, and while he made no direct recommendation he drew it to Cricket Australia's attention "that this may be a matter requiring ongoing consideration, and is a relevant issue for Occupational Health and Safety."

Cricket Australia's chief executive James Sutherland, endorsed the recommendations of the review.

"The global cricket community was deeply saddened by the tragic death of Phillip Hughes and the great loss his family suffered," Sutherland said. "We received Mr Curtain's review last season and since that time we have been considering his recommendations and discussing with relevant bodies as to how we best make changes necessary to prevent an accident of this nature happening again.

"While there will always be a small risk we believe that the measures we have already taken and will enact following this review will reduce that risk even further."

As well as the independent review commissioned by Cricket Australia, a coronial inquest into Hughes' death is likely to be scheduled to take place in Sydney in October this year.

"We have had ongoing open dialogue with the New South Wales Crown Solicitor and have indicated that we will be as cooperative as possible with any coronial inquest," Sutherland said. "Never again do we want to see a tragedy of that nature happen on a cricket field and we have shared the findings of this review with the coroner."

Brydon Coverdale is an assistant editor at ESPNcricinfo. @brydoncoverdale